Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Driver face worn, or just needs a clean?

Most of the scratches can be cleaned up.  How does anyone get their driver face so scratched up??  Must have only been used on the range with dirty range balls.  Clubs stay looking much nicer when hitting clean balls.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

That face has specific milling on it, so might be affected by the scratches.

Maybe I'm just picky, but if they've treated it that badly it's got that level of scratching, how else have they mistreated it that you can't see?

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Most of the scratches can be cleaned up.  How does anyone get their driver face so scratched up??  Must have only been used on the range with dirty range balls.  Clubs stay looking much nicer when hitting clean balls.

They may have been around here in this salt and sand environment. No matter how careful one is as in hitting clean balls and wiping down in this area after a while around here they will get beat up. IMHO does not affect the performance one bit. Me I am of the school if the performance is not affected then the cosmetics do not affect me. But that is just me. If I was purcchasing that driver I would use my high resolution phone camera to check for cracks etc

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Looks like the driver spent some time on the range which is generally okay. Cleaning the face should help a little but there are likely quite a few scratches in there. I don't see anything on that face that would affect performance. If you're going to buy it just make sure to carefully inspect the head for any dents, cracks, separation, etc. Also, closely inspect the shaft and look for any significant defects beyond surface scratches in the paint. Even better if you can hit it. If you can hit it and everything seems good, it's probably good. 

2 hours ago, Kansas King said:

Looks like the driver spent some time on the range which is generally okay. Cleaning the face should help a little but there are likely quite a few scratches in there. I don't see anything on that face that would affect performance. If you're going to buy it just make sure to carefully inspect the head for any dents, cracks, separation, etc. Also, closely inspect the shaft and look for any significant defects beyond surface scratches in the paint. Even better if you can hit it. If you can hit it and everything seems good, it's probably good. 

I have to get it mailed to me, so I will probably pass on it. It's just very cheap (140 dollars).

18 hours ago, Lamil said:

Hello MyGolfSpy

I've been offered to buy this driver, but I'm not that experienced with golf equipment,

so I'm just curious if the marks on the driver face will clean up, or if it's wear marks?

image.jpeg

Have you hit it?  How did you do?

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Outside of the crappy regripping job, I don't see anything wrong with it solely based on pictures. I can't figure out what they did when installing that grip. Is it an Arccos grip and they just stretched it to the max? IDK. You'll probably need to get it regripped if you buy it. The driver is probably cheap because of the grip and cosmetic condition. On my scale of risk, this club is a more risky purchase, say 7/10 on risk. The weird grip makes me wonder if they did any other weird things to this driver but that is impossible to tell by the photos. The hosel looks okay and I'm assuming it's the factory shaft in the driver.

Final conclusion:

Price is commensurate with cosmetic condition. Overall risk of purchase solely based on photos: 7/10. Risk is 5/10 if seller explains why the grip is the way it is and the explanation makes sense. 

Looks like a club that has hit a bunch of sandy range balls.  That could honestly be one range session, $140 is a good price for a radspeed and I wouldn't be worried about the face, most of the scratches are likely just in the paint.  Definitely one of the drawbacks of all these clubs with black faces, they look good when new but it only takes a couple of balls to make them look shoddy.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the club, just ask the seller if the scratches are in the paint or if they are deep and proceed accordingly and pay with Paypal.