TESTERS WANTED! ×

Most recent discontinued models of non composite all Titanium drivers

I tend to destroy composite crown drivers due to ball strikes that eventually crack the crown. The crown on my Callaway Rogue Sub Zero cracked loose after about 2 months last year. I glued it back with some 5800 psi rated epoxy and it is holding, but at my age, pushing 70, I don't see the crown strikes going away, so I am considering going with a used, titanium crown driver this year.  I tried a friends Tailormade Supertri R9 and hit it as well as the Rogue, so I am confident that would work for me and plan to snag one off ebay but am interested in trying something else as well. 

What I am hoping is that some of you folks who really know the various brands and models could give me some suggestions on what to look for in an all titanium driver with an adjustable hosel, that would perform as well as the R9 and won't cost more than $100 used. I have three different Callaway shafts, and like how their adjustments work, so that might be a good option as well as an R9 which I know I would like. Any other brands / models to look at? 

Thanks in advance!

I'm a bit confused here - are you saying that you're making direct ball contact with the crown/top of your driver, not the face, and that's leading to the damage?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

The ball is hitting the very top edge of the face and making contact with the non metal portion of the crown. I tee the ball pretty high to get the results I need with my flawed swing and if the club goes too low in the swing the crown strike happens. Actually a pretty common occurrence from what I have seen looking at other peoples drivers, evidenced by the ball strike marks on the crown. My son in law who has an excellent swing, has zero marks on the crown of his driver. 

Of course fixing the swing would be the way to go, but for now I need that tall tee position. My older, solid titanium heads have held up really well with many crown strikes. It is just the glued on carbon fiber crowns that break. 

21 minutes ago, Geezerhood said:

Of course fixing the swing would be the way to go, but for now I need that tall tee position. My older, solid titanium heads have held up really well with many crown strikes. It is just the glued on carbon fiber crowns that break. 

Yep. This would cost far less and be much more beneficial than buying a new-to-you much older driver when this happens.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Have you tried to tee it ever so slightly lower as to not strike the crown? 

Second, have you had any lessons? You say you have a flawed swing, it may help you improve your strike and save you money from buying and then fixing drivers

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

Thanks for the advice on lessons, but for now I am just looking to find a solid titanium driver head, preferably from Callaway with an adjustable hosel that is at least equal to the Taylormade R9 and priced on ebay between $50 and $100. 

Edited by Geezerhood

Thanks storm319 !  I will see what I can find in a used head.

-----------------------

After quite a bit of searching I still have not determined 100% if the crown of the R9 is made of titanium or of carbon fiber. I know I will do well with the R9, but don't want it if the crown is carbon fiber. I am assuming it is not carbon since there is no mention of it in any reviews or specs I have found so far. One would think they would be touting the carbon if it was. I am also interested in knowing all the Taylormade produced drivers with all titanium construction and their adjustable hosel setup if someone knows that info. 

Edited by Geezerhood

... If you are going to hit off the crown your best bet is a cup faced driver like the Cobra Speedzone or many Tour Edge drivers. Almost impossible to do any damage other than cosmetic with a cup face. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Thanks for that tip chisag !  I have a Tour Edge lefty that I did well with when I was trying to decide if I wanted to drive left handed for a while. Indeed it was never damaged other than scuff marks, by hitting the top.  ( I am ambidextrous ). 

After some more reading today, I am leaning towards the R9 Supertri to replace this Callaway Rogue, as it seems to offer the most available adjustment to the right, fairly "forgiving", plus the cost is quite low - under $70 to $90 for a serviceable club, and I know I can hit it well. I tend to hit left most of the time when I golf right handed - even more left when I don't do well with my swing, and the Callaway has no adjustment to the right. The Supertri has quite a bit of right adjustment, but you lose loft. So - I am thinking an R9 Supertri with 11.5 factory loft or even more, though I have only seen 11.5 as the highest, would give me the most tuning to the right without ending up with too low of a loft.  If I end up liking it, I might get one in better condition and give the more battle worn driver to my grandson with the shaft shortened to fit him. 

7 hours ago, Geezerhood said:

Thanks storm319 !  I will see what I can find in a used head.

-----------------------

After quite a bit of searching I still have not determined 100% if the crown of the R9 is made of titanium or of carbon fiber. I know I will do well with the R9, but don't want it if the crown is carbon fiber. I am assuming it is not carbon since there is no mention of it in any reviews or specs I have found so far. One would think they would be touting the carbon if it was. I am also interested in knowing all the Taylormade produced drivers with all titanium construction and their adjustable hosel setup if someone knows that info. 

Yes, the TM R9 Supertri 100% titanium. Basically all TM driver heads prior to the 2016 M1/M2 were all metal. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Get a strong 3 wood or mini driver and tee it lower.

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

On 5/21/2022 at 3:57 PM, Geezerhood said:

Thanks for that tip chisag !  I have a Tour Edge lefty that I did well with when I was trying to decide if I wanted to drive left handed for a while. Indeed it was never damaged other than scuff marks, by hitting the top.  ( I am ambidextrous ). 

After some more reading today, I am leaning towards the R9 Supertri to replace this Callaway Rogue, as it seems to offer the most available adjustment to the right, fairly "forgiving", plus the cost is quite low - under $70 to $90 for a serviceable club, and I know I can hit it well. I tend to hit left most of the time when I golf right handed - even more left when I don't do well with my swing, and the Callaway has no adjustment to the right. The Supertri has quite a bit of right adjustment, but you lose loft. So - I am thinking an R9 Supertri with 11.5 factory loft or even more, though I have only seen 11.5 as the highest, would give me the most tuning to the right without ending up with too low of a loft.  If I end up liking it, I might get one in better condition and give the more battle worn driver to my grandson with the shaft shortened to fit him. 

You aren't just changing the loft though, you are also changing the lie angle so that could have an effect on your swing as well so keep that in mind.  

Kudos to your friend though, if I had a buddy who was breaking clubs because he skies the ball too often, I wouldn't let him anywhere near my driver ! 🤣

20 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

You aren't just changing the loft though, you are also changing the lie angle so that could have an effect on your swing as well so keep that in mind.  

Kudos to your friend though, if I had a buddy who was breaking clubs because he skies the ball too often, I wouldn't let him anywhere near my driver ! 🤣

Understood. The R9 appeals to me because it allows for path direction changes to the right, which the Rogue does not. Yea, he is a good friend. He was given the R9 by a relative who used it for several years before, so he has zero $ invested in it which is why he lets the geezer hit it a bit. 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:46 PM, PBH3 said:

Get a strong 3 wood or mini driver and tee it lower.

I do have an older 3 wood (titanium face) that I do well with off low tees, but I tend to lose quite a bit of distance vs the Rogue. I have an old Loco solid titanium head driver that has had several crown strikes over the last year that I have owned it and probably dozens before I got it, with no damage at all other than some scuffs in the paint. It was pretty ugly already when I bought it last spring for a whopping $15, so no big deal. I can hit my friends R9 better and further than the Loco or the Rogue, thus the desire to have my own. 

It will be interesting to see how the R9 works. I found some good buys on used R15s, but some of my reading seems to indicate that the R9 might be the more forgiving of the two. One nice thing about buying older models is that there isn't much money involved so I can try various stuff to see what works for me. At my age with my propensity to crown strikes and a fairly slow swing speed, I doubt I will ever consider a carbon fiber crowned driver again unless it is a hand me down like the Roque was. 

Regardless of which driver you end up with it will be interesting to hear about the results between then. I would imagine the older R9 model to be much less forgiving. Even if strikes are somewhat all over the face. 

I'm with @chisag in looking at the cobra driver which has the wrap face. Benefits of newer tech with a larger face area you could hit. As well just have to echo what a few others have mentioned teeing a bit lower can't hurt either. 

Good luck with your search and hope you find the club that's best for you,!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 5/21/2022 at 8:30 AM, storm319 said:

Callaway all titanium options with the optifit hosel:

X2 Hot/Pro

XR/Pro

XR16/Pro/Sub Zero

That XR Pro is one under rated driver if you ask me. If I find one on a discount rack somewhere at a good price I plan to buy it and build it. The XR16 is one hot head too. Actually all 3 are pretty hot heads

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G