TESTERS WANTED! ×

What does the 'draw' hosel setting ACTUALLY do?

smohan215

I’m set at A3 in a 915 d2 and every drive is a fade this year. No distance. I am hitting my TM 7 wood just as far. I can’t hit a controlled draw since the 983 K. I think these hosel adjustments are gimmicks for the most part 

1 hour ago, Nodivots said:

I’m set at A3 in a 915 d2 and every drive is a fade this year. No distance. I am hitting my TM 7 wood just as far. I can’t hit a controlled draw since the 983 K. I think these hosel adjustments are gimmicks for the most part 

If you are hitting 7w further then driver then you have launch condition issues with the 915. Just because you have it set to draw doesn’t mean the ball is automatically going to not go right or be a draw.

Without any numbers can’t say whether it’s too much spin or not enough, or launch is off. Also can’t say if it’s low or high contact on the face. But just because you are having an issue doesn’t mean the adjustable adapters a gimmick. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This is a great thread and question.  I've wondered about the lie changes that accompany a loft adjustment and whether, depending on the players swing mechanics, it could be a detriment.  PING states that the lie angle in the club specs is "the average lie angle through the range of 5 setting positions" (56.5*), but not how much.  So in the case of the SFT, which is a draw biased design, principally my internal weighting towards rear and heel, it's unknown how much of the weight based draw bias is offset by using the large minus setting (-1*). I wouldn't think much but really don't know.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

38 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is a great thread and question.  I've wondered about the lie changes that accompany a loft adjustment and whether, depending on the players swing mechanics, it could be a detriment.  PING states that the lie angle in the club specs is "the average lie angle through the range of 5 setting positions" (56.5*), but not how much.  So in the case of the SFT, which is a draw biased design, principally my internal weighting towards rear and heel, it's unknown how much of the weight based draw bias is offset by using the large minus setting (-1*). I wouldn't think much but really don't know.  

It can be a detriment depending on how the golfer delivers the club. Left misses or balls th at start left and move right (rh golfer) doesn’t need a more upright lie or the draw setting. This is where a fitting comes into play and looking at ball flight, what happens when a change is made to loft and/or lie and how it also affects the golfers swing and setup. Fitters can also see the data points and how they change as well

For someone who is self fitting it’s going to be a trial and error and nobody can guess how it will impact the golfer. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It can be a detriment depending on how the golfer delivers the club. Left misses or balls th at start left and move right (rh golfer) doesn’t need a more upright lie or the draw setting. This is where a fitting comes into play and looking at ball flight, what happens when a change is made to loft and/or lie and how it also affects the golfers swing and setup. Fitters can also see the data points and how they change as well

For someone who is self fitting it’s going to be a trial and error and nobody can guess how it will impact the golfer. 

No argument having a fitter and using a LM to facilitate adjustments is best but it still would be nice to know how the lie changes with adjustments from nominal.  I have seen a PING G series woods adjustment chart in various threads, blogs, etc. but there is nothing on the PING website that I can find other than the note I shared above.  Again, I doubt it's much but it would be nice to know which direction lie angle moves with loft changes. 

Sounds like Callaway does not provide a secret de-coder ring either; do any of the mfg.'s clearly describe this?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

17 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

No argument having a fitter and using a LM to facilitate adjustments is best but it still would be nice to know how the lie changes with adjustments from nominal.  I have seen a PING G series woods adjustment chart in various threads, blogs, etc. but there is nothing on the PING website that I can find other than the note I shared above.  Again, I doubt it's much but it would be nice to know which direction lie angle moves with loft changes. 

Sounds like Callaway does not provide a secret de-coder ring either; do any of the mfg.'s clearly describe this?

I don’t think any really go into it. I’ve seen someone post a formula before. Only one I know that has something close is TaylorMade. Also keep in mind due to manufacturing tolerances the stated loft and even lie angle probably aren’t exact and loft can be upwards of 1.5* off

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/default/v1578349685920/manuals/2020_tuning_manual.pdf

On 5/11/2022 at 9:44 PM, Fitter81 said:

I think adjustable drivers are a hype and make guys comfortable with bad swing mechanics.

Im not plugging any companies on here as I do not get compensation for it,But when I fit guys/gals I use the few brands that are left that offer non adjustable drivers I feel it promotes consistency in the driver swing.

If you hit your drivers straight down the middle every time and your ball flight doesn’t put you in trouble, then you might not need an adjustable driver, but we all know those golfers are rare!  That is why golf companies such as Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, Ping and Cobra have adjustable drivers.  Personally I like to have the option and it seems that those are the brands that are winning the dollars on the tours worldwide.  That is why I choose fitters who offer these clubs.  The two I use have over thirty years of experience and are in high demand.  And these companies have great customer service to back up the products.  What brands do you offer?

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

• 1 year later...

I just started making my own clubs and I learned a lot. When you change the hosel you change the spine alignment which changes the flex of the club which changes direction and angle. These changes can be made on a non-adjustable club by removing the shaft and rotating the spine to 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock according to your desired effect.

• 3 weeks later...
I just started making my own clubs and I learned a lot. When you change the hosel you change the spine alignment which changes the flex of the club which changes direction and angle. These changes can be made on a non-adjustable club by removing the shaft and rotating the spine to 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock according to your desired effect.
The Callaway adjustable hosel has rotating toothed sleeves that are rotated to adjust loft and lie. The shaft doesn't rotate...ever. With other brands the shaft does rotate when adjusted but it is loft and lie, not flex, that is intentionally changed. Someone is just trying to sell you a spline alignment machine.

On 5/12/2022 at 1:25 PM, Golf2Much said:

Here is a couple of YouTube videos that hopefully can explain driver adjustments and the impact each has.   I follow the MobileClubMaker on YouTube.  AJ is a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for posting the links - I learned something new this morning. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, zengineer said:
On 12/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, Dazupixe said:

The Callaway adjustable hosel has rotating toothed sleeves that are rotated to adjust loft and lie. The shaft doesn't rotate...ever. With other brands the shaft does rotate when adjusted but it is loft and lie, not flex, that is intentionally changed. Someone is just trying to sell you a spline alignment machine.

Titleist's hosel adapter works in a similar fashion to the Callaway adapters, so Titleist shafts also do not rotate when you adjust the adapter settings.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

3 hours ago, zengineer said:
On 12/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, Dazupixe said:

Which is still a topic for debate in the golfing world if it’s even a necessary thing to do. Enough tests show it’s not that beneficial and many won’t notice. Especially with graphite shafts

6 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

Titleist's hosel adapter works in a similar fashion to the Callaway adapters, so Titleist shafts also do not rotate when you adjust the adapter settings.

For some settings they don't rotate but for others they do.  The letters are on a ring that are independent of the shaft,  the numbers are on part of the adapter that is glued to the shaft. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

True

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!