TESTERS WANTED! ×

How to get rid of self-talk during the swing

As avid golfers, we often know too much and over analyze our golf swings. What I realized today, especially on the backswing, I do a lot of self-talk. Such as oh, you are taking it on the outside again or that's a sway. This can't be good. What is a good way to get rid of the self-talk during the swing, so it becomes more fluid?

Some simple ways are having a thought box/practice swing box for all the thoughts and feels then have a swing box over the shot where there are no thoughts because you just did all that before you addressed the ball

Another approach is what GG teaches. Away from the ball you take everything in relax, determine what shot you want to hit create a feel for that then go into a place where you visualize the shot, clear out all thoughts and things around you, he says he almost goes to sleep when he does this then approach the ball and execute. This doesn’t take long as a pre shot routine (this is similar to what Jason day does, he’s just super long about it)

Alsd go read Dr Bob Rotella’s books

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1.  Develop a golf phrase or mantra.  For every swing, practice, real, full, partial, drive, putt etc.  repeat the same phrase I your mind.  Mine is “To the target.”  It keeps your conscious mind occupied so you can’t interfere with your swing.  Start to use it by saying the phrase out loud on all shots, then get to where you say it only on your thoughts.  It also helps with tempo.

other examples of such phrases:  one and two, tick tock, one two three ( in waltz or 3/4 time.)

2. If you have a hard time adjusting to a  golf phrase, adopt a nonsense phrase (non golf related) and start it at the same time in your pre shot routine.  One book recommended “Mary had a little lamb, I wish that I had one.”  Focusing on the phrase frees you up to swing rather than concentrating on the process.  

When on  the course, the best approach is to forget about ANY swing thoughts.  You need to trust your swing de jour and play to enjoy the game; it is a game after all.  If you have a bad shot, do not think it was because of this or that; then change something in your swing.  You will end up with a mess of a swing.  Pros hit bad shots; it happens.  They don't change anything; just hit the next shot, and so should you.

Any thoughts you should have before a shot should be focused on where you want the ball to go; NOT where you DON"T want the ball to go.  The brain doesn't understand negatives.  If you think "there is water on the right", the brain remembers "right" so guess what??  Instead, think of an aim point that puts you in the left center of the fairway.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, alfriday101 said:

Focusing on the phrase frees you up to swing rather than concentrating on the process.

Tom Watson suggests humming (to yourself) "Edelweiss" (you know .. from The Sound of Music).

Personally I like to use.. "Baaack .. and .. THROUGH!" on full swing and "One .. Two" on short game.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 6/3/2022 at 10:25 PM, Kenny B said:

When on  the course, the best approach is to forget about ANY swing thoughts.  You need to trust your swing de jour and play to enjoy the game

Yes! A very high level instructor told me - first time I'd heard it but now I know it's more common ...

"You practice golf swing at the range. You play the game of golf on the course."

👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Picture the ball going where you intend it to go (ie. its trajectory in the air and towards a target), then swing with a feel intent to match that picture.  It's really very difficult to master (like I've mentioned in my 'Shawn Clement vs Dr Kwon' thread). But when it works and the ball goes exactly how you pictured it would fly, it feels quite exhilarating.

• 1 month later...

Just learned to go with "feels" rather than "self talk" and also believe in Thought box/swing box.  As a feel example, If I feel my weight shift to back foot in practice swing will be able to repeat weight shift in actual swing.  In putting work on speed with feels.   Talking too myself just didn't work for me.            

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Think Box/Play Box. Behind the ball in the think Box, talk to yourself a lot. Lie, wind, target, shot shape. 

Once you've committed to a specific shot, go to the play box, check the target, and be an athlete.

Think about a QB at the line. Pre-snap he's reading the defense, communicating with receivers and blockers, and running snap count. After the snap, there is no thought - just athletic performance.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, alfriday101 said:

1.  Develop a golf phrase or mantra.  For every swing, practice, real, full, partial, drive, putt etc.  repeat the same phrase I your mind.  Mine is “To the target.”  It keeps your conscious mind occupied so you can’t interfere with your swing.  Start to use it by saying the phrase out loud on all shots, then get to where you say it only on your thoughts.  It also helps with tempo.

other examples of such phrases:  one and two, tick tock, one two three ( in waltz or 3/4 time.)

2. If you have a hard time adjusting to a  golf phrase, adopt a nonsense phrase (non golf related) and start it at the same time in your pre shot routine.  One book recommended “Mary had a little lamb, I wish that I had one.”  Focusing on the phrase frees you up to swing rather than concentrating on the process.  

Similar approach for me. Lock onto five or fewer single words or thoughts for to make a sequence so that you channel the focus into those words/thoughts rather than anything else. 

