Driver Fitting

I'm playing an old driver, TM SLDR, and it's time to upgrade. Swing speed is on average 88 mph and I'm a 20 handicap. I'm debating on whether to get a custom fitting (truespec or similar competitor) or head to Roger Dunn or Golf Galaxy and try a number of drivers with stock shafts. My gut is to do the latter given my swing speed and ability, but wanted to see what the community thought. 

Truespec for sure. Just make sure to be open with your fitter about budget so that you only try shafts in your price range. 

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* Tour AD DI 6X

:ping-small: G425 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X

:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X

:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 - Tour AD 95X

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW OBAN CT 115X(-)

:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 52F - 58D

:ping-small: ChipR

:ping-small: PLD Milled Anser 2

:titelist-small: ProV1

TruSpec > than any box store

TruSpec > club champion

The options at TruSpec are more than box stores and on par with club champion. Fitter experience better at TruSpec.

TXG or Cool clubs probably only two others on par with TruSpec for options and experience.

Local fitters at courses/pro shops could be an option but research needs to be done on each one

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

I would start with a Ping g425 SFT, or g410 SFT, and see how they feel. Stock shaft is ok, but a slightly heavier shaft would be a better option. With your slower swing speed, and high handicap, I could assume you slice off the tee from time to time. This driver is weighted at the heel to counter the slice, and does a good job of it. I have a g410, put in the heaviest weight I could get(20g)for the weight port, 65 gram shaft, and now spend a lot of time in the fairway off the tee. Nothing can help a bad swing except lessons. But if you struggle from time to time off the tee, this is a good start. The game is much more enjoyable from the fairway!

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c