Shankster Gets Fitted: A Story

I have only one regret from my last fitting.  I was worried I had been losing yards to aging.  I made the mistake of saying that to my fitter.  I didn't notice at the time but all the clubs he gave me during the fitting were stronger lofted.  I love the feel of hitting my PXG irons and they are longer than my previous KZG irons.  The issue is I have lost my stopping spin.  The ball rolls out on all my new irons.   It takes to many options off the table for me.  I can club up for the yardages or move up a tee box.  I can't replicate the control of the ball I had.  This week I pulled out my KZG irons and put them back in my bag.  The results were very telling.  I could attack pins again because the ball just hopped and stopped or spun back a yard or two.  I love the feel of the PXG irons but the roll out takes to many shots into the green out of my bag.  It is hard to notice on the launch monitor that the ball is rolling out 10-15 feet.   I was planning for this purchase to carry me for the next 10 years.  I need the less stiff shaft in the PXG irons but I want to go back to my 4 degree gaps and standard lofts at least up to 7 iron.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M3 pure 

Fairways: Callaway Rouge 15*  Accra FX 2.0-100F M3 pure  

Hybrid: Callaway Maverick 4&5 Hybrids Accra FX 2.0-100H60 M3 pure  

Irons:  PXG Gen 3 0311 P 6-P  Fujikura Pro 75 pure

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2 50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54* & Renegar RxF  58*

Chipper: Cleveland Smart Sole C 46*  Great for just off the greens in the rough 

Putter: Positive Putter's custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Pro V1, Left Dot if I can get them Testing the Srixon Z-Star divide ball

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

7 hours ago, D Mackey said:

I have only one regret from my last fitting.  I was worried I had been losing yards to aging.  I made the mistake of saying that to my fitter.  I didn't notice at the time but all the clubs he gave me during the fitting were stronger lofted.  I love the feel of hitting my PXG irons and they are longer than my previous KZG irons.  The issue is I have lost my stopping spin.  The ball rolls out on all my new irons.   It takes to many options off the table for me.  I can club up for the yardages or move up a tee box.  I can't replicate the control of the ball I had.  This week I pulled out my KZG irons and put them back in my bag.  The results were very telling.  I could attack pins again because the ball just hopped and stopped or spun back a yard or two.  I love the feel of the PXG irons but the roll out takes to many shots into the green out of my bag.  It is hard to notice on the launch monitor that the ball is rolling out 10-15 feet.   I was planning for this purchase to carry me for the next 10 years.  I need the less stiff shaft in the PXG irons but I want to go back to my 4 degree gaps and standard lofts at least up to 7 iron.

Heard that.

Im telling the dude I want the smallest club that won’t completely destroy a round of I am having an off day.  They will be coming in from Elonville (space) no matter the club, so it is going to come down to consistency and my personal preference.

Aftter looking at those Rickie Fowler clubs everything else looks disgusting.  Even the Titleist blade has too much offset.  I hate the look of offset.  Hate it.

I have an ancient Kroyden 2 iron that I practice with. It says offset, but it is nothing I can see. The RF blades remind me of it, just gorgeous.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shankster said:

Callaway: IF they have the TCB I will try them, but I don’t know… something about this brand is a major turn off for me.

is it the way the brand does its marketing that you dislike? or is it just incompatibility performance-wise? same way I can't work with PING stuff...
EDIT: nevermind, just read your response to the question... I also used to know a guy who played a whole PING bag and I hated his guts as well...

• Like 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

On 6/20/2022 at 12:56 PM, Shankster said:

Also, I have always liked Cobra’s drivers.  So they will be on the list for sure.  I am fairly open on all of the clubs, but I can’t do GI irons.  So irons wise I’m looking at:

Titleist: T100, T100s, CB, MB

Taylormade: CB, MB, and maybe the 770…

PING: i59

Cobra: CB, Tour, MB, maybe 1 length but they might be too chunky…

Mizuno: JPX Tour, 221, and maybe 223

Callaway: IF they have the TCB I will try them, but I don’t know… something about this brand is a major turn off for me.

The Anser and the B.2 are in a heated battle at the moment.

We have close to the same handi-cap and I am certain you will find some excellent irons that fit your eye. I have 2 sets of irons due to being a Golf HO.

1. I have the 2021 Titleist T100s 7 - PW & T200 4 - 6 iron. The T100s are small has you have stated you like and very little offset.

2. I just purchased the 2022 Cobra King Forged Tec Irons 4 - PW with graphite shafts due to some pain I was having in my joints. They are excellent clubs too, but have more offset and the heads are a little larger than the Titleist.

As you stated, the shafts are one of the most important factors.

Good Luck on your fitting!

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  7 - PW T100S, 4 -6 T200 all with Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff 

Irons: :cobra-small: 4 - PW King Forged Tec with Aerotech Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Wedges:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 or Maxfli Tour

35 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

We have close to the same handi-cap and I am certain you will find some excellent irons that fit your eye. I have 2 sets of irons due to being a Golf HO.

