Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

One Length Scoring Clubs

Shankster

I’ve been thinking about this for a few days.  And I think I would thoroughly enjoy it if my 8 iron - 56 were all the same length.  Just a matter of having a club builder mat swing weight and gap them properly.  But I am growing to dislike 35.5” wedge shafts, I get too steep with them… yea, a swing fault most likely.

I would give it a try. I've always been curious about one length. I think the new forged TEC in one length would be great. That being said in scoring clubs it would seem to make a bit more sense as the gaping seems to get worse the longer the shot. 

Do you think the note delicate shots would be any different or more or less tricky with the added length? Full shots i still could see soon increases maybe?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I will say that in the short time I got to demo a one length set, the scoring clubs were my absolute favorites. I've never been able to hit those high perfect wedges that stop on a dime save for with one lengths.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I tested the Cobra F8 one lengths.  It felt strange to hit a one length wedge out of a bunker and more times than not I didn't make it out (I'm a terrible bunker player to begin with but having a longer club to hit I think messed with my mind more so).  I've since switched back to standard length wedges (still terrible out of bunkers but only less so, 😀😅🤣). Now from the fairway it's wasn't such a big deal hitting a full one length wedge.

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I like the concept of one length irons but I think there is a better middle ground to reduce the single length compromises. I wish more companies made a dual length set or a set designed for less length progression. The only dual length set I'm aware of is the Pinhawk set from Hireko. The Pinhawk set is designed for the 3,4, & 5 iron to be 38" and the shorter irons at 36.5". I think this is a better balance between scoring and long irons that having every iron at 37" to 37.5". I've always found that people stop using one lengths because the compromise is too great in the long run. You could also try building a set with less length progression, starting longer at the wedge and working up from there. It may be a little ugly as it will likely require lead tape but you or a club fitter should be able to work out the math so excessive amounts of lead tape aren't required. 

9 minutes ago, Kansas King said:

I like the concept of one length irons but I think there is a better middle ground to reduce the single length compromises. I wish more companies made a dual length set or a set designed for less length progression. The only dual length set I'm aware of is the Pinhawk set from Hireko. The Pinhawk set is designed for the 3,4, & 5 iron to be 38" and the shorter irons at 36.5". I think this is a better balance between scoring and long irons that having every iron at 37" to 37.5". I've always found that people stop using one lengths because the compromise is too great in the long run. You could also try building a set with less length progression, starting longer at the wedge and working up from there. It may be a little ugly as it will likely require lead tape but you or a club fitter should be able to work out the math so excessive amounts of lead tape aren't required. 

EQUS golf is another option; they use 3 lengths: https://www.equsgolf.com

they were part of most wanted testing back in 2017.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

EQUS golf is another option; they use 3 lengths: https://www.equsgolf.com

they were part of most wanted testing back in 2017.  

Those are interesting. Ultimately, I think the progressive set as we have it today is the way it is because it maximizes performance. I do like the EQUS idea of three lengths and I especially like their attention to detail regarding MOI and CG matching to make the set feel right from top to bottom. I'm curious if they are still in business or not because everything is sold out online. 

Ultimately, I think my one big hang up with the whole one-length concept is the claim about only needing one swing. I like the idea but does anyone every consciously pull out a longer or shorter iron and say to themselves "I need to use my flatter swing from this 5-iron since it's longer". I don't think so. I think most people who are experienced golfers know that on days you have truly good swings, you can hit every club in the bag without issue. I'm fully on board with the idea of maybe shortening the longer clubs in the bag to improve control, however. I don't think the end solution is single length. In fact, I think the ultimate solution to fitting is variable progressive length sets but fittings will involve finding what the best length is for the shortest and longest iron, then building a progressive set between those two lengths. The challenge will be getting companies to build iron heads with enough weight adjustability to fit a wide range of lengths. 

I've played Cobra one lengths for over 2 years now and I wouldn't go back to regular stepped set for anything. The only problem I had was not having an iron longer than a 6. I had 3,4 and 5 one length Cobra hybrids,that I did not like, to fill out the set. I recently got a used Cobra one length 5 iron to replace the 5 hybrid. Then I added 5 and 7 Mizuno DD Sure fairway woods to replace the 4 and 3 hybrids. I'm so happy with the Mizuno's that I'm looking for a 3 wood as well. The DD Sure's are are a one length type set. The difference is that the set is divided into 4 lengths fairway woods, hybrids, short irons and last the wedges. The biggest issue is that the Mizuno's are apparently rare in the US and therefore expensive.

827-1654a.jpg

3 minutes ago, wdbritt said:

I've played Cobra one lengths for over 2 years now and I wouldn't go back to regular stepped set for anything. The only problem I had was not having an iron longer than a 6. I had 3,4 and 5 one length Cobra hybrids,that I did not like, to fill out the set. I recently got a used Cobra one length 5 iron to replace the 5 hybrid. Then I added 5 and 7 Mizuno DD Sure fairway woods to replace the 4 and 3 hybrids. I'm so happy with the Mizuno's that I'm looking for a 3 wood as well. The DD Sure's are are a one length type set. The difference is that the set is divided into 4 lengths fairway woods, hybrids, short irons and last the wedges. The biggest issue is that the Mizuno's are apparently rare in the US and therefore expensive.

Learned something new tonight.  Thanks for sharing that information.  Never heard of those particular Mizuno’s.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2022 at 11:37 AM, Kansas King said:

I would agree with your premise.  I’ve been playing a dual set of Cobra irons for 2 years now that I really enjoy.  On the Cobra website, I had to buy each club individually, but I basically bought Forged-Tec 7 through gap standard length, but the 4-6 are King SZ game-improvement are 6-iron length.  I’ve reallly enjoyed the set as I bought them, however, I’ve found that I have a distance gapping issue with the 4 and 5 iron.  Functionally, they both go between 200 to 220 yards.  So, I’m basically in the market for a standard-length driving iron as I’ve never really enjoyed hitting hybrids (my own personal bias/mental block).  However, I really didn’t like looking at a standard-length wedge, but I could possibly go single-length to the gap.

Basically, I really like the idea of single-length clubs, and I hope that they’ll continue to put research $$ behind the concept.

Y’all have a great spring and summer!!

469CF15C-E721-4D0C-92B6-2511A6835711.jpeg

WITB - Callaway Epic driver, Nike 3 wood Vapor, Cobra single length 4-6, Cobra 7-Gap standard length, and my latest putter to fix all my issues. 

• 5 weeks later...

After 2 years I have ended my own personal One Length experiment.  Even though I had played some quality golf with the one lengths in the bag, saw my handicap get as low as it has ever been, I decided to move away from them for multiple reasons.  For one the distance with the high irons(4-6) was substantially shorter than I had previously hit the ball, this created a strange gap between irons and hybrid/woods where I found myself having to hit 60-75% hybrid shots and hoping I judged it the right way.  For me that is never a recipe for success.  Finally I was never really comfortable with the PW and GW with the one length set.  On full swings they were ok, but anytime I needed to flight it differently or hit a knock down wedge it also felt awkward and inconsistent.  The only thing I loved with the one lengths was the consistent ball flight with each club(this is the reason I made the switch 2 years ago) but ultimately the lack of distance and uncomfortableness with the scoring club led me to switch back to standard length clubs.  I do think 2 years is long enough to give it a good try and I do not regret putting these in the bag at all.  I have small children and I have actually thought that a one length junior set would be a great idea to teach them to play if they ever become interested.

Driver - Cobra LTDx LS 9* Silver Rouge 110 msi 70 X

3W -Titleist TSR2 15* TENSEI 1K Black 75

5W - Cobra LTDx 18.5* TENSEI 1K Black 75

Irons - 4-PW Cobra LTDx Nippon Tour 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - 52*, 56*, 60* Cobra KING

Putter - Toulon Palm Springs

Ball - Taylormade TP5x

I've been using the Cobra 1-length irons for about a year now, and I like them.  For me, the best part is that my swing set-up is the same for every iron.  I don't have to adjust ball position or how far I am from the ball.  It just reduces variability.    It is not a cure-all, but I think it has helped.  Some clubs I think I hit better; but clubs I had trouble hitting before, I still had trouble hitting.  Like my 5-iron, which I eventually replaced with a 5-hybrid; and I'm still lousy out of a greenside bunker with my sand wedge.  But I can't blame the clubs for that.

