Jump to content

Electric Car Purchase


Recommended Posts

So I know this is a golfing forum, but I use it for well a lot more than just that with having gotten the chance to know many of you through my role here, previous testing and several other posts/interactions. With that here is the scoop....

Allyssa and I currently have a 2010 BMW 116i. A nice little hatch back car that we purchased for 4700 CHF (about 5200 USD) when we moved here to Switzerland. We had to purchase the car outright because of our visa (L permit, which is a short term year to year) However now that we have been here for 2 years we are eligible for the B permit. This is a long term permit and along with it I have signed a open ended contract with the curling hall here in Baden. 

Because L permits are short term, you cannot lease a car, you cannot get a loan for a car, basically the only way to get a vehicle is as we did. Buy one outright. With a B we are able to get a lease! We intend on staying here long term so a new larger (more family/baby friendly) car is something we want to do. We have test drove several different electric cars (most brands not available in the states), however I wanted to reach out here and see who all has one, what you found some benefits for it, what are some downsides and anything inbetween. 

For reference gas is 2.10 ish a litre so $8 a gallon? About there. In other words very high and getting higher. That being said with our unit we rent the electric is basically free (Landlord pays for electric). Recharging at stations is about .62 per kw. Insurance would double, from about 600 chf to 1100 chf, but that is expected. 

The ones we test drove were all really nice, lots more room, some great deals and values for the prices and are within the budget I would like to keep moving forward. Not to mention the added safety features most all the new ones have. 

Now that I've run through everything, would love to hear from you who have them any and all info that you may find important. Last point of reference is range, it's Switzerland. Not a big country. I'm about 20 minutes to the German border and it's 3 hours all the way down south to Geneva. Charging stations everywhere and any longer journeys are just as easy to take a train or fly. Also in 2030 there is a ban on all new petrol or diesel cars... so maybe now is the time to jump on the electric hype train?

  • Like 7

 ⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won’t buy one until the regulators allow the cars to charge themselves while driving.  The technology is there… I wouldn’t mind the Tesla Plaid, but like I said, until they can charge themselves (which would be amazing) l, imagine driving from New York to San Francisco, or Zurich to Athens without stopping for fuel or to plug in.  If my elementary brain can figure out how to make it work, surely a rocket scientist can/has.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I won’t buy one until the regulators allow the cars to charge themselves while driving.  The technology is there… I wouldn’t mind the Tesla Plaid, but like I said, until they can charge themselves (which would be amazing) l, imagine driving from New York to San Francisco, or Zurich to Athens without stopping for fuel or to plug in.  If my elementary brain can figure out how to make it work, surely a rocket scientist can/has.

There are some cool features with modes that basically allow for one foot driving and you can regen about 10-15% battery life. We don't do a lot of long haul drives. Basically 2 hours would be the longest drive we would do and in most cases we wouldn't end up doing more then 300 km in a round trip which is possible to do on a single charge. Added to that they have a ton of quick charge stations that will do 80% in 30 minutes the technoogy here is in place that makes it pretty convienent. 

Most parking garages have priority parking for electric vehicles too. 

  • Like 3

 ⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Until there are a hell of a lot more charging stations and the range improves, I wouldn't have one in the US. However, in Europe and possibly Australia, I'd be all for it because the infrastructure is there.

  • Like 6

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0

Hybrid: Maltby KE4 HDI 4 and 5 UST Recoil 660 F4
Irons: Maltby DBM Forged UST Recoil 660 F4
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S

Wedge: SCOR4161 46° and 50° 
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8


God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

There are some cool features with modes that basically allow for one foot driving and you can regen about 10-15% battery life. We don't do a lot of long haul drives. Basically 2 hours would be the longest drive we would do and in most cases we wouldn't end up doing more then 300 km in a round trip which is possible to do on a single charge. Added to that they have a ton of quick charge stations that will do 80% in 30 minutes the technoogy here is in place that makes it pretty convienent. 

Most parking garages have priority parking for electric vehicles too. 

I hear you on that.  I’m a get gas and get back in the road guy.  Waiting 30 minutes for a charge does not compute.  😂

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MattF said:

Until there are a hell of a lot more charging stations and the range improves, I wouldn't have one in the US. However, in Europe and possibly Australia, I'd be all for it because the infrastructure is there.

