Unique WITB setups

My buddy is a 4 cap and hits pitch and chip shots with one hand, side saddle. It seems like he holes at least one every round.

In our Club Championship, he beat a 30 yo 2hcap 7&6 playing from the Blacks. (He’s 71 yo)

• Like 3

Driver:       :ping-small: G425 Max 9*(set at 10*) 

Fairway:    :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 15*

Hybrid:      :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max OS 19* & 21*

Irons:         PXG 0311 Gen3 XP 5-GW (trying to unseat the Halos)

Wedges:    :cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*

Putter:       :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Stroke Lab DW 34” 

LURKING…  :cleveland-small: Launcher XL Halo 5-DW and L.A.B. GOLF DF2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

:OnCore: Elixir Yellow 

:1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5+ Black 

Just swapped out a 6 iron for 6 hybrid.  Getting older sucks but I hit the hybrid pretty well so none of my buddies have given me crap about it.

• Like 4

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 set to 11.5

Callaway Mavrik 4/5 wood

Callaway Mavrik 4/5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik irons 7-W w/TGI 70

Cleveland CBX2 48, 52, 56

Bettinardi BB1F

I had a teammate in Junior Rep golf who used an old bullseye putter so that he could putt left- or right-handed with it. He reckoned that it was easier to hole putts that broke towards his feet rather than putts sliding away, particularly short-range putts. So on putts breaking to the left, he putted right-handed - on putts breaking right, he putted left-handed.

He did well enough to turn pro, had some minor tour success and now is head pro at a leading Australian golf course!

• Like 2

On 5/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, RoyN said:

Hey I've seen younger guys carry a 5 7 and 9 wood because they cant hit a 3w off the deck and hate hybrids.

Heck I say play what ever works. I guess my set up is sorta oddball going from a 3 wood to a 7 wood. But I have several different shots with all of my fairway woods

• Like 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

7 hours ago, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Ancient, like 1950s or 60s, Don Martin bronze flat face Up-n-In chipper.  Pix avail on ebay, Ironfinder has a listing.  I use it on fringe and up to about 10 yards from fringe if not in deep rough.  Easier than trying the 60 degree for short chips, predictable roll out since there is not much backspin.  I also have a Stan Thompson Closup but like the Up-n-In better.  The Thompson has deep wide grooves and is useful for longer distances, like up to 20 yards.  Both club designers were southern Calif guys.  Thompson famous for the V bottom Ginty design. Martin made putters too.

I have a couple of Gintys I play in vintage play some---- The really fun one is what he calls a 7 wood at 29* I can hit some really fun little funky shots with that thing from a soft fairway. I have been known from time to time to carry it in the Saturday Shootout

• Like 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

3 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

My buddy is a 4 cap and hits pitch and chip shots with one hand, side saddle. It seems like he holes at least one every round.

In our Club Championship, he beat a 30 yo 2hcap 7&6 playing from the Blacks. (He’s 71 yo)

I have heard even on this end of the beach that you guys have some old farts that can still play up at your place. On this end we have a contingent like that at Wachaseau East. Most of the Men's leagues on this end including the Indigo group will not mess with them

• Like 1

Saw a lady the other day playing all woods & hybrids with a 9-iron and a chipper. 

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

My bag is kind of unique. The longest iron in my bag is my 6 iron. Then I carry 4 woods. 3W, 5W, 7W AND 9 W to fill in the gap to my driver. My 9 wood gives me 205 carry, so it plays like a 5 irons, only with more spin so it holds the greens better on long par 3's and approach shots. 7 wood is good for 220 carry and 5 wood about 235 carry. I also have a home made putter with a high CG that gets the ball rolling on the greens a lot faster than any other putter I have tried over the years. May NOT be for everyone but it works well for me. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, IONEPUTT said:

My bag is kind of unique. The longest iron in my bag is my 6 iron. Then I carry 4 woods. 3W, 5W, 7W AND 9 W to fill in the gap to my driver. My 9 wood gives me 205 carry, so it plays like a 5 irons, only with more spin so it holds the greens better on long par 3's and approach shots. 7 wood is good for 220 carry and 5 wood about 235 carry. I also have a home made putter with a high CG that gets the ball rolling on the greens a lot faster than any other putter I have tried over the years. May NOT be for everyone but it works well for me. 

