Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hit 60 balls in the nets today, testing a theory I've been thinking about for a few days. And it worked, so as said I hit every club left side of the fairway and after checking the lie found its too upright for me. So I wore shoes that have a thicker sole and yeah I'm still going left but my dispersion is tighter and less left, so need to get the lie changed asap as I'm sure you agree?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Do the sharpie test for low angle and see. If could be your swing path or face that’s also causing it. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The sharpie test would be my recommendation as well, though I would use a dry erase marker instead. What is your shot shape? Dead pull or draw/hook?

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

This is a mlm video of my swing, what do you think? There's another under the heading,

"My swing video using T200 Irons"

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

The angle isn’t the best for looking at a swing as it can skew what’s happening.

Based on this, your shaft looks a little steep in the down swing, the club is coming into the ball from which causes some stalling of the hips and you have to throw your arms at the ball then rotate the hands/arms. This can cause pulls and hooks. If the timing isn’t right will probably cause weak shots to the right. 

See the pictures for each point. Again due to angle you may or may not be coming from more outside than inside but you can see the shaft steepness, hips not opening before impact and the hands/arms throwing the club and rotating over just after release

Will a lie angle fix the ball flight? Maybe but only way to know would be to try it and see what happens 

1821D432-0612-4A4C-8AE3-D82812633A0F.jpeg

51AA0794-8B97-481F-B8BC-D7AFB4937C86.jpeg

653B3086-C381-4A73-81D4-8F14C896416E.jpeg

0F8FBA23-0F96-488B-98FC-A355D99EBE38.jpeg

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The angle isn’t the best for looking at a swing as it can skew what’s happening.

Based on this, your shaft looks a little steep in the down swing, the club is coming into the ball from which causes some stalling of the hips and you have to throw your arms at the ball then rotate the hands/arms. This can cause pulls and hooks. If the timing isn’t right will probably cause weak shots to the right. 

See the pictures for each point. Again due to angle you may or may not be coming from more outside than inside but you can see the shaft steepness, hips not opening before impact and the hands/arms throwing the club and rotating over just after release

Will a lie angle fix the ball flight? Maybe but only way to know would be to try it and see what happens 

1821D432-0612-4A4C-8AE3-D82812633A0F.jpeg

51AA0794-8B97-481F-B8BC-D7AFB4937C86.jpeg

653B3086-C381-4A73-81D4-8F14C896416E.jpeg

0F8FBA23-0F96-488B-98FC-A355D99EBE38.jpeg

Agree.  The angle could be the issue, but it looks like the backswing is a little inside.  Result is early extension causing the arms to be thrown at the ball in classic OTT in the downswing so that contact can be made.  Need a view of the hips through the swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Agree.  The angle could be the issue, but it looks like the backswing is a little inside.  Result is early extension causing the arms to be thrown at the ball in classic OTT in the downswing so that contact can be made.  Need a view of the hips through the swing.

Yep saw the same in the backswing, club head gets behind the hands, possibly a little flat. 

A lie angle change could possibly help and make the ball flight less left but not guarantee. 

Watched your video, tough to see lower body vs upper body.  Looks like they move fully together and head moves with them.  if you can separate bottom and top a little with trained professional golf coach you will gain distance and hit straighter.  good luck       

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Based on this, your shaft looks a little steep in the down swing, the club is coming into the ball from which causes some 

REALLY appreciate your feedback, I have a few health issues. Bad back all my life that I worked on stretch and fitness when much younger, I could Draw and Fade at will but that involved $1000's on lessons. Plus end of 2019 I was in hospital 3 months and in a Coma for 1 month during this time I had 5 major surgeries, that left me with limitations that my body deals with in terms of flexibility and memory. I lost 30kgs and I think those were the muscle memory kgs, I had to learn to walk again, I'm saying at 71 I don't know how much better my body will get. I will try to make change in my swing which even with these issues has improved and I had some lessons but to be honest the improvement has been because I started to watch the video about 3 months ago and saw how bad it was, so bad I deleted all those videos and I was going left right to the other fairway lol lol but love golf so will keep trying...

But I thank all who took the time to offer their opinion, thanks so much and hope you will say more. Cheers Colin

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Will try to reposition the mlm, your right I did OTT when I started golf and spent a lot of time and money on lessons to hit the ball left or right when I needed to...

1 hour ago, higherplane said:

Watched your video, tough to see lower body vs upper body.  Looks like they move fully together and head moves with them.  if you can separate bottom and top a little with trained professional golf coach you will gain distance and hit straighter.  good luck       

Will try to reposition mlm and top bottom of body. Thanks for your help, cheers Colin

11 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Will try to reposition the mlm, your right I did OTT when I started golf and spent a lot of time and money on lessons to hit the ball left or right when I needed to...

For the camera you want if at hand height and inline with the hands at address 

Clearly need to golf in high heels mate. 

images (2).jpeg

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9*D,  HZRDUS Green HC 60g 6.0, 45" 4g + 12g weight 
:cobra-small: King LTD @ 14.5* HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 42.5"
:cobra-small: King LTD  @ 17.5*, HZRDUS Blue 70g 6.0, 4
0.5"/ :cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 2 @ 17*, Ventus Black 10x, 39.25"

:cobra-small: 2022 Utility Iron 4 OL @ 20* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
wishon.png.f487cdf69e368c89461d72fa6fc7bbe4.pngEQ1-NX OL 5i-PW Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36
"

Cobra SBOL 48*, 52*, 56* Fujikura Pro Iron 115TX 36"
OIP.jpg.04da427c8e36dc0d247492fdfa8569f6.jpgC-Series DW Armlock

Vice Pro Plus

38 minutes ago, BADFanBoi Scotty said:

Clearly need to golf in high heels mate. 

images (2).jpeg

I honestly wouldn't know what to do to please her, myself no problem...

I've attached a Ping G20 7wood hit with a smash factor 1.48 which is as good as it gets for me, I don't think I'm going to do much better than this given my swing, and I won't stop trying to improve but I'm a realist and think this is it. I'm still trying ball position keeping my head over the ball, But... all good

1.48 is a good smash factor. If you want to improve I would find an instructor to work with you on improving your swing. You have an over the top swing that is probably robbing you of distance and some consistency. While your injuries may be why, this is where an instructor especially one that has some background in body mechanics or a tpi certification would be beneficial. They can assess what you can/can’t do and help build a swing around that. They can also work with you on what feels good or doesn’t in the swing as they get you to do things. 

But as expected with a better angle your swing breaks down pretty early and everything becomes a compensation for that later.

your arms and club head move out and away first then your arms start to roll the face open (pic 1). The clubhead then gets behind the hands (pic 2) this leads to a flat swing at the top (pic 3). From here your only move is to go over the top and steepen the shaft (pics 4 and 5). This is going to cause the club to come more from out to in and the body to stall its rotation so things can sync up and try to make contact with the ball (pic 6). You will see the body be pretty square to The target at impact instead of the hips being open and will cause the arms to extend and basically throw the club at the ball (pic 7) and eventually the hands/arms roll after impact (pic 8).

Working on getting the hands to work in and keep the club head staying outside the hands. If you wanted to watch videos and work on things yourself imo Chris Ryan and Danny Maude have really good videos for free on YouTube that are simple and easy to follow.

Back to the original topic this is why earlier in the thread when asked about lie angle it could fix your issue with iron but it may not do much. Your swing plus the face angle and path are going to play a roll in where the ball is starting and how much it’s going to move laterally. 

You could play like this and shift how you align to target if you wanted to play your current shot shape. The way forward is on what’s best for you.

345EB3A2-FA9F-412D-B678-43C06D445BFA.jpeg

23CA16E4-E80B-44DB-ACFC-B3EB0ADDB249.jpeg

4EDAE99C-99B5-470B-A900-9A04747BBBD0.jpeg

6F58F595-84CD-44FD-A841-4FD835ADFFD9.jpeg

694F2BEF-3EDA-49A9-B429-4F8FE948984C.jpeg

25F86CDA-8ABF-4CFD-9850-69EAD87035BE.jpeg

F6E6EF59-A713-4F41-B837-8C1615A5E840.jpeg

69B46630-33C8-40FD-91A8-A09FC0DA2A05.jpeg

On 4/27/2022 at 8:42 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I think many discredit the average consumer in some aspects and overhype the forum members. There are many members on forums that are there for the camaraderie, friendships, to just socialize and just for the love of the game and are on the same level as the average golf consumer, then there are those who are on them for the knowledg both to learn and share, along with the above reasons and probably others.

Anyone who has spent time in DC or NYC and my guess Miami sees the average consumer buy knockoffs and counterfeit products all the time because they want to have something that looks like the real deal but don’t want to pay the money for it. The number of those who are being fooled thinking they are getting a great deal is probably lower than most think.

Im amazed at how many spend time thinking, worrying about, concerned or any other description for how and where people spend money including the people they get randomly paired with that they may never see again. 

2 hours ago, cycleguy55 said:

I hate playing punched greens. LOL

Fairways & Greens!

11 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

1.48 is a good smash factor. If you want to improve I would find an instructor to work with you on improving your swing. You have an over the top swing that is probably robbing you of distance and some consistency. While your injuries may be why, this is where an instructor especially one that has some background in body mechanics or a tpi certification would be beneficial. They can assess what you can/can’t do and help build a swing around that. They can also work with you on what feels good or doesn’t in the swing as they get you to do things. 

But as expected with a better angle your swing breaks down pretty early and everything becomes a compensation for that later.

your arms and club head move out and away first then your arms start to roll the face open (pic 1). The clubhead then gets behind the hands (pic 2) this leads to a flat swing at the top (pic 3). From here your only move is to go over the top and steepen the shaft (pics 4 and 5). This is going to cause the club to come more from out to in and the body to stall its rotation so things can sync up and try to make contact with the ball (pic 6). You will see the body be pretty square to The target at impact instead of the hips being open and will cause the arms to extend and basically throw the club at the ball (pic 7) and eventually the hands/arms roll after impact (pic 8).

Working on getting the hands to work in and keep the club head staying outside the hands. If you wanted to watch videos and work on things yourself imo Chris Ryan and Danny Maude have really good videos for free on YouTube that are simple and easy to follow.

Back to the original topic this is why earlier in the thread when asked about lie angle it could fix your issue with iron but it may not do much. Your swing plus the face angle and path are going to play a roll in where the ball is starting and how much it’s going to move laterally. 

You could play like this and shift how you align to target if you wanted to play your current shot shape. The way forward is on what’s best for you.

345EB3A2-FA9F-412D-B678-43C06D445BFA.jpeg

23CA16E4-E80B-44DB-ACFC-B3EB0ADDB249.jpeg

4EDAE99C-99B5-470B-A900-9A04747BBBD0.jpeg

6F58F595-84CD-44FD-A841-4FD835ADFFD9.jpeg

694F2BEF-3EDA-49A9-B429-4F8FE948984C.jpeg

25F86CDA-8ABF-4CFD-9850-69EAD87035BE.jpeg

F6E6EF59-A713-4F41-B837-8C1615A5E840.jpeg

69B46630-33C8-40FD-91A8-A09FC0DA2A05.jpeg

@Bang60  He's right.  A couple of lessons will give you some drills that would eliminate or minimize the over the top move and give you a straighter, more repeatable shot shape with more distance with the same swing effort.  If you keep working with your current swing, you won't see much progress.  If you can't find a local pro, another option is to sign up with an internet instructor and send your video to their website, and they will send you appropriate drills to perform.  You can sign up month to month which should give you time to implement their instructions and get feedback.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have to ask is your Neck Fuzzed?

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

2 hours ago, Kocher Clamp said:

I have to ask is your Neck Fuzzed?

Fusion? No, after a month in a Coma and losing 30kgs it's the lack of flexibility I'm left with. I've gone from no idea where I'm hitting the ball to mostly left, I'm trying different things to improve flexibility but it's very slow progress. My left miss in March and still the same today, appreciate your feedback...

IMG_20220515_084651.jpg

I watched some videos @ChrisRyan today, thanks to @RickyBobby_PR for suggesting that. I'm looking fwd to practice as soon as the rain stops, will post video of my improvement....

On 5/12/2022 at 2:10 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

A lie angle change could possibly help and make the ball flight less left but not guarantee. 

Did the lie yesterday, was 64 but after my friend adjusted it is 61.5 !!!!

Managed to hit 14 balls in between rain and wind, big change to 5 right rest just left. So I'm happy just need more good weather to do my normal practice, exciting times...

On 5/10/2022 at 12:05 AM, Bang60 said:

Hit 60 balls in the nets today, testing a theory I've been thinking about for a few days. And it worked, so as said I hit every club left side of the fairway and after checking the lie found its too upright for me. So I wore shoes that have a thicker sole and yeah I'm still going left but my dispersion is tighter and less left, so need to get the lie changed asap as I'm sure you agree?

Here is a test.  get some electrical tape and an old piece of Masonite or thin plastic with wear.  Cover the bottom of your test club with a strip of electrical tape.  Hit a ball off the hardboard.  If you are really too upright, you will see a scuff mark off center on the bottom of your club.  If it is upright, the scuff will be between the shaft and the center (bottom) of the club face.  Try it on all your clubs.  I have seen variations on club face angle, especially frustrated golfer who bang there clubs after poor shots.

There is a simple fix.  Clubs too upright (toe up) can be shortened.  A good club repair shop can shorten your club to flatten out the lie.  Clubs too flat (toe down) can be lengthened.  Both are simple processes and the correction can be in 1/4 inches.  If there is a wide variation in toe up/toe down, invest in some new clubs.  A poor workman blames his tools.

42 minutes ago, stevegawron said:

Cover the bottom of your test club with a strip of electrical tape.  Hit a ball off the hardboard.  If you are really too upright, you will see a scuff mark off center on the bottom of your club.  If it is upright, the scuff will be between the shaft and the center (bottom) of the club face.  Try it on all your clubs.  

Yes I've this, I covered the face and the bottom with masking tape. Then put a vertical line on my golf ball, it confirms it's toe high but is it a lie or swing change. Think it's probably both except my swing at my age is not changing much lol, but I've made some gains dropping the toe down and changed my setup slightly. Appreciate the feedback, cheers Colin

52 minutes ago, stevegawron said:

There is a simple fix.  Clubs too upright (toe up) can be shortened.  A good club repair shop can shorten your club to flatten out the lie.  Clubs too flat (toe down) can be lengthened.  Both are simple processes and the correction can be in 1/4 inches.  If there is a wide variation in toe up/toe down, invest in some new clubs.  A poor workman blames his tools.

While your "fix" would work,  you may make the club too long or short which could impact strike location.   Probably easier just to get someone to adjust the lie angle.

1 minute ago, Bang60 said:

Then put a vertical line on my golf ball, it confirms it's toe high but is it a lie or swing change. Think it's probably both except my swing at my age is not changing much lol, but I've made some gains dropping the toe down and changed my setup slightly. 

While you can change your swing to make the  lie angle correct,  you would probably be better off to just bend the clubs.   People setup to the ball differently and have different physical makeup;  as a result they require different lie angles.   Adjusting a club is a simple process for any club builder.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

While your "fix" would work,  you may make the club too long or short which could impact strike location.   Probably easier just to get someone to adjust the lie angle.

While you can change your swing to make the  lie angle correct,  you would probably be better off to just bend the clubs.   People setup to the ball differently and have different physical makeup;  as a result they require different lie angles.   Adjusting a club is a simple process for any club builder.  

Agreed, I've adjusted the lie angle on my 6iron only as I want to see how far I have to go. So far I've moved 1.5* and I've got halfway to where I want to go, I'm thinking I will practise a few weeks before I move the lie any further, appreciate your feedback...