Just over 30% of the cars on the round here in Switzerland right now are electric so the infrastructure is there. However yeah range is something I'm not amazed at. Would love to get about 500km or 350 miles per charge and most are closed to the 350 km or 200 miles at the moment. 

  • Like 4

 ⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So I know this is a golfing forum, but I use it for well a lot more than just that with having gotten the chance to know many of you through my role here, previous testing and several other posts/interactions. With that here is the scoop....

Allyssa and I currently have a 2010 BMW 116i. A nice little hatch back car that we purchased for 4700 CHF (about 5200 USD) when we moved here to Switzerland. We had to purchase the car outright because of our visa (L permit, which is a short term year to year) However now that we have been here for 2 years we are eligible for the B permit. This is a long term permit and along with it I have signed a open ended contract with the curling hall here in Baden. 

Because L permits are short term, you cannot lease a car, you cannot get a loan for a car, basically the only way to get a vehicle is as we did. Buy one outright. With a B we are able to get a lease! We intend on staying here long term so a new larger (more family/baby friendly) car is something we want to do. We have test drove several different electric cars (most brands not available in the states), however I wanted to reach out here and see who all has one, what you found some benefits for it, what are some downsides and anything inbetween. 

For reference gas is 2.10 ish a litre so $8 a gallon? About there. In other words very high and getting higher. That being said with our unit we rent the electric is basically free (Landlord pays for electric). Recharging at stations is about .62 per kw. Insurance would double, from about 600 chf to 1100 chf, but that is expected. 

The ones we test drove were all really nice, lots more room, some great deals and values for the prices and are within the budget I would like to keep moving forward. Not to mention the added safety features most all the new ones have. 

Now that I've run through everything, would love to hear from you who have them any and all info that you may find important. Last point of reference is range, it's Switzerland. Not a big country. I'm about 20 minutes to the German border and it's 3 hours all the way down south to Geneva. Charging stations everywhere and any longer journeys are just as easy to take a train or fly. Also in 2030 there is a ban on all new petrol or diesel cars... so maybe now is the time to jump on the electric hype train?

We have an order in for a Mustang Mach E. We live in SoCal and have solar panels on the house, so with gas prices it makes a ton of sense for us. I agree with @Shankster, I am looking forward to self charging cars!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jddaigneault said:

We have an order in for a Mustang Mach E. We live in SoCal and have solar panels on the house, so with gas prices it makes a ton of sense for us. I agree with @Shankster, I am looking forward to self charging cars!

Heck yeah!  I’ve been waiting for electric cars since I was a kid messing around with R/C cars.  It is only a matter of time.  I have a ton of ideas on different ways to charge them… maybe I should try to sell them to Elon…🤔 or whoever owns the other brands.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Heck yeah!  I’ve been waiting for electric cars since I was a kid messing around with R/C cars.  It is only a matter of time.  I have a ton of ideas on different ways to charge them… maybe I should try to sell them to Elon…🤔 or whoever owns the other brands.

I do worry about the range. I’m hoping that by the time we replace my wife’s car there is more of what you’re talking about and the range can be extended. Once you factor in AC and multiple people/belongings the range dips significantly. The Mach E will be a commuter car for me, so I’m less worried about range while we still have a CRV for longer trips. 

  • Like 4

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Europe has always had the advantage of everything being compact having developed when transportation was walking.  Small vehicles make total sense because of everything being closer and not a lot of room to park a vehicle when you get where you are going.  Traveled to UK since a boy so understand well how what we US folks call tiny is right size there and a normal 1960s-70s US car was usually too big to find a parking spot big enough, about the size of a UK lorry (sorry, truck).  With everything in N. America stretched out larger made sense for greater tolerances and lower precision meaning everything worked longer with less maintenance.  A European vehicle doing a 1000 miles has traveled a lot of places in a great many days whereas a US/Canadian vehicle might have done it in 2 days and only covered half of the distance between its origin and destination, same as Aussie.  

Electric vehicles make all kinds of sense in European countries but I agree with the regen concern, if it is not part of a vehicle's design electric is not going to be the first choice in the US without it being forced on the population, the trip I took a couple weeks ago of 600mi each way would have required 4 complete charges and hours more to do.  And as Americans, what are people's plans for what to do with all that time waiting for recharge?  Rhetorical question of course but something I don't think is on anyone's mind except those who find they have that time now they are traveling sans petrol.

My intuition says you are in the right place at the right time with the right opportunity, go for it and let us know how it goes!

  • Like 5

Verified Hack, 23 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: First StrikeTM Rattlesnake (10.5),  Ginty Trouble Club (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3(20) 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  |> Wedges: Worx (55) 636692430_worx30.png.0a353d81efc141276fcad4aac6d519f4.png 

|> Flatsticks: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1 (3), testing L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1    ⛳ 934372551_The-Club-Buddy-Rev-1-0120h.jpg.2e06db61797bee31ed27f49a3b801098.jpg 517658623_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.2d0acde35cce050d2a56a647437d1cfe.jpg  1944240139_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.8c7f11d619e7390fdb8ccdfac6479d58.jpg

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳   1435280570_COBALTicon25tall.jpg.31b6f5458d409c6539d66b88e728a841.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️  572101405_SwingUicon25.jpg.ef5d6308ca59444daedc3e24214e87d9.jpgSwingU Looper  

💻  1308581734_EPLogoxsm.jpg.93b58a256c00a74e47a35314305b477f.jpgMGS Logo  🌐  1590215503_dghLogo30.jpg.f5abb718a74e4d05c07131656bb13e78.jpgBall mark   |>   IGBRC   [International Golf Ball Rescue Committee] -Founder-

1231925043_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.f5b3c2e4a88708f6a6b5d3e143d9cba8.png PGA HOPE Graduate Member     2138091835_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.47a28d11828bd99f0147b9eee5c17ec4.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters  1578345221_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.0cb89de95b28f0ebddcff53b59a16f08.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will say, my golf clubs came with me to look at EVs. The Mach E was one of the few I could fit my bag in without taking the driver out. It was a must have the my wife graciously supported. 

Perhaps if golf courses start installing charging stations that will help with the “what to do” question…if I owned a driving range I’d for sure throw some charging stations in. “Honey we’re getting low on charge we need to make a quick stop for a large bucket”. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I hear you on that.  I’m a get gas and get back in the road guy.  Waiting 30 minutes for a charge does not compute.  😂

What if charging stations had chipping and putting greens so while charging you could get some short game practice in?

The 2 top choices for us are the Peugeot e-2008 and Skoda Enyaq. Little different, but both have tons of options and are plenty big enough for all we would possibly need. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

 ⛳🛄 as of April 15, 2022

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero - Set at 9.5* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

               :ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

Perhaps if golf courses start installing charging stations that will help with the “what to do” question…if I owned a driving range I’d for sure throw some charging stations in. “Honey we’re getting low on charge we need to make a quick stop for a large bucket”. 

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

What if charging stations had chipping and putting greens so while charging you could get some short game practice in?

The 2 top choices for us are the Peugeot e-2008 and Skoda Enyaq. Little different, but both have tons of options and are plenty big enough for all we would possibly need. 

 

Well if there is golf involved of course EVs make total sense, even if it involves windmills and chutes ⛳ maybe a selling point could be how many clubs or golf bags the vehicle can carry, maybe a club pocket like some vehicles have for umbrellas.

Both of those vehicles look really sharp, there is something about the styling of European brands that always makes them look cool.

  • Like 3

Verified Hack, 23 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: First StrikeTM Rattlesnake (10.5),  Ginty Trouble Club (29)

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3(20) 4(23) 5(26) 6(29) 7(33) 8(37) 9(41) P(45)  |> Wedges: Worx (55) 636692430_worx30.png.0a353d81efc141276fcad4aac6d519f4.png 

|> Flatsticks: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1 (3), testing L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1    ⛳ 934372551_The-Club-Buddy-Rev-1-0120h.jpg.2e06db61797bee31ed27f49a3b801098.jpg 517658623_DrizzleStickLogo25.jpg.2d0acde35cce050d2a56a647437d1cfe.jpg  1944240139_ZeroFrictionLogo25.jpg.8c7f11d619e7390fdb8ccdfac6479d58.jpg

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳   1435280570_COBALTicon25tall.jpg.31b6f5458d409c6539d66b88e728a841.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️  572101405_SwingUicon25.jpg.ef5d6308ca59444daedc3e24214e87d9.jpgSwingU Looper  

💻  1308581734_EPLogoxsm.jpg.93b58a256c00a74e47a35314305b477f.jpgMGS Logo  🌐  1590215503_dghLogo30.jpg.f5abb718a74e4d05c07131656bb13e78.jpgBall mark   |>   IGBRC   [International Golf Ball Rescue Committee] -Founder-

1231925043_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.f5b3c2e4a88708f6a6b5d3e143d9cba8.png PGA HOPE Graduate Member     2138091835_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.47a28d11828bd99f0147b9eee5c17ec4.png "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member #334 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

2022 Official Tester - L.A.B.Putters  1578345221_L.A.B.Golflogo30.jpg.0cb89de95b28f0ebddcff53b59a16f08.jpg

It's all lies I tell you, everywhere the golf ball comes to rest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a topic of great interest to me.  I'm very interested in an electric vehicle so can't wait to learn what you end up with and how it works out.  Also you may try reaching out to MGS's LarryD - he has an EV and loves it!

 

Good luck

  • Like 3

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Shankster said:

I hear you on that.  I’m a get gas and get back in the road guy.  Waiting 30 minutes for a charge does not compute.  😂

My wife took delivery on a Mach E about a month ago.  I live in a small town in Rural Iowa.  The closest cities are 60 and 90 miles away.  The car has plenty of range to drive to the city, shop and drive home without stopping to charge.

 

My wife drove it to Minneapolis once, mainly to check out the ins-and-outs of long distance charging.  It added about half an hour to a 6 hour trip. 
 

Shankster echos a lot of comments I’ve heard about the hassle of stopping to charge on trips.  The other side of that is how much time one saves by not stopping at gas stations every week to fill up.  We have a class 2 charger at home (paid for by the local utility company).  You get out of the car, plug it in and the next day it’s ready to go.  It takes at most 15 seconds.  Unless you regularly drive beyond the cars range, you save time week in week out by charging at home.  
 

we also have a plug in hybrid minivan.  30 mile range on a charge then the gas kick in.  This past winter (Jan-May), we put less than a tank of gas in the car because most days we don’t drive more than 30 miles a day.  We use a class 1 charger for the minivan, so it plugs into a standard 110 plug.  
 

The electric car serves as my wife’s primary car, but we have the minivan available for long trips.  
 

To me, here are the important factors when considering electric cars, US specific:

 

1.. Can you charge at home?

 

2.  How often do you really drive beyond the range of the car in a day?

 

3.  Availability of charging stations in areas you travel.

 

4.  Cost of electricity (much cheaper at both our Iowa and Florida houses than gas, even before the recent price hikes.)

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

What if charging stations had chipping and putting greens so while charging you could get some short game practice in?

The 2 top choices for us are the Peugeot e-2008 and Skoda Enyaq. Little different, but both have tons of options and are plenty big enough for all we would possibly need. 

 

Today… there would have been a lot of dented Tesla’s at the charging dock.  Shankster was Shanking… broken glass too probably. But any other day… no, still a fill up and roll out fan.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Shankster said:

I won’t buy one until the regulators allow the cars to charge themselves while driving.  The technology is there… I wouldn’t mind the Tesla Plaid, but like I said, until they can charge themselves (which would be amazing) l, imagine driving from New York to San Francisco, or Zurich to Athens without stopping for fuel or to plug in.  If my elementary brain can figure out how to make it work, surely a rocket scientist can/has.

Same here.  While we've not yet pulled the trigger on one, I will only consider a hybrid or plug-in hybrid at this time.  All electric are just too limited in range for our needs but for some (your case Jamie) probably the best option.  

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 4:38 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Also in 2030 there is a ban on all new petrol or diesel cars... so maybe now is the time to jump on the electric hype train?

This is a pretty solid "stake in the ground".  Doubt we'll see such a ban here in the US (at least in most our lifespans), but eventually the technology and infrastructure will probably not require one anyway.

Recharge time requirements are still a big hinderance to folks choosing all electric.  Level 3 (fastest) chargers are not the norm and certainly not at peoples homes where most recharging is done.  Even with L2 chargers at home the average recharge time is ~8 hours for most 2022 model cars.  For anyone considering an all electric, spend some time thoroughly researching this.  Much like salesman who tell folks "oh heck yeah, this truck can haul that RV no problem"... don't rely solely on them for answering the recharge and range questions.

  • Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is a pretty solid "stake in the ground".  Doubt we'll see such a ban here in the US (at least in most our lifespans), but eventually the technology and infrastructure will probably not require one anyway.

Recharge time requirements are still a big hinderance to folks choosing all electric.  Level 3 (fastest) chargers are not the norm and certainly not at peoples homes where most recharging is done.  Even with L2 chargers at home the average recharge time is ~8 hours for most 2022 model cars.  For anyone considering an all electric, spend some time thoroughly researching this.  Much like salesman who tell folks "oh heck yeah, this truck can haul that RV no problem"... don't rely solely on them for answering the recharge and range questions.

That's 0-full charging time though. Most of the newer EV's are charging 20-80% in less than half of that time. Battery science, it takes more energy to get from 80-100% than it does lower than that. If a car's range at 80% capacity fits your daily driving needs, then you would likely never notice the difference coming from a gas car, just plug in when you get home, and (in most models) you can tell your car to stop at 80%.

My opinions are obviously skewed because I live in a place that is sunny 99% of the year, and never gets much below 65F year round, but I believe gas cars are on their way out in Hawaii. Just doesn't make sense to not make use of all this sun we get! We got solar in January and I'm producing on average 37 kWh a day, with a high of 53. A Tesla Model 3 Standard has a 50 kWh battery and a 263mi range, so I could basically drive ~194mi a day on the sun's dime if that's real-world range. If you live anywhere where it is cheap to charge (I'm sure you folks aren't paying $.34-.44 per kWh to your electric company like I am), and convenient, EV is a no-brainer. 

On 5/25/2022 at 12:38 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

So I know this is a golfing forum, but I use it for well a lot more than just that with having gotten the chance to know many of you through my role here, previous testing and several other posts/interactions. With that here is the scoop....

Allyssa and I currently have a 2010 BMW 116i. A nice little hatch back car that we purchased for 4700 CHF (about 5200 USD) when we moved here to Switzerland. We had to purchase the car outright because of our visa (L permit, which is a short term year to year) However now that we have been here for 2 years we are eligible for the B permit. This is a long term permit and along with it I have signed a open ended contract with the curling hall here in Baden. 

Because L permits are short term, you cannot lease a car, you cannot get a loan for a car, basically the only way to get a vehicle is as we did. Buy one outright. With a B we are able to get a lease! We intend on staying here long term so a new larger (more family/baby friendly) car is something we want to do. We have test drove several different electric cars (most brands not available in the states), however I wanted to reach out here and see who all has one, what you found some benefits for it, what are some downsides and anything inbetween. 

For reference gas is 2.10 ish a litre so $8 a gallon? About there. In other words very high and getting higher. That being said with our unit we rent the electric is basically free (Landlord pays for electric). Recharging at stations is about .62 per kw. Insurance would double, from about 600 chf to 1100 chf, but that is expected. 

The ones we test drove were all really nice, lots more room, some great deals and values for the prices and are within the budget I would like to keep moving forward. Not to mention the added safety features most all the new ones have. 

Now that I've run through everything, would love to hear from you who have them any and all info that you may find important. Last point of reference is range, it's Switzerland. Not a big country. I'm about 20 minutes to the German border and it's 3 hours all the way down south to Geneva. Charging stations everywhere and any longer journeys are just as easy to take a train or fly. Also in 2030 there is a ban on all new petrol or diesel cars... so maybe now is the time to jump on the electric hype train?

