Golftec lessons--advice?

Have had both great and bad experiences with Golftec.  About 7 years ago I started with one of their instructors whose dad owned the local franchise.  The kid played college golf on full scholarship and he instantly got that my swing was mostly derived from playing hockey growing up.  He had me to a 6 handicap and fit me with clubs I am still using.

Fast forward to the beginning of the pandemic.  Signed up for a lesson package and was paired with a very young guy who was an OK instructor who quit a couple of momths in and left me in the hands of an even younger kids who kept showing me videos of a 20 something TIger and telling me my swing should look like that.  He changed everything about my grip, swing path, posture, everything.  I went from a 6 to a 10 almost overnight and have stayed there these last two summers. 

Golftec recently contacted me with yet another inexperienced coach and wanted me to sign into the full $1200 package.  I haven't returned their phone call.  I just feel that I need a more experienced voice in my ear. 

• Like 1

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

In my life I've spent thousands of Dollars$$$ on lessons for Tennis 1st and then Golf, I was a much better Tennis player than I'll ever be a golfer. But golf requires a lot more work and timing than tennis, club head size being the biggest obstacle. Coaches in sports come in many configurations and the problem is finding one that you can understand and work with, to start with learning about how you can change the clubs to help you hitting the ball with top spin slice etc. I used to string my tennis racket very loose and added lead weights, now I'm adding lead tape and mid grips etc but not really keen on lessons as I don't think my body can swing the same tomorrow as I do today. I've been learning about customizing clubs to get better numbers but I'd be ok paying for a fitting if that fitter knows what he'r is doing...

• Like 1

I had a poor experience with golf tech. It's a one size fits all approach and they're trying to sell a limited stock of expensive U. S. market goods. One thing, they can't get Japanese equipment. Another, like most manufacturers they assume if you have low clubhead speed you're not very good or have a number of swing flaws. I'm a slow swinger who occasionally shoots in the 60s. During initial intake the guy was incredulous and arrogant. I was looking for very specific things. They wanted to go elsewhere. We did a 10 shot test and I hit ten drives 205 yards right on top of each other and it was clear they couldn't or wouldn't or weren't capable to work with me at the level I was looking for. Mostly I just video my own swing and look for the shafts, clubheads and wedges I want and need between the cracks.

I had a close friend who's very gifted at golf and has a limited knowledge of the swing who got screwed up with them as well. 

It's a system thing. They have a hard time dealing with idiosyncrasies. 

• Like 1

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

14 hours ago, Andrew75 said:

I had a poor experience with golf tech. It's a one size fits all approach and they're trying to sell a limited stock of expensive U. S. market goods. One thing, they can't get Japanese equipment. Another, like most manufacturers they assume if you have low clubhead speed you're not very good or have a number of swing flaws. I'm a slow swinger who occasionally shoots in the 60s. During initial intake the guy was incredulous and arrogant. I was looking for very specific things. They wanted to go elsewhere. We did a 10 shot test and I hit ten drives 205 yards right on top of each other and it was clear they couldn't or wouldn't or weren't capable to work with me at the level I was looking for. Mostly I just video my own swing and look for the shafts, clubheads and wedges I want and need between the cracks.

I had a close friend who's very gifted at golf and has a limited knowledge of the swing who got screwed up with them as well. 

It's a system thing. They have a hard time dealing with idiosyncrasies. 

idiosyncrasies. 

Amen to that, I became friends with 2 golf Pro's in Sydney and I'm now disappointed with the lack of advise when playing with them. I think all Pro's need newbies because until they have alot of experience they can't see how to make small changes for big results, and even then it's like those changes are secrets they won't share because the pupil will be too good and STOP the lessons and no more money. One I went away with 2 other guys for 4 days golf in the Hunter valley, I went for 2 days golf with another Pro who didn't play but drove a cart with our clubs on and gave us pointers with most shots we hit. That's the biggest improvement I made in 30 years playing golf by far...