TESTERS WANTED! ×

Continually adding slice spin with driver only

Hello,

Been playing for about 5 years, never had lessons just pointers here and there. After a 6 month break, I am putting a lot more left to right spin on my driver, almost every time. 

Not sure what to look for in my swing, I see the club not shallowing. Could this be the cause of my spin? 

Spin is caused by face to path vs face angle relationship.  "slice" spin is because your face is open to the direction to the path the clubhead is traveling.

There are literally hundreds of variables that could be causing this and you should see a teach professional to help to diagnose the root cause

Just watched your video - your start the backswing with your upper body/arms/shoulders rather than your lower body and hips.  That leads to a strong "over the top" motion (out to in swing path) and thus you needs to leave the clubface open in order to not pull the ball dead left. Better sequencing to tone down the severity of the out to in and then other drills to work on face control would be where you should see improvement - but there are a lot of variables that can be the WHY behind why your are coming over the top

Start by feeling your lower body rotating first on your downswing.  You can see during your transition that your head changes position and your spine angle moves. This is caused by your shoulders and arms leading the downswing...the upper body taking over is causing this over-the-top movement that @jlukes is talking about...it's sequencing.  

Play other sports?  Throw a football and you'll notice your lower body rotates prior to your shoulders and arms.  My favorite, is taking a tennis racket and hitting a low volley at a slow speed.  Your hips rotate first and then the upper body...all while maintaining that spine angle.

You really should work with someone 1:1 in person so they can convey these feels.  You'll get some good mileage out of the members here and I think someone like @RickyBobby_PRwould be a good start.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

It’s hard to tell from this angle but you may have a grip that’s too week on left hand and too strong on right hand. Also your shoulders may be slightly open compared to hips and knees.

You get the forearms rolling and opening the face pretty early in the swing (pic1). It also looks like your left hip kicks out instead of the right hip pushing back for the turn (commonly referred to as a false turn)

This is causing you to have a flat swing (pic 2) and then real long (pic 3) which then leads to the over the top movement at the start of the downswing (pic 4). If this was the end of your backswing you would be in a slightly better position. 

Now from this spot you have to steepen the shaft and slow the body down to get the club in a spot that will allow you to hit the ball (pic 5). Because of your grip and wrist angles as mentioned above you never get the clubface to close and you are on the out to in path (pic 6)

As a result your making contact more heel side of the clubface which is going to add more spin (pic 7)

Somethings I would do to start that won’t cost you any money and will help you get you into better setup and movement. First watch the grip and setup fundamentals video from Monte.

Also 

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/collection-eezu4kysdy4?categoryId=29790&permalink=0-setup-intro-v1mov-565d3f

These video from athletic motion golf for takeaway and backswing

Also athletic motion golf has a free section on their website that will take you thru the whole swing with videos and drills 

https://athleticmotiongolf.com/register/amg-free/

DC52913A-2ECB-448C-AB79-FA1A42ECF092.jpeg

1984BF28-E018-4F06-B8B0-56E201758589.jpeg

DD44724B-464A-4827-9D91-466549807009.jpeg

5DC186F5-DE48-4C1A-A540-EDF2B0AFC644.jpeg

285CF966-5677-4F9F-B76F-B3111509C98B.jpeg

69ECFBBB-820F-44EA-ACDF-152B4255CCEA.jpeg

90B0EB82-D539-40DD-9293-C6B41618FB2B.png

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just saw your entire post, was missing most of it for some reason. Will review and watch videos, thanks again. 

This course is narrow and incredibly punishing compared to the other courses I’m used to, Thracian Cliffs in Bulgaria. The slice is much more of a score card killer here. 

5 minutes ago, KwajRyan said:

Thank you, https://forum.mygolfspy.com/profile/65848-rickybobby_pr/

I’ve been experimenting a lot with grip, and I think it’s a strong left, weak right. Here is a front image from 2 days ago, I’ve since moved the ball position back a bit. I’m still confused about the front of my elbows, if that matters. 

Left hand looks more neutral. It looks like from your view you would see 1.5-2 knuckles.your right hand is a little strong. You would want it more on the side of the grip.

But watch the video about grip and setup. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 minutes ago, KwajRyan said:

Just saw your entire post, was missing most of it for some reason. Will review and watch videos, thanks again. 

This course is narrow and incredibly punishing compared to the other courses I’m used to, Thracian Cliffs in Bulgaria. The slice is much more of a score card killer here. 

I hit submit accidentally before finishing the original post so was editing it and adding the rest in there.

31 minutes ago, KwajRyan said:

Thank you for the replies. I can’t afford the 1:1 training at the moment, but I’ll work on sequencing as you both mentioned. 

Can RickyBobby_PR provide services remotely?

I’m not an instructor per se. I’ve done lots of studying of the swing over the last 1.5 years. I help a couple fiends out locally but that’s the extent of my teaching.

But if you post swings here after working on the drills and such from what  I posted above I’ll provide feedback for you. It’s easier and less time consuming for me to reference these videos and help that way.

4 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I hit submit accidentally before finishing the original post so was editing it and adding the rest in there.

I’m not an instructor per se. I’ve done lots of studying of the swing over the last 1.5 years. I help a couple fiends out locally but that’s the extent of my teaching.

But if you post swings here after working on the drills and such from what  I posted above I’ll provide feedback for you. It’s easier and less time consuming for me to reference these videos and help that way.

I appreciate your input, and tomorrow I’ll watch the videos before heading to the course. Will update with new videos after some practice.