TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is the U.S. Post Office really this messed up?

On May 19th a box of golf club shafts was delivered to the post office to be shipped to me using Priority Mail, which according to the post office is 2-3 days shipping time.   Today is May 31th and here is the latest info I have from the post office via email this morning.

May 31, 2022, 11:17 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
AUGUSTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
Your item arrived at our AUGUSTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER origin facility on May 31, 2022 at 11:17 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

May 26, 2022, 9:02 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
AIKEN, SC 29803 

May 26, 2022, 5:02 am
Arrived at Post Office
AIKEN, SC 29803 

May 25, 2022, 11:16 pm

May 23, 2022
In Transit to Next Facility

May 19, 2022, 5:14 pm
Departed Post Office
NEW ELLENTON, SC 29809 

May 19, 2022, 11:14 am
USPS in possession of item
NEW ELLENTON, SC 29809 

May 19, 2022
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

As you can see from this info the box went from NEW ELLENTON S.C. to AUGUSTA GA. in a time of SIX days. Then it went back to Aiken S.C.  and then Back to AUGUSTA GA. in another SIX days. According to Google Maps, it's only 18 miles from AUGUSTA to AIKEN. which means it took 6 days to travel a big fat 18 miles. TWICE,  I live in Colorado which is close to 1800 miles from S.C. At this rate it could take years to get to me and I could well be dead by then.  

Is this the furure of the Post Office?  Is this what customers can expect to get when they use 2-3 day Priroity Mail service from the post office? Is this what we as customers have to look forward to?  I sure hope not. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

18 minutes ago, IONEPUTT said:

On May 19th a box of golf club shafts was delivered to the post office to be shipped to me using Priority Mail, which according to the post office is 2-3 days shipping time.   Today is May 31th and here is the latest info I have from the post office via email this morning.

Your item arrived at our AUGUSTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER origin facility on May 31, 2022 at 11:17 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

May 26, 2022, 9:02 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
AIKEN, SC 29803 

May 26, 2022, 5:02 am
Arrived at Post Office
AIKEN, SC 29803 

May 25, 2022, 11:16 pm

May 23, 2022
In Transit to Next Facility

May 19, 2022, 5:14 pm
Departed Post Office
NEW ELLENTON, SC 29809 

May 19, 2022, 11:14 am
USPS in possession of item
NEW ELLENTON, SC 29809 

May 19, 2022
Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item

As you can see from this info the box went from NEW ELLENTON S.C. to AUGUSTA GA. in a time of SIX days. Then it went back to Aiken S.C.  and then Back to AUGUSTA GA. in another SIX days. According to Google Maps, it's only 18 miles from AUGUSTA to AIKEN. which means it took 6 days to travel a big fat 18 miles. TWICE,  I live in Colorado which is close to 1800 miles from S.C. At this rate it could take years to get to me and I could well be dead by then.  

Is this the furure of the Post Office?  Is this what customers can expect to get when they use 2-3 day Priroity Mail service from the post office? Is this what we as customers have to look forward to?  I sure hope not. 

Holy crap!

I got an update on my box of golf club shafts. Here is the latest info from the post office

June 1, 2022, 7:46 am
Arrived at Post Office
AIKEN, SC 29803 
Your item arrived at the Post Office at 7:46 am on June 1, 2022 in AIKEN, SC 29803.

May 31, 2022, 7:32 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility

Seems that the box went back to Aiken for a second time for "Postage Due" reasons. Seems that the Augusta folks decided more money was required so they sent the box back to Aiken again. I got a phone call from the seller this morning and he talked to a woman in Aiken post office and she told him if he wanted the box shipped to me in Colorado, they need $47 more money, Or if he wanted to pick up the box at the Aiken post office, they would only charge him another $30 to give him back the box. This is all on TOP of what he paid to have the box shipped to me using Priority Mail back on Mar 19th. What a screwed up mess for a box of shafts that weight about one pound including the box. He paid around $15 back on Mar 18th for Priority Mail, and now 2 weeks later the box is still in S.C. and they want more money.  

To add to the problem, the seller is NOT in S.C., but in Michigan for the summer and will not be back in S.C. for 4 months, so he can't pick up the shaft in Aiken even if he wanted to.   Anyone know if the Pony Express is still in business? I'm sure a stagecoach could get to me faster than this Priority Mail garbage. 

All my clubs are custom built with aftermarket shafts that have been spine and FLO aligned for max performance every swing. 

