Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Thanks for the add. I’m getting back into golf after a 20 year break. For the last 3 to 4 years I’ve been struggling. I bought a set of maltby TE forged irons that I struggle to hit so this past winter I went to a golf galaxy and got fitted and bought a set of Tommy armor evo’s. I’m still struggling. My goal is to consistently play in the 80s but currently I’m hitting Mid90s to 105. Should I seek professional help or what training aids would you guys recommend

2 hours ago, Tommy41x said:

I’m still struggling.

Should I seek professional help or what training aids would you guys recommend

Why/Where are you struggling?   Penalties, 3 putts, can't hit tee shot, can't hit irons?  

Seeking instruction is generally a good idea.   Couldn't tell you what training aids to use since we don't know what you need to fix.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 minutes ago, Tommy41x said:

I would say consistent iron striking and chipping 

Consistent really isn't a good word to describe a problem.   I want to be more consistent with my iron striking too but that doesn't really describe or identify what I need to fix.  The golf swing is simple but complicated especially when trying to diagnose problems.   There are lots of reasons why a person may slice the ball and there are just as many fixes and the wrong one could potentially make your swing even worse.   to really diagnose and solve swing problems it would be necessary to see your swing.   If you just want to go it alone,  I'd personally suggest a tour striker plane mate or Monte Scheinblum's No Turn Cast video.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Why not try a Arccos or shot scope Tracking System which could help show you where you're loosing strokes?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2022 at 2:02 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Why not try a Arccos or shot scope Tracking System which could help show you where you're loosing strokes?

I would not waste your money on Accros spend it on getting lessons. You really need someone to look at your swing to identify any issues with it and then provide advice, tuition and generally some drills that you can do at home or on the range.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

9 hours ago, Firebird said:

I would not waste your money on Accros spend it on getting lessons. You really need someone to look at your swing to identify any issues with it and then provide advice, tuition and generally some drills that you can do at home or on the range.

Why not a combination of both.  Starting to see fitters and instructors looking at arccos type data to help students with their games. Obviously skill level comes into play as a brand new golfer wouldn’t get much value but as skill improves, looking at strokes gained type metrics could help an instructor target instruction for faster improvement.  

For the cost of a shot tracking system you could get several lessons with a pro, including a playing lesson or two.  

That would be my call.  You can easily keep basic notes when you play to give you a guide to where you are losing shots (putts, chips and approaches too short or too long, fairways missed and where etc).

If you want to get better get lessons. There are alot of training aids that may or may not work for you and to an extent required you to teach yourself how to swing. There are members on various forums that went the training aid route and didn’t get better

A good pro will show you what’s wrong, how to fix and drills to work on

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think tracking statistics in addition to lessons are the way to go. You need to figure out what is and isn’t working plus tracking how close you are to the whole, putting statistics. Also how accurate you are off the tee and what your miss is. This would further help the instructor address not only swing flaws but game management. 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I'm in a similar boat having started playing again, last year, after a long time away from the game.

I just played for a couple of months to get some sort of consistency with my swing then had a lesson to see if there were any glaring mistakes. The pro pointed out a couple of things to work on and I've come down from 24 to 12 handicap in just over 12 months.

I had a few sessions on the simulator too as it gives a good indication of gapping for my clubs which can go a long way to getting better. If you know how far you hit each club you've got a better chance on getting closer to the pin. 

I would recommend spending your money on a lesson or two and practice/play as much as you can. 

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small:CLK 19° Hybrid Speeder Evo HB S 

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 115 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..