I just worked on a bag today that had a Dr, 5 7 9 and 11 fw to go with 6 7 8 9 PW and 48* wedge AP2 with  52 and 56 vokeys. Whatever works.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 1:50 PM, IONEPUTT said:

My bag is kind of unique. The longest iron in my bag is my 6 iron. Then I carry 4 woods. 3W, 5W, 7W AND 9 W to fill in the gap to my driver. My 9 wood gives me 205 carry, so it plays like a 5 irons, only with more spin so it holds the greens better on long par 3's and approach shots. 7 wood is good for 220 carry and 5 wood about 235 carry. I also have a home made putter with a high CG that gets the ball rolling on the greens a lot faster than any other putter I have tried over the years. May NOT be for everyone but it works well for meyoy . 

I have always said play what works for you. Like to see guys like you thinking out side the box. I darn sure do and always have. Was looking at your yardages and was thinking man he is smoking that 7 wood and 9 wood then  I realized you are in Colorado. But still taking away 10% roughly compared to sea level you are still smoking them. Like the putter idea too in the fact you designed and built it for you and it works for you. Basically you are carrying the same top end set up I do. Right now I do not carry a 5 wood because I can loft up the 3 wood and I still carry and hit the 4 and 5 irons. In Coastal SC where I live and with my home course some 2 miles off the Atlantic Ocean we always have to consider the wind. And it can change drastically in the course of the round. That 3 wood can be very versitile for me. I can hit it like a 3 wood is supposed to be hit or I can open it up and hit like a 5 wood. I also taught myself how to hood it down and play it off my back foot and hit a Quail high screamer cut. I also have to watch myself in the wind with the 7 and 9 woods. I hit a outside in trap cut by design (anti hook) and I can get those 2 balooning and spinning in the wind thus the 4 and 5 irons. I can not hit those as high as I used to but for me in the wind that is an advantage. I have learned again by thinking outside the box how to utitilize different shots with the same club. Now I will be honest say a normal shot no wind at 140 or so it will be the 9 wood. 145 to 160 7 wood. Over 160 to 175 high cut 3 wood. Guys who play with me on a regular basis know not to club off me. One of my regular partners his friend came down and played with us one day in the Shootout. My friend warned him not to club off of me because as he said " I have more moves than EX- LAX with those 3 clubs" and more moves than Milk of Magnesia with the rest of the bag. My golf is not pretty but I can scrap it around some

• Like 1

HI BIG STU:

While I do live in Colorado, the distance gains at a mile high is NOT 10% as some have stated. It's more like 5% . When I played golf in Cabo awhile back I was hitting all of my irons about half a club shorter that what I do in Colorado. I have 15 yards between clubs, so that equates to about 7-8 yards less carry at sea level compared to here in the Denve area.  There are a few reasons for the difference being only 5% here in Denver. One is that the air is very DRY, and dry air is heavier than moist air so the ball loses speed faster here in Denver than it does in moist air at sea level. One other factor is that thin air means LESS LIFT due to backspin. As you know backspin causes lift with all of your clubs, and thin air just does NOT create as much lift as thicker sea level ais does, and that means the ball falls out of the air faster and that means less carry, especially with the driver and woods. When the PGA tour was in town a few years ago. 5% was the number the caddies were using when they gave the distance needed on approach shots so their players would hit the ball the correct distance taking the thinner dry air into account. 

Not sure where the 10% number comes from but my bet would be from baseball. Baseballs DO travel about 19% farther here in Denver, but baseballs do NOt depend of backspin and the lift the backspin creates to help the ball stay up in the air longer. With a golf ball, back spin helps a lot, but at mile high Denver not as much. I hope this helps to explain why 5% is closer to the truth than the 19% some have mentioned. 

• Like 2

I've been doing some thinking on the issue of putters lately. I know my high CG putter works as I designed it to, and now I'm thinking of building a new design that will meet all of the USGA rules for golf clubs and see if my new design works just like my current design. If it does I think I'll see if I can get my new design approved by the USGA and I can then start to sell them as as "Conforming" putter. Should be pretty easy to make a few changes to my old design so I can build a new model for testing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IONEPUTT said:

I've been doing some thinking on the issue of putters lately. I know my high CG putter works as I designed it to, and now I'm thinking of building a new design that will meet all of the USGA rules for golf clubs and see if my new design works just like my current design. If it does I think I'll see if I can get my new design approved by the USGA and I can then start to sell them as as "Conforming" putter. Should be pretty easy to make a few changes to my old design so I can build a new model for testing. 

