Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Grip advice?

A place I got some of my clubs fitted at offered to regroup my irons for free if I order the grips myself. Despite my best effort, I messed up ordering replacements. I somehow manage to order mid size grips. Now the regular grips are on back order. I looked at the recommended measurements and my hands fit the mid size, but I am still skeptical of something new. What are the pros and cons of a midsize grip?

Really not many cons that I can think of, I moved to midsize a few years back and the clubs just felt more comfortable to me. Also feels like I don't need as firm a grip, which frees up tension in my wrists and forearms. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I’ve gone skinnier with my last set of grips: I find it easier to close the face than with midsize grips. Hard to say how much influence the grips vs swing changes have had, but my anecdotal evidence is that I fade less with skinnier grips.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

9 hours ago, Riverboat said:

A thinner grip should encourage active hands, so that makes sense. I like the thicker grips because I can use a lighter grip pressure. Plus, since I fight a hook, being less handsy helps me.

Just to present the opposite side - I wear a medium glove and have gone to undersize grips this year. Now, with larger butt diameter graphite shafts they turn out close to the old "standard" at .900.

I never felt like I could grip the club securely enough with larger grips which lead to tension. The smaller grips fit my hands better and just feel better.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Oddly, grip size never came up during my two fitting sessions at two different fitters.  If memory serves they just asked what size I'm playing or looked at my current grips.  It wasn't until at a Srixon Demo that the fitter noticed my grip/finger wrap and asked why I play standard size. He switched me to a midsize and showed me the difference; that is that my finger wrap was more "correct" to what's considered optimum on the midsize.  His feeling was that playing an undersized grip tends to result in excessive grip pressure. They did feel good and I didn't really notice any gain or loss is hitting performance, so I chose the GP Align mid-size on the new set of ZX5's. 

Now, when I grip a standard size, it definitely feels small. Depending on glove mfg., I wear a M/L or L, which, by most fit charts has me squarely on the fence between standard and mid-size.  This is the same issue with most swing-speed and carry distance charts as it relates to shaft flex. It makes choosing the best one a challenge and pretty much dictates that I need to test both options to ferret out whatever subtle differences there are.

Most pro shops have "grip display stands" (stub shafts with grips installed) and even demo clubs with standard and midsize grips -- you would be wise to try each and see how they feel.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

20 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Really not many cons that I can think of, I moved to midsize a few years back and the clubs just felt more comfortable to me. Also feels like I don't need as firm a grip, which frees up tension in my wrists and forearms. 

+1. I moved from standard with extra wraps to midsize a couple years ago, and I will never go back - wish I'd done it long ago. I wear a standard large glove. They feel a lot better, and standard grips feel very strange now. OP: Grips are relatively cheap and easy to replace, I'd try them out since you measure in the range for them. Just feeling them in a store for a few seconds isn't a valid test, you have to play with them for a while to decide which is more comfortable. You might be pleasantly surprised like me and a few others here...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Grip size is definitely a personal preference item IMO no matter which grip size a person uses. For reference, I wear an XL glove and am using midsize grips with no extra wraps. I decided to give the midsize a try after I felt that my left index finger and right pinky were pinched while interlocking the grip. I had a midsize installed on a 55° wedge and played a few rounds with it in order to give the grip a fair shakedown. After that I had all of my clubs switched over and was pleased that the little adjustment was much more comfortable. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

There's no one size fits all here answer. Grips are very personal. Alot of it is based on your hand size. Some if it is based on the action on the ball where someone who battles the left miss might like a larger grip. Theres many, many, valid reasons why one player might prefer a smaller or larger grip.

That being said, in my opinion, the explosion in midsize offerings is because a decent percentage of people grip the club incorrectly and a larger grip feels more comfortable and natural. For someone that runs the grip more through the palm of the hands and less through the fingers a standard grips feels too small. A larger grip is easier to hold with less pressure and feels better. I'd rather see the root of the problem addressed and the grip fixed, but if you are going to hold the club that way you probably do play better with midsize or +4 grips. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

6 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

There's no one size fits all here answer. Grips are very personal. Alot of it is based on your hand size. Some if it is based on the action on the ball where someone who battles the left miss might like a larger grip. Theres many, many, valid reasons why one player might prefer a smaller or larger grip.