I've wanted a Model Y since they were first introduced, and I'm forever sad that I didn't buy a standard range when they first came out and were selling for $40k. Didn't have the means to charge conveniently at the time, but now that they're almost 50% more expensive, I'm kicking myself for not just figuring out a way to make it work. Put a deposit down on an Audi Q4 e-tron but they have yet to deliver one in the US, you might've seen them in EU? I think they're really nice -- I have an issue with some of these EV styles looking too futuristic or just doing random aesthetic changes just to differentiate that the car is an EV (I'm looking at you, Toyota bz4x https://www.toyota.com/bz4x/2023/ with your random front fenders being black). Also, that's a stupid name.

The Q4 we put deposit on likely won't come for another 12 months, unless supply chains magically fix themselves. The stealership told us that we're 83rd in line. That's just in Hawaii, not nationally or anything. So in the interim, I'm just putting deposits (refundable) down on all EVs that I don't absolutely hate (short list). I really didn't like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 when I first saw it, but in person it looks a little better. All of the reviewers rave about it so I'm excited to test drive one. Might luck into one here shortly. If anything, I can probably sell it for a profit when the Q4 finally comes in a year, since the used market is so bonkers right now. That's half of the reason I'm trying to get an EV as soon as possible outside of the obvious gas price insanity, my car is worth nearly what I bought it for 5 years ago. So at worst I get an EV that I don't really care for until the Q4 arrives, then sell this likely for a profit or barely any loss, get the $7500 tax credit while it's still being offered, and save a buttload of money on gas. If I end up liking the Ioniq maybe I'll keep it for myself and wifey can have the Audi.

  • Like 5

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, yungkory said:

That's 0-full charging time though. Most of the newer EV's are charging 20-80% in less than half of that time. Battery science, it takes more energy to get from 80-100% than it does lower than that. If a car's range at 80% capacity fits your daily driving needs, then you would likely never notice the difference coming from a gas car, just plug in when you get home, and (in most models) you can tell your car to stop at 80%.

My opinions are obviously skewed because I live in a place that is sunny 99% of the year, and never gets much below 65F year round, but I believe gas cars are on their way out in Hawaii. Just doesn't make sense to not make use of all this sun we get! We got solar in January and I'm producing on average 37 kWh a day, with a high of 53. A Tesla Model 3 Standard has a 50 kWh battery and a 263mi range, so I could basically drive ~194mi a day on the sun's dime if that's real-world range. If you live anywhere where it is cheap to charge (I'm sure you folks aren't paying $.34-.44 per kWh to your electric company like I am), and convenient, EV is a no-brainer. 

I've wanted a Model Y since they were first introduced, and I'm forever sad that I didn't buy a standard range when they first came out and were selling for $40k. Didn't have the means to charge conveniently at the time, but now that they're almost 50% more expensive, I'm kicking myself for not just figuring out a way to make it work. Put a deposit down on an Audi Q4 e-tron but they have yet to deliver one in the US, you might've seen them in EU? I think they're really nice -- I have an issue with some of these EV styles looking too futuristic or just doing random aesthetic changes just to differentiate that the car is an EV (I'm looking at you, Toyota bz4x https://www.toyota.com/bz4x/2023/ with your random front fenders being black). Also, that's a stupid name.

The Q4 we put deposit on likely won't come for another 12 months, unless supply chains magically fix themselves. The stealership told us that we're 83rd in line. That's just in Hawaii, not nationally or anything. So in the interim, I'm just putting deposits (refundable) down on all EVs that I don't absolutely hate (short list). I really didn't like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 when I first saw it, but in person it looks a little better. All of the reviewers rave about it so I'm excited to test drive one. Might luck into one here shortly. If anything, I can probably sell it for a profit when the Q4 finally comes in a year, since the used market is so bonkers right now. That's half of the reason I'm trying to get an EV as soon as possible outside of the obvious gas price insanity, my car is worth nearly what I bought it for 5 years ago. So at worst I get an EV that I don't really care for until the Q4 arrives, then sell this likely for a profit or barely any loss, get the $7500 tax credit while it's still being offered, and save a buttload of money on gas. If I end up liking the Ioniq maybe I'll keep it for myself and wifey can have the Audi.

The used car market is ridiculous. I’m going to be able to sell my 10 year old Hyundai Sonata for $10k. That definitely helps soften the blow of the upfront EV cost. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...