TESTERS WANTED! ×

Electric Car Purchase

GolfSpy_APH

So I know this is a golfing forum, but I use it for well a lot more than just that with having gotten the chance to know many of you through my role here, previous testing and several other posts/interactions. With that here is the scoop....

Allyssa and I currently have a 2010 BMW 116i. A nice little hatch back car that we purchased for 4700 CHF (about 5200 USD) when we moved here to Switzerland. We had to purchase the car outright because of our visa (L permit, which is a short term year to year) However now that we have been here for 2 years we are eligible for the B permit. This is a long term permit and along with it I have signed a open ended contract with the curling hall here in Baden. 

Because L permits are short term, you cannot lease a car, you cannot get a loan for a car, basically the only way to get a vehicle is as we did. Buy one outright. With a B we are able to get a lease! We intend on staying here long term so a new larger (more family/baby friendly) car is something we want to do. We have test drove several different electric cars (most brands not available in the states), however I wanted to reach out here and see who all has one, what you found some benefits for it, what are some downsides and anything inbetween. 

For reference gas is 2.10 ish a litre so $8 a gallon? About there. In other words very high and getting higher. That being said with our unit we rent the electric is basically free (Landlord pays for electric). Recharging at stations is about .62 per kw. Insurance would double, from about 600 chf to 1100 chf, but that is expected. 

The ones we test drove were all really nice, lots more room, some great deals and values for the prices and are within the budget I would like to keep moving forward. Not to mention the added safety features most all the new ones have. 

Now that I've run through everything, would love to hear from you who have them any and all info that you may find important. Last point of reference is range, it's Switzerland. Not a big country. I'm about 20 minutes to the German border and it's 3 hours all the way down south to Geneva. Charging stations everywhere and any longer journeys are just as easy to take a train or fly. Also in 2030 there is a ban on all new petrol or diesel cars... so maybe now is the time to jump on the electric hype train?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I won’t buy one until the regulators allow the cars to charge themselves while driving.  The technology is there… I wouldn’t mind the Tesla Plaid, but like I said, until they can charge themselves (which would be amazing) l, imagine driving from New York to San Francisco, or Zurich to Athens without stopping for fuel or to plug in.  If my elementary brain can figure out how to make it work, surely a rocket scientist can/has.

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I won’t buy one until the regulators allow the cars to charge themselves while driving.  The technology is there… I wouldn’t mind the Tesla Plaid, but like I said, until they can charge themselves (which would be amazing) l, imagine driving from New York to San Francisco, or Zurich to Athens without stopping for fuel or to plug in.  If my elementary brain can figure out how to make it work, surely a rocket scientist can/has.

There are some cool features with modes that basically allow for one foot driving and you can regen about 10-15% battery life. We don't do a lot of long haul drives. Basically 2 hours would be the longest drive we would do and in most cases we wouldn't end up doing more then 300 km in a round trip which is possible to do on a single charge. Added to that they have a ton of quick charge stations that will do 80% in 30 minutes the technoogy here is in place that makes it pretty convienent. 

Most parking garages have priority parking for electric vehicles too. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Until there are a hell of a lot more charging stations and the range improves, I wouldn't have one in the US. However, in Europe and possibly Australia, I'd be all for it because the infrastructure is there.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

There are some cool features with modes that basically allow for one foot driving and you can regen about 10-15% battery life. We don't do a lot of long haul drives. Basically 2 hours would be the longest drive we would do and in most cases we wouldn't end up doing more then 300 km in a round trip which is possible to do on a single charge. Added to that they have a ton of quick charge stations that will do 80% in 30 minutes the technoogy here is in place that makes it pretty convienent. 

Most parking garages have priority parking for electric vehicles too. 

I hear you on that.  I’m a get gas and get back in the road guy.  Waiting 30 minutes for a charge does not compute.  😂

1 minute ago, MattF said:

Until there are a hell of a lot more charging stations and the range improves, I wouldn't have one in the US. However, in Europe and possibly Australia, I'd be all for it because the infrastructure is there.

Just over 30% of the cars on the round here in Switzerland right now are electric so the infrastructure is there. However yeah range is something I'm not amazed at. Would love to get about 500km or 350 miles per charge and most are closed to the 350 km or 200 miles at the moment. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

19 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

So I know this is a golfing forum, but I use it for well a lot more than just that with having gotten the chance to know many of you through my role here, previous testing and several other posts/interactions. With that here is the scoop....

