Unique WITB setups

21 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

But then I found the ultimate unicorn...

Love it @scooterhd2! I love old cleveland woods (check out the Cleveland Classic below) as they have really deep faces which I prefer! As for weird setups, I am still in my 30s and I carry two drivers (a 9* and 12*, both Cobra Speedzones with the same shaft in them). I am much straighter with the 12* but I the 9* is perfect launch conditions for me and carries the ball 30 yards farther and rolls more. From there I go 5W, 4hyb, 5hyb, 6-PW, AW, LW, Putter. And I still have room for a 14th club (sometimes it is a SW if I need it). 

image.png.80309f63d7b071533c587a5d7d6e46c1.png

image.png.7e0f3918641c9f254a4648e7cf9ffd82.png

• Like 3

Nike Sumo 13* Driver - Pinhawk 20* OL Hybrid - PTxPro 5-PW - Equalizer II Wedges - LAB Golf DF 2.1 Putter

On 7/13/2022 at 1:18 PM, scooterhd2 said:

I've been forced to experiment with some unconventional setups because I am absolutely terrible with fairways woods off the deck. I played 17* hybrids for a while. Tried 16 and 18 degree driving irons with no luck. Finding the Cobra F6 Baffler was a revelation. Finally gave me a weapon on par 5s and off the tee when needing to layup. That really completed my bag and let me play a pretty normal 13 club setup with D, 4 wood, hybrid, 5-PW, GW, SW LW. 

But then I found the ultimate unicorn...

The Cleveland HiBore XL 2 wood. Very odd club. Is it fugly? Yes. Does it hit straight bombs? Yes. Ok then. Shaft is 44 inches. I'm not sure of the official specs on head size, but I'd put it at 400-420cc. Bigger then mini drivers. The loft is at 16 degrees with a very tall face. Its basically a massive 3 wood. And as such is a tee only club, but its near impossible not to hit the ball high and straight with predictable carry. I find myself using it more and more. Started off as a layup club off the tee. But it launches so freaking high that its great for cutting corners over trees or houses. I've got complete confidence that its never going left which basically puts a form of driver in my hand when the hole was designed to take it out like the 17th at TPC Scottsdale. 

image.png.f2e8e8b94a7b3812343208ed48948887.png

image.png.0cdda406c13ff7030f85b6c05c7be4c5.png

image.png.2731315e8c3cd6d4c173202b855d76cc.png

So now, the bag is somewhat odd with D, 2 wood, 4 wood... etc. 

Just a different marketing ploy--- Lots of manufacturers offer 12* and 13* drivers in their regular line up. And with adjustable drivers these days you can loft some up that high I have been told. Back in the persimmon days with a matched set 2 woods were common usually 2 to 3 degrees different from the driver. And yes the persimmon 2 woods are easy to elevate even with the modern balls. In my vintage play sometimes I play a 2 wood instead of a driver. I know a guy around here now who is a pretty good stick that plays like a 9.5* driver and his other driver is a 11.5* driver then it is a 5 wood. He also carries a Ping driving iron at like 19*. He knows how to use his set up

• Like 2

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Just a different marketing ploy--- Lots of manufacturers offer 12* and 13* drivers in their regular line up. And with adjustable drivers these days you can loft some up that high I have been told. Back in the persimmon days with a matched set 2 woods were common usually 2 to 3 degrees different from the driver. And yes the persimmon 2 woods are easy to elevate even with the modern balls. In my vintage play sometimes I play a 2 wood instead of a driver. I know a guy around here now who is a pretty good stick that plays like a 9.5* driver and his other driver is a 11.5* driver then it is a 5 wood. He also carries a Ping driving iron at like 19*. He knows how to use his set up

This is a little different, and hence why its called a unicorn or goat. They are hard to find at all, and especially under $200 despite being released in 2007 from whats largely considered a 2nd tier manufacture at best. The driver sells for pennies. The 2 wood is different. Its not a 12 degree driver that numerous manufacturers produce. Its 16 degrees of loft. The head is heavy. Mine plays D4 at 44 inches. You cut 12 degree driver to 44 and its playing in the Cs without lead. Very unique club. Most comparable clubs are ladies drivers or old man drivers that are light and tinny. 

• Like 1

EDEL SMS WEDGE TESTER

• Driver: :ping-small: G400 MAX
  • Woods::cobra-small: F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: F7 Hybrid AD DI 95s
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter:   :odyssey-small: White Hot OG 2 ball 

12 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

This is a little different, and hence why its called a unicorn or goat. They are hard to find at all, and especially under $200 despite being released in 2007 from whats largely considered a 2nd tier manufacture at best. The driver sells for pennies. The 2 wood is different. Its not a 12 degree driver that numerous manufacturers produce. Its 16 degrees of loft. The head is heavy. Mine plays D4 at 44 inches. You cut 12 degree driver to 44 and its playing in the Cs without lead. Very unique club. Most comparable clubs are ladies drivers or old man drivers that are light and tinny. 

Did not realize it was 16*

• Like 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

Well if I didn't answer this earlier in the thread I will now because mine is unique and fitted.

Three years ago I was honored to be selected for the MGS Ping long game thread.  I was coming off of shooting 69 with my set up at that time.  It turned out that I carried 3 wood, 4 hybrid and 5 hybrid the same distance even though they ran out to different numbers (not a good thing in Florida in the summer.)

My fitter also told me that I should get a driver with more loft (I did, he was wrong there, maybe it was the day) and that 6 iron was marginal for me - he was spot on there.  Fortunately we were allowed to order 4 clubs so I got an additional lofted hybrid.  Recently I stuck the 6 iron in the closet and the hybrid is in, I hit it so well!!!  So currently by bag is Driver, 5,7,9 wood, 6 hybrid, 7-GW Wilson D7 forged (they look so sweet and really produce), Edison 53 (bent to 54) and 59 - I miss my SCORs but they are aging.  I'm getting used to the larger Edison foot print.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

On 5/28/2022 at 12:36 PM, RoyN said:

Hey I've seen younger guys carry a 5 7 and 9 wood because they cant hit a 3w off the deck and hate hybrids.

I dropped my 3W & 5 iron and now carry a 5W, 7W & 9W

• Like 1

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.pngPXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.pngPXG 0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan VKTR 3 Hybrid(18*)w/Recoil ES regular shaft

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50*/54*/58*) w/DG Spinner wedge shafts 

Putter: 33”   Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black). 

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Using Shot Scope V3 and MG4000 Rangefinder

I just bought 1970s Era musclebacks...George Nicoll Royale.

Had them as teenager, made it to scratch and about to put modern shafts in and see what happens with a 60 year old swing instead of 19 year old body !.

• Like 2

I still occasionally use 70's and 80's muscle back irons to play at home. The head pro asked why would I  sacrifice 25% forgiveness. He doesn't work here anymore.  1978 Hogan Apex II's, 1982 Mac Gregor Jack Nicklaus Murifield, 1 iron is not stamped Murifield into the top back of the club. 1991 Titleist Tour Model. I also sport 1995 MP 29's, 2001 Nike Blade, 2009 Nike Vr Pro, Titleist 712 blades. I may need to  copy/paste to the BST forum.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 1:38 PM, scooterhd2 said:

I would never consider Cleveland Golf a second tier company back when Roger Cleveland owned it. They produced some great forged blade irons and the GOAT wedges the 588s and 900s. They also produced some great putters including the Forged 8802 copy. 

On 7/15/2022 at 8:36 PM, TitleistMike said:

I just bought 1970s Era musclebacks...George Nicoll Royale.

Had them as teenager, made it to scratch and about to put modern shafts in and see what happens with a 60 year old swing instead of 19 year old body !.

Hey I still play muscle back blades front line--- And yes they will hit well with modern shafts even at your age when you get them tuned right for you. There is just something about the old school forged steel

On 7/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, Slypanther said:

I still occasionally use 70's and 80's muscle back irons to play at home. The head pro asked why would I  sacrifice 25% forgiveness. He doesn't work here anymore.  1978 Hogan Apex II's, 1982 Mac Gregor Jack Nicklaus Murifield, 1 iron is not stamped Murifield into the top back of the club. 1991 Titleist Tour Model. I also sport 1995 MP 29's, 2001 Nike Blade, 2009 Nike Vr Pro, Titleist 712 blades. I may need to  copy/paste to the BST forum.

Ha Ha look at my signature I still play a set of Muirfields and that is not my vintage bag that is my front line bag. LOL my vintage bag consists of 1962 FC-4000s. LOL my back up sets are 2 other sets of Muirfields and 2 sets of VIPs. If I really want to get vintage I have a set of 54 Hogan Precisions and a set of 1940 Tommy Armour 3800s with the green Pyratone shaft. For now during the week ( when it is not raining) I play the persimmons with the FCs. Lately the only time I drag the signature set out is in the Saturday Shootouts. I need the modern firepower there because they will not let me play from the more forward tees with the persimmon stuff. They say the more forward tees are for those 70 and older and I am only 65. They did let me do that gag about a year and a half ago in the Shootout when I was recovering from my accident. The course was hard and dry and I was getting a lot of roll from the persimmon. Yeah we steamrolled them that day and they raised hell. Of course it was not all me I had 2 of the best putters at the club on my team and most holes I did not even have to get off the cart at the green.