TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best insert/insole in shoe for waking?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you have a recommendation for a insert or insole in a golf shoe for walking 18 holes? I enjoy walking and am looking for something that gives a little more cushion but doesn’t get in the way or is bulky. Any ideas? Hope it doesn’t break the bank as well. 

In my bag:

Driver:  :Hogan: Ben Hogan GS53 10.5* Stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue Stiff

3 Wood: :Sub70: 939 x 15 deg. UST Proforce Black V2 7F4 stiff

Hybrid:  :Sub70: 939x Hybrid UST 680 recoil shaft stiff

Irons: :Sub70: 699 irons 4-PW  KBS tour 90 v Stiff 

50 Deg:Sub70: TAIII Satin

54 deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

58 Deg: :Sub70: TAIII Satin

Putter:Sub70: 004 Single Bend Masters Edition

Rangefinder: :CaddyTek: Caddytek V2

Check out my MyGolfSpy 2020 Forum Official Tester: Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

I have the Spenco Love Your Feet Medium Arch insert and my feet love them.  They run anywhere from $49 to $99 dollars but they are durable and they give great support.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

Dicks sports has an ok selection of inserts. I use them when the inserts of my shoes wear out. Trial and error to see what works best. I officiate HS sports and I can get a season maybe two from one pair. 

Another option is Pine Valley Orthotics. I think they are like $100 but they lasted a long time. 2 seasons of football, lacrosse and golf.  I accidently threw them out with a pair of shoes while spring cleaning a few years ago and just haven't go back to them. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

I walk almost all the time and don't use inserts. Are you sure you need inserts or just need better golf shoes? Just wondering.....

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Have a minor foot condition that will take years to heal properly, walk golf courses using Superfeet inserts in spike less golf shoes.  Key is to raise your heel up.  They are at REI and also can be ordered online.     

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

I have somewhat flat and pronated get and always use some type of supportive insole in all my shoes and sneakers. For golf I really like...

Currex Walk sole, about $50

I also like their Run sole for my workout sneakers.

FYI there are types in each shoe size to fit for low - medium - high arch support.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I walk golf and otherwise as often as possible and I had a bout of plantar fasciitis a couple years ago so I don't screw around anymore. All my golf and exercise walking shoes have PowerStep insoles, specifically the Pinnacle and Pulse models. They make a world of difference so I don't mind paying $25 to $50 a pair. By all reports, Superfeet insoles are just as good at about the same prices - I just haven't tried them as PowerStep works for me.

I'll never bother with cheapo Dr Scholl's or other drugstore insoles again, life's too short.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys
On 5/20/2022 at 8:59 PM, GaDawg said:

I walk almost all the time and don't use inserts. Are you sure you need inserts or just need better golf shoes? Just wondering.....

GaDawg - that was an interesting point.  In my experience, I love FootJoys, but still deal with plantar fasciitis on and off for the past 20 years.  For me, plantar comes down to having a really high arch (born with it), my weight (I can help that), and how well I’m stretched out (I can help that).  If my calves and ham-strings are loose and I’m in decent shape, then I’m usually fine.  However, having a high arch makes it so that I need extra support factory shoe insoles won’t provide.

The fact that you walk all the time is awesome, and probably leads to 2 of the 3 factors I listed being a non-issue for you.  Ultimately, I’ve gone to a Podiatrist, and taking their advice is ultimately the way to go.  Thanks for the though-provoking point, and Go Dawgs!!!

WITB - Callaway Epic driver, Nike 3 wood Vapor, Cobra single length 4-6, Cobra 7-Gap standard length, and my latest putter to fix all my issues. 

On 5/18/2022 at 10:57 PM, cciciora13 said:

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you have a recommendation for a insert or insole in a golf shoe for walking 18 holes? I enjoy walking and am looking for something that gives a little more cushion but doesn’t get in the way or is bulky. Any ideas? Hope it doesn’t break the bank as well. 

I’ve recently tried Aertrex.  They have a good arch support and memory foam (L-2200 model) as I enjoy the significant cushion.  The L2200 is kind of bulky, but they have others.  I had to go with the L400 in my tennis sneakers.  They have less cushion, but are still comfortable plus occupy less volume.

Over the years though, I gotten good results from SofSole and SuperFeet insoles.  SuperFeet work well, but I find I have to replace them more often.  Hope that helps!

