TESTERS WANTED! ×

Cleveland Launcher XL Driver

ole gray

Longest driver I've ever bagged plus hitting a ton of fairways.   I drove green side three par fours yesterday during our weekly scramble.  From the senior tees however still a good poke for me in the 250 range at 71 years old. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I drove our #14 hole yesterday. A short par four from senior tees over a deep ditch so to reach the green it was all carry.   262 yards and the ball ended up five foot from the hole.  Missed my eagle putt! 😤   This driver is the bomb 💣

Cleveland

• 1 month later...

Well I gave my wife my new Callaway Rogue ST Max driver that I purchased the first of this year. Friday she took it to Macon to have her long time instructor fit her for a shaft.  It was sitting in my closet and although it's an awesome driver, my Cleveland XL Launcher quickly became the top dog in my bag. Her instructor also fit her for a new set of Callaway Apex irons so she will be a Cally girl married to a Cleveland guy...... 😁

Cleveland

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to pick one of these up, and it's now in the bag.

100% agreed on the shaft thoughts in here - I couldn't control it the first few times I tried it out. Pulled the grip off and the counterweight out, lopped an inch off the shaft, reinstalled the weight and a new grip and it's like a totally different club.

I've found that addressing the ball closer to the toe than the center, and slightly moving the ball up from where I've had it in the past, brings out the best in this driver. Yeah the sound isn't the greatest, but I'm hitting reliable baby fades with it so that makes me happy. 

At this point the top end and bottom end of my bag are both Cleveland... just need to swap out those irons 😉

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I was able to pick one of these up, and it's now in the bag.

100% agreed on the shaft thoughts in here - I couldn't control it the first few times I tried it out. Pulled the grip off and the counterweight out, lopped an inch off the shaft, reinstalled the weight and a new grip and it's like a totally different club.

I've found that addressing the ball closer to the toe than the center, and slightly moving the ball up from where I've had it in the past, brings out the best in this driver. Yeah the sound isn't the greatest, but I'm hitting reliable baby fades with it so that makes me happy. 

At this point the top end and bottom end of my bag are both Cleveland... just need to swap out those irons 😉

I tell ya buddy I have enjoyed the heck out of all my Cleveland clubs and this driver is one big bad Dawg! 💣  Yea the irons are awesome too!

Cleveland

6 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I tell ya buddy I have enjoyed the heck out of all my Cleveland clubs and this driver is one big bad Dawg! 💣  Yea the irons are awesome too!

No idea how much longer my season will be up here in MA, could be another month, could be 3 months. But I'll be keeping an eye on the Halo XL irons over the winter for sales/price drops. 

20 hours ago, ole gray said:

Where do you go to try out clubs?  Recently had a dr appt in Watkinsville so stopped by Dick’s.  Was looking at Titliest and Ping irons but the sales guy was discouraging and implied to hit anything I needed to pay for a fitting, and suggested I would like cobra’s better.  No thanks (nothing against cobra, just didn’t appreciate his ‘push’.  Typically stop by pga SS when visiting my daughter in Milton. 

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

1 hour ago, GaryF said:

Where do you go to try out clubs?  Recently had a dr appt in Watkinsville so stopped by Dick’s.  Was looking at Titliest and Ping irons but the sales guy was discouraging and implied to hit anything I needed to pay for a fitting, and suggested I would like cobra’s better.  No thanks (nothing against cobra, just didn’t appreciate his ‘push’.  Typically stop by pga SS when visiting my daughter in Milton. 

There were no Cleveland products to demo.   I bought as is and adjusted the length and added a jumbo grip at home. I cut one inch off the butt end to remove the counter balance weight as it did not work for me.  I have played all my drivers at 44.5 for several years as I hit the center of the face better with the shorter length. 

Cleveland

I tried a few of the new Cleveland Launchers at a demo day a few months ago and I was impressed. If I was looking for a driver at the time I probably would have ordered the Lite version. But I don’t need anything new at the moment.

PXG 0211 12° driver w/Project X Cypher R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC HyWay 21° utilitywood w/Maltby MPF shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Bean putter

• 1 month later...

This didn't last long in the bag. It's now in my son's bag as I just couldn't maintain any consistency with it. One round would be money, the next it would be slice city and lost balls galore. I put my Mavrik Max back in the bag, and my comfort and consistency have shot through the roof.