TESTERS WANTED! ×

Looking for putter suggestions

Eat My Divots

I've been struggling with the flat stick for awhile so beginning to explore some ideas. I'm intrigued by the face-balanced concept, but wondering what's available on the market with a heavier than average head. I tested out a couple of the Cleveland Huntington Beach models which have heads weighing in at 365g, but they didn't feel as heavy as I'd like. That's probably because I've been using the Yes! Sara 12 Mid for probably 10 years and the head on it comes in at just over 400g. Speaking of which, my Yes! putter is counterbalanced which is another characteristic that I like so I'm also curious whether there are any putters that are both face-balanced and counterbalanced. I see no reason why those two attributes would be mutually exclusive.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Few OTR putters will come in the weight range you are looking for.  370ish is probably your limit unless you get one of the older heavy putters.  Counterbalancing is something you can easily do yourself with a heavy grip, or weights like in the super stroke grips or balance certified/tour lock systems.  You could even insert your own DIY weight in the butt of the club.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Like CNosil said, if you're hoping to go into a Golf Galaxy, PGA Superstore, or Dick's and find something right away, that's going to be super unlikely.

I know, and that's only because I own one, that Sik Golf heads do normally run on the heavy side. I think my Flo-C is around 400 grams and you can get any head with a double bend shaft leading to a face balance, but they are on the higher end of the price curve. Perhaps if you want something truly 1 of 1, maybe the PING PLD and then adding weight through the WRX department could be in play as well, but again, that's a spicy and expensive meatball. 

Hope this helps a little to help send you on some ideas.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

11 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

I've been struggling with the flat stick for awhile so beginning to explore some ideas. I'm intrigued by the face-balanced concept, but wondering what's available on the market with a heavier than average head. I tested out a couple of the Cleveland Huntington Beach models which have heads weighing in at 365g, but they didn't feel as heavy as I'd like. That's probably because I've been using the Yes! Sara 12 Mid for probably 10 years and the head on it comes in at just over 400g. Speaking of which, my Yes! putter is counterbalanced which is another characteristic that I like so I'm also curious whether there are any putters that are both face-balanced and counterbalanced. I see no reason why those two attributes would be mutually exclusive.

Check out Sub 70 golf. There putters are heavier than normal and many come with a weight kit, don't believe you will be disappointed

Driver-Sub70 849D

3 wood-Sub70 939X

5 wood-Callaway Rogue

4 hybrid-Tour Edge EXS 220

irons-Sub70 699 V2 irons

wedges-Sub70 JB wedges, 50, 54, 58

putter-Sub 70 FN 001 with Evenroll Gravity Grip

Ball-OnCore Elixir

I second @tschott. I have the 005 and love it.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

13 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

I tested the Evnroll ER11v last year for the forum. You could customize it and it does have interchangeable weights. One of the great features of the ER11v is the multiple styles of hosels to choose from and you can also select their “Gravity Grip” to counter balance the putter. The ER11v now is my gamer. Oh and Golf Galaxy carries Evnroll.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

1 hour ago, tschott said:

Check out Sub 70 golf. There putters are heavier than normal and many come with a weight kit, don't believe you will be disappointed

Just checked out their website and this looks like a promising option. Will keep you posted if I decide to buy something from them.

15 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

A few thoughts- 

golfworks has several very high quality putter heads 370+ Gms.

https://www.golfworks.com/heads/c/10001/filter/100000000159eq100000000315/

If you add a hosel adapter it’ll get you over 400, and still be face balanced. Use a longer straight shaft and a CB super stroke and it’ll fit your needs. They’ll build it for you 

they also have blades near 400. I have one (ptm4) with a cb grip I’m looking to sell cheap if interested 

Driver: Sim 9*, ventus blue 6R

3 wood: Srixon ZX

Hybrids: Srixon ZX 3H and 4H

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5-GW (5 iron with UST Recoil F3; 6-GW, Nippon 950h reg)

Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52* and 58*, 52* Nippon 950GH, & 58* TT90

Putter: Odyssey Versa 12

Ball: Srixon Zstar

Bag: Sun Mountain 2.5

I recently switched to an Odyssey TEN and love it.  It has adjustable weights so you can customize to your liking. I tried the ELEVEN model but the feel and balance of this one worked better for me.  

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

On 3/19/2021 at 4:57 PM, yungkory said:

FORUM TESTING STARTING OFF WITH A BANGER!

19 hours ago, Eat My Divots said:

Check out Edel, mine is heavier like you prefer and the toe up balance feels very forgiving. I also have a Seemore face balanced putter, they have awesome customer service so you may want to reach out to them.  

XXIO Eleven 9.0 Driver 18 5W 23 and 26H

Mizuno JPX923HL(A) 7-W

PXG 50,54,38W

Bettinardi BB6 face balance new to replace Edel with Seemore as a change up

I'm using a Cobra Vintage Nova at the present time.  It's got two weight ports and kits are available to allow you to customize it.  It's face balanced as well.  Good luck, you've been given a lot of really good suggestions thus far.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

19 hours ago, Jwood said:

My Sub70 is currently in transit. I ordered the 004 Mallet. 

I bought the same putter last year and my confidence has improved and 3 putts have almost disappeared. Using the 10 gram weights now is yours double or single bend shaft? I'm still tinkering with the grip that feels the best. Currently using Garsen Quad Tour and just ordered a 2 Thumb. 