1. I have the 2021 Titleist T100s 7 - PW & T200 4 - 6 iron. The T100s are small has you have stated you like and very little offset.

2. I just purchased the 2022 Cobra King Forged Tec Irons 4 - PW with graphite shafts due to some pain I was having in my joints. They are excellent clubs too, but have more offset and the heads are a little larger than the Titleist.

As you stated, the shafts are one of the most important factors.

Good Luck on your fitting!

I might do something stupid and just get a set of the RF irons.  I can’t stop looking at them.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Alan, just thought I'd mention that the the Rev 33 aka Proto irons are built to certain specs, you can get fit for the RF Forged MB with a ton of different shaft options, the only difference being they aren't CNC milled like the Rev 33s.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 15*, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX119 18* Hybrid, Project X Evenflow Blue, 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole 4.0 C, DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

:srixon-small: Z-Star XV Divide

1 hour ago, Berg Ryman said:

Alan, just thought I'd mention that the the Rev 33 aka Proto irons are built to certain specs, you can get fit for the RF Forged MB with a ton of different shaft options, the only difference being they aren't CNC milled like the Rev 33s.

Oh yes my man.  I’ve researched this to the end of the internet, nearly.

• Like 5

I'm also one who has a strong dislike of offset and big bulky irons. It's why I went with the 0311T irons of the PXG range.

I'd rather play a hybrid than a bulky offsetted longer iron, which is why I only went to a 5 iron with my new bag.

Obviously you won't be going with PXG, but lots of great players club options out there and any decent fitter will be able to get you into a set that meets your eye. Will be interesting to see what you end up with.

• Like 3

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind),  TAYLORMADE HI-TOE (60°)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

I might do something stupid and just get a set of the RF irons.  I can’t stop looking at them.

You do realize that even Ricky can’t hit those, right?

• Love 1
  • Haha 7

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Btw, I’m digging the 770’s more and more. Might be partly the Ventus red shafts too, not sure. I think the shafts get me more spin, so it’s enough. The extra 10 yds drops a club from the Hogan Icon blades, so the spin almost equals out. As always, everything depends on how well ya strike it.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 5-AW

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (second best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

2 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Btw, I’m digging the 770’s more and more. Might be partly the Ventus red shafts too, not sure. I think the shafts get me more spin, so it’s enough. The extra 10 yds drops a club from the Hogan Icon blades, so the spin almost equals out. As always, everything depends on how well ya strike it.

Yes, I do have an alternative plan.  Bending the JPX Tours or T100s 2° weak should eliminate most if not all of the offset in the 6-PW, and it will be significantly less in the 3-5 irons.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

Go for it! Stupid is good, stupid keeps us together...

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Fitting Day:

Woke up feeling like garbage, allergies are killing me right now.  Pretty sore all over, since our bed was moved last week, we are on an air mattress….

Hopeful Bag Outcome:

Driver: Something that hits Bombs and finds 50%+ of fairways.

Woods/Hybrid: Something that finds more than 50% fairways and hits Bombs.

DI: Sniper rifle accuracy, and trajectory.

Irons: The most forgiving Workable club I can stand to look at, with the least amount of offset.

Wedges: Something that I have confidence in looking at address.  Nothing higher than a 57° unless they flatten it.

Sounds easy enough right?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Fitting Day:

Woke up feeling like garbage, allergies are killing me right now.  Pretty sore all over, since our bed was moved last week, we are on an air mattress….

Hopeful Bag Outcome:

Irons: The most forgiving Workable club I can stand to look at, with the least amount of offset.

Wedges: Something that I have confidence in looking at address.  Nothing higher than a 57° unless they flatten it.

Good luck!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver: Honma TR 460 8.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 S, 45 1/4"; Ping G425 LST, Fujikura Speeder TR 661 S, 45 1/2"

hybrids: Cobra King Tec 17* and 21*, both with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105 X

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4-6, ZX7 7-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil F4, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Looks like I’m hitting off a mat though, bummer.

Tell them you aren’t hitting off no stinking mat, give me grass!

• Haha 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

Tell them you aren’t hitting off no stinking mat, give me grass!

I won’t hit irons off a mat, might have wasted a trip.  Still have 25 minutes till it’s my turn, traffic was a bit lighter than I expected.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:09 PM, Shankster said:

Haha.  You asked… you’ll get my honest answer.

When I worked at the golf course as a kid, all of the giant A-Holes had Callaway clubs. Put a bad taste in my mouth back then, and I’ve carried that sentiment with me ever since.

Best reason to exclude clubs as I have ever heard... come to think of it... the A-holes at my club growing up had Callaway too... subconscious avoidance perhaps.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Hopeful Bag Outcome:

This should be interesting!!!  Thanks for bringing us along Shankster!!

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX