Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

Ping Ballnamic Recommendation

I have tried lots of balls over the past couple years of getting more into golf.  MGS has had a major influence on this (used to just play the best ball I could find in my bag that day).  So far I've taken a lot of time with the Bridgestone Tour BX, the Snell MTB-X, Cut-Blue, Pro-V1, Maxfli Tour, and Srixon Z-Star Divide.  Cut-Blue and Maxfli Tour were both really, really good for the money.  Tour BX (older model) and MTB-X both were fine, but nothing special.  Pro-V1 was very good all around.  I played Z-Star Divide for a good while simply because it provided such invaluable visual feedback on putting.  Then, on a whim, I tried Ping's Ballnamic ball fitting.  I had swing data I could put in from a club fitting I did last year.  It recommended the Chromesoft X (newest model) for me, which was pretty surprising (Tour BX and Pro-V1X were 2nd and 3rd recommendations).  So, I went ahead and bought a sleeve and played them side-by-side with the Z-Star Divide I had been playing most recently.  It was definitely a great recommendation.  The biggest surprise was the extra distance I got on drives - 5-15 yards extra distance when both were hit well (and this was a pretty good sample size).  All of the other factors were also good for me - high greenside spin, not super hard feel, good but not super-spinny off of irons.  I certainly haven't noticed any inconsistencies from ball to ball or anything like that.  I'm confident I'm playing the best ball for my game and would highly recommend anyone do that ball fitting. 

I'm around a 10 handicap (short game weakness) with a 107-112 mph driver swing.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

Thanks for sharing and glad the recommendations are working out. I have no doubt that the PING engineers and the modelling/testing that went into this tool work very well. $40 was a bit steep for my tastes but 5 to 15 yards feels worth it personally. Looks like you found the ball for you this year. What options were a available for current ball, I know some were missing originally (such as Left Dash) so hoping some of those have been added.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

I know some were missing originally (such as Left Dash) so hoping some of those have been added.

Left Dash is in there. I won a Ballnamic fitting as a giveaway and it was good validation for what I had already generally known. However, what it gave me in more concrete terms was the specific areas where each of the recommendations would shine (or not) as well as the relative match of my current gamer to their recommendations. Left Dash, CSX, and Tour BX were all in my Top 5 with just north of 90% match, but my gamer (Maxfli Tour) wasn't far behind at an 88% match. 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour

Ball: ProV1x Left Dash, Chromesoft X LS
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

41 minutes ago, GregGarner said:

Left Dash is in there. I won a Ballnamic fitting as a giveaway and it was good validation for what I had already generally known. However, what it gave me in more concrete terms was the specific areas where each of the recommendations would shine (or not) as well as the relative match of my current gamer to their recommendations. Left Dash, CSX, and Tour BX were all in my Top 5 with just north of 90% match, but my gamer (Maxfli Tour) wasn't far behind at an 88% match. 

That's great to hear and sounds like some useful information in there beyond just the recommendation made on which ball to play, but you can pick from a couple based on that other data.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2022 at 10:29 AM, GregGarner said:

Are you able to vary some of the parameters to get a few different sets of results? I usually play twilight but occasionally play early on weekends. Would be nice to compare dry conditions vs wet for when dew sweeping. Also spend time between 2 regions with 2000' elevation difference and different turf/humidity. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX 9* Driver

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:touredgeexotics: CBX 119 16* 2 hyb

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Tuttle / :edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I also took the plunge and did this test. You do get 5 fittings for the money, and I've used 4 of them so far. My current gamer is the Z-Star and it actually came out a decent ball for me. I think this is because it is a very stable ball in the wind, and it had the best greenside performance out of any ball they recommended. What else was interesting was that out of the 4 tests I did, 4 out of the 5 balls were the same, and the #1 ball 3 of the 4 times was the Z-Star Diamond. The other 3 balls that were always recommended were the Pro V1x, Bridgestone BX, and Snell MTB-X along side the Diamond. One time I got a Volvik ball, once the Vice Pro Plus, and the Left Dash.

While it did say that I would gain roughly 8 yards on the drive by switching to Pro V1x or BX, they did note I would also lose greenside performance with those balls. Which is something I already knew from trying them in the past. I was already interested in trying Snell and I've heard the Diamond is supposed to be a very good ball and blend elements of both the regular Z and the XV. I'd rather have the control and short game performance I like over ~8 more yards off the tee. But I think that's why the Diamond and Snell kept coming up #1 & #2, that they are a little firmer so I get a bit of gains of the tee, without sacrificing the short game. 

I also want to note that out of all 8-10 balls I was recommended, there was negligible difference on the irons. At most 2 yards in distance, and a few feet of rollout, mostly with the X balls.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

13 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Are you able to vary some of the parameters to get a few different sets of results? I usually play twilight but occasionally play early on weekends. Would be nice to compare dry conditions vs wet for when dew sweeping. Also spend time between 2 regions with 2000' elevation difference and different turf/humidity. 

7 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I also took the plunge and did this test. You do get 5 fittings for the money, and I've used 4 of them so far.

Yep! I know my numbers, so of the 5 'fittings' you get, I did one with numbers and one without (you just put do you hit it high/low, etc instead of saying your launch angle is X degrees) and I tested against my main gamer balls. Would DEFINITELY be worth your while to run the test for different altitude conditions. I heard an interview with Jertsen (inventor of Ballnamic) and they were talking about just how significant altitude is on ball performance such that some Tour pros will change balls if making a significant altitude change. And if there's one thing we know about pros, they don't like to change anything. Basically ever. I mean, Spieth played the same ball for FOUR years

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour

Ball: ProV1x Left Dash, Chromesoft X LS
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

This is the first time I've heard the term Ping Ballnamic (including link for others). I participated in the Titleist on-line/interview program we had a couple years ago... though, surprisingly, only Titleist balls were recommended (PV1 and AVX) 😆.  So other than being brand agnostic, what makes this ball fitting process shine?  I see you provide them free data (that presumably builds their data sets and algorithms) then pay $39 to see the results.  

Since I have had a pretty challenging time narrowing down a single or two "best balls", I'm debating whether a studio ball fitting session would be a better investment?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

This is the first time I've heard the term Ping Ballnamic (including link for others). I participated in the Titleist on-line/interview program we had a couple years ago... though, surprisingly, only Titleist balls were recommended (PV1 and AVX) 😆.  So other than being brand agnostic, what makes this ball fitting process shine?  I see you provide them free data (that presumably builds their data sets and algorithms) then pay $39 to see the results.  

Since I have had a pretty challenging time narrowing down a single or two "best balls", I'm debating whether a studio ball fitting session would be a better investment?

There is no point to a ball fitting on an indoor sim other than a bit of spin info. You can't assess the flight of the ball from the effect on the cover. Pretty sure the MGS ball lab had all the balls launch between 0.5 degrees (max 1 deg) vertical off the club with a robot. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

1 hour ago, BMart519 said:

There is no point to a ball fitting on an indoor sim other than a bit of spin info. You can't assess the flight of the ball from the effect on the cover. Pretty sure the MGS ball lab had all the balls launch between 0.5 degrees (max 1 deg) vertical off the club with a robot. 

So what we really need is a Skytrak system at a range dedicated to ball tests... well that and some ball sorters.  

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

So what we really need is a Skytrak system at a range dedicated to ball tests... well that and some ball sorters.  

You need something far more accurate than skytrak (camera) - likely a doppler radar based system to capture full flight. So basically the MGS ball test and Ballnamic...

Turns out on course testing is actually the simplest for a recreational golfer. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

My final determination of what ball I will be gaming is how well it works around the greens. Could have tons of distance, but what good is it if you can't get close to the hole, or even to keep it on the green? I have said before about high handicappers that use 3-5 piece balls, just to lose them off the tee, and that great spin that is supposed to help you around the green, rears it ugly head off the tee. Can get a little expensive, to say the least! Been down that route. Playing a 2 piece with good distance, and has really nice manners around the green...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

9 hours ago, BMart519 said:

You need something far more accurate than skytrak (camera) - likely a doppler radar based system to capture full flight. So basically the MGS ball test and Ballnamic...

Turns out on course testing is actually the simplest for a recreational golfer. 

I've been trying the on-course approach, playing H2H, 2-ball rounds when I can.  No clear stand outs.