Allyssa and I currently have a 2010 BMW 116i. A nice little hatch back car that we purchased for 4700 CHF (about 5200 USD) when we moved here to Switzerland. We had to purchase the car outright because of our visa (L permit, which is a short term year to year) However now that we have been here for 2 years we are eligible for the B permit. This is a long term permit and along with it I have signed a open ended contract with the curling hall here in Baden. 

Because L permits are short term, you cannot lease a car, you cannot get a loan for a car, basically the only way to get a vehicle is as we did. Buy one outright. With a B we are able to get a lease! We intend on staying here long term so a new larger (more family/baby friendly) car is something we want to do. We have test drove several different electric cars (most brands not available in the states), however I wanted to reach out here and see who all has one, what you found some benefits for it, what are some downsides and anything inbetween. 

For reference gas is 2.10 ish a litre so $8 a gallon? About there. In other words very high and getting higher. That being said with our unit we rent the electric is basically free (Landlord pays for electric). Recharging at stations is about .62 per kw. Insurance would double, from about 600 chf to 1100 chf, but that is expected. 

The ones we test drove were all really nice, lots more room, some great deals and values for the prices and are within the budget I would like to keep moving forward. Not to mention the added safety features most all the new ones have. 

Now that I've run through everything, would love to hear from you who have them any and all info that you may find important. Last point of reference is range, it's Switzerland. Not a big country. I'm about 20 minutes to the German border and it's 3 hours all the way down south to Geneva. Charging stations everywhere and any longer journeys are just as easy to take a train or fly. Also in 2030 there is a ban on all new petrol or diesel cars... so maybe now is the time to jump on the electric hype train?

We have an order in for a Mustang Mach E. We live in SoCal and have solar panels on the house, so with gas prices it makes a ton of sense for us. I agree with @Shankster, I am looking forward to self charging cars!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

1 minute ago, jddaigneault said:

We have an order in for a Mustang Mach E. We live in SoCal and have solar panels on the house, so with gas prices it makes a ton of sense for us. I agree with @Shankster, I am looking forward to self charging cars!

Heck yeah!  I’ve been waiting for electric cars since I was a kid messing around with R/C cars.  It is only a matter of time.  I have a ton of ideas on different ways to charge them… maybe I should try to sell them to Elon…🤔 or whoever owns the other brands.

7 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Heck yeah!  I’ve been waiting for electric cars since I was a kid messing around with R/C cars.  It is only a matter of time.  I have a ton of ideas on different ways to charge them… maybe I should try to sell them to Elon…🤔 or whoever owns the other brands.

I do worry about the range. I’m hoping that by the time we replace my wife’s car there is more of what you’re talking about and the range can be extended. Once you factor in AC and multiple people/belongings the range dips significantly. The Mach E will be a commuter car for me, so I’m less worried about range while we still have a CRV for longer trips. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

I will say, my golf clubs came with me to look at EVs. The Mach E was one of the few I could fit my bag in without taking the driver out. It was a must have the my wife graciously supported. 

Perhaps if golf courses start installing charging stations that will help with the “what to do” question…if I owned a driving range I’d for sure throw some charging stations in. “Honey we’re getting low on charge we need to make a quick stop for a large bucket”. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

39 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I hear you on that.  I’m a get gas and get back in the road guy.  Waiting 30 minutes for a charge does not compute.  😂

What if charging stations had chipping and putting greens so while charging you could get some short game practice in?

The 2 top choices for us are the Peugeot e-2008 and Skoda Enyaq. Little different, but both have tons of options and are plenty big enough for all we would possibly need. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

This is a topic of great interest to me.  I'm very interested in an electric vehicle so can't wait to learn what you end up with and how it works out.  Also you may try reaching out to MGS's LarryD - he has an EV and loves it!

Good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

6 hours ago, Shankster said:

My wife took delivery on a Mach E about a month ago.  I live in a small town in Rural Iowa.  The closest cities are 60 and 90 miles away.  The car has plenty of range to drive to the city, shop and drive home without stopping to charge.

