Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Iron testing

Hey guys. I ve never been fitted for clubs. I plan to this month. I am a 20 handicap but feel that doesn't accurately reflect my iron game, as my short game is garbage etc.. 

Anyway. I can't try a bunch of clubs because of where I live. But I'll have the opportunity to try Calloway, Titleist or Taylor made. But only one, maybe two. Not all of them. I am having a hard time deciding which brand to try, as reviews are full of different opinions. Any thoughts (I'll be getting fitted for irons and a driver)?

4 hours ago, Kingofturtles said:

Anyway. I can't try a bunch of clubs because of where I live. But I'll have the opportunity to try Calloway, Titleist or Taylor made. But only one, maybe two. Not all of them. I am having a hard time deciding which brand to try, as reviews are full of different opinions. Any thoughts (I'll be getting fitted for irons and a driver)?

IMO,  it will depend on the model you ultimately end up with.   I'd order them Titleist, TM, Callaway if I was going a players type club.   For a GI type club,  I'd probably do TM, Titleist, Callaway.   For driver, it would be Callaway, Titleist, TM.   Really nothing wrong with any of them and you would probably be fine with any of them.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Perfect example that basing any golf purchase based off a handicap is not the correct route. We all get our handicaps in different ways.

All the brands you mentioned make good clubs. Unless there is a bias against one brand no need to rule out a brand. Also because of biases asking people on the internet what you should try is going to yield a bunch of different answers based on biases and preferences which may or may not align with yours.

Go to the demo day, let the rep do his/her thing and make sure to be honest with the rep about what you like or don’t like about a clubs looks, sound feel, ball flight and so on.

Let the performance and your preferences determine what to buy. Simple put keep an open mind and find what works best

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1