Electric Car Purchase

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Mine installed a 60A breaker as well. So since we have the same battery in our cars and the same charger my question is, how long does it take for a full charge and do you always charge it completely? My Power company offers a reduced EV rate between 11pm to 6am and of course I can program it to charge then. 

I pretty much charge once a week to 80%. Obviously there's no road trips in Hawaii. 80% gets my wife 250ish miles which is enough for her weekly commute. Currently sitting at 33% with estimated 108mi left, charged it to 80% on Sunday:

8C5B60D8-426A-4F17-A353-1E584953064F.png.0052f3d32248eb04ba4e80f9541c9866.png

I try as much as possible to charge when the sun is out. My solar and battery, at peak solar generation, can charge the car without pulling from the grid, so it's basically free when that lines up.

If 80% can get you through the week I would encourage you to stay in that 20-80% range and charge to full when you go on road trips. They say it's best for the battery, but above all, it takes more to get from 80-100% so you lose a lot of efficiency and burn more kWh which means more electric bill.

My electric bill went up $50 or so, but not buying gas every week more than makes up for it.

Edit: didn't answer your question. At 40A you basically get 10kW per hour. So divide the battery capacity by 10 and you can guestimate how long it takes to charge. From 20-80 for me about 6-7hrs @ 40A

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

4 minutes ago, yungkory said:

If 80% can get you through the week I would encourage you to stay in that 20-80% range and charge to full when you go on road trips. They say it's best for the battery, but above all, it takes more to get from 80-100% so you lose a lot of efficiency and burn more kWh which means more electric bill.

... Thanks for all the info! It all depends on where I need to go as I have no set routines. But thankfully my winter course is exactly 4.4 miles from home. Sprouts, my grocery store is 3.3 miles. But the closest PGA SS is 26.2 miles. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
                 :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-Pw MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 50*/MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Thanks for all the info! It all depends on where I need to go as I have no set routines. But thankfully my winter course is exactly 4.4 miles from home. Sprouts, my grocery store is 3.3 miles. But the closest PGA SS is 26.2 miles. 🤪

Yeah, in your case I would say you'll probably be charging once a week, and to do so whenever your rates are cheapest or if you have solar, whenever you're producing. 80% will cover you 5 round-trips to PGA SS 😆

• Love 1

15 hours ago, yungkory said:

I pretty much charge once a week to 80%. Obviously there's no road trips in Hawaii. 80% gets my wife 250ish miles which is enough for her weekly commute. Currently sitting at 33% with estimated 108mi left, charged it to 80% on Sunday:

8C5B60D8-426A-4F17-A353-1E584953064F.png.0052f3d32248eb04ba4e80f9541c9866.png

I try as much as possible to charge when the sun is out. My solar and battery, at peak solar generation, can charge the car without pulling from the grid, so it's basically free when that lines up.

My electric bill went up $50 or so, but not buying gas every week more than makes up for it.

Edit: didn't answer your question. At 40A you basically get 10kW per hour. So divide the battery capacity by 10 and you can guestimate how long it takes to charge. From 20-80 for me about 6-7hrs @ 40A

Wait... I thought the 80% rule was just to avoid the having the battery sitting at full charge for too long?
I didn't know from 80% to 100% consumes more electricity. That's good to know... I'll change the setting to 80% then.

My daily drive is 16km round trip to work.

Until now, my yearly electricity bill was about $1300. With the whole war thing going on, it's expected to jump all the way to $3000-4000 and now winter without sun... it's gonna hurt.

• Like 3

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

4 hours ago, Kanoito said:

Wait... I thought the 80% rule was just to avoid the having the battery sitting at full charge for too long?
I didn't know from 80% to 100% consumes more electricity. That's good to know... I'll change the setting to 80% then.

My daily drive is 16km round trip to work.

Until now, my yearly electricity bill was about $1300. With the whole war thing going on, it's expected to jump all the way to $3000-4000 and now winter without sun... it's gonna hurt.

From 20-80 it might take your car two hours to charge. From 80-100 it'll take another hour according to this study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352484719310911

"Note that, the total time to charge the car from 20% to 100% of SoC was, on average, 3 h and 6 min, while for the area between 20%–80% of SoC it took almost 2 h and for the last 20% of SoC"

So yeah, it's better for the battery lifecycle to do the 20-80 thing, but it's also better on your energy bill. So when your commute allows it, it's better to just charge to 80%.

I've read online that people charge to 100% once a month for "conditioning" but I don't see any evidence to back it up. Supposedly to keep the battery in good health, but hard to believe everything you read on the internet. Even the article I linked might be a sham, but at least I'm able to measure that myself, and I've found it to be consistent. I've done L3 charging twice and both times the car flew to 80 quickly, then plateaued

• Like 3

2 hours ago, yungkory said:

From 20-80 it might take your car two hours to charge. From 80-100 it'll take another hour according to this study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352484719310911

"Note that, the total time to charge the car from 20% to 100% of SoC was, on average, 3 h and 6 min, while for the area between 20%–80% of SoC it took almost 2 h and for the last 20% of SoC"

So yeah, it's better for the battery lifecycle to do the 20-80 thing, but it's also better on your energy bill. So when your commute allows it, it's better to just charge to 80%.