My wife drove it to Minneapolis once, mainly to check out the ins-and-outs of long distance charging.  It added about half an hour to a 6 hour trip. 

Shankster echos a lot of comments I’ve heard about the hassle of stopping to charge on trips.  The other side of that is how much time one saves by not stopping at gas stations every week to fill up.  We have a class 2 charger at home (paid for by the local utility company).  You get out of the car, plug it in and the next day it’s ready to go.  It takes at most 15 seconds.  Unless you regularly drive beyond the cars range, you save time week in week out by charging at home.  

we also have a plug in hybrid minivan.  30 mile range on a charge then the gas kick in.  This past winter (Jan-May), we put less than a tank of gas in the car because most days we don’t drive more than 30 miles a day.  We use a class 1 charger for the minivan, so it plugs into a standard 110 plug.  

The electric car serves as my wife’s primary car, but we have the minivan available for long trips.  

To me, here are the important factors when considering electric cars, US specific:

1.. Can you charge at home?

2.  How often do you really drive beyond the range of the car in a day?

3.  Availability of charging stations in areas you travel.

4.  Cost of electricity (much cheaper at both our Iowa and Florida houses than gas, even before the recent price hikes.)

8 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

What if charging stations had chipping and putting greens so while charging you could get some short game practice in?

The 2 top choices for us are the Peugeot e-2008 and Skoda Enyaq. Little different, but both have tons of options and are plenty big enough for all we would possibly need. 

Today… there would have been a lot of dented Tesla’s at the charging dock.  Shankster was Shanking… broken glass too probably. But any other day… no, still a fill up and roll out fan.

10 hours ago, Shankster said:

Same here.  While we've not yet pulled the trigger on one, I will only consider a hybrid or plug-in hybrid at this time.  All electric are just too limited in range for our needs but for some (your case Jamie) probably the best option.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 5/25/2022 at 4:38 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Also in 2030 there is a ban on all new petrol or diesel cars... so maybe now is the time to jump on the electric hype train?

This is a pretty solid "stake in the ground".  Doubt we'll see such a ban here in the US (at least in most our lifespans), but eventually the technology and infrastructure will probably not require one anyway.

Recharge time requirements are still a big hinderance to folks choosing all electric.  Level 3 (fastest) chargers are not the norm and certainly not at peoples homes where most recharging is done.  Even with L2 chargers at home the average recharge time is ~8 hours for most 2022 model cars.  For anyone considering an all electric, spend some time thoroughly researching this.  Much like salesman who tell folks "oh heck yeah, this truck can haul that RV no problem"... don't rely solely on them for answering the recharge and range questions.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

8 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is a pretty solid "stake in the ground".  Doubt we'll see such a ban here in the US (at least in most our lifespans), but eventually the technology and infrastructure will probably not require one anyway.

Recharge time requirements are still a big hinderance to folks choosing all electric.  Level 3 (fastest) chargers are not the norm and certainly not at peoples homes where most recharging is done.  Even with L2 chargers at home the average recharge time is ~8 hours for most 2022 model cars.  For anyone considering an all electric, spend some time thoroughly researching this.  Much like salesman who tell folks "oh heck yeah, this truck can haul that RV no problem"... don't rely solely on them for answering the recharge and range questions.

That's 0-full charging time though. Most of the newer EV's are charging 20-80% in less than half of that time. Battery science, it takes more energy to get from 80-100% than it does lower than that. If a car's range at 80% capacity fits your daily driving needs, then you would likely never notice the difference coming from a gas car, just plug in when you get home, and (in most models) you can tell your car to stop at 80%.

My opinions are obviously skewed because I live in a place that is sunny 99% of the year, and never gets much below 65F year round, but I believe gas cars are on their way out in Hawaii. Just doesn't make sense to not make use of all this sun we get! We got solar in January and I'm producing on average 37 kWh a day, with a high of 53. A Tesla Model 3 Standard has a 50 kWh battery and a 263mi range, so I could basically drive ~194mi a day on the sun's dime if that's real-world range. If you live anywhere where it is cheap to charge (I'm sure you folks aren't paying $.34-.44 per kWh to your electric company like I am), and convenient, EV is a no-brainer. 

On 5/25/2022 at 12:38 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

I've wanted a Model Y since they were first introduced, and I'm forever sad that I didn't buy a standard range when they first came out and were selling for $40k. Didn't have the means to charge conveniently at the time, but now that they're almost 50% more expensive, I'm kicking myself for not just figuring out a way to make it work. Put a deposit down on an Audi Q4 e-tron but they have yet to deliver one in the US, you might've seen them in EU? I think they're really nice -- I have an issue with some of these EV styles looking too futuristic or just doing random aesthetic changes just to differentiate that the car is an EV (I'm looking at you, Toyota bz4x https://www.toyota.com/bz4x/2023/ with your random front fenders being black). Also, that's a stupid name.

The Q4 we put deposit on likely won't come for another 12 months, unless supply chains magically fix themselves. The stealership told us that we're 83rd in line. That's just in Hawaii, not nationally or anything. So in the interim, I'm just putting deposits (refundable) down on all EVs that I don't absolutely hate (short list). I really didn't like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 when I first saw it, but in person it looks a little better. All of the reviewers rave about it so I'm excited to test drive one. Might luck into one here shortly. If anything, I can probably sell it for a profit when the Q4 finally comes in a year, since the used market is so bonkers right now. That's half of the reason I'm trying to get an EV as soon as possible outside of the obvious gas price insanity, my car is worth nearly what I bought it for 5 years ago. So at worst I get an EV that I don't really care for until the Q4 arrives, then sell this likely for a profit or barely any loss, get the $7500 tax credit while it's still being offered, and save a buttload of money on gas. If I end up liking the Ioniq maybe I'll keep it for myself and wifey can have the Audi.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

36 minutes ago, yungkory said:

That's 0-full charging time though. Most of the newer EV's are charging 20-80% in less than half of that time. Battery science, it takes more energy to get from 80-100% than it does lower than that. If a car's range at 80% capacity fits your daily driving needs, then you would likely never notice the difference coming from a gas car, just plug in when you get home, and (in most models) you can tell your car to stop at 80%.

My opinions are obviously skewed because I live in a place that is sunny 99% of the year, and never gets much below 65F year round, but I believe gas cars are on their way out in Hawaii. Just doesn't make sense to not make use of all this sun we get! We got solar in January and I'm producing on average 37 kWh a day, with a high of 53. A Tesla Model 3 Standard has a 50 kWh battery and a 263mi range, so I could basically drive ~194mi a day on the sun's dime if that's real-world range. If you live anywhere where it is cheap to charge (I'm sure you folks aren't paying $.34-.44 per kWh to your electric company like I am), and convenient, EV is a no-brainer. 

I've wanted a Model Y since they were first introduced, and I'm forever sad that I didn't buy a standard range when they first came out and were selling for $40k. Didn't have the means to charge conveniently at the time, but now that they're almost 50% more expensive, I'm kicking myself for not just figuring out a way to make it work. Put a deposit down on an Audi Q4 e-tron but they have yet to deliver one in the US, you might've seen them in EU? I think they're really nice -- I have an issue with some of these EV styles looking too futuristic or just doing random aesthetic changes just to differentiate that the car is an EV (I'm looking at you, Toyota bz4x https://www.toyota.com/bz4x/2023/ with your random front fenders being black). Also, that's a stupid name.

The Q4 we put deposit on likely won't come for another 12 months, unless supply chains magically fix themselves. The stealership told us that we're 83rd in line. That's just in Hawaii, not nationally or anything. So in the interim, I'm just putting deposits (refundable) down on all EVs that I don't absolutely hate (short list). I really didn't like the Hyundai Ioniq 5 when I first saw it, but in person it looks a little better. All of the reviewers rave about it so I'm excited to test drive one. Might luck into one here shortly. If anything, I can probably sell it for a profit when the Q4 finally comes in a year, since the used market is so bonkers right now. That's half of the reason I'm trying to get an EV as soon as possible outside of the obvious gas price insanity, my car is worth nearly what I bought it for 5 years ago. So at worst I get an EV that I don't really care for until the Q4 arrives, then sell this likely for a profit or barely any loss, get the $7500 tax credit while it's still being offered, and save a buttload of money on gas. If I end up liking the Ioniq maybe I'll keep it for myself and wifey can have the Audi.

