Looking for putter suggestions

I've been struggling with the flat stick for awhile so beginning to explore some ideas. I'm intrigued by the face-balanced concept, but wondering what's available on the market with a heavier than average head. I tested out a couple of the Cleveland Huntington Beach models which have heads weighing in at 365g, but they didn't feel as heavy as I'd like. That's probably because I've been using the Yes! Sara 12 Mid for probably 10 years and the head on it comes in at just over 400g. Speaking of which, my Yes! putter is counterbalanced which is another characteristic that I like so I'm also curious whether there are any putters that are both face-balanced and counterbalanced. I see no reason why those two attributes would be mutually exclusive.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Few OTR putters will come in the weight range you are looking for.  370ish is probably your limit unless you get one of the older heavy putters.  Counterbalancing is something you can easily do yourself with a heavy grip, or weights like in the super stroke grips or balance certified/tour lock systems.  You could even insert your own DIY weight in the butt of the club.  

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Like CNosil said, if you're hoping to go into a Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore, or Dick's and find something right away, that's going to be super unlikely.

I know, and that's only because I own one, that Sik Golf heads do normally run on the heavy side. I think my Flo-C is around 400 grams and you can get any head with a double bend shaft leading to a face balance, but they are on the higher end of the price curve. Perhaps if you want something truly 1 of 1, maybe the PING PLD and then adding weight through the WRX department could be in play as well, but again, that's a spicy and expensive meatball. 

Hope this helps a little to help send you on some ideas.

• Like 3

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Project X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: Hi Toe Raw 48* (bent from 50*), 53* (bent from 54*), and 58*, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

SIK Golf Flo-C

:srixon-small: Z-Star XV Divide

11 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

I've been struggling with the flat stick for awhile so beginning to explore some ideas. I'm intrigued by the face-balanced concept, but wondering what's available on the market with a heavier than average head. I tested out a couple of the Cleveland Huntington Beach models which have heads weighing in at 365g, but they didn't feel as heavy as I'd like. That's probably because I've been using the Yes! Sara 12 Mid for probably 10 years and the head on it comes in at just over 400g. Speaking of which, my Yes! putter is counterbalanced which is another characteristic that I like so I'm also curious whether there are any putters that are both face-balanced and counterbalanced. I see no reason why those two attributes would be mutually exclusive.

Check out Sub 70 golf. There putters are heavier than normal and many come with a weight kit, don't believe you will be disappointed

• Like 5

I second @tschott. I have the 005 and love it.

• Like 1

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0

Hybrid: Maltby KE4 HDI 4 and 5 UST Recoil 660 F4
Irons: Maltby DBM Forged UST Recoil 660 F4
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S

Wedge: SCOR4161 46° and 50° 
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

13 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

I tested the Evnroll ER11v last year for the forum. You could customize it and it does have interchangeable weights. One of the great features of the ER11v is the multiple styles of hosels to choose from and you can also select their “Gravity Grip” to counter balance the putter. The ER11v now is my gamer. Oh and Golf Galaxy carries Evnroll.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

TaylorMade Supreme Hybrid Stand Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

PXG 0341 3 wood 15° w/Project X Even Flow Blue

Ping G30 19° 3 Hybrid w/Ping TFC 419H

Ping G25 4 - UW w/Ping CFS

Callaway Mack Daddy CB 54°/14° w/KBS 105 Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway MD3 58°/9° W Grind w/True Temper Dynamic Gold 

Evnroll ER11v 34” Evnroll ER11v Official Review

Snell MTB-Black or Maxfli Tour

Mileseey PF210 Laser Rangefinder

Clicgear 3.5+

1 hour ago, tschott said:

Check out Sub 70 golf. There putters are heavier than normal and many come with a weight kit, don't believe you will be disappointed

Just checked out their website and this looks like a promising option. Will keep you posted if I decide to buy something from them.

15 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

A few thoughts- 

golfworks has several very high quality putter heads 370+ Gms.

https://www.golfworks.com/heads/c/10001/filter/100000000159eq100000000315/

If you add a hosel adapter it’ll get you over 400, and still be face balanced. Use a longer straight shaft and a CB super stroke and it’ll fit your needs. They’ll build it for you 

they also have blades near 400. I have one (ptm4) with a cb grip I’m looking to sell cheap if interested 

• Like 1

Driver: Sim 9*, Diamana reg

4 wood: Tour Edge CB4, 16.5*, Aldila DVS 65R

Hybrids: Srixon H45 19* & 22*, Kura Kage 70H, reg (alternate 4h for 4i)

Irons: Golfworks KE4 Tour+ 4 with Recoil 660; 5-GW, Nippon 950h reg

Wedges: Golfworks M series yellow 54* Nippon 950GH, & 58* FST 115

Putter: Odyssey TEN 

Ball: Srixon Zstar

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5

The Wilson Bucktown is 365. It is face balanced and counterbalance. I want between the Cleveland and the Wilson. 

• Like 1

I recently switched to an Odyssey TEN and love it.  It has adjustable weights so you can customize to your liking. I tried the ELEVEN model but the feel and balance of this one worked better for me.  

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX 6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Steelhead lll, Strong 4, with Graphite Design YS-7

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra Tour Baffler, 18*, with Speeder Shaft

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 with Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 50, 56, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey White Hot #9

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

On 3/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, yungkory said:

FORUM TESTING STARTING OFF WITH A BANGER!

19 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

Check out Edel, mine is heavier like you prefer and the toe up balance feels very forgiving. I also have a Seemore face balanced putter, they have awesome customer service so you may want to reach out to them.  

• Like 1

I'm using a Cobra Vintage Nova at the present time.  It's got two weight ports and kits are available to allow you to customize it.  It's face balanced as well.  Good luck, you've been given a lot of really good suggestions thus far.

• Like 1

PXG 0211  12*  Paderson Kinetixx A flex

PXG 0211 5 and 7 Woods  Paderson Kinetixx A Flex

PXG 0211 5 and 5 Hybrids  MMT A Flex

Cobra 7 Hybrid  A Flex

PXG 8,9,PW,GW Vista Pro A Flex

Cleveland CBX 54/12

Cobra Vintage Nova 33"

19 hours ago, Jwood said:

My Sub70 is currently in transit. I ordered the 004 Mallet. 

I bought the same putter last year and my confidence has improved and 3 putts have almost disappeared. Using the 10 gram weights now is yours double or single bend shaft? I'm still tinkering with the grip that feels the best. Currently using Garsen Quad Tour and just ordered a 2 Thumb. 

The pxg gun boat is at out slightly above 400g. Also has a weight kit available. Not sure if face balanced.

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G425 LST, set at 9.5, Alta S-Flex

Fairway: :ping-small: G400 3 Wood, 14.5, Alta CB 65, S-Flex

Hybrid:  :ping-small: G400 3 Hybrid, 19, Alta CB 70, S-Flex

Irons:   :callaway-small: 2019 Apex forged, 5-PW, Recoil grahphite shafts, S-flex

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged wedges, 50, 54, 58, Recoil Dart S-flex

Putter:  :cameron-small: Phantom X #6 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2

Ball:  VICE Pro 

Grips: Winn DriTac midsize

On 5/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, Eat My Divots said:

They are not.  I've never liked light putters; it seemed that I could never put a smooth, straight stroke going back.  On one of my trips to Phoenix, I got fitted at Ping HQ; ended up with the Ping Sigma G Doon... face-balanced and counterbalanced.  The shortest length in that model was 35" so I had Ping build one to 34", which puts a lot of the counterbalance weight above my hands.  I also had to have the lie angle adjusted to 71º.  I love that putter and don't even look at putters anymore when I go to a golf shop.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/18/2022 at 2:24 PM, Jwood said:

My Sub70 is currently in transit. I ordered the 004 Mallet. 

I just ordered the Sub70 003 Mallet with the double bend shaft and having a Kotahi grip installed. Taking a gamble with all of this, but I'm optimistic that it will be a good setup for me.

BTW, the customer service at Sub70 is top notch, a real pleasure to work with them!

• Like 1

I have the PXG Closer II with the weight kit.  I took it out of the box and it felt light so I made it as heavy as I could with the kit and now I love it.  Just need to find the love of your life I guess.... 

• Like 1

There is about to be one heck of a MGS test showcasing the L.A.B. Putters, like usual I expect all of the testers to be honest and give a real world look into how they perform… keep an eye out for it before you make a final decision. 😉

• Like 1