I've read online that people charge to 100% once a month for "conditioning" but I don't see any evidence to back it up. Supposedly to keep the battery in good health, but hard to believe everything you read on the internet. Even the article I linked might be a sham, but at least I'm able to measure that myself, and I've found it to be consistent. I've done L3 charging twice and both times the car flew to 80 quickly, then plateaued

I had a BMW i3 and that logic from charging was accurate re 0-80% fast, final 20% slower.

One of my first experiences with this topic as an EV owner was enlightening.

I stopped at a charger on a long journey home with about 6% battery remaining.  The single FAST DC charger was blocked  - the guy had just bought his EV and this was charge number 2 for him.  He was only 12% when I arrived so I knew I had at least an hour to wait, so grabbed some food to kill the time as there were no other chargers nearby back in those days. I eat, wander and come back an hour later and he's at 82%.  I ask him when he thinks it will be done and he say probably only 15 minutes.  I tell him the 0-80% / 20% logic mentioned above and he says, nope thats not how his car works. I nod knowingly, mumbling to my self.  45 minutes later he's at 87% so I ask him if he needs to be 100% to get home.  He says he lives only 3 miles away ..... I ask him politely if he can cut it short since I need ALL OF THE POWER I CAN GET HERE TO GET HOME. He is resistant but finally gives in and acknowledges that "maybe his first charge was the same thing, but he thought it was a first charge only thing ...."

I think EV owners should be given basic EV etiquette education  - it's a different way of living, especially when the cars in question are of the limited capacity variety.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, golferguy2727 said:

I had a BMW i3 and that logic from charging was accurate re 0-80% fast, final 20% slower.

One of my first experiences with this topic as an EV owner was enlightening.

I stopped at a charger on a long journey home with about 6% battery remaining.  The single FAST DC charger was blocked  - the guy had just bought his EV and this was charge number 2 for him.  He was only 12% when I arrived so I knew I had at least an hour to wait, so grabbed some food to kill the time as there were no other chargers nearby back in those days. I eat, wander and come back an hour later and he's at 82%.  I ask him when he thinks it will be done and he say probably only 15 minutes.  I tell him the 0-80% / 20% logic mentioned above and he says, nope thats not how his car works. I nod knowingly, mumbling to my self.  45 minutes later he's at 87% so I ask him if he needs to be 100% to get home.  He says he lives only 3 miles away ..... I ask him politely if he can cut it short since I need ALL OF THE POWER I CAN GET HERE TO GET HOME. He is resistant but finally gives in and acknowledges that "maybe his first charge was the same thing, but he thought it was a first charge only thing ...."

I think EV owners should be given basic EV etiquette education  - it's a different way of living, especially when the cars in question are of the limited capacity variety.

Just like the golf industry, there are a lot of unaware consumers. Just have to try and communicate the things you've learned along your journey and hopefully people listen and pass the word along. 

9 hours ago, yungkory said:

Even the article I linked might be a sham

That's a peer reviewed journal so it should be legit (unless the authors AND reviewer(s) were morons, but that's unlikely).

• Like 1

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W: :callaway-small: RAZR Fit TourAD something or other
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Finally got a build date for my Mach E! Coming to a course near you in November. 

Though I’m debating immediately selling it. Between the $7500 credit, a $2500 ford options rebate, and them honoring the 2022 price I’m getting it for $17k under MSRP. If I can flip it for close to that I can upgrade to a Model Y and save some money in the process. 

• Like 3

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Really need to get the wall box installed at home. We have a charger there, but between adapters or the wall charge it's been weird. Never a issue because there is a charging station at work, but certainly would prefer something at home. The cat simply (not unsurprisingly) will not fully charge. Best is say 70%. Certainly been an adjustment but one i can live with. Only other knock I'll say is highway driving kills the battery and range. Thankfully I don't end up doing a lot of long distance driving, but I'm acutely aware of looking for charging stations now. 

• Like 2

⛳🛄 as of Oct 31, 2022 (Past WITB
Driver:   TBD: Follow here: Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: King SZ 3 wood 15.5*

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 4 iron or others....

Irons:     :Sub70: Sub70 659 TC Raw 5-Aw w/ KBS Tour 90 Stiff Black PVD

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:     :taylormade-small:/:titleist-small: (currently testing)

Other:     :Arccos: 

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Really need to get the wall box installed at home. We have a charger there, but between adapters or the wall charge it's been weird. Never a issue because there is a charging station at work, but certainly would prefer something at home. The cat simply (not unsurprisingly) will not fully charge. Best is say 70%. Certainly been an adjustment but one i can live with. Only other knock I'll say is highway driving kills the battery and range. Thankfully I don't end up doing a lot of long distance driving, but I'm acutely aware of looking for charging stations now. 

What is the battery % / km you lose on highway driving compared to local driving?   I am curious to see what effect winter time heater use has on the range as well.  

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Accra Tour Z M5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :Sub70: Raw 50*, Nippon Tour 120 X; :vokey-small: SM9 54* / 10* / S, Wedge Flex ;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 57*, PX LZ 6.5;   :ping-small: Ancient Anser or Heppler Fetch (depends on the week);  Ball - :Snell: MTB-Black; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.