Chipping from 50 yrds in

Handy

I struggle with my chipping. More often than not I come up short. I might get just on the greens or up to the edge. When I try taking a bigger swing quite often I will send it over the greens. I use a 9 iron because I get the best results with it but as said I cone up short. So any tips on how to play chipping, like ball placement, stance- how far apart feet, best club /iron to use,  club angle - handle leaning toward the target?? I know I probably just have to spend the money and get lessons for chipping but any suggestions for now would be appreciated.

Thanks 

• Like 1

50 yards and in would include both pitching and chipping or as I see it called now finesse wedges.   As you start getting over 50 yards it is categorized as distance wedges.   As with anything there are multiple approaches (one club for all or multiple clubs based on desired carry and rollout )and instructors (James Ridyard, Jeff Smith, Stan Utley, James Sieckmann, etc. ) 

in general stance is narrow, weight slightly on front side, ball position influences trajectory, and speed with a little swing length change controls distance.  If your added length is causing it to go too far does that mean it is good contact and going to far or you are hitting it thin and it is going to far?

this video might give you som ideas and should be suitable for anything under 50, yards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIRZMpXltlE/?hl=en

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is all you need

• Like 3

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Thanks Golff2much for the details of how you do it. Also thanks cnosil for the link to a video on different ways to low or high. Per that instructions I think I might be putting to much motion and swing into my attempts.

I failed to mention in my first post that the course I play most on due to being on a league, has the grass fairly long like 3-4 inches around the greens except for a narrow front approach. So I fight that grass high % of time.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is all you need

Not trying to be short at all... 

At my club, I have 12 shots per round that fall into that 30-80 yard range. I am quite familiar with playing this type of shot.  I use a mixture of Sieckmann and Pelz.  All body movement, and almost no hands..

• Like 3

Driver - :taylormade-small:   Stealth 9° Graphite Design Tour AD XC Stiff
Fairway - Cannot find one worth a dang

Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7  Aerotech SteelFiber 110icw  4-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -  Ping PLD Anser (inbound)  Evnroll ER1V/Cameron Phantom 5x/Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider Tour Black/Ping Anser F/Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

I was watching Nelly Korda during the Sunday round this past weekend, and her chips from around the green are flawless in execution.  Just picturing the way she chips while I'm over the ball, improved my chipping (and it is only Wednesday following the tourney).  I need to keep that on my DVR and revisit it when I start struggling.  I recommend watching her stroke to anyone looking for more consistency around the green.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Otto Phlex PLB 45 "L"
  • Srixon ZX 3W & 5W
  • Titleist TSi2 5 Hybrid
  • TaylorMade Stealth 5-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
  • Maxfli Tour / Titleist AVX

This is a terrific short game article for chips around the green from Michael Breed...Golf Digest June, 2018

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/4-steps-to-developing-consistency-and-touch-around-the-greens

• Love 1

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

Titleist Scotty Cameron '21 Phantom X 11.5 Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

I have a few different ways to get to 50 yards.  All carry 54° wedge, 80/20 48° wedge, and various other clubs depending on the lie/conditions.

There are some great tips here, but getting out on the course and trying some different set ups to find out what works for you is the best option.  

As always, Seve Ballesteros is a good model here.  Old techniques, but they work wonders.

• Like 3

I used to do the same thing.  I realized that I was hitting the ball way to softly.  I hit my lob wedge full from 75 yards nice and smooth and from 50ish I would not shoot the yardage and hit it way short.  Now I scope them because from 50 yards I need to hit it 75% or as I tell myself nice and firm.  I rarely leave them short if I scope it.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 * Accra Tour Z TZ6 55 M3 pure 

Fairways: Callaway Rouge 15*  Accra FX 2.0-100F M3 pure  

Hybrid: Callaway Maverick 4&5 Hybrids Accra FX 2.0-100H60 M3 pure  

Irons:  PXG Gen 3 0311 P 6-P  Fujikura Pro 75 pure

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2 50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54* & Renegar RxF  58*

Chipper: Cleveland Smart Sole C 46*  Great for just off the greens in the rough 

Putter: Positive Putter's custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Pro V1, Left Dot if I can get them Testing the Srixon Z-Star divide ball

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I have a few different ways to get to 50 yards.  All carry 54° wedge, 80/20 48° wedge, and various other clubs depending on the lie/conditions.

There are some great tips here, but getting out on the course and trying some different set ups to find out what works for you is the best option.  

As always, Seve Ballesteros is a good model here.  Old techniques, but they work wonders.

One if my favorite things to do during a solo round when the course isn’t busy is to try different shots when I get in close.  Anything from an 8 iron through a 60° wedge can come into play. Lots to learn about the clubs in your bag by doing this. 

• Like 5

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 60g

:titleist-small: TS2 3W w/ Project HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:mizuno-small: T22 54° SW w/ TT DG S400

:callaway-small:  MD3 60° LW 

:ping-small: Anser 2

1 minute ago, ParFore74x said:

One if my favorite things to do during a solo round when the course isn’t busy is to try different shots when I get in close.  Anything from an 8 iron through a 60° wedge can come into play. Lots to learn about the clubs in your bag by doing this. 

I even practice a hybrid chip at 50 yards.  Basically a putt… for when I get to Scotland.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I even practice a hybrid chip at 50 yards.  Basically a putt… for when I get to Scotland.

It has a good chance of being a helpful shot there too. 😀

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: ST-Z w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0 60g

:titleist-small: TS2 3W w/ Project HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 4-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:mizuno-small: T22 54° SW w/ TT DG S400

:callaway-small:  MD3 60° LW 

:ping-small: Anser 2

Thanks everyone for the stellar recomdations and the links to instructions. Every one brings in some different aspect to look how to set up, swing the grip through to the left and how different stance positions affected high or low hits. It looks like my use of a 9 iron was not out of the realm of using but I definitely need to practice the different stance positions, weight on front foot and use mostly upper body to help swing thru. I will need to make some notes from each video and then go practice. 

I did play 9 today and start using my pitch wedge and sand wedge and was getting better results already, but not consistently so to the practice range or local golf course and practice chipping using your suggestions. 

• Like 2

You could do worse than following this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdnHNn3Jd1k&t=0s

:cobra-small:            Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

:srixon-small:                     H85 16° and 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

:mizuno-small:                    MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 51°, 8° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 55°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:mizuno-small:                    T20 59°, 9° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

:scotty-small:                          Phantom X 5.5 34"

:srixon-small:                     ZStar

10 hours ago, Handy said:

I struggle with my chipping. More often than not I come up short. I might get just on the greens or up to the edge. When I try taking a bigger swing quite often I will send it over the greens. I use a 9 iron because I get the best results with it but as said I cone up short. So any tips on how to play chipping, like ball placement, stance- how far apart feet, best club /iron to use,  club angle - handle leaning toward the target?? I know I probably just have to spend the money and get lessons for chipping but any suggestions for now would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Feet close together, try ball position a little forward and make sure you use the bounce of your club.  Weight on front foot too.  Do not do a heavy shaft lean toward front side.  You are delofting club too much.  Club being used shouldn’t matter as it’s about your distance.  So, longer might be 8 iron, shorter might be 58.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Driver: Cobra LTDx 9*

Apex UW 17* and 21*

5H Callaway BB21

6-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore 46*, 50*, 54*, CBX2 58*

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft X or OnCore Elixir

Inside of 50 yards is a putting style stroke with any lofted club. Minimal wrist hinge,

Think of a clock face and ball is 6 and your head is 12. You can rotate shoulders turn arms and club points to about 3, shaft about level, no hinge, some flex, and easily move a ball 50 yards.

Learn what happens at club moved to 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 5 o'clock with Gap, P and 8 and you have an arsenal of tools and ONE swing to rely on.

Shoulder width stance, slightly open, keep hands AWAY from body. If you are shanking, your hands are too close to waist and you are too close to ball. 

Ball is middle to back of stance. You are hitting down naturally.