Case in point, mine are "Cowboy. Grip. Tempo." Cowboy helping to remind me of my stance, grip helping to remind me not to white-knuckle the grip, and tempo reminding me not to kill it. Once I say tempo, I just breathe through my backswing, just focusing on the breath.

That process helps eliminate the self-talk and doubts for me by channeling it.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:45 PM, NC Golfer said:

As avid golfers, we often know too much and over analyze our golf swings. What I realized today, especially on the backswing, I do a lot of self-talk. Such as oh, you are taking it on the outside again or that's a sway. This can't be good. What is a good way to get rid of the self-talk during the swing, so it becomes more fluid?

Once I setup to the ball the routine is the same for all shots: putts, chips, drives. 

-begin slow exhale... 

Look at the target or landing point, count 1-2
Look at dimple or mark on the ball, count 1-2
Begin backswing counting 1 to the top, and 2 down to the ball. 

All on a tick-tock slow cadence that I want for the swing itself. The focus on counting pushes out any technical thoughts or worry. I now experiment with trying to maintain the image of the target in my mind throughout this process, especially chips and putts. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 6/3/2022 at 7:25 PM, Kenny B said:

When on  the course, the best approach is to forget about ANY swing thoughts.  You need to trust your swing de jour and play to enjoy the game; it is a game after all.  If you have a bad shot, do not think it was because of this or that; then change something in your swing.  You will end up with a mess of a swing.  Pros hit bad shots; it happens.  They don't change anything; just hit the next shot, and so should you.

Any thoughts you should have before a shot should be focused on where you want the ball to go; NOT where you DON"T want the ball to go.  The brain doesn't understand negatives.  If you think "there is water on the right", the brain remembers "right" so guess what??  Instead, think of an aim point that puts you in the left center of the fairway.

... Good stuff Kenny. Played with a guy that had those negative directives every hole. "I don't wanna go in the water here" ... "I always come up short on this hole" ... "Whatever I do, I can't go left". And most of the time he accomplished those negatives. 

... We are all different of course and approach the game the only way we can, so lots of methods can work. I am a fan of take a practice swing for feel with little or no thoughts. Then over the ball think only of the shot you want to hit never the swing to accomplish it. Many struggle with this but once you get it down, it really is easy. Everyone has bad days and as you said even the Pro's, and on those days it is more difficult to keep swing thoughts at bay. But you are better off just hitting bad shots with what you have then fixing it at the range. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

This is all great stuff.  and I agree with quite a bit.  

If you are always "working" on your swing and you like to practice a lot on the range, it is very hard to practice heavy on a Thursday and play on a Saturday and not think about the "things" you are working on.  So after a bad swing on the course, don't spend lots of time trying to figure out what went wrong muttering and examining checkpoints at the back of the tee box etc.  Just chalk it up to a bad swing and KNOW you can make good swings because you have put in the  on Thursday previous practice.  Shooters keep shooting even when they aren't making the ball go in the basket!

We look at tour pros that are grinding on the range with trackman and a coach after they played 18 already that day.  That is for PROS!  Going to the range by yourself with no video and no coach and just beating balls is not always the most productive, especially if you have a decent swing to begin with.  

We all (including pros) have bad swings and bad rounds.  Doesn't need you need to revamp your swing, etc.  Just was a bad day maybe.  How often have you had a great round followed by a terrible round or vice verse?  What changed over the course of that week?  Probably nothing.  Just a bad day.  It just happens.  thinking/swinging box is great, target/shape focus is great, feeling loose and relaxed is great.  You want just enough focus to not be sloppy.  Bob Rotella books are great.  

Cheers

Tigger

I'd love to get rid of the downswing thought. For the most part, being an avid student of the game, we're told we must have a lower body part to start the downswing.

If I don't think about it, I have a weak cut. With an arms swing. Would love to just swing. But, that's another message I can't get out of my head.

I concentrate on an object in the distance on the line I want to start the ball and commit to the shot. Swing to that target is my only thought.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

2 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

I'd love to get rid of the downswing thought. For the most part, being an avid student of the game, we're told we must have a lower body part to start the downswing.

If I don't think about it, I have a weak cut. With an arms swing. Would love to just swing. But, that's another message I can't get out of my head.

... I think there is a difference between a swing key and swing thoughts. Consistently thinking "start the swing with the lower body" is a swing key. You see lots of players on all tours do a swing key rehearsal, a good example is Spieth. That over the top practice swing is his swing key. The trouble comes into paradise when you have different and/or multiple thoughts on how to "fix" something like "I hit a weak slice so I need to drop my club inside on the downswing" which then becomes your focus instead of the shot. And of course if dropping it inside doesn't work and you still produces a weak slice you try a different thought. 

My putting game improved when I decided to talk to myself during my practice strokes.

The script would be "you will make this because you're an awesome putter.  Remember your spot and put it in the hole."

