TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bucket Hats

PBH3

When it's real hot I use the Imperial Watershed hat, $50, because you can wet it down under a faucet and it stays cool for quite a while. Just add water every 5-6 holes. It's great. When It's not that hot I use a Palmer hat. Check Fanatics as they usually have them on sale after a PGA/USGA/PGA Tour event. They are around $35. Neither are Spaulding hats! LOL!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

6 minutes ago, ParFore74x said:

I actually have a couple of these in my cart on an online store right now. Trying to decide if I need one or two. 😂 

As they say, double your pleasure.  🥳

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I picked this one up on Amazon a while back, Einskey Sun Hat. They have an adjustable elastic cord around the headband so it is easy to get a custom fit. They are $16.99 today, I think I paid $24.  Lots of colors available, I went with the color shown below since lighter equals cooler.  I like it for keeping the sun off my ears and neck.  The vents are nice, but nothing will fix the humidity here in Georgia!  I wore it Thursday for league golf.  I give it 👍 👍 for the functionally and price. 

SmartSelect_20220617-185843_Amazon.jpg.37c8010156b9ae6d6d23f21463a7c3b5.jpg

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

11 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

don't know who coined "bucket" hat because it is not a good term for what is closer to a Boonie hat I wore in uniform deployed in Iraq

I loved my Boonie hats! I had to toss my last one I had from the early 80's. I think I still have a pair of OG-107s that I was issued!  The odds of me ever fitting in them is astronomically small! 

Thank you for your service,  Easy! 

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 3/F Baffler Rail F 15.5°

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

On 6/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, ParFore74x said:

I’ve contemplated this as well. The larger brim almost seems like a necessity on the hot sunny days. I look at them almost every time I’m in a sporting goods store but have yet to find one that tickles my fancy. 

I have used a hat from Dorfman for years. It is a heavy canvas fedora hat. The entire hat including the brim is stiff enough that it doesn't droop nor get in the way even in the wind. It protects my ears and neck as well as my face and eyes. The stiff brim is wider than on a bucket hat.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

I also live in AZ. Love buckets during the summer. Mine has cooling mesh above the brim built in which I have found to be a necessity to get the heat dissipated from the top of the head. Can throw in to a cooler of ice water and really keeps the head cool. I don't give much thought to fashion.

Edited by Beakbryce

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I have a couple of them I wear and also put up my umbrella on my Clicgear during the hot sunny days, then I have a neck fan game changer!

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, chisag said:

... Exactly. I never really understood the appeal of bucket hats. Brim is too short to protect your skin or shield your eyes from the sun. But sun hats with wide brims are an absolute necessity in very sunny and hot locations. If I am in bright sunlight with temps above 100 and I remove my hat to wipe my brow, it seems instantly about 10* hotter since it works like a mini umbrella. 

Bucket hats are good in the rain. Me I wear the wide brim floppy ones like you have in your avatar. I have been using them since a friend of mine got skin cancer. From what some say my chances are nill on skin cancer since I am Native American heritage and have somewhat dark skin and still have a full head of long thick dark hair. I am not taking chances. I have came to relish them and today I am rocking my wide brimmed straw Tabasco Hat. LOL it has my exact feelings on life in general on the back of the band as in "Bite Me". It goes along with my persona of long hair shades and a cigar and I have came to relish it. Besides do not tell my wife the ladies love it!!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/16/2022 at 5:40 PM, chisag said:

... With virtually everyday full sun and hot here in Phoenix, I went down a rabbit hole and have 10 sun hats  🤪  (2 still have tags on them). Once I found the Walter Hagen hats in white and light gray with a very wide brim that you see in my avatar, I stoped using the others. When winter rolls around and temps get back in the 60/70's I will wear the darker colored sun hats again. 

bHats.JPG.75cdadaf49132782e8c2fa83e24d24e0.JPG

Exactly--- LOL one of my course owners gets on my butt since I wear a couple with my old course logo. They have some in the Pro Shop in black and dark blue. I told him the other day who in the heck wants to wear a dark hat when it is 100* outside. Plus mine have the chin strap which you need here in the wind and theirs don't

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 6/16/2022 at 7:15 PM, chisag said:

... That reminds me of working as a Lifeguard at Myrtle Beach back in '72. Worked all summer with no days off so one day ran into the next and after a few weeks it was hard to keep track of what day it was. But Saturdays and Sundays followed a pattern with a bunch of Lilly white people on Saturday and a bunch of bright red people on Sunday. ☀️🦞  I tried to warn them once I understood the pattern but they didn't need some 19yr old telling them how to spend their vacation! 