That being said, in my opinion, the explosion in midsize offerings is because a decent percentage of people grip the club incorrectly and a larger grip feels more comfortable and natural. For someone that runs the grip more through the palm of the hands and less through the fingers a standard grips feels too small. A larger grip is easier to hold with less pressure and feels better. I'd rather see the root of the problem addressed and the grip fixed, but if you are going to hold the club that way you probably do play better with midsize or +4 grips. 

Agree 100%: once I fixed my grip, my old midsize grips (+2 wraps) felt ridiculous. 

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

3 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Correctly? Or do you mean traditionally? Or maybe even old fashioned? Many great players and even teachers today would disagree with your assessment of what constitutes a "correct grip" (Bryson DeChambeau comes immediately to mind). They would tell you that having it a little more in the palms (or a lot more in Bryson's case) gives a little more control at high speeds and keeps the face more effortlessly square throughout the swing. Not saying your way is incorrect, just that your assertion of only one correct way is flawed. There's more than one way to play this game effectively.

As I said, grips are very personal. I do not believe their is a singular correct grip, as so much has do with swing matchups, hand size, comfort, swing intentions, etc. Ultimately, the correct grip is the one that helps you play your best golf. Then its no surprise that you will always find good players that are outliers like Bryson or a 10 finger player like Tommy Gainey. You are right that there is more than one way to play this game effectively. Thats exactly what I alluded to in the paragraph that you did not quote. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

Went to GolfPride midsize grips on all my clubs many years ago, including their putter grips in the most recent years.  I wear Large FJ/Titleist gloves and like them tight (1/4 rule when buying new ones) due to big hands and the midsize feel natural.   

That baseball grip that Tommy Two Gloves uses is a powerful swing.  He would stand on our driving range and hit drives on our number one green with a high degree of accuracy.  He could hit long straight drives.  Too bad he did not have better luck on the tour.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

On 5/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, Bobby Centlivre said:

A place I got some of my clubs fitted at offered to regroup my irons for free if I order the grips myself. Despite my best effort, I messed up ordering replacements. I somehow manage to order mid size grips. Now the regular grips are on back order. I looked at the recommended measurements and my hands fit the mid size, but I am still skeptical of something new. What are the pros and cons of a midsize grip?

I wear a medium cadet size glove, I like oversize grips because I have arthritis in my hands and can hold onto the club better but even before I always liked 1 extra wrap on the lower hand.

wear a medium cadet size glove, I like oversize grips because I have arthritis in my hands and can hold onto the club better but even before I always liked 1 extra wrap on the lower hand.

On 5/20/2022 at 5:02 PM, Micah T said:

I’ve gone skinnier with my last set of grips: I find it easier to close the face than with midsize grips. Hard to say how much influence the grips vs swing changes have had, but my anecdotal evidence is that I fade less with skinnier grips.

and what you stated is the plus. Thicker grips "minimize" hand action

1 hour ago, Golfnut0226 said:

I wear a medium cadet size glove, I like oversize grips because I have arthritis in my hands and can hold onto the club better but even before I always liked 1 extra wrap on the lower hand.

wear a medium cadet size glove, I like oversize grips because I have arthritis in my hands and can hold onto the club better but even before I always liked 1 extra wrap on the lower hand.

I have this issue - I use two extra wraps, do you find that midsize really helps the arthritis pain?  

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I use oversize Lamkin Crossline grips on every club except driver, which I use a midsize, and have a SuperStroke 2.0 slim CB on my putter. Arthritis in my hands is one reason, the other reason for the oversize grips is less grip pressure, and then my forearms aren't aching after 9 holes, so much so that I could not play the back 9. I wear a medium glove, sometimes a med-large. Depends on manufacturer of the glove. 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

One thing not mentioned on this thread yet is the difference in grip weights between standard and midsize. Midsize grips are naturally heavier and can result in knocking down the swing weights on clubs a little as you're putting more weight in the grip. I think this is largely irrelevant on the whole but it is worth noting, especially if you think some of your clubs heads already feel a little light in the swing. You can always put lead tape on the head to change the swing weight but it's not hard to add 20 to 30 grams of total club weight between a midsize grip and lead tape. If weight is a concern, I would recommending paying attention to the grip weights if changing to midsize. You may need to switch to a lighter grip like a Winn if grip and swing weights are a concern when switching to midsize. 

On 5/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, revkev said:

I have this issue - I use two extra wraps, do you find that midsize really helps the arthritis pain?  

some of my clubs I put just 1 extra wrap under the lower hand becuase that is the one I lose grip with. I do notice I have no where near the pain when I am done or when swinging the club. Another consdieration is graphite shafts in your irons to help absorb the impact shock

I really don't think about swing weight too much. Ping g410 SFT driver came with 12 gram weight. I now have 20 gram, plus stick on weights of about 6 grams. My swing is inconsistent, so I need maximum draw from my driver. I stay in the fairway for the most part. 65 gram shaft, midsize grip, but, thinking of putting on a CB grip. 80 mph swing speed, 65 years old. 

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

My club has a lot of girth so I need big grips….oh you were not talking about that 🤪.

it’s all about feel.  It doesn’t hurt to try out one or two clubs.  Then make the decision.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2022 at 10:44 AM, Kansas King said:

One thing not mentioned on this thread yet is the difference in grip weights between standard and midsize. Midsize grips are naturally heavier and can result in knocking down the swing weights on clubs a little as you're putting more weight in the grip. I think this is largely irrelevant on the whole but it is worth noting, especially if you think some of your clubs heads already feel a little light in the swing. You can always put lead tape on the head to change the swing weight but it's not hard to add 20 to 30 grams of total club weight between a midsize grip and lead tape. If weight is a concern, I would recommending paying attention to the grip weights if changing to midsize. You may need to switch to a lighter grip like a Winn if grip and swing weights are a concern when switching to midsize. 

I went to my fitter and had a conversation about this topic. He has been doing my club repair work for more than 10 years. 

He did not like the idea of me moving into a mid sized grip because of the reduced swing weight they would bring. Instead he recommended Winn Dry tech LTs with my customary 2 extra wraps. I trust him, most especially his knowledge of my game. So that’s what I’ve gone with. 

Have hit sone into the net with them. Will hit the range tomorrow and report back. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 5/25/2022 at 8:33 PM, revkev said:

I don't have arthritis but do wear a XL glove. After experimenting with not only standard/midsize but also different # of wraps I 'm sticking with midsize/3 wraps - which helps me from over tensioning my grip. What may be pertinent to your situation; my wife has arthritis in her hands, wears a 'small' glove size and asked to try my grip. End result:- her ideal combo is midsize with 2 wraps (which reduces pain). So obviously very personal vs. following published recommendation. 

Disclaimer: I put the grips on myself so it's easy to experiment. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

I don't have arthritis but do wear a XL glove. After experimenting with not only standard/midsize but also different # of wraps I 'm sticking with midsize/3 wraps - which helps me from over tensioning my grip. What may be pertinent to your situation; my wife has arthritis in her hands, wears a 'small' glove size and asked to try my grip. End result:- her ideal combo is midsize with 2 wraps (which reduces pain). So obviously very personal vs. following published recommendation. 

Disclaimer: I put the grips on myself so it's easy to experiment. 

Yes - this is extremely personal - that's exactly why I threw my hands up and said, "I'm going to the professional who knows my swing and actually me fairly well."  It's nice to have one of those.  If you don't it's great to be able to do it yourself - that way you can do one club for very little cost and give it a try until you get it right.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

My grip installation procedure is certainly not usual.   I start off with 600, or smaller, cores with one layer of 2 inch tape.  The next time I need to install new grips I leave the first wrap on and put on another, new, over the old wrap making it now 2 total wraps under each grip.    And so on, and so on, until a few years and several regrips later I start noticing the grip feeling too big from several wraps so that's when I'll strip all the tape and start over.   I get kinda lazy...

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

On 5/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, Bobby Centlivre said:

The pro of having midsized grips; if that's what the recommended grip for you is, more club stability. Meaning the club will not move around in your hands & be a bit more stable.  Often times with smaller grips the butt of club can actually move and cause your glove to wear out, especially in the palm area. After changing to jumbo/oversized grips some years ago (after a fitting by an LPGA Pro - instructor) noticed the wear pattern changed on my gloves. no more wearing the glove out in the palm area. My grip of preference are the jumbo/oversized. the larger grip also allows for less tension while gripping club.  . I'd try out the midsize grips, especially if installation is free (LOL)!  Good luck!

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0