My confidence skyrocketed because I kept a positive frame of mind.  

Your thoughts run your mind, speak kindly to yourself with purpose.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have found myself thinking “your standing too close” or similar on takeaway if something doesn’t feel right I stop and reset. It has really helped.

not all conversations are bad but if it is effecting the swing or thought process commuting to thoughts behind the ball and nothing during the swing could be beneficial like many others have said

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

What's wrong with knowing your swing is not going to work in the middle of it? I would just go with it... you know, until it works!

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

7 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

Even Pros have swing keys that they think about before their shots. Give this a view;  illustrates what @chisagdiscussed in his post.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

No such thing as an arm swing. There a 2 page thread on wrx about this. I’m going to post two screen caps from a very respected pro.

AD1035F9-7F5E-4DDB-BA32-A2CFF607F6BC.jpeg

5C8104C0-E41B-4AC6-8E5A-F79B90532F38.jpeg

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

16 hours ago, cnosil said:

Even Pros have swing keys that they think about before their shots. Give this a view;  illustrates what @chisagdiscussed in his post.

Pretty cool. We rarely hear what the pros are thinking. I am not clear on what a swing key is vs a swing thought? Do you guys use either as a pre-swing and just let er rip on the actual swing?

2 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

neither should we golfers try to improve alone on the course. 

... 👍  At Byron Nelson's tournament many years back, two young guys were on the range before playing their first round and as Mr Nelson passed by they wanted some of his expertise. They asked him about some things they were doing in their swings and if he thought they should change them before the round. Byron just looked at them a second and then said "Boys, if you didn't bring it with you, you aren't gonna find it here." Of course they could go back to the range after their round and work on some things but before the round just warm up and during the round just play golf, not golf swing. 

3 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

Pretty cool. We rarely hear what the pros are thinking. I am not clear on what a swing key is vs a swing thought? Do you guys use either as a pre-swing and just let er rip on the actual swing?

... A swing key is one thought you want to focus on pre swing like many of the Pro's in the excellent video cnosil posted. "Keep your head still" as an example is a swing key. It is just a reminder before you shift your focus to your target. "Move your weight to your back foot but don't sway and don't over swing just keep it smooth" are swing thoughts and will dominate your thought process making the target secondary at best. Hope that helps....   

Don't take such a slow back swing that allows you to think about positions or where your club/hands are. The range is for that the course is to play. Just like MLB players that have milliseconds to even think about their swing if they think about their swing they will miss the ball. Golfers aren't waiting on a ball but our tempo is everything for a smooth swing. 

My only suggestion is that if your set up doesn't feel right step out of the shot. Knowing something doesn't feel right is going to be a disaster because 1.) you already know something is off and 2.) you are going to try and compensate or tweak something that will contribute to a big disaster 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

I have simply convinced myself that my body knows what to do and that my mind needs to be quiet in order to let my body do what it knows.  Any mental noise over the ball is a detraction from the ability to hit a good shot.  The other thing is that I have bought into the concept that I do not step into a shot until I've completed my analysis of the situation and what type of shot I need to play.  Once i figure out the shot, I hold a clear picture of it in my mind.  Then, I step into address, look at my very specific target, clear my mind of everything else and let the shot go.  If for some reason I ever have thoughts over the ball, they will be more of rhythm or tempo or getting to the desired finish position.  Nothing else.

WITB:  

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 Project X 6.0 55G

PXG 3W 16 degree set to 15 or 5W 18 Riptide CB 5.5 60G

PXG 19 and 22 degree hybrids MMT 70R

PXG 5-W Gen 4 ST irons Recoil Dart 75 F3

PXG 50, 54 MMT 70R and 60 MMT 60A SD wedges

Black Jack putter Stability Tour 

Best advice for any golfer.  Read Every Shot Must Have a Purpose by Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott or Google Think Box, Play Box. It changed my season. Vision 54. Follow the lessons and there is no room for thoughts.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

Lots of good tips in this thread.  My swing is undertaking a revolution right now.  Everything is being overhauled.  Too many thoughts in my head before the swing.  They all make sense, and I need to do them, but I think I should be more concise in my mental chatter.  Eventually, words will turn to feelings in the swing and then those will be replaced by other thoughts and things I'm working on.  I'm not the OP, but thanks everyone!

“They call it golf because all the other four letter words were taken.”

‒ Raymond Flyod

I fully believe your mind remembers the last word in your brain.  "Don't hit it in the water" equals "water".  That is why that positive frame of mind is so important.  Also, how many times have you been describing a hole to a friend who hasn't played the course, described the good shot, then hit that shot.  

I don't understand guys that stand up there and say "I have no idea where this is going to go, keep an eye on it".  That is just negative thoughts to start.  = bad.  

Fake it till you make it!