TESTERS WANTED! ×

WITB for the Frugal Golfer

This post is for the folks that cannot afford to walk into a PGA superstore and drop 3k on new set of stealths, or got to Club Champion and get fit for a new bag top to bottom. This is for the folks who love to play golf but want to do so at a price point that is more attainable to the average person. Especially with how many new golfers there are in the last couple years, I hope that this acts as proof that you can be an above average golfer, with solid and consistent equipment without having to take out a loan to pay for it.

I started playing golf seriously about 3 years ago. Grew up playing baseball and picked up golf while recovering from an injury I sustained playing pick up basketball. I have come down from about a 25 handicap to currently operating at a 7.5. This will be both what I play, where I bought the club and what I paid for it.

Driver: TaylorMade M2 10.5 with Stock Stiff Shaft

Where: OfferUp

How much: $120

Why this club: I have hit a handful of TM drivers either at the local golf mart or that my friends play and I truly feel like this one gives the most pop at contact. I cant explain it more than the ball feels like it just trampolines off of this club. The shaft is a bit too flexy for my swing speed so I try to scale back my drive swig to avoid too much lagging of the clubhead.

Woods: Sub70 Pro Tour 4 Wood 16.5 Adila 75x

Where: Sub70 Used Club Section

How Much: $120

Why this club: I was demoing a set of Sub70 clubs and added this to try it out. Im normally not a big fairway wood guy (as my 5 iron goes 225 and I have never been able to hit a fairway wood consistently) but I fell in love with this immediately. Great contact every time and it looks awesome at address. One of my favorite clubs to take off the tee when I need something in the middle

Hybrid: Cobra King SZ 4 21 degree Project X 80g shaft

Where: GolfMart

How much: $90

Why this club: I spent nearly a year looking for a hybrid. Id go to golf mart or wherever and hit a couple and nothing ever felt right. I literally swung this club 1 time and knew I had found it.

Irons: TaylorMade Rbladez Tour 5-PW KBS Tour TST Shafts with Standard Golf Pride Tour Velvet Grips and Standard Length

How much: $330

Why this club: My friend that I used to play with when I was younger (who became a PGA Pro at a local course here) gave me his old R7's when he upgraded his clubs. I just bought what I knew when I went to get these about 2 years ago. I think I would greatly benefit from getting properly fit for irons but I have had great success with these. I played a handful of different irons that I have demo'd but none have exceeded the success I have with these

Wedges:

50 degree: Callaway Mackdaddy Forged

Where: Golf Galaxy

How much: $35

Why this club: Again, just felt right. I knew I needed to fill the gap between my PW and my 56 degree Sand Wedge. I liked the look and feel and hit it a few times and committed to it.

56 degree: Cleveland Tour Sand

Where: Craigslist

How much: $5

Why this club: This one was weird. I went to buy a golf bag for my partner and the guy I found had a garage full of golf stuff that he collected and sold as a hobby. I had left my sand wedge on a hole a few weeks  before and was playing later that day and just shuffled through his 100s of clubs to find a wedge to use for the day. I played well and it has just stayed in the bag since

60 degree: Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind

Where: Golf Mart

How much: $40

Why this club: I had a few situations where I was short sided over a bunker or needed to really get a flop going and doing so with the 56 just wasnt enough loft. Tried a handful of the used clubs at Golf Mart till I found one that felt good

Putter: Odyssey Dual Force Blade

Where: Friend of a friend

How much: $0

Why this club: Mostly because it was free, but also because it was an upgrade from the brass, two sided putter that my grandfather had given me when I was a kid that was still in my bag (i do miss that classic)

Accessories:

Golf Bag: Sun Mountain Women's Cart Bag

Where: Craigslist

How much: $25

Why this: I had bought a push cart and my carry bag was compressing under the straps and made it hard to put my clubs in the slots. This one (though a women's bag) was a 14 slot and had a cooler pocket

Push Cart: BagBoy Quad XL

How much: $25

Why this: This was a steal and a half. I had a 3 wheel push cart that got the job done but I was scrolling offer up and saw this for sale at this price and drove 30 minutes to get it immediately. An older guy was selling it cuz he was moving and didnt want to take it with him. Love this thing.

Apologies for how long winded this is, and not at all to say this is the best way to go about it, but perhaps a unique way to build out a golf bag over the span of a couple years. And I expect to continue to grow and tweak this setup as long as I play golf (which should be a really long time).

Thanks for reading and let me know in the comments if you have any questions or comments!

Nate

93FF7A2A-C88B-42A1-8607-933070324175.jpeg

Driver: TaylorMade M2 10.5

4 Wood: Sub 70 Pro

4 Hybrid: Cobra King SL

Irons 5-PW: TaylorMade Rbladez Tour

50 Degree: Callaway MackDaddy

56 Degree: Cleveland CG

60 Degree: Callaway MG3

Putter: Odyssey Blade

Not bad. Thanks much for offer details on why you have what you have. Your irons are looking good. A while back I replaced my Mizuno MX-23s with a used set of JPX 900s, and there are days when I miss my old set. I think that's a lesson for me: old clubs that still work should stay in the bag.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58° PUTTER Untitled-8.png.42ad9734db415b5a132df0574137f4f0.png KS1

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO | Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png SUPERSOFT
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

• 2 weeks later...

I totally understand where you are coming from.  I look for deals on bye and sell sites just so i can resell them myself to upgrade my own bag.  Pulled some crazy deals this winter so i could get a basically new scotty cameron special select del mar.  Think i bought 4 different putters and this one only ended up costing me about $60 out of pocket.  

Driver- cobra F9, 3w- Adam’s TL, 19 H TM GAPR mid, 22 H titleist 910, 5-PW TM rocketbladz tour, 50, 56, 60 Cleveland RTX 3, Scotty special select Del Mar.