Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Scratch golf how did you get there ?

Hello everyone, new member from Scotland and first post.

I am basically just interested in peoples story on how and what it took for them to be a scratch golfer ? 

I remember a golfer said to me when I first played. That a lot of scratch golfers usually get to that level after the first few years of playing or not at all. Is this true ? any one out there that got to scratch after say 10/15 years ?

I took golf up 18 months ago and I am currently 13 handicap. Goal is single figures by end of year then maybe one day who knows try and get to scratch .

Edited by MrEleven

Driver Ping G425 max

3wood Ping G425 max

2iron Ping crossover 

4hybrid Ping G425

Irons Mizuno pro 225

48 wedge vokey sm8

52 wedge vokey sm8

58 wedge vokey sm8

Putter ping 2021 Oslo H

3 hours ago, MrEleven said:

I am basically just interested in peoples story on how and what it took for them to be a scratch golfer ? 

I remember a golfer said to me when I first played. That a lot of scratch golfers usually get to that level after the first few years of playing or not at all. Is this true ? any one out there that got to scratch after say 10/15 years ?

I took golf up 18 months ago and I am currently 13 handicap. Goal is single figures by end of year then maybe one day who knows try and get to scratch .

First let me say welcome aboard.

In my case it took me 32 years to get to a .6 although not quite scratch it will probably be as close as I ever will get as I didn't start playing golf until I was 30 years old. I started playing because I was tired of having to work late to cover for everyone on the golf league at work. Golfers got to leave after lunch and non golfers had to cover for the others. So I took up golf. After some lessons and club purchases I joined the league the next season. From that point on I was hooked.

But obviously it was a slow process every year I would knock a few strokes off the handicap. It wasn't until I really focused on the short game that the big drops happened. I built my own practice facility at the house with putting green, sand trap and nets for full swings. Then I relocated 10 years later and made a bigger practice facility with 100 yard tee box and a 50 yard tee box with a green that would accept 150 yard shots, a bigger sand trap and put a simulator in one of the bays of my garage. This allowed me to practice all year. 

What was lacking was a bit more focus. It was like going to a driving range and smacking balls just at home. Then a few years ago I got involved with MGS and was able to do some testing on equipment and balls. So now with the desire to do quality testing and write-ups I increased my focus. Then the 4 or 5 handicap dropped to the .6 I was at last year.  The lower you get the harder it is to lower the handicap even more. Plus it is all dependent on where you play, the course rating and slope. I'm a .6 at my home course but don't post rounds from other courses as much as I should so it is not what I would call a traveling handicap.   

But in your case, for someone that only started playing 18 months ago and your down to a 13 already, is very impressive.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Distance

Strokes gained

GIR

Absolutely not true that you can't get there after playing for a long time. I got there at the age of 42 after playing for 24 years. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

11 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

First let me say welcome aboard.

In my case it took me 32 years to get to a .6 although not quite scratch it will probably be as close as I ever will get as I didn't start playing golf until I was 30 years old. I started playing because I was tired of having to work late to cover for everyone on the golf league at work. Golfers got to leave after lunch and non golfers had to cover for the others. So I took up golf. After some lessons and club purchases I joined the league the next season. From that point on I was hooked.

But obviously it was a slow process every year I would knock a few strokes off the handicap. It wasn't until I really focused on the short game that the big drops happened. I built my own practice facility at the house with putting green, sand trap and nets for full swings. Then I relocated 10 years later and made a bigger practice facility with 100 yard tee box and a 50 yard tee box with a green that would accept 150 yard shots, a bigger sand trap and put a simulator in one of the bays of my garage. This allowed me to practice all year. 

What was lacking was a bit more focus. It was like going to a driving range and smacking balls just at home. Then a few years ago I got involved with MGS and was able to do some testing on equipment and balls. So now with the desire to do quality testing and write-ups I increased my focus. Then the 4 or 5 handicap dropped to the .6 I was at last year.  The lower you get the harder it is to lower the handicap even more. Plus it is all dependent on where you play, the course rating and slope. I'm a .6 at my home course but don't post rounds from other courses as much as I should so it is not what I would call a traveling handicap.   

But in your case, for someone that only started playing 18 months ago and your down to a 13 already, is very impressive.  

This is such an awesome story of getting into golf. I’m not sure anyone will top this. Priceless. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

15 hours ago, MrEleven said:

I once got a lesson from a guy that played on tour who said if you hit balls or play once a month or so, you won’t get markedly better. You need to commit to practicing intently on all aspects of the game to improve. Pay attention to weaknesses and work on making them strengths.

I play with a guy who is a club champ, and if you watched him swing you’d have no idea how he shoots low. His biggest advice is to learn how to manage the game within what you can do. Par is a great score, and bogeys aren’t bad. Doubles are killer. Getting out of position is based on a desire for birdie that you just aren’t getting, or trying to save par when that ship has sailed (we were talking about high school golfers who can keep the ball from slicing like a banana).

I find I’ve gotten down to an 11, then stagnate because I don’t keep practicing during the offseason. I’ll climb back up to 13, then get down to 10 or so by the end of season. Dedicated practice will be the only thing that gets you to the finish line. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

13 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Distance

Strokes gained

GIR

Absolutely not true that you can't get there after playing for a long time. I got there at the age of 42 after playing for 24 years. 

Excellent! That gives us all some hope! Just need to put in the effort and time!

Some people are just that gifted... remember the male club champion in my old club... teenager who used to play tennis... picked up golf and within 10 months he was a +0.2 

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Thank you everyone who replied. I went in to talk to my club pro today. I have only had maybe 5 or so lessons so far with him and its always just been get the 7 iron out and let’s have a look sort of thing.

So today I asked if I could pay him just to follow me around my course and not give any input, just watch me the way I naturally play and then come up with a plan after my round on how to get better and shave a few shots of the handicap. I was thinking I’ve never had a lesson on putting or chipping only ever irons or driver . So very well could need them looking at. Hopefully I can reach my goal by end of September fingers crossed.

Driver Ping G425 max

3wood Ping G425 max

2iron Ping crossover 

4hybrid Ping G425

Irons Mizuno pro 225

48 wedge vokey sm8

52 wedge vokey sm8

58 wedge vokey sm8

Putter ping 2021 Oslo H

This is something I've been working towards as well. I got my handicap as low as 2.7 back in 2018, but I've been hovering around 4 since. It goes up and down as being in Ohio it's tough to get swings in during those winter months. I've really worked on the mental side which has allowed me to go as low as I have. Also, when things get really off I just go see a pro as he can correct me in one lesson rather than spending a week on the range trying to figure it out myself. Right now I'm working on my weaknesses - which is the putter and more consistency off the tee. The days I'm driving the ball great are when I go into the mid-70s but if I can't keep it straight I can be 10 shots worse. Lots of putting practice at home and a new focus. I have to get back to what I used to do and trust it more. Not that I'm an awful putter, but it's been going the wrong direction the last year and a half, and I want to get back to my 30 or better per round.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

16 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

This is such an awesome story of getting into golf. I’m not sure anyone will top this. Priceless. 

Maybe the story was priceless, but I sure put a lot of money into it! 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag