Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ball OOB Ruling

Preface: I am constantly confused by the rules around OOB, I think partially because a lot of non-competitive play treats it pretty fast and loose.

In this clip from Good Good on YouTube, one of the players (Grant) is talking to the camera saying his ball crossed in "right around here" and he's taking a drop. But where he is doesn't appear to be a hazard; there's no stakes, there's no water. It appears to be just out of bounds.

It was my understanding (and I could be completely wrong) that you don't get a drop for hitting out of bounds. Here he would have to hit another shot from his original ball and take a one stroke penalty. Is that correct?

Driver:   :cobra-small: RadSpeed 9°
Fairway: :ping-small: G410 14.5°
Irons:     :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Forged
Wedges: :vokey-small: SM7 50°/54°/58°
Putter:    :ping-small: Redwood Anser

1 hour ago, smohan215 said:

Preface: I am constantly confused by the rules around OOB, I think partially because a lot of non-competitive play treats it pretty fast and loose.

In this clip from Good Good on YouTube, one of the players (Grant) is talking to the camera saying his ball crossed in "right around here" and he's taking a drop. But where he is doesn't appear to be a hazard; there's no stakes, there's no water. It appears to be just out of bounds.

It was my understanding (and I could be completely wrong) that you don't get a drop for hitting out of bounds. Here he would have to hit another shot from his original ball and take a one stroke penalty. Is that correct?

He is probably using Modal Local Rule E-5, which allows an additional relief option for OB and lost balls.  Either that, or that junk actually is a Penalty Area.  I haven't looked at the entire thing.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I'd be backing this is a penalty area rather than the E5 option for OB; unless the players messed up the rules. Although you can't see much in the video to see if it's marked as such.

He says, "Up and down for par", and records a 6 after two putts, which if he took the two penalty strokes from E5, doesn't add up.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

Not enough information to say what type of area is. There could be a red stake out of view of the camera behind them. There could be something on the score card that has a local rule that says that area around the course is treated as red stake penalty areas. Theres a course back home I play once in awhile that has lots of fescue. The scorecard states all fescue areas are lateral hazard, but none of its staked

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Something I'd always suggest, don't take rules advice from random internet "celebrities".  There are folks in MGS who know the rules pretty well, there are some good Facebook groups (including one moderated by the USGA), and as a last resort, the actual rules are available online.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

It's amazing how much money these internet guys are making. He just cut his parents a check for a 100 grand. 👏

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 3 months later...
On 5/18/2022 at 8:05 PM, DaveP043 said:

Something I'd always suggest, don't take rules advice from random internet "celebrities".  There are folks in MGS who know the rules pretty well, there are some good Facebook groups (including one moderated by the USGA), and as a last resort, the actual rules are available online.

Hi @DaveP043, I think the author read our old forum debates and wrote this up. He seems to summarize the differing arguments well:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/lost-balls-out-of-bounds-stroke-and-distance-punishment-in-golf

43 minutes ago, LICC said:

Hi @DaveP043, I think the author read our old forum debates and wrote this up. He seems to summarize the differing arguments well:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/lost-balls-out-of-bounds-stroke-and-distance-punishment-in-golf

I read that just a little while ago and immediately thought, "is this LICC?" lol. I jest, but it did give me some insight into where you were coming from on the topic. What did you think about his conclusion? Agree or disagree?

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

2 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I read that just a little while ago and immediately thought, "is this LICC?" lol. I jest, but it did give me some insight into where you were coming from on the topic. What did you think about his conclusion? Agree or disagree?

Ha! No it is not me but when he said he spoke to someone named Dave who explained the history of the rule it really felt uncanny. 

I am still on the side of treating OB the same as a lateral hazard, with only a one-stroke penalty.