TESTERS WANTED! ×

Bucket Hats

PBH3

Seen too many guys with skin cancer on tops of their ears cuz baseball cap doesn’t cover them. I used to wear Hogan / Kangol style hats, but ear skin cancer changed my mind & love my Ping bucket. I like the look of the Titleist bucket too.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Joel dahmen playing good this weekend had to be good for the bucket hat business. I have an Aussie style hat that I wear every know and then. Brim is a touch to big and it hits my arms from time to time with my swings

Edited by RollingGreens

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I'm also a member of the bucket hat brigade. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

The first of many showed up today!

IMG-1759.jpg

:callaway-small: BB Epic 10.5 turned down to 9.5. Stiff - Driver

:755178188_TourEdge: 3W - Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge: EX-9 3 & 5 hybrids, stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth irons, 5-PW, AW, Dynamic Gold Stiff

:vokey-small:SM6 56-degree SW, and 60-degree wedge

:ping-small: Zing Putter w/Winn NTP midsize grip

:taylormade-small: Tour Soft

Wish list - Sub70 699 pro irons, Titleist TSI 3 driver

Now if I can only get one of these, I wouldn't need a cart either.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Here’s my Sun blocker…..

6F888618-FEB4-4935-B6DB-D54FA1E89D68.jpeg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I never played in a bucket hat. But you guys are making valid points and I think I'm going to try one. I do have a question although this may sound stupid but......... What do you do with those annoying strings that some of the hats have? I don't think I would like anything hanging down or cinching anything up to my chin. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

13 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I never played in a bucket hat. But you guys are making valid points and I think I'm going to try one. I do have a question although this may sound stupid but......... What do you do with those annoying strings that some of the hats have? I don't think I would like anything hanging down or cinching anything up to my chin. 

When the wind is blowing, I have to cinch it, or it blows off.  You get used to it.  Even if it doesn't blow off, I am always thinking it will during my swing... not a good idea.

If no wind, they just go into the hat before I put it on.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

24 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I usually place it on the back side of my head, running down my back. Now that I've heard @Kenny B mention stuffing it into the hat, I'll have to try that.

56 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I... What do you do with those annoying strings that some of the hats have? I don't think I would like anything hanging down or cinching anything up to my chin. 

I take them off. If it's really windy I wear a baseball hat. The brim on a bucket hat is like one big wing in the wind.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

3 minutes ago, hohjoe said:

I take them off. If it's really windy I wear a baseball hat. The brim on a bucket hat is like one big wing in the wind.

I do the same.  If I wear a wide brimmed hat, and the wind suddenly comes up, I swap the hat for a baseball type hat.

I have a couple of Tilley bucket hats with the strings that can easily be stuffed anywhere.  My favorite sun hat is a Dorfman Pacific Soaker hat that I keep wet the entire round; it doesn't have strings, but they have models that do.

41DSVt26-eL._AC._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpeg.0d8a1a452df282f2609698ee3deaf595.jpeg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/20/2022 at 5:06 PM, Always Ping said:

My two cents worth. When my doctor of 25 years told me to start wearing a wide brim hat to slow down the cancer spots, i complied. That hits home. Everyone should where them. Sun screen helps some, but no sun is better. i wear my Titleist and Nike Wide brim hats all the time outside, even when i'm not golfing.

to those that think you look dorky, i say, rather look dorky than be dead.

My dermatologist would usually mention skin protection on just about every visit and said the wide brim was better than regular baseball style hats.  Skin cancer is such a prevalent topic in today's world but he said the topic is not something new and suggested I look up old photos of American railroad workers. 

It was an eye opener. 

Jackson-County-railroad-worker..jpg.4ecbb972eb9ba79ba44fc7df03e67a6f.jpg

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

The chin strap can go in back, cinched up in back, cinched up under chin(tight or loosely), or, tucked inside the hat. Loosely under my chin doesn't seem to bother me, but, I only do that when it is windy, otherwise, the strap is in back, or, tucked into the hat.

There are sun hats with a detachable chin strap.

Living in Key West, we get a lot of sun.  My wife would lightheartedly ridicule me for wearing a wider brim bucket hat or larger brimmed hat when I left for the course or was out on the water.  That's of course until she had several cancerous areas removed.   Now she wears a wide brimmed hat any time she goes outside.

I like the Ahead brand hats.  They have the Nicklaus-branded bucket hat and the larger brimmed Palmer- branded hats.  I tend to swap them out depending on how much wind we are expecting at the course.   Less wind=wider brim.  Unfortunately, we tend to have a constant and often hard blowing wind here, so there are times I have to step back to a standard ball cap to keep it on my head.

Of course "When you buy a hat like that, I bet you get a free bowl of soup!"

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

You know who is so heavy he just sits there, like a lump.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’ve always just put the strings behind my neck, as others have stated. The wind can definitely become a factor so good to have a back up plan if need be. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I do the same.  If I wear a wide brimmed hat, and the wind suddenly comes up, I swap the hat for a baseball type hat.

I have a couple of Tilley bucket hats with the strings that can easily be stuffed anywhere.  My favorite sun hat is a Dorfman Pacific Soaker hat that I keep wet the entire round; it doesn't have strings, but they have models that do.

41DSVt26-eL._AC._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpeg.0d8a1a452df282f2609698ee3deaf595.jpeg

I have one of those in green.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

On 6/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, Gil B said:

I bought a couple of "bucket" hats and, unless they're vented, I find them much too hot. I found a "boonie/bucket" hat and it's well ventilated and very comfortable. If anyone out there knows of a good quality vented bucket hat please let me know where you got it/them.

Have a vented Top Flite hat, navy blue likley 40 years old now, it is the hat I wear almost always

I have an old, sun bleached, khaki boonie hat with the shotgun cartridge loops and brass vents that Inused to wear religiously on the course. It was greatbin the sun and kept the PNW rain off my face and neck. Even after getting drenched in a downpour. I wear ball caps more often that not these days, but I still have that "bucket" of a boonie hat floating around and I occasionallybrealize I should probablybbe wearing it instead of a ball cap.

Like equipment, whatever works for you should be what drives your choice. I'll keep an eye out for guys in bucket hats on the links, maybe it will be you. Cheers.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

I had a melanoma the size of a quarter on my head. I don’t care what I look like. I wear buckets and wide brim hats with spf 50 protection everywhere. 

Professional club maker/club fitter, retired

Founding member, former President, International Clubmakers Guild

Get yourself a Kangol and it'll be fashionable, circa 1987. I have now have 2 bucket hats. One cheap one from Walmart. Never was a fan since a friend of my stepson wore one, and we couldn't stand him. We realized it wasn't the hat's fault, and decided that it's good sun protection for my ears, and some of my neck.

Now if you want to ask about a winter had in the dead of summer, that is somehow considered stylish, then I'll give a side eye.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

On 6/22/2022 at 4:56 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have a Shelta hat.  They are made with wind in mind.  They come in a number of brim sizes so you can get as much or as little coverage as you want.  They have a stiff insert at the front of the brim so it doesn't flap around in the wind.  The strap has a clip and there is a loop at the back of the hat so you can clip it out of the way when you don't need it.  Or, the strap is also removable so you can take it off completely and reattach it when you need it.  It also has a draw-string adjustment, so you can make it fit perfectly. 

I am here for the bucket hats.  It took me so long to get over the ridiculous look at first but now I friggin own it.  I just bought my second one.  I'm nearing 40 and the sun takes a bigger toll on me than it used to by a lot.  I will say, I have the titleist "aussie" which is a bit thicker so it's not so floppy in a bit of wind or on a cart.  Which is nice.  I just got the callaway one which is vented and a lighter material which is nice for the hotter days (both are white).  

You do still need a traditional hat for very windy days but yeah, bucket hats are boss if you just lean into it.  Be that guy.  😉

Epic Flash 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with X-stiff hzrdus yellow

Epic Flash 3W with stiff Tensei Blue.

Apex 19 3 hybrid with catalyst 6.0

Apex 19 4 hybrid with TT tour elevate stiff steel (my favorite creation) 

Apex Pro irons 5-PW with TT tour elevate stiff steel

Jaws MD5 50 S grind S200

Jaws MD5 54 W grind tour elevate stiff (great for the soft Missouri turf; this is my dart throwing club)

PM Grind 60 KBS tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2022 (Went through SAM lab fitting and this nailed it; replaced the O-Works Jailbird-mini red)

13 hours ago, Jack Tatum said:

Caddie, former Mate on a fishing boat, old Irish Guy with a Dermatologist on my speed dial... 

There is the Shelta Hat and then there is everything else:

Shelta10_SEAHAWK_grande.jpg?v=1652462438

Well it looks good on her!

• :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :ping-small: G425 3 and 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 48 and CBX2 52/58 Wedges
  • :odyssey-small: 2 ball Ten Tour lined
  • :bridgestone-small:Tour BX ball
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes
  • :BagBoy: Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 7:22 PM, buckical said:

Started wearing bucket hats just recently...So far, ok. It's very hot here down south, high humidity and heat index, bucket hat seems to be working better than the "baseball" type I've worn for many years.

I in the south and on the hunt for a hat that can withstand the sweat. Melin (the hats Phil wears) are the only thing that doesn’t end up dripping sweat after a few holes. Came here looking for some suggestions. What bucket do you use?

• 2 weeks later...