Driver-Sub70 849D

3 wood-Sub70 939X

5 wood-Callaway Rogue

4 hybrid-Tour Edge EXS 220

irons-Sub70 699 V2 irons

wedges-Sub70 JB wedges, 50, 54, 58

putter-Sub 70 FN 001 with Evenroll Gravity Grip

Ball-OnCore Elixir

The pxg gun boat is at out slightly above 400g. Also has a weight kit available. Not sure if face balanced.

Driver:   :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX LS, 10.5, stiff

:taylormade-small: BRNR MiniDriver, S-Flex

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Rouge ST MAX 3 wood, stiff

Fairway:  :callaway-logo-1:Rouge ST MAX 3 hybrid, S-flex

Irons:   New Level 902 OS, 5-PW, S-Flex

Wedges: :taylormade-small: hi-toe 50, 54, 58,  DG S300 S-flex

Putter:  :EVNROLL: Zero

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star

Grips:  Golf Pride Z Grip midsize

On 5/17/2022 at 8:29 PM, Eat My Divots said:

They are not.  I've never liked light putters; it seemed that I could never put a smooth, straight stroke going back.  On one of my trips to Phoenix, I got fitted at Ping HQ; ended up with the Ping Sigma G Doon... face-balanced and counterbalanced.  The shortest length in that model was 35" so I had Ping build one to 34", which puts a lot of the counterbalance weight above my hands.  I also had to have the lie angle adjusted to 71º.  I love that putter and don't even look at putters anymore when I go to a golf shop.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 5/18/2022 at 2:24 PM, Jwood said:

My Sub70 is currently in transit. I ordered the 004 Mallet. 

I just ordered the Sub70 003 Mallet with the double bend shaft and having a Kotahi grip installed. Taking a gamble with all of this, but I'm optimistic that it will be a good setup for me.

BTW, the customer service at Sub70 is top notch, a real pleasure to work with them!

I'm a fan of the heavier putters too.  Don't be afraid to go the weight kit route.  And for counterbalancing, the gravity grip is awesome.  It's on the very heavy side but the shape of the grip is great for limiting wrist action and might be nice if you go extra heavy on the putter head itself.  

I wouldn't pigeon-hole yourself into face-balance vs toe-hang though maybe keep the hang limited to 15-30.  

Enjoy the tinkering!

Oh yeah, don't forget lead tape is an option too.  

Epic Flash 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with X-stiff hzrdus yellow

Epic Flash 3W with stiff Tensei Blue.

Apex 19 3 hybrid with catalyst 6.0

Apex 19 4 hybrid with TT tour elevate stiff steel (my favorite creation) 

Apex Pro irons 5-PW with TT tour elevate stiff steel

Jaws MD5 50 S grind S200

Jaws MD5 54 W grind tour elevate stiff (great for the soft Missouri turf; this is my dart throwing club)

PM Grind 60 KBS tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2022 (Went through SAM lab fitting and this nailed it; replaced the O-Works Jailbird-mini red)

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

There is about to be one heck of a MGS test showcasing the L.A.B. Putters, like usual I expect all of the testers to be honest and give a real world look into how they perform… keep an eye out for it before you make a final decision. 😉

I recently picked up a Directed Force 2.1 (Friday night post-bourbon online purchase).  Yes, it is really big, yes, it takes a minute to get used to the press grip and shaft behind the face, but the damn thing nearly putts itself.  Putts under 10 feet seem almost automatic - I've made more this year than all of last year with my Odyssey No. 1 stroke lab.  I'm still toying around with the set up, and getting long distance putts down, but the tech is the real deal and I would encourage anyone to check them out.  Looking forward to seeing the testers comments.

I would recommend de LAB DF 2.1. I have a large collection of putters that I still keep, from a classic Tommy Armour, Original Ping Answer, Ping Zing2, Ray Cook Mallet, Stotty Cameron Original Futura, Odyssey 7 Tank. All great but the DF 2.1 is really outstanding!!! Is a bit ugly but gets beautifull once you start holing them from anywhere.

ALEGOLF

a surprise that you may not hear about is the Makefield Putter, A center shaft or heel mounted model. Both putt very well

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

As u see there are a lot of face balanced putters.  David Musty in the LA area makes custom high quality wood putters.  Including mallets that are face balanced, I use one.  I also used a Scotty Cameron Futura X with the swoopy x shape and counterweights at the rear, far from the face.

I suggest trying, and it takes time and effort:

1.  Putt cross handed.  Put your index finger on the shaft below the grip, it provides a good feel guide to keep the putter swing straight.

2.  Look at the hole on putts longer than say 6 or 7 feet.  It takes practice to not ground the club early, but it is worth the effort.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I have a Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c, as in center shafted. I put on a SuperStroke 2.0 with the counterbalanced weight, which is 25 grams. I had played with a Carbite ZH for 20 years, which was "polar balanced", which was really a good putter. I am 5'8" tall, so I cut both of my putters to 29", from 33". I like to get over the ball, and I found by practice, that the lower on the shaft I placed my hands, the more accurate I was. If you care to shorten your putter, you will find that the head will "feel" heavier after you cut it. Never had a center shafted putter, but I really like it. Getting better with the speed, and I am making a lot more 3' to 6' putts. 6' to 12' putts are really a lot closer to the cup. Center shafted putters are naturally face balanced, but hitting on the sweet spot(shaft area), its going to give you instant feedback on your putt. My .02...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

One word..."Armlock".  Or is that two words?

Driver: Cobra:cobra-small: LTDx LS 10.5*   Hzrdus Red 60 6.5

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5   Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5

7 Wood: PXG 0211   Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock