TESTERS WANTED! ×

Major OEM absence from testing???

PMookie

On 6/6/2022 at 12:58 PM, russtopherb said:

Y'know, I thought it was just me but I would have thought we would have started hearing stuff about the Cobra Connect Challenge by now if it was still being held (which after last year, I can see being up in the air). But yeah, usually by now there would have been some stuff from folks like Cleveland, Wilson/Staff, etc. 

I know Wilson Staff is planning to have a “Staff Model” launch from putter through driver in 2023. 

My WITB:

Driver - Taylormade SLDR TP 10*

3 Wood - Tour Edge CB2 15*
Irons - Wilson Staff V2 4-pw

Wedges - Wilson Staff 54* & 58*
Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 3

Ball - Wilson Staff Duo Spin or Soft

47 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Rev...I posted I think earlier in this thread about how it's grown since I joined just 6 years ago.   In that post I mentioned reading old posts from several years back, which I think dated to the erly days of the forum.

You are correct, I didn't see any testing threads from way back then, but I do seem to recall seing some contests posts where members won prizes for "recriting" or referring members.   It seemed really cool, and I'm sure in the erly days when trying to build the readership it worked really well. 

Anway, just recall enjoying reading some of those posts from the early days.    Alos most notabily the Distinquished Gentelman Thread.   I'm not going to link it, if people want bad enough to see it, they know how to search 🙂 

That thread could be an entire forum all on it's own.  Miss seeing some of the guys from that thread!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

13 hours ago, revkev said:

I'm glad I'm late into this game as I may have posted something I would not have been proud of.

I'm going to speak for myself here and let it be.  I did not come to MGS to be a tester.  I had no idea that forum members might be selected to test things when I came.  In fact I don't think that they were at that time, unless they were handpicked by what would now be termed HQ's.  I came because I had some questions about equipment (particularly the golf ball, spin and it's impact on driver dispersion).  I stayed because I got answers primarily from knowledgeable forum members but also from Tony who around on the forums a lot and Matt Sateranus.  

Testing, as we know it, started a year or so after the time that I arrived.  Some testers were selected by mods directly but slowly but surely all testers came to be selected via applications.  That made sense to me.

Like the rest of us I've noticed the "shortage" of tests from OEMs including the Cobra Connect.  That last one doesn't surprise me, it had its run but I'm not sure that there's the bang for the buck for Cobra any more at this point.  As for the other OEMs it's their stuff, they can choose whom they want to do their testing for them and when.  Likewise we are HQs stepchild or baby if you will, they may do with their platform as they please.  I visit the forums because I have friends, both virtual and real here.  There are often interesting discussions taking place that I like to be a part of and I do learn about equipment even if we aren't formally testing it - consider the Stack system threads.  

As for our mods they do a great job.  They can only work with what they have to work with.  When I have a significant complaint I go to them on a PM and they've always been open and honest with me.  So thanks to all of them for their hard work and advocacy.

Thanks to all of my fellow forum members as well - even when we disagree on a matter you make this place a fun place to come, blow off steam and talk about golf.  

Great post Rev. And same here…tests are the cherry on top.  I’m a better golfer in no small measure from what I’ve learned and tried through my interactions here.  How many forums can say that?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I suppose it was the right time for me to get fit for new Titleist irons, even if by the time I get them they may drop the name and photos of newer irons.  🙂

It has been an honor to be involved in 3 product tests.   Cant wait to see what's coming down the pipe.  🙂

:cobra-small:   RADspeed 10.5, :projectx: Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0s

:cobra-small:  Bio Cell 3/4w, :projectx: PXV 6.0s; AMP 3h 19deg Aldila RIP R.  Bio Cell 4h 22.5deg :projectx: PXV R. 

:titleist-small:          2021/22 T200 5-7, T100 8-P (bent 1deg strong), :projectx: LZ 5.5 

:cleveland-small:      CBX-2 50/11 

:taylormade-small:   ATV 56/16deg 

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact No.3 Align putter

:Arccos:     Caddie for tracking.     

:titelist-small:            Pro V1X balls

Previous forum tests:

2019: Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4 grips, Lynx Black Cat 5-PW.    2020:  :skycaddie: LX5 Watch.    2021:  :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact #3 Align putter

On 6/16/2022 at 1:30 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

LOL...I do wish we had a "Very Lightly Pre Owned" section in our Pro Shop, I could keep it stocked pretty well..ha

I thought that was your garage….

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

12 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I thought that was your garage….

LOL..I hve had it made very clear to me, the fiance doesn't care what or how many I buy, but there is not room fo rmore than 1 set at at time in the condo.   So my office is the auxilary garage.  Boy am I in trouble if I ever leave this job..ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

LOL..I hve had it made very clear to me, the fiance doesn't care what or how many I buy, but there is not room fo rmore than 1 set at at time in the condo.   So my office is the auxilary garage.  Boy am I in trouble if I ever leave this job..ha

Is your fiance's maiden name Cobra, Ping or Titleist?....LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 6/13/2022 at 11:30 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I still blame the intial Golfspy_Rob on Enrique.   He felt we needed to follow the example set by the the previous mods and use actual names, but thanks to the "outcry" from the forum, I held firm to my desire and went with CG2!  

And me knowing you from way back on here and WRX I know what the CG stands for too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Rev...I posted I think earlier in this thread about how it's grown since I joined just 6 years ago.   In that post I mentioned reading old posts from several years back, which I think dated to the erly days of the forum.

You are correct, I didn't see any testing threads from way back then, but I do seem to recall seing some contests posts where members won prizes for "recriting" or referring members.   It seemed really cool, and I'm sure in the erly days when trying to build the readership it worked really well. 

Anway, just recall enjoying reading some of those posts from the early days.    Alos most notabily the Distinquished Gentelman Thread.   I'm not going to link it, if people want bad enough to see it, they know how to search 🙂 

ROTFLMAO---- The Distinguished Gentlemans Thread MGS Hall Of Fame--- Newbies well worth the time to look up and read.

When I first came on here in reality I was just learning how to work a computer social media wise. I could run like truck diagnostic programs etc. One thing I liked on here was the fact there were good folks I could talk golf with. In the area I live in a lot of people play golf but know nothing about the game. In the days past folks used to hang around the game room before or after the round enjoy a beverage and talk golf and other things. Now days no one around here does that. Another thing about MGS was in the beginning I was the only one here that played vintage equipment and the good folks here put up with me. That last leads up to the last paragraph.

I never put in for a lot of tests because a lot of the new stuff does not appeal to me. I would rather another member test and use the equipment than me test and not maybe be objective. Now when I test I do go all out. I did do the Renegar wedge test because I am a wedge Ho and love to experiment with wedges of all brands and eras. I worked with Rob on that one because I had to do some mods for me to hit including weighting up and some lie adjustments. But I did do detailed notes on what and why I did what I did. I did wring them out to the max and today a friend of mine is still playing them because I gave them to him

The Precision Pro I put in for that because my ancient Bushnell was dying and frankly a heavy bulky PITA to use. I still use the Precision Pro to this day still dependable and has never given me any trouble and it holds its own still with anything. I do not need the slope thing because with my uncanny math and trig skills I can figure out slope pretty well

The Motocaddy for myself I have a mixed bag on. I had applied to test it and everyone at the time knew my physical status. Motocaddy and the Staff here thought an outside the box test for me to rehab was a good idea. I am grateful for that. It did get me out on the range and walking some plus I could take my creature comforts with me to the range. I did put it through the ringer some and had a lot of fun with it and yes even managed to turn it over one time. But I still felt the test was incomplete without some actual course time. I could manage about 3 holes and that was it. I tried a vintage Hickory event with it on a Par 3 course and I had permission to use it because of my status. LOL it drew some attention kinda a mix with the modern cart bag they gave us with some genuine 75 to 100 year old Hickory clubs in it. I gave out after 9 holes. Not the Motocaddy but me. Yes it helped my back rehab but we did not know at the time my right knee was giving out. I talked to Rob on this and turned it over to Tom The Golf Nut to finish the test.

Now with all of that being said I still read and absorb the information on new stuff because my mind works like that always open and absorbing fresh information. I may not comment per say but read

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

12 hours ago, BIG STU said:

The Motocaddy for myself I have a mixed bag on. I had applied to test it and everyone at the time knew my physical status. Motocaddy and the Staff here thought an outside the box test for me to rehab was a good idea. I am grateful for that. It did get me out on the range and walking some plus I could take my creature comforts with me to the range. I did put it through the ringer some and had a lot of fun with it and yes even managed to turn it over one time. But I still felt the test was incomplete without some actual course time. I could manage about 3 holes and that was it. I tried a vintage Hickory event with it on a Par 3 course and I had permission to use it because of my status. LOL it drew some attention kinda a mix with the modern cart bag they gave us with some genuine 75 to 100 year old Hickory clubs in it. I gave out after 9 holes. Not the Motocaddy but me. Yes it helped my back rehab but we did not know at the time my right knee was giving out. I talked to Rob on this and turned it over to Tom The Golf Nut to finish the test.

The Motocaddy testing continues. My concern was the Motocaddy would not do well on the hills on my course. That concern has been put to rest. My next concern is that I make it up the hills. First round I made it 7 holes. But it was 94 degrees. The second round scheduled it rained. Then I was traveling for work a bit. This coming weekend should be a good test. I have 4 days off. Johnny is charged and ready. The belt clip is fixed and I'm ready. I've been hitting up the elliptical to build up stamina. 

Now back on topic.

This forum has been great for me. It was never about the testing but more the camaraderie and the interest we all have in common which is golf. It doesn’t matter if you use current equipment or vintage equipment like Stu. The game is the same. Testing is a bonus and should be treated as such. Be grateful for any opportunity that pops up, but don't always expect there to be one. 

This site had guided me in several purchases. If it wasn't for the honest and detailed reviews by both MGS and Forum testers I would still be buying off the rack stuff that was not right for me. Just because I did not know better. 

OEM's have a long list of people wanting to test and write reviews on equipment. You basically have to get a request in early and get on a waiting list. Then they only have a certain budget or allotment of equipment to give out. Then they look at exposure. Where will they get most readers. Who is taking their advertisement money and reviewing. Guess who gets priority! It is whatit is. It's business.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

8 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The Motocaddy testing continues. My concern was the Motocaddy would not do well on the hills on my course. That concern has been put to rest. My next concern is that I make it up the hills. First round I made it 7 holes. But it was 94 degrees. The second round scheduled it rained. Then I was traveling for work a bit. This coming weekend should be a good test. I have 4 days off. Johnny is charged and ready. The belt clip is fixed and I'm ready. I've been hitting up the elliptical to build up stamina. 

Now back on topic.

This forum has been great for me. It was never about the testing but more the camaraderie and the interest we all have in common which is golf. It doesn’t matter if you use current equipment or vintage equipment like Stu. The game is the same. Testing is a bonus and should be treated as such. Be grateful for any opportunity that pops up, but don't always expect there to be one. 

This site had guided me in several purchases. If it wasn't for the honest and detailed reviews by both MGS and Forum testers I would still be buying off the rack stuff that was not right for me. Just because I did not know better. 

OEM's have a long list of people wanting to test and write reviews on equipment. You basically have to get a request in early and get on a waiting list. Then they only have a certain budget or allotment of equipment to give out. Then they look at exposure. Where will they get most readers. Who is taking their advertisement money and reviewing. Guess who gets priority! It is whatit is. It's business.

So you named it "Johnny" Like it as in "Heeere Comes Johnny" I always called it R2 D2

From what I observed the test on the Sub 70 irons worked well for you because you hit them well and they are good looking irons. I will admit if I changed my ways those would be among the ones I would consider. Your research on the driver seems to pay off for you too. That thing is a cannon in your hands.

I can remember a few years back I was selected to help write the testing templates. We split up into teams and I worked with Golf Spy Shawn and the whole process was fun. There were a lot of good ideas submitted and I learned a lot.

G

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

So you named it "Johnny" Like it as in "Heeere Comes Johnny" I always called it R2 D2

From what I observed the test on the Sub 70 irons worked well for you because you hit them well and they are good looking irons. I will admit if I changed my ways those would be among the ones I would consider. Your research on the driver seems to pay off for you too. That thing is a cannon in your hands.

I can remember a few years back I was selected to help write the testing templates. We split up into teams and I worked with Golf Spy Shawn and the whole process was fun. There were a lot of good ideas submitted and I learned a lot.

Short for Johnny 5 from the movie "Short Circuit" 

1075809449_Johnny5.jpg.a0042fa2ea1fd2a29da8e244c9e8566b.jpg

I think @sirchunksalot named his push cart the same thing. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

6 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Short for Johnny 5 from the movie "Short Circuit" 

1075809449_Johnny5.jpg.a0042fa2ea1fd2a29da8e244c9e8566b.jpg

I think @sirchunksalot named his push cart the same thing. 

You would be correct! My wife is a huge fan of Short Circuit and she had it named immediately. 

I really hope the reviews aren't going to be left to "wither on the vine" by HQ. Now half way through the year and 1 fairway review, 1 putter review and 1 wedge review. 

I know there has been an "explanation" given, but it really is a massive drop off compared to all the time I've been on the forum.

I have real concerns that the entire forum might meet the same fate if HQ continues to have little interest in it.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

On 6/23/2022 at 12:37 PM, hartrick11 said:

That said, it is completely baffling to see HQ focus only on sponsors after bashing other websites for doing the same thing. That hypocrisy combined with what seems like an antagonistic attitude towards "big OEM" and click-bait social media has been a major turn off for me, and as a result I do not visit the HQ website anymore, unfollowed MGS on all social platforms, and absent the ability to direct future donations to the forum only, will no longer be making an annual donation to MGS.

Totally agree. MGS social media is awful. Unfollowed them and about to mute MPR if he doesn't stop retweeting them. 😉

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, Peaksy68 said:

I really hope the reviews aren't going to be left to "wither on the vine" by HQ. Now half way through the year and 1 fairway review, 1 putter review and 1 wedge review. 

I know there has been an "explanation" given, but it really is a massive drop off compared to all the time I've been on the forum.

I have real concerns that the entire forum might meet the same fate if HQ continues to have little interest in it.

I will saw I miss when Adam used to come on and answer questions 

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I truly wish I had any further update on anything to come. Potentially a tech device in the coming weeks, but unconfirmed. 

Considering we had been trending in the 26+ opportunities per season for several years this is a massive drop off. 

We knew to expect a dip in opportunities with the change, but were still led to believe it would be around 20. 

I'll admit I'm a little at a loss. We may be having a member Q&A (live on zoom) with HQ members based around Most Wanted Testing, however I don't believe member testing is on the schedule for that..

As a mod team we have expressed concerns over and over and over. Unfortunately they haven't yielded any change. Hopefully the missed opportunity is seen and changes are made to next season or the later half of this season. 

For me all I can really say is I'm sorry...

you should be sorry! 😄

Come on... this forum wouldn't be half the place it is today without the hard work of you mods... so thank you for that, you did your best and if HQ won't listen... well... things will take its natural course...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• 1 month later...

@GolfSpy_APH , are there any further updates now that we're 2/3 the way through Q3?  Hopefully some more club tests. Accessory reviews are all well and good, but realistically, they aren't what bring people here, either to read or to take part in. Counting the L.A.B. putters as one test, only having 3 club tests in 8 months is so disappointing. It's even more disappointing when the there is at least one outstanding review to be posted, I can understand OEMs being hesitant to provide equipment for testing when not all reviews are posted in a timely manner.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The MGS forum we don't want to be know just for testing and what a lot consider giveaways or contests, especially with the community we have here. 

We have optimism that next year/off season we will continue to see some more testing opportunities, however the focus of this community shouldn't revolve around those tests and be more about the community and discussion itself with testing being perk. Personally I don't see us getting back to the 30 per season range, however I do hope to see an increase over the next few years. This could take some time though. 

I also want to say I understand that testing traditionally is what drives a lot of people to the forum, but that just means we need to find other ways of getting people to the forum and to stay of the forum. So many of the testing sign ups were just that. Come for testing and leave till the next one comes around. 

In the offseason we will look to tackle the testing platform on the forum and decide on its future. By that point in time we should be close to having the new testing schedule and can look forward to the upcoming season. 

Hope that helps a little even if it isn't the exact answer many would want, but at the moment it is all the information I have. 

Thanks again for the response.

Perhaps a strongly worded communication with HQ would be in order, the way they promote testing opportunities on Social Media is extremely misleading, and make it sound like a giveaway. It's hard to blame people for just showing up to apply when they have been encouraged to do so by SM promotions from MGS

I would imagine that the vast majority of readers, and probably active members came to the forum looking for reviews. Further reduction in reviews will almost certainly result in a reduction in readers, and by extension members.  I can't see any other way to grow active participation in the forum without a vibrant review/testing section.

The interaction during reviews was a large component of encouraging community. Reviews being front and centre made this possible and encouraged it. The current review area does little to encourage this. Hopefully this unfortunate change can be remedied.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be as a Mod team dealing with the ongoing issues caused mostly by the structural changes, but also by what appears to be an attitude change from MGS HQ.

MLA Tour Mallet 33"