TESTERS WANTED! ×

Hit the ball vs send it to the target

6 hours ago, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Substitute the words "play golf" for "swing the club" and that's my thought of a "swinger" vs a "hitter".

... Over simplified and covered earlier, basically a hitter pushes the club predominantly with the trail arm/hand and a swinger pulls the club either with the body or lead arm/hand. In the real world most are not pure hitters or swingers but a combination of both and the reason why many swings break down during a round because timing a pull and a push together is just very difficult to do consistently. Best example I can think of is Rory that is able to pull the club from the top and then accelerate that pull with a push of the right hand through impact. The timing to do what Rory does is just extraordinary and why he hits the ball so far and accurately off the tee. Couples is another example as he pulls from the top of the swing and then throws his right hand so aggressively it comes off the grip through impact, and again has extraordinary timing. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Seems I always begin my posts with, “back in my day” … there were a few articles written about methods for not thinking about hitting the ball, which entailed covering the ball with a styrofoam cup. The theory went that if you didn’t see the ball, you could then focus ur attention on the intended target. Then upon impact, the ball would shoot out the other side of the cup directly on target. I must admit I never attempted this trick, tho I can remember seeing photos of it. A Google search failed to yield any info. I can remember thinking at the time that it would not work for me, because unlike a dog, I know the ball is still under the cup, and would then be thinking about hitting the ball “out of the cup” defeating its purpose altogether.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Basically for all putts 15’ and in I’ve been looking at the hole (or my target spot) instead of the ball. Been seeing a much higher rate of success. I think it’s a similar concept, and one I hadn’t thought to connect off the green before. 

"I have always wanted to live where one could practice (golf) shots in one's pajamas before breakfast." ~ Alister MacKenzie (And also me)

2 hours ago, Itsfischy said:

Basically for all putts 15’ and in I’ve been looking at the hole (or my target spot) instead of the ball. Been seeing a much higher rate of success. I think it’s a similar concept, and one I hadn’t thought to connect off the green before. 

Been doing that for all putts for 7 years.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/17/2022 at 8:40 AM, MyWifesSwingCoach said:

Then this thought popped into my head... I know how to hit the golf ball, but I don't know how to play golf.

^^ that is the key!

"Practice at the range, play the game of golf on the course"

...or so many smart instructors have said!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you to @GrumpyGolfand everyone else posting on this thread: it has unlocked my 2 best rounds ever! As usual, something as simple as “send it to the target” has freed my mind and has me playing my best golf. Notice I didn’t say swinging my best, just playing my best.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

• 2 weeks later...

If you take some time to view this you-tube video, there is enough proof to show that external focus cues (ie. not just use your eyes but concentrate in your mind) are superior. Also, lifting your expectations, anticipation of a good outcome/experience/reward, plus confidence seem to play a factor in improving your overall performance.

I actually emailed Dr Wulf to help answer some questions (awaiting her reply)

----------

Dear Dr Wulf

I study golf biomechanics as a hobby and do utilise external focus cues in my own golf swing during practice at home and on the golf course.

From my studies of the golf swing using scientific research data, I know that excessive dominant use of my trail arm is having a non-optimal impact on my swing mechanics. 

My question is how can I use an external focus cue to make that dominant trail arm action more passive? For example, would a conscious 'feel' of not trying to contract any muscles in my right shoulder girdle (or triceps) be an internal or external focus cue? 

Or/and

How can I use external focus cues to make my lead arm swing more dominant?  It seems impossible to apply optimal biomechanics to try and recreate the correctly timed forces on the golf grip without using internal focus cues.

Or 

Should I just forego using biomechanics and internal focus cues to optimise my technique and just concentrate on external focus cues? Hoping that my body will engage/fire all the correct muscles to reproduce the timed forces on the grip to meet my intent?
------------------------------------

Edited by Wildthing

I would say it is a combination of hit and sending the ball to the target. My teacher implemented me a “ hitting “ style of motion. Versus a free swinging hands fly away from the body flipping release. The ball gets In the way of the club and is incidental. A proper shot feels like the ball stays on the face forever and is thrown to the target

so I say combination 

Here is the reply I received from Dr Wulf to my email (in my previous post).

So basically, I was correct in not using biomechanics (body parts/forces/positions) in my own personal swing, although I was able to understand why I was hitting errant shots a few weeks ago (by using a an excessively dominant right arm). 

"Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.

Your third option is probably your best bet. Many studies have shown that concentrating on a muscle or body part results in superfluous contractions in agonists, antagonists, and other muscles (i.e., reduced efficiency) as well as reduced accuracy. So, I would try to find external focus cues (e.g., ball, trajectory, target, pressure exerted against the ground) that work for you. They will probably result in a better technique, more solid contact, and accurate shots. Good luck! "

PS. 
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to understand some of the more common traits that pro golfers use to create clubhead speed and square the clubface and then use external focus cues to try and mirror what they are doing in your own swing (if you are physically able to do them)?

Here's an example of external focus cues in action.

Edited by Wildthing

Looking at the above video I posted at 13:00 , the instructor mentioned 'bowing the left wrist' and creating drills to make that happen.  From what I have learned in biomechanics, the bowing of the left wrist is not the optimal way of closing the clubface. 

Check out this other video where Michael Neff (the founder of GEARS) explains why he thinks bowing of the lead wrist is a sub-optimal way. 

If the above golf instructor had more evidence (from biomechanical research) to show that a bowed lead wrist doesn't necessarily close the clubface but rather a better rotation of the lead forearm is required, he would then have to alter his external focus cue instruction.

Basically, if the instructor had a better understanding of the biomechanics of the golf swing, especially those aspects that can limit risk of injury, he would be in a better position to create more relevant external focus cues.

Note , that I do not necessarily agree with Michael Neff's opinions, but it shows that we need more evidence to show what is actually happening in the golf swing to help improve instruction.

I don't do either really, hit it or send it, those are results in my mind.      I see a path to the target and put the ball onto that path that ends at the target,  that's what I do,  and several ways to do that with several different clubs. 

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

I think sending the will allow you to make a more fluid backswing. Just like in Baseball for outfield player coaches would of say to throw through the cut off man not at him. Hitting the ball may cause you to just focus on where the ball is not finish your full swing. 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

On 8/1/2022 at 3:18 PM, MacTourney said:

I don't do either really, hit it or send it, those are results in my mind.      I see a path to the target and put the ball onto that path that ends at the target,  that's what I do,  and several ways to do that with several different clubs. 

Same here. I line up the ball standing behind it. Then see what flight path I need to take. Maybe 1-2 practice swings to feel that launch path and then try to execute that while standing over the ball. My instructor taught me to launch the ball on a path. So in essence you have to hit the ball solid while getting that ball on the path. I don't think it's really an either/or scenario. I've never really thought about a difference in hitting vs. toward the target. 

Dr. of Amateur Golf