Bucket Hats

PBH3

You know who is so heavy he just sits there, like a lump.

• Haha 3

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Hybrid: Maltby KE4 HDI 19°, 23° & 25° UST Recoil 660 F4

Irons: Maltby DBM Forged UST Recoil 660 F4
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S

Wedge: SCOR4161 46° and 50° 
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: MAXFLI Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I never played in a bucket hat. But you guys are making valid points and I think I'm going to try one. I do have a question although this may sound stupid but......... What do you do with those annoying strings that some of the hats have? I don't think I would like anything hanging down or cinching anything up to my chin. 

I’ve always just put the strings behind my neck, as others have stated. The wind can definitely become a factor so good to have a back up plan if need be. 

• Like 2

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 60g

:titleist-small: TS2 3W w/ Project HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:mizuno-small: T22 54° SW w/ TT DG S400

:callaway-small:  MD3 60° LW 

:ping-small: Anser 2

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I do the same.  If I wear a wide brimmed hat, and the wind suddenly comes up, I swap the hat for a baseball type hat.

I have a couple of Tilley bucket hats with the strings that can easily be stuffed anywhere.  My favorite sun hat is a Dorfman Pacific Soaker hat that I keep wet the entire round; it doesn't have strings, but they have models that do.

41DSVt26-eL._AC._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpeg.0d8a1a452df282f2609698ee3deaf595.jpeg

I have one of those in green.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM2

Fairway Woods: Tour Edge 3-5-7 E521

Irons: PXG 0211 DC 4-SW

Putter: SeeMore Si3

BatCaddy X8R

On 6/17/2022 at 4:39 PM, Gil B said:

I bought a couple of "bucket" hats and, unless they're vented, I find them much too hot. I found a "boonie/bucket" hat and it's well ventilated and very comfortable. If anyone out there knows of a good quality vented bucket hat please let me know where you got it/them.

Have a vented Top Flite hat, navy blue likley 40 years old now, it is the hat I wear almost always

I have an old, sun bleached, khaki boonie hat with the shotgun cartridge loops and brass vents that Inused to wear religiously on the course. It was greatbin the sun and kept the PNW rain off my face and neck. Even after getting drenched in a downpour. I wear ball caps more often that not these days, but I still have that "bucket" of a boonie hat floating around and I occasionallybrealize I should probablybbe wearing it instead of a ball cap.

Like equipment, whatever works for you should be what drives your choice. I'll keep an eye out for guys in bucket hats on the links, maybe it will be you. Cheers.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115
  • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 raw, 50/10 & 56/8*
  • Putter - Callaway Bobby Jones BJ-1
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - Snell MTB Black
  • *Going to try some new wedges this year - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex, jumbo Golf Pride Tour Velvet
  • Bag(s)/cart - Sun Mountain Synch/TM Flextech Lite, Sun Mountain Micro

I had a melanoma the size of a quarter on my head. I don’t care what I look like. I wear buckets and wide brim hats with spf 50 protection everywhere. 

Professional club maker/club fitter, retired

Founding member, former President, International Clubmakers Guild

Get yourself a Kangol and it'll be fashionable, circa 1987. I have now have 2 bucket hats. One cheap one from Walmart. Never was a fan since a friend of my stepson wore one, and we couldn't stand him. We realized it wasn't the hat's fault, and decided that it's good sun protection for my ears, and some of my neck.

Now if you want to ask about a winter had in the dead of summer, that is somehow considered stylish, then I'll give a side eye.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

On 6/22/2022 at 4:56 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I never played in a bucket hat. But you guys are making valid points and I think I'm going to try one. I do have a question although this may sound stupid but......... What do you do with those annoying strings that some of the hats have? I don't think I would like anything hanging down or cinching anything up to my chin. 

I have a Shelta hat.  They are made with wind in mind.  They come in a number of brim sizes so you can get as much or as little coverage as you want.  They have a stiff insert at the front of the brim so it doesn't flap around in the wind.  The strap has a clip and there is a loop at the back of the hat so you can clip it out of the way when you don't need it.  Or, the strap is also removable so you can take it off completely and reattach it when you need it.  It also has a draw-string adjustment, so you can make it fit perfectly. 

• Like 1

I have worn one a few times playing golf and should wear it full time when playing and it has been the hat of choice of most of the group of volunteer marshals (which included me) at the Mitsubishi Championship on the Big Island the last 8 years or so. They really are cooler in the heat and of course better protection from the sun for the face and neck. 

I am here for the bucket hats.  It took me so long to get over the ridiculous look at first but now I friggin own it.  I just bought my second one.  I'm nearing 40 and the sun takes a bigger toll on me than it used to by a lot.  I will say, I have the titleist "aussie" which is a bit thicker so it's not so floppy in a bit of wind or on a cart.  Which is nice.  I just got the callaway one which is vented and a lighter material which is nice for the hotter days (both are white).  

You do still need a traditional hat for very windy days but yeah, bucket hats are boss if you just lean into it.  Be that guy.  😉

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

Epic Flash 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with X-stiff hzrdus yellow

Epic Flash 3W with stiff Tensei Blue.

Apex 19 3 hybrid with catalyst 6.0

Apex 19 4 hybrid with TT tour elevate stiff steel (my favorite creation) 

Apex Pro irons 5-PW with TT tour elevate stiff steel

Jaws MD5 50 S grind S200

Jaws MD5 54 W grind tour elevate stiff (great for the soft Missouri turf; this is my dart throwing club)

PM Grind 60 KBS tour stiff

Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2022 (Went through SAM lab fitting and this nailed it; replaced the O-Works Jailbird-mini red)

Started wearing bucket hats just recently...So far, ok. It's very hot here down south, high humidity and heat index, bucket hat seems to be working better than the "baseball" type I've worn for many years.

• Like 1

Ping45

1 hour ago, Zivl3 said:

I have a Shelta hat.  

Caddie, former Mate on a fishing boat, old Irish Guy with a Dermatologist on my speed dial... 

There is the Shelta Hat and then there is everything else:

Shelta10_SEAHAWK_grande.jpg?v=1652462438

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jack Tatum said:

Caddie, former Mate on a fishing boat, old Irish Guy with a Dermatologist on my speed dial... 

There is the Shelta Hat and then there is everything else:

Shelta10_SEAHAWK_grande.jpg?v=1652462438

Well it looks good on her!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • :ping-small: G425 Max driver
  • :ping-small: G425 SFT 3 wood
  • :cobra-small: F-max 5 wood
  • :cobra-small: F9 5 hybrid
  • :callaway-small:  B21 irons 6-PW
  • :cleveland-small: CBX2 Wedges 52/58
  • :cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4 chipper
  • :taylormade-small: Ardmore 2 putter
  • :titleist-small: ProV1 balls
  • :Arccos: Arccos Caddie with Apple Watch
  • :footjoy-small: Hyperflex shoes

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2022 at 7:22 PM, buckical said:

Started wearing bucket hats just recently...So far, ok. It's very hot here down south, high humidity and heat index, bucket hat seems to be working better than the "baseball" type I've worn for many years.

I in the south and on the hunt for a hat that can withstand the sweat. Melin (the hats Phil wears) are the only thing that doesn’t end up dripping sweat after a few holes. Came here looking for some suggestions. What bucket do you use?

• 2 weeks later...