TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Ball Pick Up Devices?

The best pick up device is your hand.  Bend over and pick it up.  

These devices that attach to your putter have a tendency to damage the hole when people are trying to retrieve their ball from the cup.  Please avoid them.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

The best pick up device is your hand.  Bend over and pick it up.  

These devices that attach to your putter have a tendency to damage the hole when people are trying to retrieve their ball from the cup.  Please avoid them.

Second this! For the love of god don't use either end of your putter or any device to pick up the ball out of the cup. It screws it up for everyone else, show some courtesy to other golfers. Watch were you step and bend over to retrieve the ball with your hand.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

You could just stick your putter in the cup, cause that shouldn't cause any damage to the hole.🙄

ping-sigma-2-fetch-platinum-putter-adjustable-414400_1000x1000.jpg.00d71b00a9891241989abfe045b562b1.jpg

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

While I generally agree with the above posters about cup damage, I’ll assume you have a physical disability that inhibits your ability to bend over and pull the ball out if the hole.  With these devices attaching to the end of the putter and being generally smaller than you hand you can retrieve the ball without damaging the hole.   
I haven’t used any of these devices but there are various models and they all seem to work in the same manner and would guess they are all fairly equal in performance.  Because of this interpretation I would go with the cheapest option.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

They work alright. I've seen some guys use the cheap little suction cups that have the small post that sticks into the hole at the end of the grip with lots of success. I've never seen someone damage a hole when using a ball retriever attached to the end of a grip. Sticking a grip down into the hole is way better that trying to scoop out the ball with a putter head. 

2 hours ago, Headhammer said:

You could just stick your putter in the cup, cause that shouldn't cause any damage to the hole.🙄

ping-sigma-2-fetch-platinum-putter-adjustable-414400_1000x1000.jpg.00d71b00a9891241989abfe045b562b1.jpg

The older guys in my league are amazed when I do that with my Heppler Fetch. They all want to know what model it is so they can get one. 

Driver: :cobra-small: LTDx
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 6-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   
bloodline(2).png.8f7245797de1f39b93a647d0292c1b2b.png Vale
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I am also going to assume you have a disability that prevents you from taking the ball out of the cup manually.  Any of the devices would work but the suction cups can eventually harden and not work.  Whatever you use, pull the pin first so that you can avoid the cup edges and you'll be fine.

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

Here is the solution.

Hand Taking A Golf Ball Out Of A Golf Hole Seen From Below Stock Photo,  Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 15333649.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

To clarify my comment about damaging the hole....first, by all means, if you're physically disabled and can't bend over, yes use a device to help.  Anything that allows you to play is great.    How the hole gets damaged is because they are lazy, careless, or just don't care and they don't take the time to ensure that they are careful when retracting the ball and they typically put their putter grip in at an angle then pull it out at an angle (rather than straight up and down without the shaft touching the hole).  I've seen it happen time and time again and no matter how much I might chastise a playing partner, a few holes later they do it again.  For all of you that utilize such a device and take the time to ensure that you don't damage the sides of the hole -- kudos to you and my comment does not apply to you.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Thanks for all the comments and feedback!  I totally agree on the hole damage thing that many mentioned.  After researching this, I decided to go with the Python Putt Retriever I mentioned above. It’s a different kind of tool for picking up the ball and it specifically says it doesn’t damage the hole.  Seems like a pretty neat gadget.  Gonna give it a try and will circle back here with any comments on it.  Thanks again!

5 hours ago, silver & black said:

If you can't bend over to take the ball out of the hole, how do you bend over to tee the ball up?

We had a guy here that was in our group that has Parkinson's and the guys would drive him, tee the ball and he had a pick up thing on his club to get his ball for him. This went on for 4ish years, at least 3 times a week.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

I have never seen so much animosity towards a product on this forum before. I mean, we're even questioning disabilities. Get a grip people! Sticking the grip end of a putter into a hole is not going to damage it any more that someone being careless replacing the pin back in the hole. Heck, it probably less damage that would impact the roll of a ball because you don't have to put all your weight on one foot or towards the toes next to the hole to bend over causing a depression in the green. I may get a suction cup for my putter grip out of spite of this forum. Jeez.

On 6/29/2022 at 12:29 PM, Muckinfiddle said:

We had a guy here that was in our group that has Parkinson's and the guys would drive him, tee the ball and he had a pick up thing on his club to get his ball for him. This went on for 4ish years, at least 3 times a week.

That's pretty cool of you guys to do that for him.👍

8 hours ago, Kansas King said:

I have never seen so much animosity towards a product on this forum before. I mean, we're even questioning disabilities. Get a grip people! Sticking the grip end of a putter into a hole is not going to damage it any more that someone being careless replacing the pin back in the hole. Heck, it probably less damage that would impact the roll of a ball because you don't have to put all your weight on one foot or towards the toes next to the hole to bend over causing a depression in the green. I may get a suction cup for my putter grip out of spite of this forum. Jeez.

Lighten up Francis 😉...🙂.  I just asked a common sense question. I don't care at all if someone wants to use a ball pick-up thingy. Muckinfiddle set me straight 🍻

13 hours ago, silver & black said:

That's pretty cool of you guys to do that for him.👍

It was good of the guys to do this. However as good as it was, he would have never done it or tolerated for anyone else in his younger years according to just about everyone close to him. 

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

I had an elderly friend who used a device like the one in this video.  It allowed him to play into his 80's.

:callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX, Project X Cypher Black 40 Graphite 5.5

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

• 2 weeks later...

I have something like the Nickel retriever on the end of my putter.  I don't know the brand, got it at the local golf shop for like $5.  I've had recurrent back injuries over the last few years, and last summer when I picked golf back up I tweaked it picking a ball out of the cup.  So I headed down to pick up one of these.  I still CAN bend over, but usually if I need to touch the ground (ie. placing a tee) I squat down rather than bend at the waist.  Putting one of these on has been great for me.  Just means I have to bend over that much less during a round, which means my back feels that much better after.  Honestly, when I read this thread, initially I was pretty shocked at how mad people were getting about these devices.  But although I always take care to pick up my ball gently, I know not everyone would.  When I think of the number of people I have seen leaving cigarette butts on tee boxes, not raking bunkers, not fixing divots, not fixing pitch marks on greens, or abusing golf carts... well ya, I can definitely see people wrecking cups with these devices.  Bottom line, if it helps you, great!  But like anything else on the course, respect your surroundings and take care of where you play.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

• 11 months later...

Damaging the hole is nonsense. I've been using the Nickel retriever for years and have never ever caused any damage fishing my ball out of the hole. The only damage I've seen is guys yanking the flagstick out of the hole at an angle and slamming it onto the turf or slamming it back in the hole. I'm 89 and still out there.

BallPickUp2.png.webp.0153122eba872842430b93a6fdc06122.webpBallPickUpwithBall.png.webp.ba96782ec1f1745f1f96d56dd4c19ebe.webp

Has anyone tried the new pick-up device from SuperStroke? Looks like it would get destroyed going in and outta the bag!

Edited by Headhammer

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18