TESTERS WANTED! ×

Chipping from 50 yrds in

Handy

I started playing about a 3 yrs ago. I basically use this method with my 3 wedges using the same swing (front hand just passes back hip so 1/3ish swing):

SW(56) -  30-40 yards

AW(50) - 50-60 yards

PW(44) - 70-80 yard

these are standard for normal shots. I adjust for elevation/high wind/if greens are extreme on speed (super slow fast). For example a 50 yard chip over a bunker with a pin just behind it, I will switch to a SW for loft and ideally more spin to get it close. I know I need a little more off my normal chip swing so I adjust how far I go back in my swing with an experienced guess because I have a feel and know my full swing distance (85 -90 yards max).

Under 30 yards, I use sand wedge if I have vertical clearance, others 8i. But under 30 it’s all touch. For chips under 10 yards I go to a “putting” like chipping style with stiff wrists locking in the loft based on what I want to do (roll out vs flop).

I’m around a 20 - 21 hcp because I am a terrible putter (working hard on that) but chipping it the most consistent part of my game and it definitely keeps my score down. When all the other parts of my game are working I can get in the high/mid 80s but it has been a slow start to this year for my total game.

Trying to break 85

On 6/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, Handy said:

I struggle with my chipping. More often than not I come up short. I might get just on the greens or up to the edge. When I try taking a bigger swing quite often I will send it over the greens. I use a 9 iron because I get the best results with it but as said I cone up short. So any tips on how to play chipping, like ball placement, stance- how far apart feet, best club /iron to use,  club angle - handle leaning toward the target?? I know I probably just have to spend the money and get lessons for chipping but any suggestions for now would be appreciated.

Thanks 

FC5ADE5A-49CA-4CCB-9853-78D042CFB0F1.jpeg

Larry A. Merrick 

As always, lots of great suggestions based on experiences.  You have to find the wedge that is going to work for you, based on the type of conditions that you are playing.  I play on greens that have a lot of false fronts and I have to focus on a lot of full shots in to the green.  My coach is constantly reminding me to ensure that I take hands back to nine o'clock.  When I do not I normally end up short of the green.  If I hit it solid, I get a lucky bounce and the ball lands in a good position on the green, if the fronts have not been watered when we play.  I know my wedges and just have to trust them and let that little bird inside tell me whether to go low or high.  I warm up with these shots before I go out.  Want to get a feel for the clubs.  Most just warm up with the driver, but I like to warm up with the scoring club as well.  Just more food for thought.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

On 6/22/2022 at 9:15 AM, Handy said:

I struggle with my chipping. More often than not I come up short. I might get just on the greens or up to the edge. When I try taking a bigger swing quite often I will send it over the greens. I use a 9 iron because I get the best results with it but as said I cone up short. So any tips on how to play chipping, like ball placement, stance- how far apart feet, best club /iron to use,  club angle - handle leaning toward the target?? I know I probably just have to spend the money and get lessons for chipping but any suggestions for now would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Check out Dave Pelz book, "Short Game Bible".  In it he recommends a 'positions of the clock' approach for wedges.  I have found that irons 5i through LW can be applied to this positions of the clock approach.  I have even gone to the driving range to work out distances for each of these clubs based on the back swing used (clock) and put them on a pocket reference card.  The approach even works for woods and hybrids and increases accuracy with softer swings.

4 hours ago, ChuckZ said:

As always, lots of great suggestions based on experiences.  You have to find the wedge that is going to work for you, based on the type of conditions that you are playing.  I play on greens that have a lot of false fronts and I have to focus on a lot of full shots in to the green.  My coach is constantly reminding me to ensure that I take hands back to nine o'clock.  When I do not I normally end up short of the green.  If I hit it solid, I get a lucky bounce and the ball lands in a good position on the green, if the fronts have not been watered when we play.  I know my wedges and just have to trust them and let that little bird inside tell me whether to go low or high.  I warm up with these shots before I go out.  Want to get a feel for the clubs.  Most just warm up with the driver, but I like to warm up with the scoring club as well.  Just more food for thought.  

