TESTERS WANTED! ×

Back into the Game. Need Help Choosing Irons

Getting back into the game after about a 10yr hiatus. I ended up selling my old set of clubs years ago and looking to fill a bag again. Went to my local PGA SS over the weekend and hit a few different irons (P790s, T200s, and a few of the strictly GI sets like the G425s and Rogues). I liked the feel of the 790s and the T200s and was able to hit them fairly well. My question is, would you recommend getting fitted for one of these newer sets of irons, or looking for something second hand for the time being, taking lessons to get my swing back, and getting properly fitted for a new set down the line? If the latter, which set of used irons would you look for to compare to the current T200 or P790 models?

Thank you all in advance and couldn't be more excited to start playing again!

Could be good to a bit of a combo. If you're able to get a free fit and find your basic specs (length and lie angle) then go for a older set of p790s or look at Sub70 which have some great priced irons. Take a lesson or two and eventually when you're ready look at a newer set.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

What was your game before the 10 year hiatus and what was the old set you sold? That might give a reference...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I like the idea of using a cheaper set of clubs and then getting lessons. Allow some time to go by to see where your game goes and make a newer purchase from there. Golf equipment is at a all time high price and their still are back orders on equipment so you could be waiting depending on what you order vs a used set that is right there 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I think it is important to get a basic fitting.  Lie, length and shaft profile.  If you get an ill fitting set of clubs, you will build compensations into your set up and swing that will be hard to undo later.  If your shaft profile is wrong, it will just be frustrating and inconsistent.  The basic fitting is based primarily on your physical build--height, arm length, base set up, so it shouldn't change much as you progress with lessons.  If you are not too far off average, (overly short or tall, or don't have long or short arms), a standard set would probably be okay to start with if you can't find a free or inexpensive fitting. 

I would look for a good set of used irons or consider a set of new clubs from a direct to consumer brand.  I have used Gigagolf in the past and found their clubs to be well made and they are moderately priced.  There are other good "off brand" club builders, but I only have experience with Gigagolf.  I wouldn't buy new from a major brand just yet.  As you take lessons and practice and play, your preferences will change.  Save some money now and treat yourself to a new set once you've taken lessons and settled into your game.  Irons don't change much year to year.  An older set isn't going to perform all that differently from a new set.  

And take lessons.  it is critical to learn a good set up--grip, alignment, balance and posture at the beginning.  Develop sound fundaments and the game will be much easier. Develop bad fundamentals, and you will always be fighting inconsistency and building in compensations.  

Finally, I recommend your read the book Extraordinary Golf, by Fred Shoemaker before taking lessons.  It is not a how to book, but more of an "approach golf this way" book that will help you choose and instructor and to get the most out of lessons.    

Throw me into the basic fitting, used clubs camp - alfriday 101 nailed it when he wrote that the wrong length/like could create all sorts of bad habits that become hard to undo later.  Once you know the basic fit it should be easy enough to find an older used set.  Then take some lessons and perhaps make getting a new set a goal for next season.

Best wishes, let us know how your journey goes.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was fit for both the 2019 P790's and the original T200's and ended up hitting Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metals the most consistent. With that, I did play with the new P970's and they were amazing. LOVED EM. 

Charleston, SC

HDCP 13.0

• Driver: :taylormade-small:  M6 9* with 65g Stiff Mitsubishi Tensei Red shaft
  • 3 wood: :ping-small:  G425 stiff shaft
  • 5 wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 stiff shaft
  • 4-gw irons:  :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal w/ X-stiff KBS 130gr shafts (soft stepped)
  • Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60 
  • Putter: 34" Scotty Cameron 12.5
  • Ball: :titelist-small: ProV-1x
  • Tracked By: :Arccos:

MGS Tester '20 - :ping-small: G710 Iron Review

MGS Tester '19 - :918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX9 HD Pro laser rangefinder

I would say look at your budget and buy what you want. I don't think any of the irons you mentioned would be bad for your situation. I've actually found that club fitting doesn't change significantly for a golfer as they improve IF they don't go on some big weight lifting or swing speed regiment. Even though you're swing may not be great, how hard you swing and you're general length/lie measurements won't change much over time. Anything that does change such as lie angle can be adjusted as needed. So I would say that if you feel like you're swinging "okayish", buy what you want and get fitted. Absolute worst case scenario is that you need shafts in a year or two but that's unlikely if you're getting fit into steel shafts. 

On 6/27/2022 at 1:02 PM, alfriday101 said:

I would look for a good set of used irons or consider a set of new clubs from a direct to consumer brand.  I have used Gigagolf in the past and found their clubs to be well made and they are moderately priced.

Agree!  When I started playing again 20 years ago, I purchased a set of Gigagolf irons to get started with(played with them for 11 years) .  Then when I realized I was improving and going to stick with the game, bought a set of much more aggressively lofted Burner 2.0's.  Used those for 7 years, and now have likely my last set of Mavrik Pro's.  And I  bought the Mavriks primarily as a retirement gift to myself, and in the process(due to even slightly more aggressive lofting of Mavriks) was able to fill in 125 yard gap I was missing, and add 52 degree wedge.

My point, like others is that I would not spend big money on clubs  right away.  If this time the game "traps" you like it did me, then as time goes by you can, as you see fit purchase "new and better" equipment for specific reasons(Important to you!)  , where your game is concerned.  But for what its worth I went from shooting 105ish when I started with the Gigagolf clubs, to shooting in the 80's with them before I bought the 2 Year old Burners($400 @ 2012ish)!!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 2 weeks later...

All depends on your budget. The newer tech in clubs is enticing but a lot of lightly previously used set for a deal. It’s like cars - are you a new car or pre owned car buyer?

Back in the game after a 15 year hiatus and loving every minute of it. 

Lessons and fitting can go hand in hand. Getting clubs that don’t work with your swing will make swing flaws worse 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1