I'm afraid it will only get worse. They are buying a new route delivery fleet that is supposed to be more environmentally friendly...and the route vehicles gets less than 8 miles to the gallon.  I had medicine shipped priority mail order Rx...(ins company states more cost effective) from Missouri to Michigan. Took 6 weeks because of a side trip from Detroit to San Juan PR. It took them 2 weeks to find it in San Juan before they shipped to me after I submitted a tracker notification on a missing package.  Just unreal.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

My granddaughter got her Christmas card from us (Charleston, SC) and she lives in the Houston, TX area in March.  We mailed it two weeks prior to Christmas.  Wanted to make sure her check was on time.  Yeah, something is wrong with the system.  It happens all over the US.  We have sent items to my mother-in-law that require a signature and the carrier would sign for the item and leave the package on the front steps.  I am sure we could make one heck of a list.  With FEDES, UPS, Prime, email, Facebook, Twitter, facetime, and other social medias, I am sure they are overwhelmed with letters to deliver.  We pay 90% of our bills on line and we get cards at holidays.  The rest is mainly junk mail.  Just sayin'.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

YES. Earlier this year I shipped a driver by USPS and it took over 30 days to arrive! The buyer and myself kept tracking it, the PO was no help, but it finally arrived. I did send the buyer a partial refund, as he was so good being patient for an item he paid for and expected in a week or less. No more USPS. Now it's UPS or FedEx.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Hate to say it, but priority mail is often slower than regular first class mail, and not just because of the postage due issues you encountered. That's been true for years. Add in when you're shipping odd shaped or large packages that postage isn't figured out just on the basis of weight, and it's not surprising that there are cost errors encountered. When it comes to packages it pays to use Fedex.

Company I work for ships AV equipment around the country in large cases and boxes, and using the USPS would never be considered unless for some reason you want the delivery to be delayed. Even though you get amazon and other etail packages delivered by the post office, they only handle the last mile for the most part.

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

It looks like shipper error. There is no way a box of golf shafts can go priority for 15 bucks, and no one at a window service would charged and accepted an oversize (for priority) box of shafts at that rate.  He slapped a prepaid on it or something.

In the interest of full disclosure, I worked at ups and usps years ago. I could tell stories about all of them.  In my experience, UPS is usually slowest.  Your package sits on weekends.  If you order on a Sunday, usually works well though.  But I had a UPS package take 5 days to get from Las Vegas to Denver, sit in Denver all weekend, fly to Dallas and back in the same day before coming from Denver to Grand Junction the next day.

The worst? UPS sure post. Low priority to end city, then goes in the mail.

I think I get the best results buying from the UK with DHL shipping.  LOL 

Callaway Epic Max driver

Callaway Big Bertha 3 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 4-6 hybrids

Callaway Mavrik Max 7-AW irons

Callaway MD 5 sand and lob wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab Doublewide putter

I feel that all of the carriers have gone down hill. I’m currently waiting on a pair of golf shoes that I ordered on May 23rd. They were shipped via FedEx on the 26th from Wichita, Kansas and arrived in New Berlin, Wisconsin on the 29th. They were supposed to be delivered to my house in Iowa on the 29th. Totally overshot that one. The package is currently sitting in Chicago, arrived there on the 31st, where they had to have a new shipping label put on because the barcode was unreadable. FedEx says that they are scheduled to be delivered to me tomorrow. Of course, it originally said the 29th, then the 31st, then June 1st, and now June 2nd. At least I’m kept up to date that it keeps getting pushed back. 🤷🏼‍♂️

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

My Uncle sent me a tracked item from Sydney. It hit Chicago customs a week ago and is still sitting there. I could drive 6 hours and pick it up myself.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I’ve given up on the useless postal service for my business and personal shipping. Priority Mail is a joke.

I’ve had orders arrive in 5-25 days, that were supposed to be 3-days. Forget any other usps service, you may never see it.

I’ve had clubs finally arrive, and two that never got there. I even had a computer with insured priority Mail express “vanish.” 

Working with them is like a attending developmentally disabled workshop (and those people would be smarter and more motivated).

The postmaster is the textbook definition of cronyism…

Louis DeJoy (born June 20, 1957) is an American businessman serving as the 75th U.S. postmaster general. He was appointed in May 2020 by the Board of Governors of the United States Postal Service (USPS). Prior to the appointment, he was the founder and CEOof the logistics and freight company New Breed Logistics and was a major Republican Partydonor and fundraiser. DeJoy is the first postmaster in two decades without prior experience in the USPS.[2] Controversially,[3]his companies still hold active service contracts with the USPS.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

17 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

My granddaughter got her Christmas card from us (Charleston, SC) and she lives in the Houston, TX area in March.  We mailed it two weeks prior to Christmas.  Wanted to make sure her check was on time.  Yeah, something is wrong with the system.  It happens all over the US.  We have sent items to my mother-in-law that require a signature and the carrier would sign for the item and leave the package on the front steps.  I am sure we could make one heck of a list.  With FEDES, UPS, Prime, email, Facebook, Twitter, facetime, and other social medias, I am sure they are overwhelmed with letters to deliver.  We pay 90% of our bills on line and we get cards at holidays.  The rest is mainly junk mail.  Just sayin'.  

