Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Fixing ball marks properly

chisag

We all have to learn somehow, this would definitely help. Should be mandatory for everyone on a golf course to watch this. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

1 minute ago, ParFore74x said:

We all have to learn somehow, this would definitely help. Should be mandatory for everyone on a golf course to watch this. 

... Amen brother and I was one of the ignorant, digging in my repair tool and lifting until I played with a Greenskeeper that went politely ballistic and gave me the lecture on why it is so bad for greens and showed me the proper way to repair a ball mark. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I’ll be honest I had to use a video. I never really had anyone teach me, we all start somewhere… I will say though over the weekend I did a fine repair job on some premium ball marks👌🏻

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Our greens are very firm except first thing in the morning after overnight irrigation.  When a ball mark made in the morning is not been fixed all day, it becomes dried out and the depression very hard.  The only way to repair it is to lift underneath.  Fortunately, the poa annua comes back quickly after the overnight watering.  

We are a muni.  I bet 80% of the players don't have a repair tool, and of those 20% that do, only a handful actually use it... and nobody that I know of uses a tee.  The worst offenders are our Men's Club who play early when the greens are wet.  I've played right behind them, and I repair many fresh ball marks.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I still use a Mark Mender repair tool.

mark-mender-2.jpg

Unfortunately the company doesn't sell individually online any more. Eventually I'll get a 2 prong fork thing.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I didn't figure out the right way to do it until a few years ago. Though sometimes in early season the ground is too firm and you have no choice but to lift from underneath. I have about a dozen two prong tools in my bag. The nicer public places hand them out, and whenever I've been fortunate to play a club, I grab one or two.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

It depends on the mark and the turf according to the greenskeeper at the cc I worked at back in the 70's.

If the turf is thick and is merely dented you can successfully repair by lifting without tearing it or the roots.  There is no need to lift from underneath so hard and far as to rip the turf as they show in the video. 

If the ball mark is severe and has torn the green then I pull from the sides as the video shows.  This happens on 'thin' turf greens a lot.  Bulle Rock has that type of greens and they provide a special repair tool with very short prongs and a 'shoulder' to keep from digging in too deep.  I'll get a pic of it added here at some point.

IMG_20220518_083544799.jpg

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Does anyone else find it ironic that in the video the incorrect method is demonstrated using a Cameron pivot tool 😁.   I guess just because you can own a Scotty doesn’t mean you know how to fix a divot.  The tool itself could be considered poorly designed since it sets up to pry the divot in the incorrect manner.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I also started out with improper technique and was educated by a video. The players that bother me are the ones that obviously play regularly and should know better. I do my best to repair two or three on each green, hard to keep up some days. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

21 hours ago, chisag said:

... I am still amazed at how many good players repair their ball marks improperly. The most egregious being lifting the turf underneath instead of pulling from the edges. I have played with high school, college and even mini tour players that dig and lift, breaking the roots and killing the grass leaving those brown spots on greens. The worst part is they are trying to do the right thing but have never been educated. I think it is a good idea to post a refresher every now and then so here ya go:

Never have i been so wrong i thought i knew how to make memes - Sudden ...

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Last year I switched to a single prong - dunno but IMHO it encourages a pushing against the raised edges of the pitch mark, vs the 2 prong / fork type that seems to encourage the user to dig & lift from underneath more.....

Oh, PS: happily this year I'm getting to use the divot tool more 😉

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I am a divot maestro. I take great pride in making the green look like my ball has never been there. That being said, I teach about anyone I play with the correct technique if needed.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-