Hit the ball vs send it to the target

I don't do either really, hit it or send it, those are results in my mind.      I see a path to the target and put the ball onto that path that ends at the target,  that's what I do,  and several ways to do that with several different clubs. 

• Like 2

The head tells the ball what to do, and the ball tells the head where to go

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

Put another way... Are you playing golf or playing scorecard? Just play golf.   

• Like 2
  • Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

I think sending the will allow you to make a more fluid backswing. Just like in Baseball for outfield player coaches would of say to throw through the cut off man not at him. Hitting the ball may cause you to just focus on where the ball is not finish your full swing. 

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

On 8/1/2022 at 3:18 PM, MacTourney said:

I don't do either really, hit it or send it, those are results in my mind.      I see a path to the target and put the ball onto that path that ends at the target,  that's what I do,  and several ways to do that with several different clubs. 

Same here. I line up the ball standing behind it. Then see what flight path I need to take. Maybe 1-2 practice swings to feel that launch path and then try to execute that while standing over the ball. My instructor taught me to launch the ball on a path. So in essence you have to hit the ball solid while getting that ball on the path. I don't think it's really an either/or scenario. I've never really thought about a difference in hitting vs. toward the target. 

• Like 1

Dr. of Amateur Golf