Newbies best choice for $600 purchase?

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

What driver is your BIL playing now?  Since you seem to be in line for his discards, it might be time to convince him he needs a new driver and then you'll have more money for lessons and other things!!  🤣

I think he gave it to me to spite me!  🤣

• Haha 1

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra BiO Cell Red 4 - PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 52°, 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Ball: :titleist-small: Velocity Matte Orange

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

On 5/18/2022 at 6:17 PM, Blueberry_Squishie said:

Maybe not nothing but 4, but I'd add an option 6 of ensuring you have access to a facility that you can use at least once a week to rehearse and refine what you're learning in your lessons and see the results, and spend a couple of bucks on a small tripod to mount your phone on to take videos of what you're doing when you rehearse. You can take that footage to your next lesson if there's a particular issue that's occurring so your coach can get a head start on a diagnosis.

I do play weekly in a league, I practice chipping and pitching in my yard almost daily, and there is a par 3 course near my house that I have discovered.  No starters, no crowds, fantastic for real practice.  You can spend all day there for $20.  I'm trying to work in a 1/2 day there each week.  Today I went and hit 2 balls from each tee.  I took the score from the best ball on each hole.  Ended up with a 40!  For me, that is amazingly good!

I have a tripod and have started recording my swing.

On 5/18/2022 at 9:48 PM, ChitownM2 said:

I think in a recent TXG video Ian said something along the lines of "if you're not hitting at least 50% of your shots consistently then it is better to get lessons than a fitting and new clubs".

Agreed.  I'm investing primarily in lessons and practice rounds/driving range.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 8:41 AM, Kansas King said:

With the exception of your driver, you're equipment appears fine on the surface. I would recommend starting with finding a local pro somewhere and getting a lesson or two. You should be able to find a teaching pro that charges under $60/hour. Ask the pro to look at your equipment and see what they say. They will probably recommend getting a different driver. 

Budgeting breakdown:

$100 - $200: Lessons

$100 - $200: Used Driver

$100 - $200: Additional Equipment (wedges, hybrids, etc.)

Total = $300 - $600 (probably closer to $500)

The total costs are going largely be dependent on lesson costs and equipment costs. If you need irons, you can get the Maltby STi2 iron pack from Golfworks fully assembled to your general measurements for $170 if you need irons although your pro may have other good budget used options. I'm also a big proponent of Maltby wedges as you can pick up most of them for about $50 each and they are high quality. I don't want to overly push Maltby stuff but it's generally the best bang for your buck in the whole golf industry even compared to used stuff. I would recommend not breaking the bank on equipment as range balls and rounds of golf also add up and you'll likely be wanting to play more as you improve. 

I 2nd everything @Kansas King has said about Maltby. The past couple of years, DTC (direct to consumer) brands have been all the talk for quality at lower cost. Maltby is one of the lesser-known because they don't want to be showcased but they're also one of the DTC pioneers.. maybe THE pioneer possibly. Their designs are all original and up to date with tech and probably the lowest priced of the high quality DTC's

:mizuno-small: STZ 10.5* / Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S
:ping-small: G400 7 Wood

:callaway-logo-1: RAZR X Muscleback Irons/FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedges - 50/6 + 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 
:taylormade-small: TP5x