Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Putter grips...

I’ve been playing oversized putter grips since the hog mallet… I’ve never had much direction problem, I’ve always had speed problems…

Any thoughts on if an oversized grip would help or hurt distance control?

Obviously, I’m planning on putting in the time practicing, but I’m wondering if I’m doing myself a disservice by playing a large grip…

I’m not sure how to test this concept either.

Golf is like a love affair!

7 hours ago, christina42 said:

I’ve been playing oversized putter grips since the hog mallet… I’ve never had much direction problem, I’ve always had speed problems…

Any thoughts on if an oversized grip would help or hurt distance control?

Obviously, I’m planning on putting in the time practicing, but I’m wondering if I’m doing myself a disservice by playing a large grip…

I’m not sure how to test this concept either.

IMO I wouldn't consider grip size as an  influence on distance control unless you made a recent grip switch.  As a described +4 handicap I am not sure what you consider to be speed problems;  even with putting there are dispersion patterns associated with putting so you will hits putts long an short of the hole.   The way to test the concept is to switch putter grip sizes and see how it influences your distance control.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

IMO I wouldn't consider grip size as an  influence on distance control unless you made a recent grip switch.  As a described +4 handicap I am not sure what you consider to be speed problems;  even with putting there are dispersion patterns associated with putting so you will hits putts long an short of the hole.   The way to test the concept is to switch putter grip sizes and see how it influences your distance control.  

+1. Everything I've read suggests optimizing your putter grip is primarily to help you consistently deliver the face squarely at impact, and not much of a factor WRT distance control. Larger putter grips promote still hands & wrists, at the cost of feel, to the extent that affects distance control. Putter grip shape and relative weight also influence consistency in dynamic alignment. I just got fitted for my putter, and the fitter recommended a significant change in my putter grip weight and shape, not so much size. As a result I am measurably better at starting the ball on my intended line - but it hasn't changed my distance control, or green reading ability obviously. Takes all three to be a consistent putter IME.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I tried the larger grips for a long time and when I went back to a normal pistol grip, my distance control improved dramatically. I know in theory that it shouldn't matter but I think it does. I'm not against bigger grips but I think loss of feel and distance control are related. Like all things in golf, there are tradeoffs. If you feel there may be something to gain with a smaller grip, you should try it. If you have a good stroke, I don't think changing to a smaller grip will cause any significant issues. You can always go back to a bigger grip.

• 1 month later...

Ok, the idea behind larger grips for the putter is a more relaxed grip pressure. It will promote a smoother stroke, hence you should have better distance control. There is a learning curve for the larger putter grips. I have SS CB 2.0. Would be uncomfortable to go any larger. So, practice is the order of the day. I know some people have the SS 5.0, and they love it! Way to large for me! Stick with what you like, and feels good, so you can execute your putts. You're the only one that matters when it comes to your game. Don't worry about what everyone thinks, or what they play. I do not play anything, with the exception of my driver, that a pro plays. I bought my driver because it felt good, and I could execute...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c