Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

MGI Zip Navigator AT

GolferXY

I play in the pacific northwest, and you may have guessed that it gets a bit damp in these parts.  That doesn't water down the passion for golf, but it makes seasonal play the rule of the day.  Courses stay wet for 8 months of the year, and carts stay on the path for most if not all of that time.  Besides, I like walking better but carrying a bag is no longer an option if I want to enjoy the game.  I pushed a cart around for a few years and a few beers, but took a turn around a prestigious course and dug deep in the packets for a caddy [yes we have one or two world class courses up in these parts, but they're as rare as shooting a 59] .  And man, did I enjoy that experience!

When I saw the Zip Navigator online, it seemed to fit the bill.  For $1800 I got the trolley with all the fancy doodads like a seat, umbrella and cup holders, and remote control.  I could walk the course again without the pain in my feet and shoulders, and I secretly thought that it might be nice to have a motorized cart to help me up the steeper hills.  Hey, golf may be a good walk spoiled but that should be because of the shots you hit, not the pain in your feet!  And it's waterproof [several other brands were quick to warn me not to use them in the rain]. So, a quick look over the shoulder to make sure my wife was watching TV, and I whipped out the credit card.

Oh man!  I LOVE using a motorized cart!  But there are a couple of caveats I'd like to share about my experience.

First, this is the 2nd cart I've purchased.  I used the first for a month and it up and quit on me on the 17th hole.  Just stopped working completely.  Battery was full when I started the round, and I had kept it on the charger 24/7 as recommended by MGI.  I had to pop the wheels into the non-motorized position and push that new...and full!...cart bag uphill for two holes.  Maybe I shouldn't put so much stuff in there, but it's like a garage...you find stuff to fill it up.  Didn't spoil my day, but like I said, it can get damp around here, and that means a bit slippery in places.  So, back to the store it went, and I purchased another one.

I'm currently using the second iteration, but I'm not using the remote.  It got stuck on "For the love of God that thing can keep up with my partner's golf cart" speed the 2nd time I used it.  If you ever heard "Runaway cart" while golfing in the northwest, it was probably me chasing that thing across the 14th fairway.  So now I keep it nice and close.

I still love the freedom and comfort it supplies, but there are a couple of negatives besides the remote.  And the unexpected cardio workout.

First, it's supposed to have a gyroscope built in that keeps it on a straight course.  This has never worked on either cart.  I have to keep adjusting it to keep it going where I want it to go.

Second, this model is supposed to have a downhill brake that keeps it from rolling when stopped on a downhill lie.  Nope.  It creeps like Thing in the Addams Family.

Third, I mentioned the remote.  The first remote worked great, allowing me to maneuver around greenside bunkers and across bridges and the like.  The second is useless and you can't replace them because each unit comes from the factory with a specific frequency assigned.  Maybe I just got a lemon remote. But wait! 

You can still drive it around manually.  There are buttons on the handle for speed and start/stop.  A couple things to note here, the speed settings are adjusted with a very touchy rotary dial and it can be tricky getting it to the correct speed.  You have to adjust when you are going uphill [faster], downhill [slower], and on the flat. 

The walking pace never seems to be perfect for me, too fast on setting #5, too slow on #4.  And be careful not to double tap the stop button or it will be YOU running across the fairway yelling for your cart to stop!

Lastly, and perhaps most important for budget conscious golfers, this is a very expensive model.  There are cheaper options.

Overall, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me.  Your yardage may vary.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

Good rundown. I also have a Zip Navigator and also am really happy with it!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, GolferXX said:

I play in the pacific northwest, and you may have guessed that it gets a bit damp in these parts.  That doesn't water down the passion for golf, but it makes seasonal play the rule of the day.  Courses stay wet for 8 months of the year, and carts stay on the path for most if not all of that time.  Besides, I like walking better but carrying a bag is no longer an option if I want to enjoy the game.  I pushed a cart around for a few years and a few beers, but took a turn around a prestigious course and dug deep in the packets for a caddy [yes we have one or two world class courses up in these parts, but they're as rare as shooting a 59] .  And man, did I enjoy that experience!

When I saw the Zip Navigator online, it seemed to fit the bill.  For $1800 I got the trolley with all the fancy doodads like a seat, umbrella and cup holders, and remote control.  I could walk the course again without the pain in my feet and shoulders, and I secretly thought that it might be nice to have a motorized cart to help me up the steeper hills.  Hey, golf may be a good walk spoiled but that should be because of the shots you hit, not the pain in your feet!  And it's waterproof [several other brands were quick to warn me not to use them in the rain]. So, a quick look over the shoulder to make sure my wife was watching TV, and I whipped out the credit card.

Oh man!  I LOVE using a motorized cart!  But there are a couple of caveats I'd like to share about my experience.

First, this is the 2nd cart I've purchased.  I used the first for a month and it up and quit on me on the 17th hole.  Just stopped working completely.  Battery was full when I started the round, and I had kept it on the charger 24/7 as recommended by MGI.  I had to pop the wheels into the non-motorized position and push that new...and full!...cart bag uphill for two holes.  Maybe I shouldn't put so much stuff in there, but it's like a garage...you find stuff to fill it up.  Didn't spoil my day, but like I said, it can get damp around here, and that means a bit slippery in places.  So, back to the store it went, and I purchased another one.

I'm currently using the second iteration, but I'm not using the remote.  It got stuck on "For the love of God that thing can keep up with my partner's golf cart" speed the 2nd time I used it.  If you ever heard "Runaway cart" while golfing in the northwest, it was probably me chasing that thing across the 14th fairway.  So now I keep it nice and close.

I still love the freedom and comfort it supplies, but there are a couple of negatives besides the remote.  And the unexpected cardio workout.

First, it's supposed to have a gyroscope built in that keeps it on a straight course.  This has never worked on either cart.  I have to keep adjusting it to keep it going where I want it to go.

Second, this model is supposed to have a downhill brake that keeps it from rolling when stopped on a downhill lie.  Nope.  It creeps like Thing in the Addams Family.

Third, I mentioned the remote.  The first remote worked great, allowing me to maneuver around greenside bunkers and across bridges and the like.  The second is useless and you can't replace them because each unit comes from the factory with a specific frequency assigned.  Maybe I just got a lemon remote. But wait! 

You can still drive it around manually.  There are buttons on the handle for speed and start/stop.  A couple things to note here, the speed settings are adjusted with a very touchy rotary dial and it can be tricky getting it to the correct speed.  You have to adjust when you are going uphill [faster], downhill [slower], and on the flat. 

The walking pace never seems to be perfect for me, too fast on setting #5, too slow on #4.  And be careful not to double tap the stop button or it will be YOU running across the fairway yelling for your cart to stop!

Lastly, and perhaps most important for budget conscious golfers, this is a very expensive model.  There are cheaper options.

Overall, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me.  Your yardage may vary.

I have had the MGI Zip Navigator AT for over 2 years and have had no issues at all. I love mine! As previously stated, the gyro features and downhill brake only work when using the remote. Their customer service team are great if you have any questions.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

Just to be clear / specific .... You the "AT" ?? ... That's the one exclusive to Costco. That's the one I am about to pull the trigger on

That or the MotoCaddy based on MGS test results 

I just like the wider front end on the "AT" model ..... Still liking it ??

DRIVER - NO WAY !!! I limit that to 1 - so here's my current favorites

:callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 / Agera X 

:cobra-small: L4V 8* (7.5 actual) - XPHLEXXX COBRA PIMP DADDY F7 prototype shaft 

FWs - :callaway-small: Epic Flash 15 / Veylix 888 Bronx XXX Rainbow /:callaway-small: Heavenwood & :callaway-small:9 wood Blueboard 103x

Hybrids - :callaway-small: Super Hybrids - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X

5-GW :callaway-small: Epic Forged / Nippon Modus 125S

Wedges - 56-60-64 :callaway-small: PM Grind / Mardi Gras wedges - DGS400 Onyx  

Putter -  :odyssey-small: Works #7 Red Tank

ALL gripped with JumboMax XLs - Thank you Bryson for the grip lesson. 

