Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What you guys think of this drill ?

I think the clock motion to get the idea of the swing plane and correction that should be made in addition to a stronger positioned grip Is key. From personal experience alone the stronger grip made a huge difference

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I tried this drill today for fun. And only issue I have with it is a feeling of picking the club straight up in front of me. It makes me feel like the club is swung counter clockwise going back. Versus the old traditional clockwise feeling of the hands and arms. Will really take some getting use to for sure. I really had to turn on the backswing if not I hit some viscous low and left and short duck hooks. Really felt loopy action to me. Which I never ever felt before. Almost like swinging a chain. If I took the chain back traditional it would hit me every time. I would have to counter swing it 

Not sure who it was. But I watched a video where the pro said he sees a counter clockwise back swing motion in all great players of this game in the backswing. Which does force one to automatically slot the club in the downswing for sure 

1 hour ago, Goober said:

I tried this drill today for fun. And only issue I have with it is a feeling of picking the club straight up in front of me. It makes me feel like the club is swung counter clockwise going back. Versus the old traditional clockwise feeling of the hands and arms. Will really take some getting use to for sure. I really had to turn on the backswing if not I hit some viscous low and left and short duck hooks. Really felt loopy action to me. Which I never ever felt before. Almost like swinging a chain. If I took the chain back traditional it would hit me every time. I would have to counter swing it 

Not sure who it was. But I watched a video where the pro said he sees a counter clockwise back swing motion in all great players of this game in the backswing. Which does force one to automatically slot the club in the downswing for sure 

With any drill, how you hit the ball is not important.  It's only to help you get the feeling of a new movement that is more different than your usual movement.  

I'm not recommending or against this drill, but the idea of the drill is to help you feel a different downswing path.  If you continue to do the drill, take a few swings without a ball then a few with a ball.  Don't get frustrated with where the ball goes.  Then take a few "normal" swings trying to match the feeling that you got from the drill at the top of and during the downswing.  Repeat the drill a few times and then repeat a few normal swings.  Your swing during/after the drill should feel weird, you are doing something different than what you have always done.  Eventually, as you start coming more from the inside on the downswing, you should feel less weirdness and see better ball flight.  Best of luck!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

34 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

With any drill, how you hit the ball is not important.  It's only to help you get the feeling of a new movement that is more different than your usual movement.  

I'm not recommending or against this drill, but the idea of the drill is to help you feel a different downswing path.  If you continue to do the drill, take a few swings without a ball then a few with a ball.  Don't get frustrated with where the ball goes.  Then take a few "normal" swings trying to match the feeling that you got from the drill at the top of and during the downswing.  Repeat the drill a few times and then repeat a few normal swings.  Your swing during/after the drill should feel weird, you are doing something different than what you have always done.  Eventually, as you start coming more from the inside on the downswing, you should feel less weirdness and see better ball flight.  Best of luck!

I was never a slicer .. but miss was a block push. This feels extremely from the inside. And feels so flippy hand wise. I really feel like I’m coming a mile from the inside. But have to say that this seems to automatically activate one’s lower body. I have massive rotation thru the ball now 

3 minutes ago, Goober said:

I was never a slicer .. but miss was a block push. This feels extremely from the inside. And feels so flippy hand wise. I really feel like I’m coming a mile from the inside. But have to say that this seems to automatically activate one’s lower body. I have massive rotation thru the ball now 

If you were never a slicer, then why try Haney's drill for slicers?  Doing a drill for something you don't do can lead to more swing faults.

Coming too far from the inside is just as bad and not coming from the inside.  This is why an experienced pro is the best choice to see what's going on in your swing.  None of us can evaluate what you are doing or not doing based on what you say is going on.  My advice is don't go down the rabbit hole chasing fixes when you don't know what's really causing your issue; that can make things worse.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

25 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

If you were never a slicer, then why try Haney's drill for slicers?  Doing a drill for something you don't do can lead to more swing faults.