And USPS rates are going up. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I don't know if it was shipper error on not, but the seller told me he has been shipping shafts in the same size box for over 25 years and this is the first time he has had any problems with the boxes coming back with postage due issues.  He told me there was a NEW guy at his post office the day he shipped out about 40 boxes of shafts, so maybe that is the problem.  It's a 48 x6 x6 box that he has been using for years with no issues until now. I do NOT know how much he paid to ship the box, but I paid $15 shipping, so I assume that is close to what he paid, could have been a little more or less, Either way the extra $47 they wanted to ship the shafts to me is way too much. 

Unfortunately due to the surcharge the USPS is putting on longer boxes, I had to quit using them entirely.  UPS/Fedex will deliver a package for $9-10 that the USPS wants $20-$30 to ship.  

My bag is a revolving door!

1 hour ago, 03trdblack said:

Unfortunately due to the surcharge the USPS is putting on longer boxes, I had to quit using them entirely.  UPS/Fedex will deliver a package for $9-10 that the USPS wants $20-$30 to ship.  

Check out pirate ship. I’ve been using it for quite some time with great success and saving a decent amount of money shipping out sold items 

https://www.pirateship.com

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

3 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Check out pirate ship. I’ve been using it for quite some time with great success and saving a decent amount of money shipping out sold items 

https://www.pirateship.com

That's exactly who I use but if the package has long length dimensions, they tack on that surcharge for USPS there also. 

My bag is a revolving door!

13 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

That's exactly who I use but if the package has long length dimensions, they tack on that surcharge for USPS there also. 

Sorry to hear that. So far I haven’t had the issues even with selling drivers and shafts 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 6/1/2022 at 8:54 PM, ParFore74x said:

I feel that all of the carriers have gone down hill.

In that their volumes are up across the board, and they can't hire as many people as they need - it only makes sense. There's a lot of competition in shipping, so their margins aren't that large. USPS has the added problem of turning in losses year after year while not being allowed to do anything to improve their situation - they're at the mercy of an independent political commission (PRC) to change anything. They don't get subsidized by taxpayers, but they can't run the business as they see fit either.

Furthermore and this is a big reason, USPS is legally required to service first class mail - a segment that's been nearly wiped out by the internet, and is mostly down to low revenue junk mail. Not that they'd want to but FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. are not allowed to service first class mail - if they were forced to handle first class mail their service would suffer too, they couldn't begin to handle first class mail delivery for 58¢ per piece like USPS is forced to. [I am always amazed at people who whine when postage goes up a few cents every once in a while - 58¢ is too much to move a letter from anywhere to anywhere else in the US?]

I'm not saying service is always good or improving, I'm saying that there are systemic reasons service is erratic beyond incompetence or stupidity. USPS has their hands tied like no other delivery service.

And while there are bonafide horror stories like the OPs, we all know most packages to make it to their destinations in reasonable time or sometimes faster.

No I've never been associated with any delivery service.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

23 hours ago, Middler said:

In that their volumes are up across the board, and they can't hire as many people as they need - it only makes sense. There's a lot of competition in shipping, so their margins aren't that large. USPS has the added problem of turning in losses year after year while not being allowed to do anything to improve their situation - they're at the mercy of an independent political commission (PRC) to change anything. They don't get subsidized by taxpayers, but they can't run the business as they see fit either.

Furthermore and this is a big reason, USPS is stuck with first class mail which has fallen off a cliff, but they have to service that segment. Not that they'd want to but FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. are not allowed to service first class mail - if they were forced to handle first class mail their service would suffer too, they couldn't begin to handle first class mail delivery for 58¢ per piece like USPS is forced to.

I'm not saying service is always good or improving, I'm saying that there are systemic reasons service is erratic beyond incompetence or stupidity. USPS has their hands tied like no other delivery service.

And while there are bonafide horror stories like the OPs, we all know most packages to make it to their destinations in reasonable time or sometimes faster.

No I've never been associated with any delivery service.

You definitely nailed that about USPS, quite insightful. It seems like it doesn’t matter what they do, things just don’t improve for them either. I remember how they seemed to be so predictable and reliable when I was younger. As the world continues to speed up and people want everything right now, USPS struggles to keep up.

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black