TESTERS WANTED! ×

Are we Too reliant on our technology or should I say electronics?????

Reesedw

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

????   Explain this to me.  Why do the not allow the use of rangefinders?   

My bad, it's not courseS, but only 1 that I know of. They are very traditionalist... think Augusta... need a donation of around 50K to have a chance for membership, dress code is strictly enforced, etc... one time a friend of mine played a guest/host there and he was asked to change his polo shirt because it was too Hawaiian style??? His polo was tucked in his khaki pants, had sleeves and a collar... but they didn't like the print...

When he asked about why no LRF are allowed, they just said they would like to keep traditions alive... yeah I know... I guess if you are rich, you can do anything crazy...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Dave, you realize that the battery is sold in 2-packs.  😂  

BTW, my phone stays in my golf bag when I play and doesn't come out unless I want to take a picture... or call 911.

@Kenny B, Thanks for the reminder.. LOL.. It did not show low battery, the indicator still showed full battery... But after battery change it is working. I did have to reset the settings, since it reverted to >150yds so that took a little to figure out, since it's 15 yrs old WHY would you keep the instructions.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

6 hours ago, Middler said:

While I use a rangefinder often, I wear a GPS watch for scoring/stats and could use that for (less accurate) distance. But I’ve never been on a course, even “cow pastures”, that didn’t have 100-150 markers, most 200’s too. Pretty easy to pace off from them. I often pace off chips/pitches despite the technology we have. So I’m not reliant on tech to play golf even though I am also horrible at eyeballing distances.

OTOH we just lost high speed internet at home for 4 days - and life came to screeching halt - all 11 devices that rely on internet service were useless…😲

Have played many courses without these markers. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Have played many courses without these markers. 

I’ve seen this on cart mandatory resort courses with GPS maps on the cart  Never liked it, now most courses have yardage on the sprinkler heads which is okay if they are right  

Still loving the technology….

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I belong to two clubs, one in the north, one in the south. Neither one has yardages on the sprinkler heads anymore. The northern one does have plaques in the fairway at 100, 150, 200 and even 250 on par 5s. The Southern one has no markers for 100-150-200. 

I use a laser rangefinder, but I would be fine with just yardages marked to the center on sprinkler heads and pacing off the distance from there. 

When I took up the game in the 80s, I just used the 100, 150 yards bushes. For distance to the pin, I just assumed if a pin was in the back I should play and extra 8 yards from center, likewise a front pin I took off 8 yards. I've never been good enough that being off by 3-4 yards made much difference 

The advantage to today's distance finding technology is it helps me play a little faster.

It looks like a good day to play golf!

I grew up on courses with the 100, 150 and 200 posts as standard.  Even as a teenager, I practiced my paces to make sure I was stepping as close to one yard at at time to get the best distance.  But I too have become reliant on technology... though may be older technology.  I employ the gps.  I don't own a range finder.  My current club has flat markers in the fairway - that are difficult to find unless you happen to have landed your ball within a yard of them or so, and some sprinkler heads are marked, but I have found that those yardages aren't as accurate as I would have expected them to be... so I lean on the gps unit attached to my bag.  I do miss the red, white and blue posts in the fairway... if for nothing else, alignment aides off the tee!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Although I recently began using ARCCOS, which tends to make me pay more attention to the electronics than I normally would, I don't think we're too dependent on the devices.  I use the ARCCOS as a tool and as I continue to learn it, I look at it less often.  With regards to GPS, lasers, and other devices, I've never found them a hinderance or delaying the game any more than pacing off steps from a marker.  

Perhaps many of the newer golfers who've always relied on electronics may rely on them heavily, I'm certain that most golfers would do just fine without their devices.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

I do not miss the days of walking around trying to find a sprinkler head that might or might not be marked.  Tech is great, but I do kind of miss the old days when there was just a red, white and blue concrete disk in the fairway.  I played some good golf with that as my only point of reference.  

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

23 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I played some good golf with that as my only point of reference.  

And here lies the conundrum, are we better with it or without it? Some of us, like myself, like to eliminate every variable possible and technology definetly helps with this part but does it help me play better? That I am not sure of. 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

Short answer yes.... But I think unfortunately it goes well past golf.  I love using my electronics but I also try and guesstimate my numbers before I look that them, trying to keep myself able to see and feel what my great shot scope provides 

Happy golfing

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

I do not miss the days of walking around trying to find a sprinkler head that might or might not be marked.  Tech is great, but I do kind of miss the old days when there was just a red, white and blue concrete disk in the fairway.  I played some good golf with that as my only point of reference.  

Some of the "older" courses I play or have played still have the usual "standard" distance markers or marked sprinkler heads, but many courses seemed to have gone away from them. Don't know the reasons why, perhaps not getting the GAM to verify yardages of the holes/courses here in Michigan. 

57 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

And here lies the conundrum, are we better with it or without it? Some of us, like myself, like to eliminate every variable possible and technology definetly helps with this part but does it help me play better? That I am not sure of. 

Only time I would rely on technology (range finder) is at a course that is "new to me" or one that doesn't also have appropriate distance markers. Seems to help get proper distance more on the Par 3 holes than any other time usage, at least for me.

Learned the game and started playing in the late 60's and early 70's and it seems that the old methods made you a better "feel" type player, than the "point and shoot" methodology of hitting to exact spots or locations.

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

On 6/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

I'm as much a gadget guy as anyone. I rely on my smartwatch for distances on full swings and pull out my laser inside 100 for more granular measurements. And I'm not going to give those up, because they are legitimate tools within the rules as they stand.

But I am very sympathetic with the argument that they shouldn't be. It is for this reason that certain classic architects introduces features to trick the eye about distances. Being able to evaluate a distance accurately was, at one point, a skill that golf demanded.

Again, I'm not giving my gadgets up. I'm not even saying that they should be banned. But there is an aspect of the skill of golf that has been lost with the legalization of these tools.

... The way I look at it is rangefinders and GPS units finally allowed Am's to play like the Pro's. They have yardage books for every course they play and the caddie walks off yardage, not the player. 

... I played a blue collar muni course where my playing pard was the GM so I played there quite a bit. One hole in particular always gave me trouble. Walking off yardages I constantly came up short, although other holes were also a problem. When I got my first rangefinder I found the yardages from the 150 markers were off and that one hole was off by 15 yds. 

... But once you go down the road of "aspect of skill has been lost" almost every advance in golf would be the same. Play a round of golf with a persimmon driver, Wilson MB's with heavy steel shafts and a balata ball and I think using a rangefinder/gps pales in comparison. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I can take this a step in the complete wrong direction.  There is a course by me called Pound Ridge.  Pete Dye course.  They used to rope off and out cart signs on the course.  They took them all away with the new cart GPS that beeps when you shouldn’t do anything.  Now you are playing golf and everyone’s cart starts beeping.  Talk about annoying…just put the damn signs and ropes back out there.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

I can relate to your view on this 100%. I love seeing all the yardages, being able to decided how or what to hit. AND I love the arccos golf link and the data analytics it provides. But I do notice that when I play without the technology I tend to play better. While this my just be in my head. I will say I enjoy being on the course more when I don’t use tech. 

Funny Golfer GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Yes, I used to play using the distance poles on the fairway  Tried a couple if different apps on the phone. Got to be a hassle pulling out the phone every shot. Bought a Garmin this year. Oh man, what a breeze! Walk up to your ball, distances are there, choose a club, play! So much less fooling around. I even used to keep score on the phone. Such a hassle! Went back to paper scorecard. I keep track of putts, lost balls, fairway, or not. The game is actually fun again! As said before, a lot of courses do not have distance markers anymore. That's ok, as my watch is fairly accurate. Had an approach shot to a blind green. Could see the pin, but had to shoot over a mound to the green. My GPS watch said 70 yards to front, as this was a red flag pin. I added 5 yards, to clear the mound, and launched a skyhigh shot, which I knew was my max on a full sand wedge. Dropped it to 6 feet from the pin. Can't ask for better than that! Will trust my Garmin a little more now! Knowing my "max" on my wedges helped me with that decision. Easy peasy!!!

Edited by drb1956

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I HATE the ongoing scoping shooting laser tagging every bunker bump and knob by every player on every shot. It really slows play down. And usually the people with zero distance control want eight readings before they pick a club then change their mind.

You want to speed up play, yardage books and fairway markers are all that's needed.

In cart GPS is a waste on carts only days.  I really like my GPS watch that gives me yards front and back. I've usually played my shot before partner has figured out his distance and even thought about club.

And yes, there is something added to the game when you have to step off 17 paces from the 150 to your ball and figure 167 (or 133 for the long hitters on the other side of 150.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

21 minutes ago, TitleistMike said:

I HATE the ongoing scoping shooting laser tagging every bunker bump and knob by every player on every shot. It really slows play down. And usually the people with zero distance control want eight readings before they pick a club then change their mind.

You want to speed up play, yardage books and fairway markers are all that's needed.One of the big problems I found with say the 150 marker is In cart GPS is a waste on carts only days.  I really like my GPS watch that gives me yards front and back. I've usually played my shot before partner has figured out his distance and even thought about club.

And yes, there is something added to the game when you have to step off 17 paces from the 150 to your ball and figure 167 (or 133 for the long hitters on the other side of 150.

... I don't know who you play with, but all of my partners and the many strangers I have been paired up simply pull their rangefinder, shoot the distance to the pin and are done in 10 seconds or less. If we are on the tee it only takes one rangefinder. Playing unfamiliar courses I need to know how far to the water or bunker IF I think they are in play. When playing a familiar course and the pin is tucked over a bunker, I need that information but shoot them both at the same time.

... It takes much longer to step off yardage. One of the big problems I find with yardage markers is if the pin is middle left and I am 10yds left of the marker that is a much smaller number than if I am 10yds right of the marker and it is easy to be a half club off or more when a rangefinder gives me exact yardage. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 6/21/2022 at 11:55 AM, cnosil said:

GPS and rangefinders are more convenience items for me.  I stared when we had to step off distances based on yardage markers and could do it again if necessary.   Surprised you found a course with no markers.

im mixed about on course shot tracking.  I think I understand my game well enough to know where I need improvement.  

I am pro launch monitors but think some people get too wrapped up in chasing numbers.  

That is how I started and still play.

More convenience than anything else.  Now I don't need a yardage book for every course I play.  

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

OK, i understand where you're coming from --- but try to think back before the electronic gadgets were here --- you were confused on new golf courses then, just like you are now.  No one needs the fancy electronics for their home course, it's highly likely you intuitively know how to play a given hole.  But courses that are strange to you, well, the electronics give a helping hand and that's OK in my book.  We're not pros, but the pros on TV definitely get help from their caddies or wherever when they play courses they're unfamiliar with, and that happens all the time.  And they were getting MASSIVE help from the caddies in the old days, just like we're getting  help from our gadgets today.  I don't think anyone can just "eyeball" a course they've never played at and hope to be competitive against others that are familiar with the course.   

Back in the 60's  I'd hear the old guys in the locker room talk about the "new technology" of sprinkler head yardages being unfair and taking the talent of seeing the shot and feeling the proper yardage and listening to your caddie out of the game.  All these choppers slowing down the round by walking off steps from a sprinkler head only to top a shot and have it roll into the burn!  And the stinkin' golf carts that were taking over and eliminating the caddie and walking the course would surely be the ruination of the game.   🤣  🤣  Just Kidding!

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

9 hours ago, chisag said:

One of the big problems I find with yardage markers is if the pin is middle left and I am 10yds left of the marker that is a much smaller number than if I am 10yds right of the marker and it is easy to be a half club off or more when a rangefinder gives me exact yardage. 

This is the one reason I continue to consider adding a range finder to my bag.  GPS as the same issue (though they do give front middle back distances).  Some of my greens are two clubs front to back... so pin position plays a role. Even the pin sheet is hit and miss... the greens crew does the best they can, but they aren't always consistent to the pin sheet for the day... a rangefinder would solve that issue for me.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I think it is pretty simple, if electronics improve your golfing experience use it if not can it.  You can always have a gps on your phone if your rangefinder battery dies.  Not to mention I have a GPS sx500 I think.  I can walk off yardages if needed but why.  Play golf and be happy!

On 6/21/2022 at 12:55 PM, cnosil said:

GPS and rangefinders are more convenience items for me.  I stared when we had to step off distances based on yardage markers and could do it again if necessary.   Surprised you found a course with no markers.

im mixed about on course shot tracking.  I think I understand my game well enough to know where I need improvement.  

I am pro launch monitors but think some people get too wrapped up in chasing numbers.  