WITB - Callaway Epic driver, Nike 3 wood Vapor, Cobra single length 4-6, Cobra 7-Gap standard length, and my latest putter to fix all my issues. 

2 hours ago, TDubbGolferGuy said:

GaDawg - that was an interesting point.  In my experience, I love FootJoys, but still deal with plantar fasciitis on and off for the past 20 years.  For me, plantar comes down to having a really high arch (born with it), my weight (I can help that), and how well I’m stretched out (I can help that).  If my calves and ham-strings are loose and I’m in decent shape, then I’m usually fine.  However, having a high arch makes it so that I need extra support factory shoe insoles won’t provide.

The fact that you walk all the time is awesome, and probably leads to 2 of the 3 factors I listed being a non-issue for you.  Ultimately, I’ve gone to a Podiatrist, and taking their advice is ultimately the way to go.  Thanks for the though-provoking point, and Go Dawgs!!!

Hopefully I did not come across as a smart azz, that was not my intent. That plantar fasciitis can be painful. I hope it gets better for you!

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

22 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Hopefully I did not come across as a smart azz, that was not my intent. That plantar fasciitis can be painful. I hope it gets better for you!

By no means did I think your post was sarcastic, I took it as an honest question.  At this point in my life, a sore heel is a reminder to me that I’m not taking care of myself…and good on you for walking!  Thanks for the well-wishes.

On 5/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, Middler said:

I walk golf and otherwise as often as possible and I had a bout of plantar fasciitis a couple years ago so I don't screw around anymore. All my golf and exercise walking shoes have PowerStep insoles, specifically the Pinnacle and Pulse models. They make a world of difference so I don't mind paying $25 to $50 a pair. By all reports, Superfeet insoles are just as good at about the same prices - I just haven't tried them as PowerStep works for me.

I'll never bother with cheapo Dr Scholl's or other drugstore insoles again, life's too short.

I’ve also been using the PowerStep insoles for several years with no complaints. They make a world of difference for me for walking 18 or even 36. They also made it possible for me to go out for a run here and there without arch or knee pain. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

• 1 month later...

I’ve had problems with my feet my whole adult life. They would hurt after standing for too long throughout the day which would turn into lower back problems. Most days would end with my feet in pain and a hurting back. 4 years ago I met and became friends with a podiatrist. I shared my feet problems with him and he wanted to take a look at my barefooted walking gait.  After 5-10 steps and an evaluation of my feet he recommended custom orthotics because of my high arch and gait.  He explained that my high arches would collapse throughout the day because of the lack of support and then it would cause me to throw my hips forward to compensate for my collapsed arches which would throw my lower back out of alignment and came back problems. He took a casting of my foot and send off for custom orthotics. The result have literally been life changing. No more foot pain because my feet and arches are properly supported and no more back pain. I have half orthotics that fit in slimmer shoes that the original insole can’t be removed and full orthotics that have a cushion insole applied on top of them for shoes that the original insole is removable. 

For years I tried every cushion Insert insole on the market and had limited comfort and no long term solutions to my actual problem. I highly recommend meeting with a podiatrist and get custom orthotics made for your feet. 

On a side note - I walk virtually every round twice a week and I just purchased the PROADAPT ALPHACAT DISC GOLF SHOES and they are great, super comfortable and the disc closure system makes it so there are no pressure points as with traditional laces. I highly recommend them. 

https://www.cobragolf.com/pumagolf/proadapt-alphacat-disc-golf-shoes?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5rST4LiB-QIVdG5vBB1Amwe0EAQYBiABEgL-tfD_BwE

Edited by ONLYHITBOMBS

Back in the game after a 15 year hiatus and loving every minute of it. 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, Middler said:

I walk golf and otherwise as often as possible and I had a bout of plantar fasciitis a couple years ago so I don't screw around anymore.

I too, had a bout of plantars. Very painful, as I am a local truck driver, in and out of tractor, up and down dock ladders, or stairs. I bought a pair of Dr. Scholls. They work well for me with my high arches. I now have them in every pair of shoes I own, including my new Footjoy Originals. At 65, I only walk 9 holes, if the course is not busy, and if I play 18, I'm riding. I feel in balance in my swing with these. In my work shoes, which are steel toed, and heavy, my feet are great all day! My knees don't ache near the end of the day at work anymore, since Dr. Scholls. I guess they just work for my feet. Can't say I ever tried the brands you mentioned, but for me, Dr. Scholls are great!

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c