Coming too far from the inside is just as bad and not coming from the inside.  This is why an experienced pro is the best choice to see what's going on in your swing.  None of us can evaluate what you are doing or not doing based on what you say is going on.  My advice is don't go down the rabbit hole chasing fixes when you don't know what's really causing your issue; that can make things worse.

Agree Kenny. But oddly this feels like it could be such a powerful move. It feels like my whole body is in the shot now. It really feels like the most powerful move in golf that I’ve tried so far. Feels so explosive. But it’s just a feel , have no idea what it looks like on video. 

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Agree Kenny. But oddly this feels like it could be such a powerful move. It feels like my whole body is in the shot now. It really feels like the most powerful move in golf that I’ve tried so far. Feels so explosive. But it’s just a feel , have no idea what it looks like on video. 

It’s counter productive to your issue. Slicers comes form over the top and have an out to in path. This drill is to fox that type of swing.

Coming too far from the inside is a block or push fade for those who can’t close the face or don’t make enough compensation with the body to get the club square. The other miss in a pull. The two way miss is common for too inside of a swing.

More than likely what’s happening in your club is too flat in the backswing or is off plane on some other manned and you steepen the club in transition. Only options are to have the club get stuck and cause one to early extend or dip the trail shoulder.

This drill isn’t going to fix those and might make it worse. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s counter productive to your issue. Slicers comes form over the top and have an out to in path. This drill is to fox that type of swing.

Coming too far from the inside is a block or push fade for those who can’t close the face or don’t make enough compensation with the body to get the club square. The other miss in a pull. The two way miss is common for too inside of a swing.

More than likely what’s happening in your club is too flat in the backswing or is off plane on some other manned and you steepen the club in transition. Only options are to have the club get stuck and cause one to early extend or dip the trail shoulder.

This drill isn’t going to fix those and might make it worse. 

Good analysis. I’m not sure why I block it at times. And honestly Ricky , I never use video. I just go by ball flight and where I contact the ball on the club 

17 hours ago, Goober said:

Good analysis. I’m not sure why I block it at times. And honestly Ricky , I never use video. I just go by ball flight and where I contact the ball on the club 

Face contact is something good to look at but let’s say you hit the center of the face, and the ball starts right and keep going right? What does the face contact tell you? Ball flight will tell you face was open, but without any swing data from a launch monitor or video you have no idea why or what to do to correct it? If you can’t see what you are doing how do you know what to change?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Bingo!!! Been looking for something that will stop me from "Coming from Over The Top" ..... even took up Sailing!!

Went back to Golf[ kind of hard to Sail on the Prairies] & do hit it decent but hit it "Less Than Long" because I started to SLICE with my Driver& 3 Wood again!! Fudge!!!

Made Money when I hooked!! Nothing wrong with being a "Hooker"!! 

Not sure how I found this one. But this really feels like the above drill I posted.I watched this video about a dozen times and tried deciphering it as best as possible. But I do believe he is talking and demonstrating the same thing 

7 hours ago, Goober said:

Not sure how I found this one. But this really feels like the above drill I posted.I watched this video about a dozen times and tried deciphering it as best as possible. But I do believe he is talking and demonstrating the same thing 

Yes and no. The earlier video you posted is an exaggeration drill to fix a swing flaw. This isn’t necessarily the same thing but more of talking about how the club actually moves.

The problem is you don’t know what you are trying to fix. You don’t know if your problem is an open face, whether that’s because of grip, swing flaw in the takeaway/backswing, some combo of all of that.

If you don’t use video or have a high quality launch monitor and can determine based on the numbers you get from it, you are guessing at the problem and going to end up searching for videos and fixes that may or may not work.

Instead of trying to find some magic pill in a video you should find a local golf pro to work with or one online. There are lots of good ones for under $100 on skillest. This will save you time and possible frustration 

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Instead of trying to find some magic pill in a video you should find a local golf pro to work with

@Goober I'm not an instructor and not a pro but I absolutely have to emphatically agree with ^this^ statement.

But I do know enough to know that regular golfers CANNOT self-diagnose the root cause of a swing flaw. Even the tour pros have swing coaches!

Randomly digging up different YouTube videos is NOT going to help you -- the instructors in those videos are not seeing *your* swing, so the "fix" they are presenting is very likely _not_ appropriate for your unique, specific situation.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had my 2nd in person lesson today. And glad the teacher is doing these changes in stages. Versus all at once. But today he told me to close the clubface with both hands at the start of the transition into the follow thru. One thing I learned, if I don’t rotate massively thru the ball.It will be missed left of left on an course. It did solve my push for sure. But it’s odd how closed the club face feels and so delofted Into the ball and beyond. He told me I’m creating a proper impact feel and position without forcing it at the ball. But imho it’s still forcing a conscious move of closing the face. Versus just letting it happen  

With all I have going on between my ears after all these lessons. I managed to shoot a nice 81 today. Letting the club head freely release “aka a flip release versus hold off” has easily netted me 5 plus yards on my drives. The Irons still feel very awkward doing this. Will keep on grinding 

Played a very difficult/ extremely narrow and long course today. The score wasn’t the best by any means. But the driver is out there 265-275 now consistently. Not bad for almost 60. Some off kilter irons hurt me. But if I just improve my iron contact even slightly.. it would be such a more relaxing game from 275 off the tee. Versus 240-245.Most irons were pulled or even a few were far.Which is to be expected per my teacher.From my new setup / backswing / and ball position it’s like a whole new game for me.When the ball is on a tee it’s fine.But off the fairway or rough it’s a little tougher.Have to trust it and let my body figure a way to get to the ball again.Thirty plus years of doing it one way won’t be changed over night 

Edited by Goober

Had an impromptu lesson.(Actually, the teacher came up to me on the range and gave me some free advice). Adding to my regime of thoughts and feels. The instructor had me stand a touch closer and move the ball farther forward in my stance for all golf shots.The standing closer is a great anti push setup the instructor has me working on now. And his final addition was do all I can feeling I’m coming over the top of the ball. Feel like I’m hitting the outside of the ball. Really feels like I’m going to swipe the ball a 100 yards left now. With the forward stance and over the top focus into the ball. I asked the instructor to never show me my swing from his videos. But he said I suffered a Ben hogan/ Sam Snead affiliation of slotting the club so much in transition. That I was beyond stuck. He said the feeling of coming over the top as much as I can will free me up. And would even prefer if I have a steeper transition into the ball. The driver is going farther than I’ve hit it in a very long long time. The irons, albeit solid, are flying left of left. And even hit some fats on the range as well. I know it is a process and not a race to the finish line. Will take me a while to really feel comfortable with these changes. Flexing myself to be as over the top as possible seems so counter productive at this point. But it does feel so powerful 

Just want to add that it is easily going to take me all this season and maybe all next season to really grasp this stuff. I’m hopeful it will work for the best. And in the meantime I just have to fight my way thru the higher scores and offline shots 

Not sure if anyone even reads these threads. But I’m using this as my personal “ self discovery “ of the game doing lessons first time in decades. This video really sums up what a local teaching pro is showing me. I know watching YouTube videos maybe isn’t the best option while taking lessons. And forgive me for that.. but this one really makes sense as odd as it seems 

https://youtu.be/Hyg8JnagdtU

I tried to follow him on a couple of different websites but If anyone can understand Martin Ayers explanation of the golf swing they must be from a different planet. Hank Haney has promoted numerous swing aids and techniques over the years.

Epic speed driver

sxiron 3 wood

Tour Edge hybrid 

PXG irons

Mizuno Wedges

SC Putter 

This drill seems a bit confusing.  He probably gets it to work with people live.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

3 hours ago, Tlhayes67 said:

I tried to follow him on a couple of different websites but If anyone can understand Martin Ayers explanation of the golf swing they must be from a different planet. Hank Haney has promoted numerous swing aids and techniques over the years.

Not sure about that guy either. But this guy seems more in realm with what my teacher is saying . It seems counter intuitive. But I’m really banging the driver way out there. Irons are a little suspect. And have to say I’ve been fighting pulls and fat pills with my irons 

On 7/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, Goober said:

Not sure if anyone even reads these threads.

I like to look into these threads from time to time just to see how others see the game and execute its properties.      If you want my comments here's a couple.    Haney is wrong when saying "nowhere on the road to good golf is the slice".  If a slice appears out of nowhere then obviously that's not good.  But if a slice is needed to carry a green from behind an obstacle, and one can execute that flight pattern on demand, the ability to do so is precisely what's required on a road to good golf, but just my opinion. 

If I had better video clarity with angle, and sound, I might wager from the low ball flight that Haney stubbed his attempt, he dropped kicked it a touch.   

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

Added another lesson in this weekend. This one was very complex. And even the teacher said that this new lesson is will be very high level swing change stuff added to my improved swing mechanics. We first discussed what he called “ stressing the shaft “ or adding “ snap” in a swing. It feels like I’m recoiling the club in transaction and makes it feel super whippy approaching the ball now. Almost like cracking a bull whip in feel (which I never did) to create a snap sound at the bottom. But what it supposedly does is make your whole swing feel more dynamic.. or reflexive. It works wonders with my short irons. But any mid irons up to driver have been a disaster. I feel like being wide to wide have been my go to for mid to long iron shots. This feels real choppy and too laggy for my liking. But i will work on it and see what the results will be. Really feel like swing lessons are like belts you receive in karate. Im thinking I’m still in the white belt. But getting ready to move up in the rankings. Hahah 

this new lesson really changed every thing. It’s maybe too radical for me 

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Added another lesson in this weekend. This one was very complex. And even the teacher said that this new lesson is will be very high level swing change stuff added to my improved swing mechanics. We first discussed what he called “ stressing the shaft “ or adding “ snap” in a swing. It feels like I’m recoiling the club in transaction and makes it feel super whippy approaching the ball now. Almost like cracking a bull whip in feel (which I never did) to create a snap sound at the bottom. But what it supposedly does is make your whole swing feel more dynamic.. or reflexive. It works wonders with my short irons. But any mid irons up to driver have been a disaster. I feel like being wide to wide have been my go to for mid to long iron shots. This feels real choppy and too laggy for my liking. But i will work on it and see what the results will be. Really feel like swing lessons are like belts you receive in karate. Im thinking I’m still in the white belt. But getting ready to move up in the rankings. Hahah 

this new lesson really changed every thing. It’s maybe too radical for me 

Not sure I understand the intent of what he is getting to you do, but it does sounds like a big change to your swing.   I am glad that my lessons have been doing more simple things like trying to stop the backswing when I feel like the shaft is vertical (to shorten and prevent me from going over the line at the top) and to move the ball back in my stance.  Has really improved 3W-LW ball striking.....driver has gotten a little off now.   Kinda think I am going to run out of things to tweak before I reach the end of my lesson series.  🤪

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Not sure I understand the intent of what he is getting to you do, but it does sounds like a big change to your swing.   I am glad that my lessons have been doing more simple things like trying to stop the backswing when I feel like the shaft is vertical (to shorten and prevent me from going over the line at the top) and to move the ball back in my stance.  Has really improved 3W-LW ball striking.....driver has gotten a little off now.   Kinda think I am going to run out of things to tweak before I reach the end of my lesson series.  🤪

It’s really a lot now. Doing this in stages. But this last one will be very very hard to implement . The ball flight for mid to longer irons are a disaster now 

46 minutes ago, Goober said:

It’s really a lot now. Doing this in stages. But this last one will be very very hard to implement . The ball flight for mid to longer irons are a disaster now 

Were you able to do this successfully prior to leaving your lesson?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Were you able to do this successfully prior to leaving your lesson?

No… he told me this will be very difficult . All this manipulating and forcing positions is a killer for me . But I will keep progressing as best as I can. If I played now , I would probably give up on this immediately. I see tons of validity in it. And i have the time to work on it. But I really think this will take easily this season and maybe best to really grasp it