Agree.  When I took up this game in 1984 (late bloomer am now 75 years old) I learned to use the yardage markers on the course to the middle of the greens with the red/white/blue flags placements.  Guess I played for over ten plus years before I decided to get my first Bushnell.   Decided it was much more convenient and helped speed up play.  Also learned the hard way to always carry a spare battery in my bag.  But when my battery went dead, which they will between one to two years if you play a lot of golf (I play three days a week), I went back to reading the sprinkler heads.  But now I am glad I have it at my home course.  When they renovated our course in 2020, they DID NOT put yardage markers on the sprinkler heads for some off the wall reasons.  Maybe the same reason they put in the short flags.  No red/white/blue.  It is all a guessing game unless you keep up with the hole position from hole number one.  And whoever sets the pins does not always set the first hole at the front position.   Not all the guys who work in the course maintenance in the course are well versed in pin setting and do not play golf.  Makes for some interesting placements some days.  The designer said old school flags.  Our original course was built in 1929.  My response was BS.   Anyhow it is now rated #19 Municipal course in the US and everyone comes to play it.   Thank goodness for a good rangefinder, Bushnell Pro XE, my choice and very dependable.  When I go to a new course I am not familiar with, I am usually playing with a member or someone who knows the course, if not, I usually pickup a yardage book, which is very reliable.  We are playing Streamsong (all three courses) in late September.  I have never seen the courses, but each of our foursomes will be provided a fore caddy.  This will help us a lot.     

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

13 hours ago, TitleistMike said:

You want to speed up play, yardage books and fairway markers are all that's needed.

In cart GPS is a waste on carts only days.  I really like my GPS watch that gives me yards front and back. I've usually played my shot before partner has figured out his distance and even thought about club.

I agree with you regarding the (many) golfers who shoot and re-shoot everything on the course and then agonize over which club to use.  My best friend, who keeps a golf GPS app on his phone and is constantly checking it or fumbling around with his phone is even worse -- and God forbid when the app on his phone isn't working or is slow to load!  However, yardage markers on many golf courses are off, and as Sam says some are off by as much as 10-15 yards.  I use a Garmin GPS watch that also gives yardages to reach and to clear all hazards, bunkers, etc.  Since getting this, I have rarely used my Bushnell rangefinder, and the process of checking distances on my Garmin watch takes about three seconds.

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

True. kind of enjoy being "Old School" However, have to rely HRH & her use of "Greta; The Range Finder"  now for Ydge.

Kept it simple "in my own mind" as get ydge to Middle of Green & subtract/add 10 yds if Pin is Front/Back & 5yds if L Side/ R Side. Do not tell HRH this; but, mentally[we'll call it that] still check my distance from Red,Blue, Yellow Markers.

Amazingly; still have a good time in my own mind!!

14 hours ago, TitleistMike said:

Man, I have not seen this at all. In my experience it speeds up play not slowing it down. My guess is it has nothing to do with LRF and everything to do with whom you are playing with. 

On 6/21/2022 at 2:34 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

I would say yes, but with exceptions. It really is a convenience but not having a rangefinder puts my head in a weird space and I struggle due to that. 

The exception being golf is still golf and can be enjoyed with or without these conveniences. Last month we traveled to Rhode Island for wife's cousins wedding. I didn't take my clubs but I did play a round of golf. 2 of my wife uncles took me out and we enjoyed 18 holes. One of her uncles had an extra set I could use see pic 🤮 and I played without any technology (did use phone once as it was a blind shot) 

image.jpeg.f2043230034e5eb4826add185e9450bd.jpeg

Again like I said I played with no technology 🤣. I knew going in that it was just going to be a fun round and had very little expectations going in. But while my score was a couple of shots worse than it would have been it was only about 3 shots and most of that was due to the greens. I was surprised that just guessing at a distance or just saying it was about an 8 iron and then hitting the shot was refreshing and didn't have a huge outcome on score. I didn't even take the time to walk off the yardages. 

Anyway, yes we are too reliant in golf and our daily lives as well, however we each are capable of still enjoying everything with this game without them. Which to me was a little bit surprising. 

I know a guy down here that plays with a set of those irons you have pictured along with a old R-7 quad and one of those copper colored Burner 3 woods. He putts with a old Bullseye also with all of it in a raggety John Daly roaring Lion carry bag. Do not mess with him. I had him for a partner many a time until we got where we could not get a game. He lives upstate from me and I have not seen him since the pandemic

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G