Jack Nicklaus used what I believe was called the ZT High Response putter in the 1986 Master's win.  Insanely high CG.  I've got one sitting around here somewhere.  So depending on your design it should be pretty straightforward when you submit the design for consideration; they've seen the concept and seen in proven almost 40 years ago.  Good luck with the design.

• Like 1

PXG 0211  12*  Paderson Kinetixx A flex

PXG 0211 5 and 7 Woods  Paderson Kinetixx A Flex

PXG 0211 5 and 5 Hybrids  MMT A Flex

Cobra 7 Hybrid  A Flex

PXG 8,9,PW,GW Vista Pro A Flex

Cleveland CBX 54/12

Cobra Vintage Nova 33"

36 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

Jack Nicklaus used what I believe was called the ZT High Response putter in the 1986 Master's win.  Insanely high CG.  I've got one sitting around here somewhere.  So depending on your design it should be pretty straightforward when you submit the design for consideration; they've seen the concept and seen in proven almost 40 years ago.  Good luck with the design.

Thanks Bobbers:  I just have to take a few measurements off of my current design and then make a few changes and build a new model. Should be pretty simple to do and shouldn't take very long. I"ll let you know what I come up with in case anyone else is interested in trying a high CG putter design. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2022 at 12:09 AM, RoyN said:

I work in club repair and do a lot of regripping of full sets, so I see some interesting and boring setups. 

So who's carrying something different in their bag this year or has an unique/unusual setup. I.e. I don't carry any fairway woods and use a chipper.

I carry all Ping clubs in my set-up but all different models….11 club setup counting putter… tighten up the gaps as the numbers get higher.  I play to a 12 hdcp. I play all different because these are the clubs I feel the most confident each time I hit them.  It’s taken me years to dial this set up in and it’s hodge lodge but works for me. 

dr- ping G15 8.5 degree (I also have it as a 12 degree)

5w- ping I-15 

3hy- ping g10

5hy-ping g15

7i- ping g5

8i- ping zing 2

I carry 2 9 irons

9i-ping g5 (42 degree)

9i- ping eye2+ (45 degree) matches modern pw loft

pw-ping eye2+ (50 degree) matches modern gw loft

sw- ping eye2 gorge 56 degree

i switch between 2 putters

40y/o  ping anser with tungsten weights drilled into the heel and toe super stroke counter balance grip.

ping DOC 15 giant mallet putter.

Edited by Travis W Smith
Clarification
  • Like 2

A couple days ago I posted a reply to a statement that playing at altitude like in Denver the ball goes 10% farther. I my post I stated that here in the Denver area we get about 5% more carry according to the tip from a PGA Tour caddie. I just got an email from Titleist and in their article I found this info.

Hey, Team Titleist.

This week the Korn Ferry Tour travels to Berthoud, Colorado for The Ascendant. The tournament is aptly named, as a climb of nearly a mile high is required to get to the host course, TPC Colorado (5,030 feet above sea level). The game changes at these heights and altitude presents some unique and noticeable challenges.

From 1986 through 2006, The International in Castle Rock, CO (elevation: 6,224′) was a regular tour stop on the PGA Tour. More recently, the WGC - Mexico Championship has been staged at Club de Golf Chapultepec in Mexico City (elevation - 7,349′). And today, the Barracuda Championship, hosted just outside Lake Tahoe, CA (elevation 5,817') has become a late-season mainstay on the PGA Tour. Bottom line, PGA Tour players are exposed fairly regularly to the adjustments needed to play well at elevation.

But what about the (predominantly) younger and inexperienced Korn Ferry players who might never have played thousands of feet above sea level? How will it affect their games? You probably know or have heard that the golf ball flies farther at high altitude, but is it impacted in other ways? For some answers, we reached out to the experts in Titleist Golf Ball R&D. Here are some key points to keep in mind the next time you have a chance to play where eagles dare.

EFFECTS OF ALTITUDE ON GOLF BALL PERFORMANCE:

• The golf ball does fly farther in high altitudes. This is mainly due to the change in air density, which decreases as elevation increases. Thinner air exerts less drag force on the ball. The ball moves more easily through the air and doesn't slow down as quickly as it flies, resulting in greater distance.

• The force of gravity also decreases the further we move away from the earth's center, but the change in force is too small to have any significant effect on the ball.

