Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Chisag's Tip Of The Day #27

Play MORE Break on your putts

... A short and hopefully sweet tip. Another teachable moment I wanted to share as I played with a high index poor putter that really struggled with mid range and long lag putts resulting in several 3/4 putts and discouragement. While admittedly he could improve on his speed he constantly played way too little break and finally on the 16th green I stopped for a putting lesson since the course was empty in the heat after he asked if I had any putting advice. The 16th green has a lot of slope so I picked out a spot and asked him to stand 6 feet right of the hole and I hit a 40 footer right at him that rolled about a foot below the hole.  I asked him to now stand 2 feet right of the hole and putted right at him again and the putt rolled about 5 feet below the hole. Then I told him to stand about 8 feet right of the hole and he said "OK I know the break now so this has no chance of going in" and I putted right at him again and this time the ball rolled about 1 foot above the hole. Every putt had about 7 feet of break. 

... Looking at the balls on the green I asked him which two were the best putts and he said obviously either of the two balls near the hole. I told him the first putt was what I considered to be the correct break and it left me a basic tap in. The last putt I knew was more break than needed but it still left me a tap in. The worst putt left a 5 footer that I had him try and he missed but made both tap ins. I told him if he was absolutely sure of the break he should play that line, but if he had any doubt play more break than he thinks because the ball will always be rolling toward the hole and under reading the break means the ball will be rolling away from the hole. 

... This is the big mistake I see so many poor putters make. Under reading the break leads to 3 putts while over reading the break leads to a missed putt but ends up closer to the hole for easier finishing putts. This is not concerning shorter and what you think you should make putts, but mid range and longer lag putts you want to get close. So if you struggle with 3 putts, lag putts or unsure of the break or just want to experiment, play more break and see if it improves your putting. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Good tip!!  Getting the correct speed on big breaking putts is a skill that takes a lot of practice.  If you don't face them regularly, it's very easy to under read the break because the ball breaks more as it starts to slow down.  

... and then you factor in bermuda grass that breaks more because of grain or doesn't break at all when it should... and runs runs 5 feet past the hole on a flat putt because it's down grain, or stops 5 feet short because it's into the grain.  Did I say: "I hate bermuda greens"?  😂

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”