:srixon-small: Z-Star XV - Stormi edition / :titleist-small: YELLOW ProV1x

• 2 months later...

Hi, great post. I loved my Navigator too…until I put it in the lake by forgetting to press ‘lock’ on my remote while putting on the 7th, my buggy was finding the lake on the 8th!! 

I contacted MGI and asked if they had considered a standard configuration that when you press stop on the remote, it automatically ‘locks’, requiring you to unlock to get it going again …i.e a two step process.  This would completely avoid the runaway cart problem !  I suggested the feature be standard or a configurable option…to allow choice !

The reply I got was a ‘that feature isn’t available’, so I am now looking for a cart that has such a feature, to avoid the expensive repeat of my last effort.

I hope MGI build in the feature for remotes, as 6 carts have gone in the lakes at my club this year …so consumers or insurance companies should be applying some pressure….

^^^ A little unfair that you omitted the cause, and not unique to MGI. I know quite a few players with MGI Navigators and a few other brands, and there has never been a spontaneous runaway cart. I play a lot of golf and there only been two runaways*** that I know of, both times it was because the user put the remote in a tight pocket and it pressed a button, or even a loose pocket and the user bends over and a button is pressed. The MGI has a holder slot for the remote so you don’t have to put the remote in your pocket, or you can just lay it on top of the handle (what I do). It also has a clip so you could clip it to your belt, but I’m not recommending that.

And why would it be more convenient to have a two step press to unlock every time you use your cart as you recommend, but it’s not convenient to press lock every time? Makes no sense. Again, you don’t have to use remote lock/unlock at all, just DON’T PUT THE REMOTE IN YOUR POCKET. Simple.

In addition, MGI has built in a feature to limit runaways. “The Zip Navigator can be remotely controlled up to 100m. If the remote control loses contact with the Zip Navigator, then the automatic safety stop will initiate after five seconds. This is for the protection of your Zip Navigator, yourself and others.”

*** One “runaway” was an MGI that came thru the grill patio until it finally hit a wall. The other was a BatCaddy that motored down a hill into the weeds. In both cases, the remote was in the users pocket and they moved in such a way a button got pressed…simple solution we’ve all learned by now.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an MGI Navigator, it is great...until.....charged battery to 32v installed on back of motor, went 50 mtrs and stopped. Screen shows red line battery. Checked battery and it was 32volt.. Disconnect then reconnect battery, screen said full battery,  went for another 5 mtres and stopped, screen said red line battery.  This happened a few times but then I did a whole round of golf without a problem...however on the 18th it stopped, checked battery it was 30volt, disconnect then reconnect but is constistanly only did 5 mtres and stopped.  Had to push the last 100 mtres.

This has happened on the last three games I played. Machine is 4 years old, no water /rain damage, battery connections were cleaned. Has anyone else had this problem????  MGI says it "could" be the mother board, a standard response. I dont think it is the battery or battery connections. I dont think it to be a loose connection as once it disconnected when it hadnt even moved.

Frustrating as I now cant reply on it going a full round, and not easy to push. Anyone with advise???

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Edwinb said:

My MGI Zip Navigator when operated by the remote takes about 6 seconds to respond. It used to be great but now it's impossible to control the direction remotely because of the response delay. Any known resolution?

Mine hasn’t done that, bought Jan 2021. Have you contacted MGI?

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

• 1 month later...

I also live in the Pacific Northwest and not having to push on hilly courses is really nice.  My one thing I would change with the zip is the button layout on the remote.  The stop button should be in the center of the four arrows but it’s an inch or two away, all by itself.  That seems like a ridiculous gripe but you are stopping with every shot taken and instead of easily pushing a well positioned stop button, you have to move the remote in your hand in order to be able to actually push the stop.  I’ve seen photos of the upcoming bagboy electric cart and the control is smaller and all the buttons together.

• 1 month later...

The cart generally works well. There is plenty of speed and power. The gyroscope when using the remote works well. 

Some short comings include:

1. The umbrella holder is too low. I am only 5’9” Bur I touch the umbrella and it blocks my view. 
  2. The optional score card holder seems really cheap and flimsy. It is about 1/4” too small to accommodate a score card.  If you want to use it you need to fold the score card or trim the edges.  I have quit using it. 
  3. I would prefer the bag to be more vertical.  As it is now the front end is very light. On hills I have had the cart turn over backwards even with the rear wheel extended to the maximum.  I added a weight to the front of the cart. That has reduced the problem. If the bag were more vertical it would also make it easier to access the clubs.
  4. prior to getting the cart I used a carry type stand bag that I really liked. It would not stay in place on the cart. I had to replace it with a cart bag that I don’t like as well. 
  5. It would be better if the wheels were larger. It is harder getting over curbs or onto a cart path than needed.

Edited by nhamlin
Grammar

I used my MGI Zip for the first time yesterday and it was very challenging .  I did not use the remote as this seemed better to leave for later.  I agree with all of your shortcomings, especially the one about it falling backward going up hills.  This happened twice.  It was very distressing! I use a Stitch bag, which I love but it is rather light and the angle of the MGI slants it too much for easy club removal.  I am determined to make the MGI work for me.  Do I need a heavier bag or how to weight the bottom of my existing bag and where do you put your tees and markers??  Please help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Purchased my first MGI Navigator AI about six months ago.   Shorty after my remote controller would not recharge.  Now, 6 month later, the main battery will not recharge.  Fortunately it's still under warranty and MGI has been excellent in responding and shipping me replacement items.  Hopefully, this isn't an on going issue because I'm really enjoying the MGI.   Any others having these issues? 

• 2 weeks later...

ALERT!!!

The MGI Zip Navigator is a great cart. I had one for over two years! The one thing it will not do is float! On hole #18 at my course this summer, we were putting on the green. After putting I looked up and saw my cart going over the edge of the creek. The remote was in my pocket and I did not lock it. Once I got to it, I noticed it was in the deepest part of the creek, 3ft under water..... The Korean lady that plays with our group occasionally, asked in broken English "What are you going to do"? I replied, going to go in and get it out. Easier said than done when the bag full of clubs and water. Got it out with a friend helping from the bank of the creek, put my shoes back on and drove it to the parking lot. I thought it was my lucky day! The next day, it was dead. Battery and boards gone.

Edited by GaDawg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Yep, have to use the remote for downhill braking and gyro to work. And I was using it. And it didn't work as advertised. 

It also creeps when locked on a hill and you have to position the cart carefully so that it stays put.

Also, the feature you spoke of where the cart will automatically stop if it gets out of range? Not true on my version.  I had it take off [yep, I must have pressed the "go" button by mistake] and keep going for at least 200 yards and ended up against a tree.  When I caught up with it, the wheels continued to churn away until I hit the stop button on the handle. Not the first nor the last time I've had remote issues [see original post].

Everyone's experience is different, and thanks for the input as I'm sure it will eliminate most of the problems that most people have. Maybe I have purchased 2 lemons in a row because my experience was definitely different than those who have commented.  Peace brothers!

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

• 2 months later...

For folks that have Zip AT or Zip, I've been keeping an eye on FB Marketplace to try to get one cheap and had a couple questions:

- Any experience on how long they typically last? Like if one has 50 miles on it, lot of life left or maybe not? Not sure how many miles they typically get?

- Would I be better off biting the bullet and getting one new for the customer service/support? 

Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated!

Driver: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi2 9.0* w/ Tensei blue stiff shaft // 3 Wood: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg TSi3 15* Tensei white stiff shaft

Hybrid: default_taylormade-small.jpg.e85cafcb95032f919dfafeb5fd18ac1e.jpg GAPR Hi 3h

Irons: default_titelist-small.jpg.af6c79e031d0a7016fffa91ce0212512.jpg T300 4-PW + 48* & 53*w/ KBS tour stiff

Wedge: default_cleveland-small.jpg.5931429dde47ec5093bb94bc9d38f8b5.jpg CBX2 58*10

Putter: KS1

Ball: Srixon Z-star // Bag: default_ping-small.jpg.2da16be6ff3360b3177f4439c6c6288b.jpg DLX