On any range down here you will see the Motel Package crowd with free range balls. Most only hit the driver to see how far they can hit it. My warm up routine has always been like this whether I am just playing or playing an event. I mostly hit wedges to loosen myself up and being a feel player to time myself up. If I can time myself up with the wedges then I am usually ok. These days I may hit a couple with like the 7 iron and the 9 wood but that is it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

9 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

On any range down here you will see the Motel Package crowd with free range balls. Most only hit the driver to see how far they can hit it. My warm up routine has always been like this whether I am just playing or playing an event. I mostly hit wedges to loosen myself up and being a feel player to time myself up. If I can time myself up with the wedges then I am usually ok. These days I may hit a couple with like the 7 iron and the 9 wood but that is it

... I do NOT welcome you to the bad back club as it is a membership nobody should need. I rarely warm up as I know my back can only take so many swings and I save them for the course. Occasionally when struggling I will hit 10-20 balls max to time myself better with wedges a few irons and a couple of driver swings. But normally it is some stretching, jumping jacks to get the blood flowing and several air swings and then I am good to go. I find the first few holes can be a little off but I have also started with 3 birdies so it is what it is. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I do NOT welcome you to the bad back club as it is a membership nobody should need. I rarely warm up as I know my back can only take so many swings and I save them for the course. Occasionally when struggling I will hit 10-20 balls max to time myself better with wedges a few irons and a couple of driver swings. But normally it is some stretching, jumping jacks to get the blood flowing and several air swings and then I am good to go. I find the first few holes can be a little off but I have also started with 3 birdies so it is what it is. 

Oh yes trust me I do not get real jiggy on the warm up. I do a lot of stretching plus resistance bands. Other than my 10 balls hit with each hand one handed with a wedge I may hit maybe 10 more max. If I feel I have timed it up with a couple then I quit. If I do not time it up then I go on out anyhow. Very rarely do I hit anything other than wedges when practicing. At this stage of life and the bad back I am not going to beat ball after ball. Since I have done my swing changes I have not had any pain. Now when I was doing those changes I did get aggressive and hit about 50 to 100 balls resting every 5 balls every day. I pretty much have that ingrained now so I only hit like 30 or so to stay limber but it is not everyday.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Chipping vs. pitching.  If you're " swinging harder" you might also be breaking wrists more and therefore moving to pitching stroke which require a slightly different approach, maybe different club.  If the strike quality is good that's be what I'd focus on.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:20 PM, chisag said:

I find so many variables from wind to pin placements to elevation that dictate how I hit a particular shot from inside 100 yds. How strong is the wind blowing when faced with a 20-70 yd shot into a 15? 20? 25 mph wind? Standing behind the shot I might choose a gw, pw, 9i or even an 8i depending on how strong the wind feels to me and whether it is uphill or downhill. This will also dictate how low I hit the ball and with how much energy.

This sounds like you're describing Dr. Michael Lardon's pre-shot pyramid

I actually have a reasonably similar approach, especially from 50-110 yards. I take into account as many variables as I can to come up with a 'plays like' number in my head. I then go to the nearest full-swing club I would use for that number and calculate whatever percentage down from that I would need. (For example, my SW full-swing is 97. Call it 100 for easy math purposes. I need 85 yards. So I need an 85% SW.)

Admittedly, the only way this works for me is that I've spent A LOT of time dialing in what these percentages feel like. And it helps that by the time you get to 75%, you're probably close to your next club down. Once I'm inside of 75% of my LW, it's much more about the lie and the needed trajectory/roll-out and then it's a lot of feel and creativity. 

Example: guys at my club know I'm a 'get the ball on the ground as soon as possible' kinda guy. I hit a lot of 8i and 9i bump-and-runs. But I had a shot from about 20 yards that had a severe slope right where I'd want to land my 9i. So I hit a low-flight/high-spin, one-hop-and-stop LW that carried the slope and grabbed right next to the hole. All three of my playing partners, at the same time, said, "whoa! where'd that come from?" It's about playing the course, not playing the shot. Having different ways to get the ball to the hole can be useful sometimes 🙂 

Edited by GregGarner
clarity

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I use my 60 degree for everything 90 yards and in. I’m constantly leaving myself with 40-80 yard shots and as such, I practice them a lot. I just like feeling confident with one club in all those situations.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 7/2/2022 at 3:45 PM, chisag said:

I rarely warm up as I know my back can only take so many swings and I save them for the course.

Ok, That would be an interesting thread...  Pre Round Range, or Not?

When I was younger, I tended to play better walking from my car to the first tee... but as I get older, I need some swings to work out the cobwebs that crept in while I was sleeping.  haha.   I would probably be best served to spend the range time at the chipping area, as I'm usually scrambling my a$$ off through the day 🤣.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

18 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Ok, That would be an interesting thread...  Pre Round Range, or Not?

When I was younger, I tended to play better walking from my car to the first tee... but as I get older, I need some swings to work out the cobwebs that crept in while I was sleeping.  haha.   I would probably be best served to spend the range time at the chipping area, as I'm usually scrambling my a$$ off through the day 🤣.

... I hear ya and I would love to warm up before every round as my course has free range balls with a membership. And battling bronchitis the last 3 weeks I only played once a few days ago and the rust, along with general weakness was apparent. But standing in one spot and hitting balls is a recipe for my back to revolt as I do much better staying in constant motion. So I stretch at home before leaving for the course, then stretch and do some jumping jacks before teeing off. I do miss hitting some wedges and at least 5 drivers before moving to the first tee but have learned to accept my limitations. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 6/22/2022 at 8:44 AM, Muckinfiddle said:

Use an 8 iron with the same swing...

Well, tongue in cheek aside, there is some truth and wisdom in this.  Based on my play experience, and observations of others I play with, "short-itis" is a real thing.  A few years ago, one of my Canadian friends in Yuma suggested I "visit the back of the green" more often... as in club down until you're more regularly pin high and past.  

His argument was that most players don't strike the ball consistently and, more often than not, are getting only 90% or less distance than those flushed hits.  Made sense to me, so I started clubbing down.  Now I only have to deal with the 1-2 shots that overshoot the target instead of the 5-7 that previous came up short.  

Certainly need to adjust this approach on greens that have backside hazards, etc., but it's definitely helped me.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 7/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Well, tongue in cheek aside, there is some truth and wisdom in this.  Based on my play experience, and observations of others I play with, "short-itis" is a real thing.  A few years ago, one of my Canadian friends in Yuma suggested I "visit the back of the green" more often... as in club down until you're more regularly pin high and past.  

His argument was that most players don't strike the ball consistently and, more often than not, are getting only 90% or less distance than those flushed hits.  Made sense to me, so I started clubbing down.  Now I only have to deal with the 1-2 shots that overshoot the target instead of the 5-7 that previous came up short.  

Certainly need to adjust this approach on greens that have backside hazards, etc., but it's definitely helped me.

I wasn't really joking. Many people use different irons to chip. I think there is a percentage calculator of "fly to roll" out there on this but I don't how it can relate to the roll of every green.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

Anything from a 100 yards in takes practice as it requires finesse and touch to hit good pitch and chip shots. For me I use my 56 degree wedge from 110 yards and in. But I also practice a lot with my wedges to develop that touch. I would say start with a pitching wedge and move down from there and find which wedge you can rely on for the majority of your chips. But it will require some work at the range in order to do that. 

Golfnut

Surprised no one has yet suggested using a putter.  As long as there is no tall grass in the way, it’s the easiest club to control — and the safest — your worst putt will be nowhere near as bad as a chunked or bladed pitch or chip.  In Ireland or at Bandon Dunes, I’ll putt from as far as 70 yards out.   Like any other shot, it takes some practice, but if a short shot from a tight lie gives you indigestion, this is the remedy.

On 6/23/2022 at 2:15 AM, Handy said:

Thanks 

Hi, I watched a utube video that Bryson D did just yesterday where he showed how to do the chips your talking about. Sorry I don’t know how to add the link but search on google and I’m sure you will find it, I watched it on my TV but intend to find it on my tablet for future reference. Good luck or someone may already have done it…

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Some more great suggestions, fix u r divot you might have identified the virus I have short-itis. I have had my share of scalding the ball across the green because of not getting under it to flop on the greens. So that makes me slow down the swing in hopes of not hitting past the green and try chipping back again.

Thanks Bang60 I will try find that vedio.

4 hours ago, Handy said:

Some more great suggestions, fix u r divot you might have identified the virus I have short-itis. I have had my share of scalding the ball across the green because of not getting under it to flop on the greens. So that makes me slow down the swing in hopes of not hitting past the green and try chipping back again.

Thanks Bang60 I will try find that vedio.

Well, that could be part of the problem.  This shot has to have some acceleration to it.  The amount depends on the length of the shot, what club you are using, and length of backswing.  Acceleration is key to the shot.  Until your skill level allows you to consistently get the ball on the green and about the correct distance, "flopping" the ball on the green should not be your option unless it's absolutely the only shot available.  

There is no "getting under it".  If you are trying to "help" the ball into the air, that leads to lots of bad things, one of which is "short-itis".  The shot should be smooth like a putt.  You don't try to get under the ball with the putter, and it's the same shot with a club that you feel most comfortable with hitting the correct distance.   That comes with practice and experience on your course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Well, that could be part of the problem.  This shot has to have some acceleration to it.  The amount depends on the length of the shot, what club you are using, and length of backswing.  Acceleration is key to the shot.  Until your skill level allows you to consistently get the ball on the green and about the correct distance, "flopping" the ball on the green should not be your option unless it's absolutely the only shot available.  

There is no "getting under it".  If you are trying to "help" the ball into the air, that leads to lots of bad things, one of which is "short-itis".  The shot should be smooth like a putt.  You don't try to get under the ball with the putter, and it's the same shot with a club that you feel most comfortable with hitting the correct distance.   That comes with practice and experience on your course.

