Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Urethane or not?

Gaw

On 6/13/2022 at 6:08 AM, Gaw said:

Thanks Buddy

Not sure we get the 2for1's here in the UK that you guys get in the US.

I'll definitely give the DTC outfits a proper look.

Thanks again!

I'll second this for Snell. Been gaming them for several years. They're essentially ProV's, but just over $30/doz US. They're having minor supply issues right now but those will go away. I play the MTB-X, but the MTB Black seems to have almost as much spin with irons and wedges. Black is a bit lower compression, so that might suit you better since you been playing a softer feeling ball. 

12 hours ago, Gullbyrd said:

Here’s the truth. It doesn’t matter what ball you play unless you’re a plus handicapper. My index is currently 3.5 and I prefer Top Flites, but I generally play whatever I find, mostly water balls. It makes no difference. You’re paying for marketing and status. 

Not even close to being the truth. Not. Even. Close.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Have you tried any of the Cut Golf balls, i.e. the Blue or the Grey?

Cobra Driver 11 degree

Cobra 3 Wood 

Cobra 7 Wood

Sub 70 669 irons 5-7

Sub 70 699 Pro irons AW-8

Callaway Forged SW 56 degree

Callaway MD 60 degree

Tour Edge Blade Putter

Kirkland Signature V2 balls

I'll second what many others have said on the Q-Star Tour. I started playing in 2020 and used the Kirklands for a while but thought they seemed super spinny on off-center driver hits - MGS ball test confirmed that. Have tried the TM Tour Response, Titleist Tour Speed, Maxfli Tour, and Srixon Q-Star Tour. Out of all of those Q-Star Tour has been my favorite. I see less distance with it compared to a ProV1 or Maxfli Tour, but I like the feel of it and drive it consistently straight and my mishits aren't too bad.

16 hours ago, J Connelly said:

Is there a huge difference between the older BXS golf balls and the newer ones? I hit the older ones well, but haven't invested in the newer ones yet. Does anyone know?  I love the way they feel with my irons and they are long off the tee?

In testing, the main difference is in the long game. They've been able to take some spin off with the long clubs, presumably due to the improved 'impact modifiers' in the cover technology. Still tons of spin in the short game. I used to game BXS (2 or 3 generations ago) because I liked the flatter flight and short game control, but I have to be really careful about not over-spinning them. Kept seeing too many shots ripping off the front of the green, even with a mid-iron, so I had to move into something with less overall spin. But the BXS is definitely a beast of a ball.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

2 hours ago, Tim Bozarth said:

I've tried the Grey. So-so performance. Not the longest and not the spinniest. There's a lot more out there that work better for me personally.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, Tim Bozarth said:

I tried the DC Blues. CRAZY firm cover and reminded me a lot of the first-gen Callaway Chrome Soft X LS. However, totally unplayable for me as a single iron shot from the fairway ripped a scuff in the cover. It was like the worst of the 90s in a single ball: firm like a Top Flite and cut like a balata!

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I am a similar player good for 1 ball a fairway over per round, carry 275-300 depending on temps. College baseball. Strong iron and wedge game. I LOVE playing Srixon XV and buy them early in the year at 4 dozen for under $30/dozen. I also find Snell MB or Snell MBT-X are well made and long balls… dirty tends to stick. Callaway Warbirds and Titelist Velocity are good distance but generally don’t spin well so hit ‘em high or adjust for the roll. Currently you can get 5 dozen Vice Pro Plus for $144 - never played them but seems like a deal and better for longer hitters. More to come. 

On 6/13/2022 at 1:36 AM, Gaw said:

I have a bit of a dilemma. 
I’ve been buying last years Bridgestone Tour B XS for the last few months at £28 a dozen but the place I buy them from has run out of last years model. 
I can’t stomach paying £40 a dozen when I’m still so erratic with driver in hand. But I do hit it a reasonable distance. I carry around 260 at the moment and I’d say roughly 60% find fairways and the other can be as far as two fairways away. 
It would be easy to go with a straighter flying distance 2 piece distance ball but the issue I have is that my iron play is strong. So a urethane cover with approach shots has been almost game changing for me at times. 
Which ball do I go for next? I don’t want to pay more than £30 a dozen as I can still lose half a dozen a round if I’m on a real bad one. 
I was considering the Kirkland but worry some reviews state it spins too much which will make driver worse. I also played with the e12 contact for a while but I lost some distance swinging 100+ mph. 
Srixon AD333 is also tempting as it seems to spin well for a 2 piece ball. 

Any recommendations are welcome as I’m running out of my Bridgestones. 

Thanks in advance

I shipped some Srixon AD333 to the US and I find them to be fantastic but can’t always find deals. Srixon balls are made at different plants depending on the ball… personally I find the Q-Star Tour balls to be poorly made… you can often feel air pockets and then watch them tumble through the air. Can’t imagine they help your putting. That said, love most Srixon balls. XV, Z, AD333 and even find the Soft Feel adequate in a pinch. Long, Don’t roll on approach shots and are easy to see. 

On 6/13/2022 at 2:36 AM, Gaw said:

I have a bit of a dilemma. 
I’ve been buying last years Bridgestone Tour B XS for the last few months at £28 a dozen but the place I buy them from has run out of last years model. 
I can’t stomach paying £40 a dozen when I’m still so erratic with driver in hand. But I do hit it a reasonable distance. I carry around 260 at the moment and I’d say roughly 60% find fairways and the other can be as far as two fairways away. 
It would be easy to go with a straighter flying distance 2 piece distance ball but the issue I have is that my iron play is strong. So a urethane cover with approach shots has been almost game changing for me at times. 
Which ball do I go for next? I don’t want to pay more than £30 a dozen as I can still lose half a dozen a round if I’m on a real bad one. 
I was considering the Kirkland but worry some reviews state it spins too much which will make driver worse. I also played with the e12 contact for a while but I lost some distance swinging 100+ mph. 
Srixon AD333 is also tempting as it seems to spin well for a 2 piece ball. 

Any recommendations are welcome as I’m running out of my Bridgestones. 

Thanks in advance

YOU CAN GO ON GOLFBALLPLANET.COM AND BUY USED ONES, pick the grade you want and tell them you want the older version Bridgestone, I like those also

On 6/13/2022 at 6:13 PM, Fran83 said:

Try the seed SD X1. The best ball I've played and a fraction the price of its top competitors.

If you get the on subscription its even cheaper.

I've played them all year and wont be going back.

https://seedgolf.com/products/seed-sd-x1-the-pro-x1-subscription

I have yet to have one of these "other brand" balls feel like a ProV1. Vice, Kirkland, Snell etc just have a feel that I don't care for