TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chipping from 50 yrds in

Handy

I struggle with my chipping. More often than not I come up short. I might get just on the greens or up to the edge. When I try taking a bigger swing quite often I will send it over the greens. I use a 9 iron because I get the best results with it but as said I cone up short. So any tips on how to play chipping, like ball placement, stance- how far apart feet, best club /iron to use,  club angle - handle leaning toward the target?? I know I probably just have to spend the money and get lessons for chipping but any suggestions for now would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Use an 8 iron with the same swing...

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

50 yards and in would include both pitching and chipping or as I see it called now finesse wedges.   As you start getting over 50 yards it is categorized as distance wedges.   As with anything there are multiple approaches (one club for all or multiple clubs based on desired carry and rollout )and instructors (James Ridyard, Jeff Smith, Stan Utley, James Sieckmann, etc. ) 

in general stance is narrow, weight slightly on front side, ball position influences trajectory, and speed with a little swing length change controls distance.  If your added length is causing it to go too far does that mean it is good contact and going to far or you are hitting it thin and it is going to far?

this video might give you som ideas and should be suitable for anything under 50, yards

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIRZMpXltlE/?hl=en

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is all you need

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Thanks Golff2much for the details of how you do it. Also thanks cnosil for the link to a video on different ways to low or high. Per that instructions I think I might be putting to much motion and swing into my attempts.

I failed to mention in my first post that the course I play most on due to being on a league, has the grass fairly long like 3-4 inches around the greens except for a narrow front approach. So I fight that grass high % of time.

28 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

This is all you need

Not trying to be short at all... 

At my club, I have 12 shots per round that fall into that 30-80 yard range. I am quite familiar with playing this type of shot.  I use a mixture of Sieckmann and Pelz.  All body movement, and almost no hands..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I was watching Nelly Korda during the Sunday round this past weekend, and her chips from around the green are flawless in execution.  Just picturing the way she chips while I'm over the ball, improved my chipping (and it is only Wednesday following the tourney).  I need to keep that on my DVR and revisit it when I start struggling.  I recommend watching her stroke to anyone looking for more consistency around the green.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

This is a terrific short game article for chips around the green from Michael Breed...Golf Digest June, 2018

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/4-steps-to-developing-consistency-and-touch-around-the-greens

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I have a few different ways to get to 50 yards.  All carry 54° wedge, 80/20 48° wedge, and various other clubs depending on the lie/conditions.

There are some great tips here, but getting out on the course and trying some different set ups to find out what works for you is the best option.  

As always, Seve Ballesteros is a good model here.  Old techniques, but they work wonders.

I used to do the same thing.  I realized that I was hitting the ball way to softly.  I hit my lob wedge full from 75 yards nice and smooth and from 50ish I would not shoot the yardage and hit it way short.  Now I scope them because from 50 yards I need to hit it 75% or as I tell myself nice and firm.  I rarely leave them short if I scope it.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I have a few different ways to get to 50 yards.  All carry 54° wedge, 80/20 48° wedge, and various other clubs depending on the lie/conditions.

There are some great tips here, but getting out on the course and trying some different set ups to find out what works for you is the best option.  

As always, Seve Ballesteros is a good model here.  Old techniques, but they work wonders.

One if my favorite things to do during a solo round when the course isn’t busy is to try different shots when I get in close.  Anything from an 8 iron through a 60° wedge can come into play. Lots to learn about the clubs in your bag by doing this. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

1 minute ago, ParFore74x said:

One if my favorite things to do during a solo round when the course isn’t busy is to try different shots when I get in close.  Anything from an 8 iron through a 60° wedge can come into play. Lots to learn about the clubs in your bag by doing this. 

I even practice a hybrid chip at 50 yards.  Basically a putt… for when I get to Scotland.

12 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I even practice a hybrid chip at 50 yards.  Basically a putt… for when I get to Scotland.

It has a good chance of being a helpful shot there too. 😀

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

Thanks everyone for the stellar recomdations and the links to instructions. Every one brings in some different aspect to look how to set up, swing the grip through to the left and how different stance positions affected high or low hits. It looks like my use of a 9 iron was not out of the realm of using but I definitely need to practice the different stance positions, weight on front foot and use mostly upper body to help swing thru. I will need to make some notes from each video and then go practice. 

I did play 9 today and start using my pitch wedge and sand wedge and was getting better results already, but not consistently so to the practice range or local golf course and practice chipping using your suggestions. 

You could do worse than following this guy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdnHNn3Jd1k&t=0s

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

10 hours ago, Handy said:

I struggle with my chipping. More often than not I come up short. I might get just on the greens or up to the edge. When I try taking a bigger swing quite often I will send it over the greens. I use a 9 iron because I get the best results with it but as said I cone up short. So any tips on how to play chipping, like ball placement, stance- how far apart feet, best club /iron to use,  club angle - handle leaning toward the target?? I know I probably just have to spend the money and get lessons for chipping but any suggestions for now would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Feet close together, try ball position a little forward and make sure you use the bounce of your club.  Weight on front foot too.  Do not do a heavy shaft lean toward front side.  You are delofting club too much.  Club being used shouldn’t matter as it’s about your distance.  So, longer might be 8 iron, shorter might be 58.  

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

Inside of 50 yards is a putting style stroke with any lofted club. Minimal wrist hinge,

Think of a clock face and ball is 6 and your head is 12. You can rotate shoulders turn arms and club points to about 3, shaft about level, no hinge, some flex, and easily move a ball 50 yards.

Learn what happens at club moved to 3 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 5 o'clock with Gap, P and 8 and you have an arsenal of tools and ONE swing to rely on.

Shoulder width stance, slightly open, keep hands AWAY from body. If you are shanking, your hands are too close to waist and you are too close to ball. 

Ball is middle to back of stance. You are hitting down naturally.

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

Thanks shinnman and TitleistMike, definitely going to have to make some notes. I know I have not put more weight on lead foot. I like the idea of practice of swing at 5, 4, and 3 o'clock to know with confidence how far it will go. Will need to do this for tall grass situation and Fairway. I

I assume on a Fairway situation the low projectory would be best, like a bump and run?

Again, it depends on what you have in front of you.  If in the neck, sure take the shot with the least chance of error.  If trap could cause an issue as pin is tight, then you need a lofty club.

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

2 hours ago, Handy said:

Thanks shinnman and TitleistMike, definitely going to have to make some notes. I know I have not put more weight on lead foot. I like the idea of practice of swing at 5, 4, and 3 o'clock to know with confidence how far it will go. Will need to do this for tall grass situation and Fairway. I

I assume on a Fairway situation the low projectory would be best, like a bump and run?

Just keep practicing and playing.  Take lessons too.  I have dropped 6 strokes off my handicap in last year and likely will get it to drop a few more before this year is out.  And if you hit a bad shot, use the Ted Lasso adage of be a goldfish.

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

I practice chipping some with my 60º and my 9i, but 90% of the time I practice with my GW. And most of the time actually playing I use my GW because it's the most dialed in for distance for me, because that's what I practice with most. I do find myself coming up short some days for whatever reason, and I just switch to my 9i for the rest of the round those days, and tell myself it's still my GW. I'm just dumb enough to believe it, and it works for me...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

There are lots of good advice here. 

Im now a firm believer in 1 wedge for all pitch and chips.  Like anything practice is key. I picked up a Cleveland Zipcore 50* full face wedge and use it for everything including sand traps.  I have always considered wedge play to be my saving grace and since going this route it’s even better. I simply adjust face angle, ball placement, and swing length for the type of shot I need to hit. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

On 6/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, Handy said:

Thanks Golff2much for the details of how you do it. Also thanks cnosil for the link to a video on different ways to low or high. Per that instructions I think I might be putting to much motion and swing into my attempts.

I failed to mention in my first post that the course I play most on due to being on a league, has the grass fairly long like 3-4 inches around the greens except for a narrow front approach. So I fight that grass high % of time.

I think we all missed the part about the rough and his struggles with it much of the time.

Handy, that would indicate that you need to work on pitching the ball with a more lofted wedge from that distance instead of trying to hit a bump and run or chip type of shot.  Regardless of the method you like (I'm sure these videos have given you every possible way) you need to find time/place to practice pitching and chipping.  Lots of different methods will work if you will spend some time practicing.

Good luck.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

At fifty yards I am normally pitching with my pitching wedge.  A nice smooth swing.  We have a lot of false fronts.  I practice those shots a bit every morning before I tee off.  Never know when I will need it.  It is all about the lay of the land and how the ball is going to react to the landing area.  Could be a chip and could be a pitch.  Go with whatever that little devil in that six inches between my ears say to hit.  Call it luck if you want, preparation meeting opportunity.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

to Handy:

all the replies are good advice.

the fundamentals of grip and wieght/stance apply to most situations.  (except severe uphill or downhill lies;

where you need to your shoulders parallel the slope - or attempt to)  

experience and imagination are factors.

1)  you say you are always short.   if you have a lot of green to work with, try the first tip - use 8i or even 7i rather than 9i.  also read the green and adjust for slopes.

2)  chipping is an acquired skill.     must practice/experiment various methods and clubs (lofts). 

there is NO one foolproof way.    use your imagination to decide if bump and run is preferable to shorter releases with higher trajectory.   

choose what gives you the most confidence.

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

For 50 yards in there are two common methods. The hinge where you break your wrists and the no wrist.  There are advantages to both.  If you leave most short can try no hinge.  From rough you should open face slightly as easier to get through grass.  That alone with same stroke will make it go farther.  These shots need to be practiced.  The best in the world spend as much time on these as full swing shots. 

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

... This thread is a good example of not only how difficult golf can be, but also how you can achieve a goal in many different ways. I found with most of my students they tended to be more comfortable with one method over another. You can chip effectively with the ball back in the stance, weight forward and make a descending blow to the back of the ball with a stiff or hinged wrist. You can also chip effectively with a more neutral stance, ball in the middle or slightly forward and brushing the grass, basically picking it off the surface using the bounce or the leading edge just underneath the ball. The only way to find out what works best for you is practice and experimenting. If you can find a friend to practice with you, find a green and take turns placing the ball in different spots and whoever gets up and down with the least strokes wins. Makes practice fun. 

... I would add where you are playin can make a huge difference. On lush bent grass courses it is advantageous to hit shots a little fat because the club glides through the grass producing excellent results with a large margin for error. On hard, tight bermuda courses with heavy grain that same shot is a disaster and can stop the club from even getting through the turf slamming on the brakes with no margin for error. Mickelson did an interview during a practice round and said when faced with that type of lie, he uses less loft and bump and runs the shot. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour