TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rangefinder Issues

A year ago I purchased a Gogogo Rangefinder from Amazon with hopes I could save a few bucks and still have a decent rangefinder. 

(Gogogo Sport Vpro Laser Rangefinder for Golf & Hunting Range Finder Distance Measuring with High-Precision Flag Pole Locking Vibration Function︱Slope Mode Continuous Scan https://a.co/d/fh8SHyW)

Lately I've lost confidence that it's shooting an accurate distance, based on it happening a couple times. Those of you with higher end rangefinders, how often do you question the # on your rangefinder? 

C. Strand

Mayville Golf Club

I bought a cheap laser ragefinder too.  More for range and practice ground use than on course (GPS guy here).  But I do lack confidence in it.

Anyway...  What wanted to say is try zapping the pin from the fairway distance markers.  It won't be 100% of course, but it should give you an indication as to it's general reliability.

How far off does it seem to be?  I was looking at that one as a possible budget option a little while back, and while I've got my eye on a different setup now (Shot Scope ProLX+ combo), I may have to settle for the H4 and a cheaper range finder depending on how the budget is looking.  I notice the app on my phone is within 10 yards or so of the fairway markers, which is close enough for me but could obviously be an issue for better golfers...

Giga Golf TRX irons 5-P, hybrids 3&4 , and fairway woods 3&5

TaylorMade SLDR driver

Odyssey Putter

I just think a lot of the time it's picking up the background distance and not the flag. Where I know it's between 120 and 140 for example. But when I shoot it I'm getting 180 - 190 because it's picking up a tree behind the flag. With a higher priced option does that happen as well?

Edited by ndstrand

C. Strand

Mayville Golf Club

1 hour ago, Bad Hobbit said:

How far off does it seem to be?  I was looking at that one as a possible budget option a little while back, and while I've got my eye on a different setup now (Shot Scope ProLX+ combo), I may have to settle for the H4 and a cheaper range finder depending on how the budget is looking.  I notice the app on my phone is within 10 yards or so of the fairway markers, which is close enough for me but could obviously be an issue for better golfers...

Sometimes it's clearly off by 100 yards. 

C. Strand

Mayville Golf Club

Some of the lower end units will sometimes develop a seal issue which can allow moisture in. This can effect the display readings and the accuracy. I have a TecTecTec and it developed this issue due to atmospheric pressure changes. ( Kept it in my golf bag on airline travel) I called customer service and although what they told me sounded crazy, the fix actually worked. Take the battery out, place the unit on the dashboard of your car on a hot sunny day. Leave it there for several hours. The unit will be hot so becareful. Take it indoors and let it adjust to room temperature. Put the battery back in and your good to go. If you happen to look through the unit when it is still hot it will appear totally black. That’s normal so don't worry. Once it cools down it will be fine. This process bakes the moisture out.

I had to do this to my unit twice in the last 6 years. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, ndstrand said:

I just think a lot of the time it's picking up the background distance and not the flag. Where I know it's between 120 and 140 for example. But when I shoot it I'm getting 180 - 190 because it's picking up a tree behind the flag. With a higher priced option does that happen as well?

Yes,  it happens with all rangefinders which is why many have the feature that makes the unit vibrate or beep when it locks on the pin.   I would suggest you use the rangefinder in scan mode so that you can move it around to get better accuracy; my 16 year old rangefinder has the capability and so do most every rangefinder I have looked at.  You should be able to identify a bad reading based on where you are standing in the fairway.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I also have a TecTecTec GPS watch. I am not a fan of wearing regular watches. But I do use this every round. If your ok with front, middle, back locations and some distances to water or bunkers then this is a good choice. Some higher end models have more features. My normal course has small greens so for the most part GPS is fine. All you do is look at the watch and pull the club for that distance. If you wind up with a cart path only round then pull the cart even with the ball and bring three clubs out to the ball. The one you think you need and one on either side. This way if the yardage is different when you get to the ball your covered. A watch is faster as you not trying to shoot a target and you don't have to worry about being stable, or shooting past the flag. Saying this I do carry the laser as well. Sometimes I need to shoot something that the watch doesn't display. Also the watch does not have a slope feature. (My laser doesn't either,  poor decision when purchasing). So I would estimate that 98% of a round is just using the watch. 

7 hours ago, ndstrand said:

Sometimes it's clearly off by 100 yards. 

oh yikes! Did it start ok and maybe get dropped or something that could affect it like that?  That's not even ballpark!

Giga Golf TRX irons 5-P, hybrids 3&4 , and fairway woods 3&5

TaylorMade SLDR driver

Odyssey Putter

I have a GoGoGo Sport GS24, and, it works fine. I, also, use a Garmin G10, so, I have a bit of confirmation about distances. 

As for gps vs range finder, gps works without line of sight. The rf can give you an exact distance, but, in general, I am not precise enough to make use of that information.

I have the cheap Nikon Coolshot and I also have issues capturing flags when they don't have reflectors. I usually don't have an issue when I aim at the flag on the top of the pin but if there is a lot of trees behind the pin, I will generally shoot the front of the green or close bunker to make sure my pin distance is correct. I do trust my Nikon to give me the correct distance but you just have to be careful.

Are higher end rangefinders better? Yes. I've used some friend's Bushnells in the past and found they are faster and lock on much easier, even when flags don't have a reflector. When, if ever, my Nikon dies, I'll probably buck up a little and buy a Bushnell. I've tried a few other brands like Luepold and I just haven't found any are as good for golf as Bushnell. I can't speak for the upper crust stabilized Nikon models as I have not tried one of them yet but people seem to like them including MGS.

The Bushnells are quicker to lock on than the Nikons.  My son has had V3, The one with barometric, etc and a V5.  I have an older Nikon Stabilized. No comparison on speed, particularly if there’s trees behind the flag.  He says the V3 is the best and still uses.  The other two weren’t returned when left at the course. Stabilized is nice though.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2022 at 10:28 AM, ndstrand said:

A year ago I purchased a Gogogo Rangefinder from Amazon with hopes I could save a few bucks and still have a decent rangefinder. 

Lately I've lost confidence that it's shooting an accurate distance, based on it happening a couple times. Those of you with higher end rangefinders, how often do you question the # on your rangefinder? 

Sorry to hear that you've had trouble with your Gogogo rangefinder, @ndstrand. We're obviously a bit biased when it comes to which rangefinder we think is the best, but we still wanted to share our thoughts on the subject. 

First off... a couple of people on this thread used the words "confidence" and "trust" in regards to their rangefinders. This is how we think about it, too. A rangefinder doesn't just measure a distance; what a GOOD rangefinder truly does is instill confidence. Our goal is that golfers will trust buying from Precision Pro and they'll have confidence in their rangefinder. This is why we have invested so much in our customer service and now have the industry-leading protection plan. It's also why we recently released the NX10 rangefinder. 

The NX10 is our newest rangefinder. It's customizable and interchangeable, which means you can have one rangefinder with dozens of different designs. (Image attached) However... what golfers will appreciate most is the all-new industrial design and the build quality of the NX10. You'll immediately be able to feel the difference between this rangefinder and other rangefinders -- even over our previous models. It's the best rangefinder we've ever built and, in our tests, outperforms the competition in terms of reliability, durability, and picking up the flag. (Especially at picking up the flag at over 150 yards out.)

Happy to answer any questions you might have about it. We're in the works with the MyGolfSpy team to try to do some MGS Forum Testing with the NX10, so keep your eye out. Thanks, all! 

NX10 scattered 4th of july flag bkgd.png

Precision Pro Golf

Use Discount Code MYGOLFSPY20 for $20 OFF.

#swingwithconfidence #hitmoregreens

www.precisionprogolf.com

8 hours ago, PrecisionProGolf said:

Sorry to hear that you've had trouble with your Gogogo rangefinder, @ndstrand. We're obviously a bit biased when it comes to which rangefinder we think is the best, but we still wanted to share our thoughts on the subject. 

First off... a couple of people on this thread used the words "confidence" and "trust" in regards to their rangefinders. This is how we think about it, too. A rangefinder doesn't just measure a distance; what a GOOD rangefinder truly does is instill confidence. Our goal is that golfers will trust buying from Precision Pro and they'll have confidence in their rangefinder. This is why we have invested so much in our customer service and now have the industry-leading protection plan. It's also why we recently released the NX10 rangefinder. 

The NX10 is our newest rangefinder. It's customizable and interchangeable, which means you can have one rangefinder with dozens of different designs. (Image attached) However... what golfers will appreciate most is the all-new industrial design and the build quality of the NX10. You'll immediately be able to feel the difference between this rangefinder and other rangefinders -- even over our previous models. It's the best rangefinder we've ever built and, in our tests, outperforms the competition in terms of reliability, durability, and picking up the flag. (Especially at picking up the flag at over 150 yards out.)

Happy to answer any questions you might have about it. We're in the works with the MyGolfSpy team to try to do some MGS Forum Testing with the NX10, so keep your eye out. Thanks, all! 

NX-10 forum test??? 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

12 hours ago, PrecisionProGolf said:

The flag and eagle paint job on those renderings are freaking awesome looking.

On 6/11/2022 at 3:10 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Some of the lower end units will sometimes develop a seal issue which can allow moisture in. This can effect the display readings and the accuracy. I have a TecTecTec and it developed this issue due to atmospheric pressure changes. ( Kept it in my golf bag on airline travel) I called customer service and although what they told me sounded crazy, the fix actually worked. Take the battery out, place the unit on the dashboard of your car on a hot sunny day. Leave it there for several hours. The unit will be hot so becareful. Take it indoors and let it adjust to room temperature. Put the battery back in and your good to go. If you happen to look through the unit when it is still hot it will appear totally black. That’s normal so don't worry. Once it cools down it will be fine. This process bakes the moisture out.

I had to do this to my unit twice in the last 6 years. 

Make that three times now!

@PrecisionProGolf have you had this experience with your units. I'm looking to replace the TecTecTec. If I happen to play the next day after airline travel and don’t have time to bake it, or its not a hot sunny day,, its useless.

17 hours ago, PrecisionProGolf said:

It's the best rangefinder we've ever built and, in our tests, outperforms the competition in terms of reliability, durability, and picking up the flag. (Especially at picking up the flag at over 150 yards out.)

... I think we would all love to hear more on this. Which models did you test against and how much more accurate and how much faster is the NX10? Even if you are equal in accuracy and speed to the top brands at a lower price point and better customer service, that would make yours a better option. I have pretty much used Bushnell for 30 years, a V5 currently but occasionally it will not vibrate or it takes several attempts. My V3 developed "sun spots" and they would not replace under warranty saying I left it out on my cart causing the sun damage. Problem is I use a remote cart and always keep my rangefinder in it's case and after making those comments on the Bushnell Facebook page they contacted me and ended up replacing the unit. A customer should not have to jump through hoops and take back door channels to get a warranty replacement. I have used a few cheaper models and ended up giving them to family and friends. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I picked up a GoGoGo a month or so ago and it’s terrible. Mine does the same thing so I have to scan 5+ times every time to get a distance I think is accurate. It was $100 bucks, so I’ll use it for a year or so and replace it with a better unit. 

I would avoid PrecisionPro as well. The GoGoGo replaced my NX7 that lasted about 3 years before a solder point failed. They don’t service them and I couldn’t fix it based on how they are built. They offered a coupon code for a new one, but I don’t want to spend $200-300 for something that’s only going to last a few years. 

To put it in perspective, my 8 year old Bushnell V3 still works just fine. That’s a testament to the build quality over Precision Pro’s and other cheaper options. It’s in my sons bag currently. So my next is likely to be another Bushnell. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

21 hours ago, PrecisionProGolf said:

I can personally attest to the great customer service at Precision Pro

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

15 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think we would all love to hear more on this. Which models did you test against and how much more accurate and how much faster is the NX10? Even if you are equal in accuracy and speed to the top brands at a lower price point and better customer service, that would make yours a better option. I have pretty much used Bushnell for 30 years, a V5 currently but occasionally it will not vibrate or it takes several attempts. My V3 developed "sun spots" and they would not replace under warranty saying I left it out on my cart causing the sun damage. Problem is I use a remote cart and always keep my rangefinder in it's case and after making those comments on the Bushnell Facebook page they contacted me and ended up replacing the unit. A customer should not have to jump through hoops and take back door channels to get a warranty replacement. I have used a few cheaper models and ended up giving them to family and friends. 

My v3 also has a sun spot in the lens but they only offered me $150 off a new one, but of course they wouldn't ship it to me lol. It has been working for about a year since it happened, but now it seems like it's finally kicking the bucket. Tried a new battery but it's not helping.

My buddy has a V5 shift and, unsurprisingly, it works great. Quick lock on and jolt, clear optics, feels solid as you would expect.

I'm a brand ho through and through, and the price difference between the V5 shift and this new NX-10 isn't that much... it's just hard to not go with the tried and true, ya know?

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

• 1 year later...