TESTERS WANTED! ×

Two Current Buy Two Get One Promotions. Which One to Pick?

Greetings from Key West!   There are two buy two get one dozen golf balls currently in play.  Srixon (with a majority of their balls, except Divides) and OnCore (Avant55, Elixir 2020 and 2022 and Vero X1).  I currently play Srixon Q Star Tours (Divide, yellow and white) and just wondering if it's worth giving the OnCore Elixir 2022 a try?  They are roughly the same basic price, so that really isn't a deciding factor.  Also, for the same basic price per dozen, there's the Maxfli Tour four dozen pack.  I appreciate any feedback that I can get.

As I've said before, my game is like the guys I used to hate.  Short off the tee, fairway wood short of the green, chip up and one putt.  Yeah, I hate them too and I'm one of them!  Even though I hit roughly 70% of the fairways, my drives are about only 175-190 yards.  My GIR is about 15% and I rely on my chipping and putting to get up and down and score.  

To make it worse, I'm originally from Western New York and would love to support the local OnCore brand.  Especially after Josh Allen's exhibition this past week at The Match!

Feedback is certainly appreciated.

Thank you fellow MGS members!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

That is a pretty tough decision. Golf balls are a personal preference and it's hard to give advice on what someone else should play. I love Srixon and the buy two get one deal is always pretty good. I hit my longest drive with the Z Star XV and the action around the green is so good.

I've recently bought two dozen of the MaxFli Tour and can't give a great review to them since I lost close to a dozen in the one round I put them in play. I just don't believe my bag play that day can give a fair assessment of them, but I do know they're highly regarded by a lot of people on the site.

I've never played OnCore, so I can't give an opinion on them. I would say if you want to support a company in your home area, that would be great. 

Best of luck to you in whatever ball you decide to go with!

I've been playing the OnCore Elixir for the past 2 years and really like the ball. It has good distance off the tee and when hitting into the greens it spins very well and stops quickly. I haven't played the 2022 model due to them not being available in Yellow at the present time. Just put my order in for the buy 2 get 1 free

Driver-Sub70 849D

3 wood-Sub70 939X

5 wood-Callaway Rogue

4 hybrid-Tour Edge EXS 220

irons-Sub70 699 V2 irons

wedges-Sub70 JB wedges, 50, 54, 58

putter-Sub 70 FN 001 with Evenroll Gravity Grip

Ball-OnCore Elixir

First off, Go Bills!

I played OnCore Elixr 2 seasons ago and loved it. Great all around ball for the price. I was lured in because of the Buffalo connection and the price /performance sold me. 

Right now I love the Z Star XV. I’ve been playing the XV divide and even though the promo excludes the colorful version, I chose the white XV today. 

Can’t go wrong either way. It’s like ordering wings from Bar Bill or Elmo’s. You win with both 😊

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I'm a Z-Star player but have 4 dozen on the shelf already... But still may pull the trigger. The Q-Star Tour is one of the lowest tested balls by MGS and I think it falls into the soft is slow category. The OnCore was rated decently, but I don't know anything about it. If you're happy stuck with the QST, if you think something is being left on the table get the OnCore.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

For what it's worth. I switched to Maxfli Tour after testing them for MGS. They work great for me and they are durable. Out of the original dozen Tour model balls I was testing, I still have 10 balls. I played one in todays round. Still trudging along with probably 6 rounds in this one. I purchased two more boxes when they had a sale at the beginning of the season. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I’m having this same debate, except swap OnCore with Maxfli Tour X. 

Been a Zstar player for a few years now, but thinking i might switch to the Maxfli Tour X for the season and see how my game changes. I’m a high swing speed player and the added compression of the Tour X might fit my game better, compared to the Zstar. 

Also note that while you can get 3dz for $90 with Srixon, for $10 extra dollars you can get 4dz with Maxfli and the special they are running. 

Welcome thoughts and feedback from any members who have tried both and what they liked. 

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I would recommend the Ping Ballnamic ball-fitting (google it).  It worked very well for me to get me into a ball that outperforms others for my specific swing characteristics (to my surprise).  It costs a little money, but it's a one-time cost that can improve your game and improve the way you spend your money from then on, and it will help you to be confident you're playing the best ball for you.  You will put in the preferences that are important to you for your game.  You can put in your gamer and see how it compares head-to-head with the recommendation.  You can also choose to narrow the recommendations to more budget friendly balls.  And, you can do it up to 5 times for a single payment, so you can put in different gamer-balls to compare.

If you've got some swing data from a personal monitor or from a fitting you've done or from just taking some swings at a golf store, that would probably be helpful for the ball-fitting.  

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

12 hours ago, vamosjackets said:

I would recommend the Ping Ballnamic ball-fitting (google it).  It worked very well for me to get me into a ball that outperforms others for my specific swing characteristics (to my surprise).

I looked into this last week, even went through the questionnaire right up to the "pay" screen.  The only reason I didn't pull the trigger to get my results is I felt it could be subjective based on how I answered the broad questions.  I would absolutely pay that fee if I was on a launch monitor and it took the results from my swings with a Driver, 7 iron and wedge to derive the answers.  If I prefer a "soft feel" around the green, it may fit me into a ball that doesn't perform like I want it to when it hits the green for example...  the chip felt great, but it rolled 20 feet past the hole with no check.  I know there is a way to enter LM data into the system, and I may gather my own and revisit Ballnamic... I think it is a good thought, and probably a good algorithm - but if I'm paying $, I would rather my own "color" not be a part of the results.  

As far as the 3 for 2 deals... like Tom, I am gaming the Maxfli Tour and think it is a great ball all around... but my 2nd choice right now is the Srixon Diamond... so I am tempted to put a few boxes on my shelf... but I have 2 cubes of Maxfli's in front of them... so I may wait for the 2023 (or 2024 if I stop losing balls so fast) models before stocking up again.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I am a Q Star Tour guy and have been waiting for their buy 2 get 1 sale. I've never played the Oncore balls, but they look like a super bright yellow on the website so I might need to check them out as well.

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

If I were buying, I'd get the Q Star Tour without reservations. That ball has consistently worked well for me and given me great results, just goes to show that balls perform differently for different folks and some tests aren't the be all, end all.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

16 hours ago, vamosjackets said:

I would recommend the Ping Ballnamic ball-fitting (google it). 

As with everything, getting any kind of fitting is always the way to go. That being said, you are EXTREMELY unlikely to get fit into a QST or an Elixr by the Ballnamic database. And I'd be pretty shocked if you were fit into the Vero X1 or the standard Z-Star.

All that being said, for your game, it sounds like personal preference is probably your winner. The Elixr and Z-Star are going to be comparable for feel, QST a little softer. But I wouldn't sleep on the Vero X1. It's a very low-spinning ball, which should give you more distance through the bag, but still performs well around the green. I'm currently gaming the Maxfli Tour, which is also (relatively) low-spin, but not as low as Vero, which should still spin more than your QSTs.  If I were buying an OnCore ball today, it would be the Elixr. If I were buying Srixon, probably the XV.

Totally unsolicited and unwarranted, but I'd be super interested in knowing your launch monitor numbers with the QST. In general, it's high-launch, low-spin off the driver and I'd be interested if something with a little more spin in the long game (like a Z-Star Diamond) might help with driver carry. Given than the Diamond is excluded from the 3-for-2 promotions, the Maxfli Tour X would be the next most comparable spin profile.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

2 hours ago, GregGarner said:

Totally unsolicited and unwarranted, but I'd be super interested in knowing your launch monitor numbers with the QST. In general, it's high-launch, low-spin off the driver and I'd be interested if something with a little more spin in the long game (like a Z-Star Diamond) might help with driver carry. Given than the Diamond is excluded from the 3-for-2 promotions, the Maxfli Tour X would be the next most comparable spin profile.

In mid-July I have Club Champion full bag fitting (thanks to their $100 promotion last month).  My thought was bringing a dozen or so of my Q Star Tour balls with me and using them in the fitting.  If that works out, I'd be happy to share the information.   Unfortunately, living at the end of US1 there's no access to facilities with launch monitors.  For that, we have to go to America (150 miles up the road).

I have tried different brands, and I have become a true beliver in the OnCore Elixer and Vero1. I have in play the Elixer 2022 and I have gotten great results. I get a few more yards with the Vero1 but being a veteran I get 20%discount so on the Elixer i get for around $25, and being a 3 piece urethane cover it has given me a straighter ball flight and chucks up on the green. 

My swing speed is around 110 and get around 215-220 off the T

Edited by Handy

1 hour ago, Handy said:

My swing speed is around 110 and get around 215-220 off the T

Not to totally hijack this thread buuuuuut... With a driver? Swinging 110, you should be closer to 260 -270 carry plus whatever roll-out after that. Do you hit it really high? Really low? (For comparison, my driver swing speed is about 112 and my 5-wood is my 230 club) -- just curious; seems like you might be leaving something on the table with a swing speed that is nearing PGA Tour average!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

On 6/6/2022 at 2:30 PM, Golf2Much said:

In mid-July I have Club Champion full bag fitting (thanks to their $100 promotion last month).  My thought was bringing a dozen or so of my Q Star Tour balls with me and using them in the fitting.  If that works out, I'd be happy to share the information.   Unfortunately, living at the end of US1 there's no access to facilities with launch monitors.  For that, we have to go to America (150 miles up the road).

If and when you get that fitting, ask the fitter for access to all of the launch monitor data afterward.  They should give you a website where it's all stored and organized nicely.  Then it would probably be good to bookmark that website as that data could come in handy over the next few years for many currently unforeseen reasons ... at least that's how it was for me.

Edited by vamosjackets

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

1 hour ago, vamosjackets said:

If and when you get that fitting, ask the fitter for access to all of the launch monitor data afterward.  They should give you a website where it's all stored and organized nicely.  Then it would probably be good to bookmark that website as that data could come in handy over the next few years for many currently unforeseen reasons ... at least that's how it was for me.

Thank you for the heads up on getting access to the launch monitor data.  I will make sure I ask them for it.

I had another company's fitting in Orlando two years ago.  Unfortunately, the only data I could get was what the fitter hand wrote down for himself during the driver fitting.  In the end, any numbers would not have represented my swing as I hurt myself on a Disney ride the afternoon before and could hardly move when I started the fitting.  With enough Tylenol and Icy Hot, I guess you can get through almost anything!

Based on all your inputs, I decided to go with the OnCore Elixr 2022 three dozen for the price of two promotion.  I already have two plus dozens of Srixon QST sitting on the shelf and thought it would be good to try something different.  I also had an email exchange with OnCore regarding their fitting tool suggesting of Vero X1.  After sharing my swing and game characteristics, he concluded the Elixr was a better option.  

I still plan on trying out the Maxfli Tour ball.  I'll just have to get better at loosing golf balls so my stash of balls ready to go isn't too obvious for me wife to see.

Thank you all for your input!

Definitely Srixon. Srixons we find on the course are keepers, Oncore are catch and release. Just saying.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)