Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

An "interesting" experiment with putter grips on an Evnroll 5 putter

Bobbers

Tried an Evnroll 5 putter.  Came with one of their "Tru Tac" grips that weighs in at 90 grams.  Putted acceptably but nothing special and the "feel" just wasn't quite right for me.  Decided to experiment a bit.

I removed the grip and replaced it, initially, with a Super Stroke Traxion 2.0

; one of those grips where you can add a weight down the shaft if you so desire.

The grip change resulted in going from a 90 gram to about a 45 gram putter grip weight.

Took it to the course with me yesterday and put a 50 gram and 75 gram weight in my bag just in case I felt the need to change based on putter performance.

It wasn't a particularly idyllic day yesterday morning in southeastern Wisconsin; temp was about 54 degrees when teeing off and winds were in the 14-18 mph range.  Felt a lot more like November than June to be honest.

Made three ten footers, drained a 50 foot birdie putt, and had a pretty stress free day on the greens all in all.

To be clear, I've used heavier grip weight putters in the past, generally felt they gave me a better "feel" of what was going on with the putter.

While this might be the exception I'm going to ride it for a while and see if I'll finally have some stability in my putting game.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

Very interesting; keep us posted. 

Your avatar is 💯! I’m a big fan of Zeeba Zeeba Eata!! 👍🏼👍🏼

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Played yesterday, which was a really dumb idea considering it was about 94 with wind velocities in the 25-35 mph range.  Had some time before the round to experiment a bit more. 

I'd installed a SS Traxion grip so I could add weight down the grip.  Installed a 75 gram weight which, in other applications, I've found to be helpful.

It wasn't helpful.  Removed it and, voila, my results improved quite a bit.

Seems I'm one who likes a heavier feel to the head when it comes to putter construction.

I may try a 25 or a 50 gram counterweight just to be thorough.  The good news is I have no preconceived notions so it'll be easy to be candid.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I did something similar with my Evnroll ER10 Outback putter.   I selected the Evnroll gravity grip when I had the putter built and it just didn't seem to perform the best for me.  So, I took off the gravity grip and replaced it with a legacy Super Stroke Slim 3.0 countercore grip.  I started without the weighted insert, but eventually added the 50-gr. weight.  Since doing so my stroke and putter feel better and I'm making more putts.

Unfortunately, after a few rounds with the weighted Super Stroke grip, they aerated and top dressed our greens (the first of three during the summer).  As result, I switched to a higher lofted putter to help me get the ball up and rolling over the sand-filled holes.  After aeration number three later this summer I'll switch back and continue my version of your experiment.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

The "experiment" part caught my eye. Part of my fun in golf now. Remember everyone is different that is why there is such a variety of equipment these days. Do not go mainstream find what works for you no matter how out of the box of conventional thinking it seems. There is no one perfect by the book way to do things

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Evnroll has 50 gram Tour Tac grip if you like the shape and feel.  I don’t know if they offer it on their website but you can order it directly with a phone call.  Good luck!

Titleist 915D2 9.5 set at A4

Tour Exotics CB2 15*

Rogue Pro Irons 5-Aw 2* flat

Vokey SM6 56* S and 60* K