The used car market is ridiculous. I’m going to be able to sell my 10 year old Hyundai Sonata for $10k. That definitely helps soften the blow of the upfront EV cost. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

10 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

The used car market is ridiculous. I’m going to be able to sell my 10 year old Hyundai Sonata for $10k. That definitely helps soften the blow of the upfront EV cost. 

Absolutely insane, my car is worth $5k less after 5 years!

On 5/25/2022 at 2:16 PM, alfriday101 said:

To me, here are the important factors when considering electric cars, US specific:

1.. Can you charge at home?

2.  How often do you really drive beyond the range of the car in a day?

3.  Availability of charging stations in areas you travel.

4.  Cost of electricity (much cheaper at both our Iowa and Florida houses than gas, even before the recent price hikes.)

EVs make perfect sense for many people, but not everyone. In the US, about 80% of EVs charging happens at homes overnight while sleeping (might want 220V), and most EV owners don’t drive more than 150 miles (usually much less) per day - so range and finding charging stations is an exception. Though they may have to wait for a charge at a remote charging stations a few times a year, they NEVER have to stop for gas the other 340+ days a year, and BEVs require much less regular maintenance than ICE cars. Most EVs these days have a real range of 200-300 miles, a little less than the optimal that some EV companies advertise.

Many people don’t go more than 150 miles in a day or on longer trips more than a few times a year. When they do they take their second ICE car on long trips, plan out charging stops when needed or spring for a rental (for that once a year cross country trip). To categorically rule out an EV due to “range” is shortsighted for most drivers. Many/most people who dismiss EVs for range concerns haven’t stopped to consider their actual driving habits - how many times a year do you actually drive more than the practical range of an EV? If you drive long distances often, need high load/towing capability, are a one car household, and/or can’t charge at home (apartments?) an EV probably doesn’t make sense - but many drivers don’t have those constraints.

Not all EVs or chargers are created equal. Some EVs can charge to 80% in 15-30 minutes, but yes some take hours. You’d have to look into a specific EV and charging stations in your area. Experienced EV owners will typically do several shorter duration partial charges on a long trip, instead of running until the battery is almost dead and waiting for a full charge at one stop. The Tesla interface, and some others, will show you all the charging stations on your route and even available stalls in real time. Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze can display charging stations on your route or in your vicinity. At least in the US, Tesla owners have access to over 19,000 charging stalls at 4500+ charging stations (Tesla superchargers and destination chargers), way more plentiful than others. With other brands you should do your homework. There are over 30,000 charging stalls worldwide for Teslas, Superchargers for Teslas and destination chargers for all. More charging stations are being built every day!

It’s best to do your homework to see if an EV makes sense for your situation, it works very well for millions. Other than Chevy Bolt owners and a few others, I haven’t met an EV owner who regrets buying one yet.

We’ve had 4 hybrids but not a BEV yet. Had to buy a car Oct 2021 and definitely would have bought a Tesla Model Y, but the waiting list at that time was Jun to Oct 2022 depending on which model!

For two car families, one EV and an ICE is a no brainer IME - but most of the population is so unfamiliar with EVs they don’t know what they don’t know. People still ask me if we have to plug in our hybrids (no), even though HEVs have been around for over 20 years…

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

5 hours ago, Middler said:

EVs make perfect sense for many people, but not everyone. In the US, about 80% of EVs charging happens at homes overnight while sleeping (might want 220V), and most EV owners don’t drive more than 150 miles (usually much less) per day - so range and finding charging stations is an exception. Though they may have to wait for a charge at a remote charging stations a few times a year, they NEVER have to stop for gas the other 340+ days a year, and BEVs require much less regular maintenance than ICE cars. Most EVs these days have a real range of 200-300 miles, a little less than the optimal that some EV companies advertise.

Many people don’t go more than 150 miles in a day or on longer trips more than a few times a year. When they do they take their second ICE car on long trips, plan out charging stops when needed or spring for a rental (for that once a year cross country trip). To categorically rule out an EV due to “range” is shortsighted for most drivers. Many/most people who dismiss EVs for range concerns haven’t stopped to consider their actual driving habits - how many times a year do you actually drive more than the practical range of an EV? If you drive long distances often, need high load/towing capability, are a one car household, and/or can’t charge at home (apartments?) an EV probably doesn’t make sense - but many drivers don’t have those constraints.

Not all EVs or chargers are created equal. Some EVs can charge to 80% in 15-30 minutes, but yes some take over an hour. You’d have to look into a specific EV and charging stations in your area. Experienced EV owners will typically do several shorter duration partial charges on a long trip, instead of running until the battery is almost dead and waiting for a full charge at one stop. The Tesla interface, and some others, will show you all the charging stations on your route and even available stalls in real time. Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze can display charging stations on your route or in your vicinity. At least in the US, Tesla owners have access to over 19,000 charging stalls at 4500+ charging stations (Tesla superchargers and destination chargers), way more plentiful than others. With other brands you should do your homework. There are over 30,000 charging stalls worldwide for Teslas, Superchargers for Teslas and destination chargers for all. More charging stations are being built every day!

It’s best to do your homework to see if an EV makes sense for your situation, it works very well for millions. Other than Chevy Bolt owners and a few others, I haven’t met an EV owner who regrets buying one yet.

Forgot to mention the lower cost of maintenance for EVs as well! Very good point.

I know someone with one of the first Model S in Hawaii, going on like 8 years now I think, only time he's had to take his car in were the two times it got hit by other drivers. Both times in parking garages because people here don't know how to drive.

We are a Chevy Bolt owner - and while we were frustrated about the battery recall issue - we don't regret the purchase.  (Our local Chevy dealer gave us a loaner while waiting for the battery fix).  Its my wife's car.  The longest trip she takes is to check in on her mother - 150 miles round trip.  So perfect for her.  

There is some "range anxiety" if we have to go farther.  I've twice pushed it to the limit of its range to the point its flashing and beeping at me.  

We installed a 220 charging unit in the garage and share charges it over night there when she needs to.  When we travel with it to DesMoines (my usual weekly work trip) we've found a Shell/MidAmerican charging station at a Caseys station exactly half way; and the parking garage across from my hotel has two charging stations we use over night.  

You just have to do your homework first.  It is going to be the way of the future

In fact, I had to replace my lawnmower this week, and there were more electric lawnmowers at Lowes that ICE mowers - so I got a Kobolt one.  Worked great.

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I just replaced my 2 gas/diesel cars for a plug-in hybrid and an EV.

The hybrid yields 100km of electric range and is charged at a wallbox in my garage. 100km is enough for daily use for the wife to drive to work, pick up the kids, take them to golf practice, grocery shopping, etc. Usually charge it every 2-3 days. This is the bigger SUV, so if we decide to drive around Europe, I just switch to gas after using up the battery. One complaint I have is the smaller trunk. With my old Mazda CX-5, I could keep both children's seats, pack 2 Clicgears, 2 cart bags and 2 kid's bags. With the hybrid I can only pack 1 Clicgear, 1 cartbag and 1 kid's bag.

My daily driver is an Audi Q4 e-tron 35 (about 325km range). Just use it to drive to work and sometimes to the golf course. You can get the bigger brother e-tron 50 quattro which should give you 460km range. Since you mentioned roundtrips of 300km, this one should be enough for your needs.

Both cars are leased (4 year contracts). I'm still not 100% sold on battery technology, so I thought leasing them would be a safer bet than buying it and having to replace a battery out of warranty. But both Audi and Mercedes seem to provide 8 year battery warranty.

I have solar panels, so if I time it correctly, I'm charging the cars for free all summer long.

I made the mistake to omit the fast charger for the hybrid, that's why for long trips I'm still gas dependent. But Europe has the infrastructure, so you should take advantage of it. With fast charging, 45-60mins for a full charge, just make a pit stop, bathroom break, eat something and when you are done, the car is ready to go again.

I still haven't done the yearly service yet, but I heard it's cheaper than gas/diesel cars.

Let me know if you need any specific details.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On 5/25/2022 at 1:36 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

The courses I've been to already offer 2/4 charging stations and EV get 2-3 hours of free parking (in most public park houses).

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

Ah, one more thing I forgot... German government was paying incentives for people to install wallboxes at home and free financial aid for the purchase of an EV. I'm sure Swiss government has something similar too (or maybe not, rich mofos lol)

People mentioned having 220V at home, but that's not the deciding factor. Remember all sockets in Europe are 220V. What makes charging faster/slower is the load capacity of the wallbox. In my area, the local utilities allow 11kW without any special permission. Anything over that, and you need an approval and your wallbox needs to fulfill certain criteria (network connection, load management, some protocol, etc.)

Usually cars that support fast charging won't have an issue, but the bottle neck remains in the kW of the wallbox. If you charge overnight, 11kW is more than enough.

Would consider an EV if it had a 500mile range and could be recharged in five minutes, but not until then. Also consider how generating stations are powered {coal, natural gas and in some states nukes} ; your still running on fossil fuels by proxy. One thing more thing to think about is how the existing power grid will handle all these EVs the greenies want us to have. Still love the rumble of a 400hp V8.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

32 minutes ago, John W Sutch said:

Would consider an EV if it had a 500mile range and could be recharged in five minutes, but not until then. Also consider how generating stations are powered {coal, natural gas and in some states nukes} ; your still running on fossil fuels by proxy. One thing more thing to think about is how the existing power grid will handle all these EVs the greenies want us to have. Still love the rumble of a 400hp V8.

Sounds like your mind is made up but FWIW. If you can charge at home, while you're asleep and power plants are at off peak rates, charge time is in essence zero. Most people don't drive 500 miles very often, even someone who drives 20K miles per year is averaging less than 55 miles/day - and most people average less than 20K.

EVs do generate emissions, they're just at power plants - I agree the eco chics who claim EVs are zero emissions are uninformed or willfully ignorant. However, only EVs charging off a coal fired power plant have emissions nearing those of ICE vehicles - EVs are net cleaner if your local grid is gas, nuclear, renewables or anything other than coal.

80% of EV charging takes place at home, mostly while people are asleep - and that's preferable to the homeowner to take advantage of off peak rates. Power plant demand falls at night, that's why rates or lower off peak - which means power plants have to idle at night with reduced demand. EVs that charge off peak do not increase capacity demand, it's actually welcome to power plants if their demand is smoother (EVs charging off peak). Yes, there will be some increased demand as charging will take place during peak periods, but it's not directly additive - not a one for one add to the grid. There are already home chargers that automatically take advantage of and optimize off peak rates - the owner doesn't have to time charging.

I like the sound of a V8 as well, but not so much that I would dismiss what EVs have to offer without knowing a little more...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

1 hour ago, John W Sutch said:

Except that in Switzerland only about 2% of the electricity comes from fossil fuels. With European gas prices, it would be extremely expensive to maintain your 400hp V8.

5 minutes ago, Kanoito said:

Except that in Switzerland only about 2% of the electricity comes from fossil fuels. With European gas prices, it would be extremely expensive to maintain your 400hp V8.

At the crux of this i think for us here in Europe they are much more accessible and make more sense. If i ever get up to Hamburg to visit i don't be driving. It would be train or flight. 

I've driven across Canada in 3 days (5500 km) and am not stranger to long haul drives that are doable in Canada and the US by petrol vehicles. However those days are well behind me and in Europe if i do that amount of I'm i end up in Siberia lol

The charge stations here are everywhere, we have a wall charger built in to the parking space. So although there are downsides it is much harder to see them here.

For the majority I'm the US i do understand why there are setbacks, but glad to hear some are going that route and finding success with it.

May 31st the deal ends so decision will be very soon....

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

At the crux of this i think for us here in Europe they are much more accessible and make more sense. If i ever get up to Hamburg to visit i don't be driving. It would be train or flight. 

I've driven across Canada in 3 days (5500 km) and am not stranger to long haul drives that are doable in Canada and the US by petrol vehicles. However those days are well behind me and in Europe if i do that amount of I'm i end up in Siberia lol

The charge stations here are everywhere, we have a wall charger built in to the parking space. So although there are downsides it is much harder to see them here.

For the majority I'm the US i do understand why there are setbacks, but glad to hear some are going that route and finding success with it.

May 31st the deal ends so decision will be very soon...

Agree. Our company also got rid of all cars. Of you need to visit a customer, you fly then rent locally.

US and Canada are just too big. Can't see how charging infrastructure could be implemented effectively.

I just checked Q4 delivery times, 18 months... Jesus....