Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Best Cheap Training Aid?

I'm guilty of falling for some slick marketing and buying over-priced training aids (some that don't actually help that much).  But, I have a training aid that I use frequently that has made a big improvement in my swing - specifically my turn.  I've had plenty of comments about a having short backswing.  So, I invested $8.76 in a closet pole at the local big box home improvement store. It's a six foot long, one inch diameter wooden dowel intended to be used as a clothes hanger rod in a closet.

The drill is simple.  Place the pole behind your neck, place you hands on the pole with your arms stretched out.  Gradually start turning in a golf swing motion.  I start upright and bend over into a golf posture more with each swing.  I do twenty turns for the drill.  By the end, I can get the left end of the pole pointed toward my right foot (I swing right-handed). 

I'm a senior golfer. Doing this drill, I've gained distance - noticeable distance - sometimes crazy long distance. Now the comments are, "What ball are you using?" or "Is that a new driver?"

So, what's your best cheap training aid that really helps your game?

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

Towel under the elbow to keep my elbow/arm in tight to prevent the over the top swing. Pretty cheap I would say!

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

$2 Garden rod used as alignment stick, swing plane stick, hip rotation tool

$20 Putting mirror 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

• 3 weeks later...

One in your belt loop, one in the ground work on turning your hips so the rod in your belt hits the stick in the ground. Will help stop you from sliding and instead rotate your hips.

698098757_ScreenShot2022-06-01at5_58_54PM.png.c839cf1391d3f5618aab3ac97df85d2b.png

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

On 5/11/2022 at 3:16 PM, Shankster said:

Natural Light is pretty cheap I hear.  I don’t drink, but I imagine it helps with forgetting the bad shots.

Yard makers are pretty cheap for alignment aids on serious note.

“Every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cause we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That’s ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough sons of bitches to kill.”
MATT DAMON - Rannulph Junuh "The Legend of Bagger Vance"

Edited by MyWifesSwingCoach
Removal of External Links

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Been watching this thread for some ideas.  Currently I have no golf training aids... I feel like the outlay of hard earned coin I made for the ones in my bag are sufficient 🙂.  In fact, some days, I think I could have gotten by with MUCH CHEAPER training aids 🤣.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I wasted plenty of money on training aids. The only one I would buy again (or should I say ask for Christmas again) is the Orange Whip. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I seem to respond better to drills rather than swing aids.  I hit balls L-L with my feet together and drills like that.  I do like the Orange Whip and I have some of the Swingyde knockoff plastic attachments, but I need to make some swings with the aid and then some without or I'm just sort of reacting to the swing aid.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7

Rope, wrapped in a spiral to make a thicker, heavier three foot or so length. It's reasonably heavy and flexible, so it works pretty well when swung to work on sequencing and to develop more speed.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

I use an old steel shafted driver with lead down the shaft. It keeps my swing long and makes my golf muscles strong. Buy an old steel shafted driver or other steel shafted wood at a garage sale or thrift shop. Cut a hole in the end of the grip to insert split shot lead weights (usually used for fishing). After inserting eah one use a steel rod the right diameter to squash it into the bottom of the shaft so it doesn't slide back and forth when you swing. Hold the head of the club when you do this so there is no chance of the head coming loose. initially put in less weight than you think you can handle. Swing the club a few times each day gradually working up to 70 or more repetitions. When that becomes easy add more weight, reduce repetitions, and gradually work up to 70 or more repetitions again. Keep doing this until it is heavy enough to keep your swing timing good and your golf swing in good shape. Other than the steel rod which you can get get at most hardware stores, it is all very cheap (and works).

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.