72 Myrtle Beach--- We may have crossed paths then and did not know it---- We lived down here at that time my old Man was working on the Kings North Project as a player consultant. Step Mom was still in Charlotte running the course. Me at 15 had the whole run of the beach all day most of the time. Now around 67 or 68 my aunt ( Dads sister) and her husband ran the house for John's Beach Service. That old place is still tucked back in the woods last time I saw at Grissom and 21st. She cooked and took care of the house and he did the maintenance work on the house and beach equipment. They left about 70 or so and went with John's Beach service in Del Ray Beach Fla. I remember the Beach service had an old rusty Navy grey jeep they used and I got to rid with him up and down the beach---- That is why I call BS on some of these people down here who say well you have only been down here 22 years. I tell them I lived here on and off for 5 years in the late 60s and 70s. I always knew it was my destiny and when I had opportunity I came back here permantaly WFO---- Sorry guys got off topic

G

On 6/16/2022 at 7:54 PM, GrumpyGolf said:

Yeah, as a hotel lifeguard in FL back in the 80's.  I would work weekends during from Nov thru April and all the Pasties and Lilies would make their annual migration from the cold confines of the north down to the land of Mickey for their winter retreat or their winter migration.  You could always tell the new arrivals by their pasty or lily white skin as they would come down to the pool to relax before the attraction trips began.  We would tell them all to please put on some skin protection but they would do one of two things.  The first group would say they don't need any, its December and only in the high 70s plus they never burn. They would look like lobsters by the time they went in.  The second group were the sun worshippers and instead of putting on sun block they would put sun tan lotion (or as we called it sun burn lotion) and they would just burn faster, kinds like putting oil in a skillet and turning up the heat.  Do you know how miserable it is to have to strap into a ride when it is pressing against your burn shoulders?

LOL  we call it cooking oil. And I always say now I know how Larry the Lobster feels. Yeah I quit trying to tell Tourons anything they know it all. Had a Touron remark the other day I had to be a local because of my tan. I told him well I am 1/2 Cherokee plus I am retired and play golf and hit balls most everyday.

G

12 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

Personally I really Like the Titleist Aussie hats and have worn them for a number of years with good results.  The white ones do get a little dirty, but I just spray a little shout on them and put them in the top of the dishwasher and as they say, "shout it away".  Place them on a towel and let them dry.  Have them in grey, khaki, white/blue, white/aqua, white/black.  Picked up two of the new Charleston Aussie hats from this years line which are much lighter white/black and white/grey.  They also fit those who have a larger head better than the regular Aussie hats.  Here in Charleston, SC the heat index is already hitting over 110 these are a must.  Makes my dermatologist very happy and me too.  Here are the new ones I recently picked up.  

Chas Aussie Black.JPG

Chas Aussie Grey.JPG

Did not realize you are right down the road from me somme 75 miles or then again I may have forgotten it

G

After numerous trips to the dermatologist for pre-cancer and cancer tumor removals on my head, face, neck, ears, I switched to the full brimmed hat for golf and other outdoor activities. I also slather sun screen on exposed areas and just ordered sun sleeves from Foot Joy. The sun is wonderful but when it comes to melanoma it is not your friend. Yes, get some full brimmed hats and save your face and ears!!!!!

Golf Gear Head

3 hours ago, deikner said:

I wear nothing but wide brim hats since I play 200 rounds a year and mostly in Arizona. My dermatologist says they help tremendously in protecting against skin cancer.

20211112_100752.jpg

I just started playing again and at my age and with my complexion (just like yours), I'll be investing in a few biggies to keep the sun off my face and neck.  As a fashion choice, we could do worse I suppose...

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: 3W - Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth irons, 5-PW, AW, Dynamic Gold Stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:taylormade-small: Tour Soft

Wish list - Sub70 699 pro irons, Titleist TSI 3 driver

I wear army "Boonie" hats.  They are cool they breath and they shade the eyes, ears, nose and neck.  They also have the benefit of having a sweat band that raps around the entire head, so when one area is to damp to stop sweat from running down your face you can just turn it and it still looks the exact same. 

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Walking through Scheel’s today and saw a few if these sitting on the shelf in the golf section. Decided there was no time like the present and bought one. 

8807F516-7066-41FB-BACF-A5E57922B9F4.jpeg

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

On 6/18/2022 at 12:06 PM, Violinguy said:

I just started playing again and at my age and with my complexion (just like yours), I'll be investing in a few biggies to keep the sun off my face and neck.  As a fashion choice, we could do worse I suppose...

I came to embrace the "fashion aspect" but to be blunt and to the point fashion be dammed when it comes to protection. I do not want anyone whether he is a board certified surgeon or not cutting on me. I personally have not had any problems per say but mainly because of my long hair and dark complexion but I am not taking any chances. I know a lady down here that we have known for 20 years. She is what we call a "Sun Worshiper" in good weather she is on the beach period. She has not worked since we have known her. Her late husband left her pretty well off finincially. Now she is about my age (64) and she is having all kinds of skin cancer problems and some in the long run may be fatal. 

G

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

I came to embrace the "fashion aspect" 

but to be blunt and to the point fashion be dammed when it comes to protection. 

... Big'un I would posit there is a difference between "looking good" and looking "fashionable". Fashion comes and goes but looking good never goes out of style. And of course protection is more important than looking good. My legs aren't exactly pleasantly eye catching slathered in white zinc sun protection but I prefer looking like a Kabuki Golfer than taking a chance of skin cancer. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

8 minutes ago, EasyPutter said:

Of course a wide brim hat can look fashionable!

... Yes it can look fashionable. Unless it is out of fashion*. But it can always look good, especially if you don't care about fashion. 🤪

*"Fashion: The term implies a look defined by the fashion industry as that which is trending."

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Yes it can look fashionable. Unless it is out of fashion*. But it can always look good, especially if you don't care about fashion. 🤪

*"Fashion: The term implies a look defined by the fashion industry as that which is trending."

That is funny you called me Big Un--- That is the name my neighbors in Gaffney SC pinned on me--- As far as fashion like everything else in life I do my own thing and could care less about the mainstream. We also have a term down here actually two of them having to do with the "beach lifestyle" One is "shabby chique" and the other one is a Pawleys Island thing called "arrogantly shabby".  I take credit on this end of the beach any how for starting the Tommy Bahama thing on the golf course. I know for a fact I was the first one on this end of the beach to wear Tommy Bahama or Jimmy Buffett shirts on the golf course. Now days at our course especially in the shootout there can be more than a dozen guys wearing that type shirt. Saturday I wore a Polo with our club's crest on it. Someone asked me about that and I sorta snarled at them that everyone copied me and I changed styles some. Yeah I do my own thing as to what ever I think of at the time. 

G

11 hours ago, EasyPutter said:

I know, I didn't ensure I was using the right definition 😳 [I never learn]  but fashion is a fickle thing and so changeable - perhaps we could lead this fashion thing ourselves - generate a MGS forum in Member Community entitled Golf Fashion Trends for 2023 and forecast the golfer's wide brim hat as haute couture!  (and get rid of that nasty moniker "bucket hat")

Now I have heard them called 'fisherman's hats"------ I have also heard them called drunks at the racetrack hat----- In the 60s you could buy them around the racetrack with one's favorite kind of beer printed on them with the little tag kinda official like saying--- I am an alcoholic in case of emergency get me a insert favorite beer. Man I bet those would go over good in today's PC society

Edited by BIG STU

G

I wear a "sun hat" as they are sometimes called to cut the grass.  My wife says I look like her father when I wear it. 

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: 3W - Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth irons, 5-PW, AW, Dynamic Gold Stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:taylormade-small: Tour Soft

Wish list - Sub70 699 pro irons, Titleist TSI 3 driver

A large brimmed, formed and with open mesh on the upper portion is the hat of choice during hot months.  Very similar to those fishing hats.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

On 6/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, EasyPutter said:

I learned about dark colors and the sun a long time ago. When on the Outer Banks with the family Plymouth Fury II station wagon a perfect height then to lean on the hood and quickly removed arm for the searing heat - we immediately understood the frying an egg on it comment.  When years later had my own Volare station wagon in black and sun would go through the tinted glass heating interior to 127 (had a thermometer on the dash), then for privacy added limousine black tinting to everything except front door glass and windshield and interior temp never got over 107 again - limiting the sun getting past the dark surface kept things on the other side cooler.  Lesson applies to clothing too, any color t-shirt under a dark golf shirt is sufficient to make it cooler and any dark hat with an air space with airflow through it is also a cool hat.  That navy Stick&Hack logo Robertson's hat I posted has a top panel made of one thin layer of fabric that breathes and is one of the coolest hats I wear as it also shades face, ears and neck.  🙋‍♂️ now you know one person who wears a dark hat when it is 100* outside 😅 

2 of my big trucks were black. They were cab over flat top Internationals. They were a bear to keep cool in the summer especially down South. Usually had to put a A/C compressor every year. When the warranty ran out I said nuts to that. Now the windows were legally tinted too. I was at the house one day and the brain went off. Ended up taking the one I drove and masked the top off and sanded and repainted white. Man what a difference that made. I told the guy who was driving the other one and he said he would help me free of charge. We did that one and it made all the difference in the world. In SC all our school busses are safety yellow by law but if you look closely the tops are all painted white. On the trucks I kept those 2 more years and never put an A/C compressor on either one. LOL I had a little deal going there. Those trucks used a Tecumsea brand compressor which was what the Ford products used at the time. Same part number as an International compressor but the one for a Lincoln Continetal was $100 cheaper. I did replace 2 one on each truck after the warranty ran out but never replaced either one after my conversion

Edited by BIG STU

G

I always my Tilly or my wide brim Panama hat on the course during the summer.   I can drench the Tilly in cold water and then wear it, whereas the Panama couldn't handle all the water.  But it does have a really nice brim that keeps the sun off and is great when there's a nice sea breeze.

My two cents worth. When my doctor of 25 years told me to start wearing a wide brim hat to slow down the cancer spots, i complied. That hits home. Everyone should where them. Sun screen helps some, but no sun is better. i wear my Titleist and Nike Wide brim hats all the time outside, even when i'm not golfing.

to those that think you look dorky, i say, rather look dorky than be dead.

Driver PXG Gen 5 0311 Project X Evenflow riptide CB 60

3 and 5 Woods PXG Gen 5 0311 Project X EvenFlow Riptide CB 60

4-W Ping i525 Project X I/O

48, 54, 60 Wedges Ping Glide 4.0 Ping CFS

Titleist Prov1 ball