I've really liked my one length - and have been very happy with the wedges.  Less variability has been a big plus (especially since my skillest coach has me working on posture and set up to fix some bad habits I picked up over the winter).  My one complaint is that the Cobra one length hybrids tend to really really draw (hook?).  I find I have a good gap with the 5h and 4h.  But boy, do I fight a big sweeping draw/hook.  I've got the F9s in the garage, and play the Forged-TEC Black in my bag. Big fan. I play those wedges better than the shorter/variable style.  I definitely get more height.  Took a bit of getting used to w the wedges, like a week.  But I wouldn't trade em.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I have played 1L irons for more than 8 years -- first as custom fit set of Wishon Sterling irons, and then Cobra F8.  I still game the Cobra irons, 7i through GW.   I had a 55 degree wedge made 7i length to gap into the set.   But lately I have been playing conventional lengh 52 and 56 and 60 degree wedges at the bottom of the bag.  I sometimes carry the 1L 6i as well.  Otherwise, I move into a 5h (25 degree TM Stealth) and 4h (Callaway Xr).    I like the consistency of short irons through GW all being the same set up, length, ball postion, etc.   I also like that I can grip down a little for in-between yardages and not worry about hitting it thin.   GW is probably the last club in the bag that I use for a full swing (about 100 yards).   The shorter wedges are for half shots, pitching and chipping.  I can hit full half wedges, but I am more likely to hit a partial PW or GW than the shorter club for, say, 75 yards because the swing is shorter and less can go wrong.    Anyway, I would fully suggest you explore the 1L.   You always have options for the longer irons (or shorter ones) if one or the other in the 1L does not suit you.  I mix and match all the time just for the sake of confidence and results.    For reference, I am 63 and play to a single digit index.     Good Luck and enjoy the journey.   

----------

PIng G410, 10.5 set at 9.5/  Cleveland 3+ Hy-wood (18*) / Titleist 915 7w / Callaway XR 4h / Tour Edge HL-4 5h / Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal 7i - GW / Tommy Armour 845 CB wedges (52, 56*).   Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter.   SkyTrak in the Garage.  

On 5/19/2022 at 1:12 PM, silver & black said:

I hear ya. I did significant damage to myself early on in my life with Martial Arts, Mtn. Biking and Tennis... and a few other dumb things...lol.

Yeah Martial arts was good while I was training 25-30 hours a week with the constant bruising lol, did that for 3 years and thought I was pretty good and was looking for fights on Friday night lol, lucky nobody was interested and I was in my 40s so bloody stupid. My knees and wrist’s are not good…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

I am about a year and half into my own experiment with a similar concept. Originally started with my 2 favorite length clubs. LW to 8 iron were GW length, 7-4 iron were 7 iron length. Of course making the correct lie changes and Swing weight changes. After a few months I ultimately landed on standard length LW - 7 iron and kept the one length 6, 5, 4, iron at 7 iron length. I found I needed 5 degrees between 4 (20 deg) and 5 iron (25 deg) and 5 and 6 iron (30 deg) to get my distance gaps correct. I also went to Mizuno MP 18 fli hi head in the 4 and 5 iron. 

I originally did this with X100 shafts but now have Modus 105x, something about the Modus 105x made this a lot better. I really liked the concept but my golf/scoring didn't reflect it until I made 1 final change, and that was to really focus in on Swing weight. I got some GP Tour 25 grips and went to town where needed on lead tape and play my LW at E0, SW at D8 and everything else at D6. I also built up my grips a tiny bit. All of this was in an effort to eliminate the pull hook. I am about 10 rounds in and its worked beautifully, when I hit it left it just seems to be a pull and the hook part is gone, some even drift back to the right which has been missing from my game for years but in general my miss is now a little bit right and not left of left.  

This isn't for everyone, but anyone that hits the ball high enough, I would consider it. I don't worry nearly as much about making solid contact with my long irons anymore, even on the days when the ball striking isn't all there. I also find I can actually flight a 4 and 5 iron down in the wind, a shot that traditionally I would try but it would always drift up on me. 

Final changes - I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I am considering adding a little bit of length back to the longer irons. I am thinking of adding .25 inch to the 6 iron, .5 inch to the 5 iron (so 6 iron length) and .5 or .75 inch to the 4 iron. The reason is when the ball is on an awkward lie (and really when is it other then on tee) it can feel a little awkward. I would also like to see a little more pop on the 5 and particularity the 4 iron as I would love another 5ish yards carry with it for 2 shots I often have at my home club. 

Edited by Chadvb

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Taylormade M2 10.5 deg (@8.5) - Accra Tour Z M4 (future Otto Phlex Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 44g A flex as a 2nd option)

3 wood - Mizuno 15 deg (@14) ST200 - Tensei Blue X flex

Driving iron - Taylormade GAP2 2 lo (@16) - Accra M4 hybrid shaft (39 inch), 4 Utility - Taylormade GAPR 4 lo (@20.5)

5 iron -  Mp18 MMC Fli Hi - Modus 105x - 7 iron length

Irons - (PW - 6) JPX 900 tour - Modus 105x (6 iron is 7 iron length) 

Wedges (50,55) - Vokey SM7

Wedge (60) Callaway PM Grind        

Putter: Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide with Superstroke Wrist Lock grip at 37 inch

18 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

I've really liked my one length - and have been very happy with the wedges.  Less variability has been a big plus (especially since my skillest coach has me working on posture and set up to fix some bad habits I picked up over the winter).  My one complaint is that the Cobra one length hybrids tend to really really draw (hook?).  I find I have a good gap with the 5h and 4h.  But boy, do I fight a big sweeping draw/hook.  I've got the F9s in the garage, and play the Forged-TEC Black in my bag. Big fan. I play those wedges better than the shorter/variable style.  I definitely get more height.  Took a bit of getting used to w the wedges, like a week.  But I wouldn't trade em.

You may try some lead tape positioned towards the toe on your hybrids. I personally find most hybrids, especially when built for GI, are either too light or too draw oriented. Lead tape is about the only solution and it can work well but it may not always be pretty cosmetically. 

9 hours ago, Chadvb said:

I got some GP Tour 25 grips and went to town where needed on lead tape and play my LW at E0, SW at D8 and everything else at D6. I also built up my grips a tiny bit. 

Yeah I did similar, my T200 Irons are D4 and I'm thinking of trying D6 but thought it was too much. My 4iron is D2 and I can get 194metres out of it well once I hit it perfect when I was laying up 25metres short to avoid bunkers, bunkers in NZ are crappy dirt lol. So more lead tapeology happening here, appreciate your feedback...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

My wedges are all my 48/54/58 are all the same length(50*). has really revolutionized my wedge game. 

Driver -  :titelist-small: TSi2 10* - Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

Fairway -  :titelist-small: TSi3 15* Mitsubishi Tensei White

Irons -  :cobra-small: Speed zone 4/5/6/7/8/9/P with KBS v tour steel stiff shafts

Wedges -   :taylormade-small: 48/54/58 - Tour V wedge shafts 

Putter -  :scotty-small: 2021 Phantom X 5 - 34" w/ superstroke flatso 1.0

Ball -  :titelist-small: Prov 1 optic yellow

Bag - :titleist-small: Players 4 plus stand bag - lagoon/black/charcoal

When I was looking at new clubs 10 years ago I tried one length. I actually liked the 3-7 irons but the issue I had was with the 8-PW. To me it just felt wrong and I found the SW to be the worst. I am a very good bunker player but with the one length I really struggled. BTW, my wedges are almost all the  same length. I actually thought about getting a custom set with 3-7 one length 8-9 one length etc.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

• 1 month later...

I have used Single Length irons for about 10 years now. Started off with a used set of 1Irongolf.com, then bought some Pinhawks, then had a club builder fit me for some Sterling Irons (LW-4i).  I love them, and have no problem hitting full and partial wedge shots with them. I use the LW, which has very little bounce, to get out of wet dirt/sand bunkers, and I use the SW & GW from 30 to 70 yards partial wedge shots. I also chip with them. I do use a Cleveland CBX 58° wedge for under 30 yards.

I have had my current set about 5 years, and am considering getting the Wishon EQ1-NX Single Length next.

1023488378_BrianPBigham.JPG.42ede97264d0c09f186c43ed094a1a29.JPG