• You can calculate the distance gain you will experience (compared to sea level) by multiplying the elevation (in feet) by .00116. For example, if you're playing in Reno, at 1 mile elevation (5,280 ft.) the increase is about 6% (5,280 x .00116 = 6.1248). If you normally drive the ball 250 yards at sea level, you will likely drive it 265 yards in Reno.

• The golf ball does not spin any less at high elevation. However, because the air is less dense and imparts less force on the ball, the lift force is also lower. You'll see a flatter trajectory on your longer shots, a more shallow angle of descent and greater roll.

• Because the air is less dense at higher altitudes and imparts less force on the golf ball, the ball won't slice or hook as much. It will be harder to shape shots.

• The shorter the shot and the slower the ball moves through the air, the less impact altitude will have on golf ball aerodynamics. This means, on short approaches and greenside shots, you don't have to adjust for elevation.

While this info is surely correct, they don't take into account the effect of the dry air in Denver. Dry air is denser than moist air so the tour pros use 5% rather than the 6% that the formula comes up with. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been forced to experiment with some unconventional setups because I am absolutely terrible with fairways woods off the deck. I played 17* hybrids for a while. Tried 16 and 18 degree driving irons with no luck. Finding the Cobra F6 Baffler was a revelation. Finally gave me a weapon on par 5s and off the tee when needing to layup. That really completed my bag and let me play a pretty normal 13 club setup with D, 4 wood, hybrid, 5-PW, GW, SW LW. 

But then I found the ultimate unicorn...

The Cleveland HiBore XL 2 wood. Very odd club. Is it fugly? Yes. Does it hit straight bombs? Yes. Ok then. Shaft is 44 inches. I'm not sure of the official specs on head size, but I'd put it at 400-420cc. Bigger then mini drivers. The loft is at 16 degrees with a very tall face. Its basically a massive 3 wood. And as such is a tee only club, but its near impossible not to hit the ball high and straight with predictable carry. I find myself using it more and more. Started off as a layup club off the tee. But it launches so freaking high that its great for cutting corners over trees or houses. I've got complete confidence that its never going left which basically puts a form of driver in my hand when the hole was designed to take it out like the 17th at TPC Scottsdale. 

image.png.f2e8e8b94a7b3812343208ed48948887.png

image.png.0cdda406c13ff7030f85b6c05c7be4c5.png

image.png.2731315e8c3cd6d4c173202b855d76cc.png

So now, the bag is somewhat odd with D, 2 wood, 4 wood... etc. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

EDEL SMS WEDGE TESTER

• Driver: :ping-small: G400 MAX
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: F7 Hybrid AD DI 95s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter:   :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2 ball 

My buddy, former state AM champ, D1 golfer, mini tour player, D1 coach, now senior exec at an OEM, used to play with a 28” 54* wedge. It was his young son’s, one day he fooled around with it pitching one handed, and found he was lights out. So he played it. Added benefit was it really messed with his opponents in money games

• Like 2

Driver: Sim 9*, Diamana reg

3 wood: Srixon F85, Aldila DVS 65R

Hybrids: Srixon H45 19* & 22*, Kura Kage 70H, reg (alternate 4h for 4i)

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5-GW, Nippon 950h reg

Wedges: Golfworks Max 52* and 58*, 52* Nippon 950GH, & 58* TT90

Putter: Golfworks Max prototype, 1” slant hosel

Ball: Srixon Zstar

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5

I only have 11 clubs in the bag: driver, 2 hybrids, 4 irons, 3 wedges and putter. No fairway woods, and 6 degree gaps between my wedges. I have a tendency to overthink, and this simplifies decision-making and helps avoid analysis paralysis.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max (10.5°) (Wishon S2S Red Wood S)
Hybrids: Wishon EQ1-NX (20°, 24°) (Wishon S2S Red Hybrid S)
Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX (6i-9i) (Wishon S2S Red Iron S)
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 (46°, 52°, 58°) (Project X LZ 5.5)
Putter: :Sub70: 005 Wide Blade CS (KBS CT Tour)
Balls: :srixon-small: Z-Star

On 5/17/2022 at 8:32 AM, russtopherb said:

Met a guy last year and ended up playing a few rounds with him, as he's a co-worker of one of my regular playing partners. He's the same way - driver and irons all righty, then all short game is lefty.

I will carry 2 putters - one LH/one RH. Above the hole, I see the line better when setting up above the ball. Will also use iron 48 for full shots and a 50 wedge for partial swings. Otherwise a LH golfer.   Common thread being LH?

• Like 2