Exactly. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

4 hours ago, Everardo said:

Here you go, Ping just released the ChipR

https://ping.com/en-us/media/news/2022/chipr-intro

I tried one 30 years ago and hated it unless I was in a once a day position just off the green and had a perfect lie....

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 7/12/2022 at 10:31 PM, Bang60 said:

I tried one 30 years ago and hated it unless I was in a once a day position just off the green and had a perfect lie....

30 Years? I mean a lot can change in that amount of time. It's a similar club but newer tech, we're different golfers than 30 years ago. Heck 30 years ago I didn't eat tomatoes but I eat them now, point is things change 😛  Just messing with ya

Edited by Everardo

2 hours ago, Everardo said:

30 Years? I mean a lot can change in that amount of time. It's a similar club but newer tech, we're different golfers than 30 years ago. Heck 30 years ago I did eat tomatoes but I eat them now, point is things change 😛  Just messing with ya

Rick Shields did a review of the ping chipr and said almost the same thing I did, if it works for you why not but bet it's too expensive for me lol...

On 7/13/2022 at 8:29 PM, Bang60 said:

Rick Shields did a review of the ping chipr and said almost the same thing I did, if it works for you why not but bet it's too expensive for me lol...

Yeah saw that, good review and like him I kind of agreed, that's a valuable space in the bag to remove a wedge but who knows, I'm always up for testing. 

2 hours ago, Everardo said:

Yeah saw that, good review and like him I kind of agreed, that's a valuable space in the bag to remove a wedge but who knows, I'm always up for testing. 

I only carry 7 clubs, D 7wood 7 9 G L and putter. I walk so I've lightened the bag...

• 2 weeks later...

I just caught this thread and thought to add my technique...fwiw.

I will use any club from 7i to SW for chipping and pitching, depending on lie and how far I need to carry and factor in roll.  PW rolls out about as far as it carries, 9i the ratio is about 1/3 carry, 2/3 roll.  The longer clubs will roll out more with less carry.  It all depends on the lie, what is between the ball and the green, and how far you need to carry, etc...

I use a narrower stance and put my weight on my front foot to keep weight ahead of the ball and use a left hand dominant strike for 50 yards and in, with the thought of hitting the ball with the back of my left hand.  I use a LW for when I get short-sided or when I am pitching onto a steep slope and need carry with little to no roll out, opening the face as needed.

If I don't think left hand strike, my right hand takes over and I end up blading the ball because I didn't hold my wrist hinge...

Weight forward has helped me make ball-first contact; I was terrible with wedges, hitting fat AND thin shots until I tried this.  Now I'm much more consistent and confident with those shots 50 yards and in. 

I'm 68 now, retired, love the game, and still able to break 80 a couple times a year.  

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash, 9degree, Stock Green EvenFlow 45g, 5.0

3w: Callaway Epic Flash, 15degree, Stock Green EvenFlow, R

(Hobbyist; work on my own clubs for fun:)

3h, 4h, 5h: Maltby M890 (Maltby Pro Series Hybrid shaft, R)

Acer Pro XV 6-Gw (Recoil 660 R)

54*w, 58*w: Maltby TSW (Maltby Pro Series S...using the "spinner shaft" hack, lol)

Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled Putter, 35", plus 2' loft

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

With my weakness being my approach shots off 7, I consider my short game to be pretty good but can have some bad days.

image.png.a94737d86976d289449015d65ddb1a87.png

Really only use 2 clubs a 56' wedge and a PW.

The majority of shots I play are stiff wristed and try to promoted shoulder turn thru the ball with a quiet bottom half.

From around the green my chipping setup is normally off my back foot which promotes the shoulder turn and consistent take away. I look at the chip and the landing area then choose the club that will hopefully get me close to the pin. to run it in I will use the PW, more lofted route 56'. With the 56' I can work it more with the face, opening it for more loft but I try to still keep it off the back foot again for the consistency of swing.

Moving further out It tends to be a similar philosophy with course condition dictating the club. I like to fly the ball onto the green and would normally pick my landing spot, then just use visualization with my 56'. Maybe open the face for a more lofted shot in. At the moment with the dry conditions and firm greens this is impractical, even pitching on the front  it is near impossible to stop the ball. So I'm dropping it short and looking to run it in, club selection is now down to terrain between me and the green, chip and run in with the PW or 56'. With either I again look at the best landing spot and decide which is more likely to hold the green.

Over the years I have noticed if I start setting up further forward the more inconsistent my strikes become, if my wrists come into play again the more inconsistent my strikes become.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag